Hi Holla Forums

Hi Holla Forums.
I have little experience encoding videos with high sucess in my result.
I encoded a video, failed in getting it how I wanted, tried again, failed and so and so until finally I did it. And I've been testing and making experiments and shit with new videos.
But mostly I don't know what I'm doing so I want to create this thread so I and if anyone elses can gatter new info an experience.

So I got "Oban Star-Racers" recently and got it encoded like crap.
Shit wouldn't play on anything or will have sync problems, the total bitrate was huge for such little data rate, so I decided to fix it and did it.
But since I now wanted to fix it's resolution to (712x572 to 720x576) I decided to research and see how more efficient could I make it.
I learned some stuff and among that more questions appeared.

I would understand it if it was 3D+48fps but no. My guess is that they go full "Level 5.2" and "High 4:4:4"
So is it really worth it? There's no doubt that official Blu-Ray's look somewhat better than any under-3.5GB counterpart in torrents but is it really worth it pumping them to 2GB per episode?
Talking about being worth it. 10-bit MKV yay or nay?

excellent taste

it could just be stretched video from 720, they do that shit a lot with anime apparently
do some research on that first

I don't really mean about resolution.
Like if I compressed a 18Mb/s movie from a Blu-Ray to let's say 5000kb/s, which is the average data rate on fHD movies from Torrents (that look just as good anyways) will it suffer a quality downgrade?

I want to learn how to encode by quality approximation.
As up today I've been using avg. Bitrate, and while's a safer bet, from time to time it shows its deficiencies.
Like while I was encoding Mystery Incorporated, first I got it on 720p and this is the only TV series at 720 I've seen that goes up to 5000kbs avg. bitrate, later I got it on 1080p and it was at 8000kbps now.
I discovered that I could lower it to 3500kbps (I use this as standard for 1080p TV animation) without any perceivable quality drop (That was like a size 300mb smaller) but for some scenes.

Now I know avg. Bitrate encoding lowers or adds bitrate to each frame so each frame is the same size as the one you entered and that quality encoding keeps everything proportional but is a gambit, you'll never know that quality or size of the output file, how to use quality encoding better guys, is a loss of time and CPU otherwise.

I don't know man
I say just wing it and if it comes out shit do it again less shit until you find the sweet spot

Yes, you will suffer a loss of quality. Torrents also lose quality compared to bluray. If you're watching it on a 15" laptop monitor you may not be able to see it but it's pretty easy to tell on a quality large screen.

Then how do they fucking do it?
Because some of those movies look fantastic in my 60" screen, despite being 2500kbps and their bitrate is almost touching the data rate, which measure two different things but are related.
Although I do notice a static framerate like a TV streaming, but if you jump to 4000kbps it looks just as good as the Blu-Ray with sizes as small as 5GB.
I'm guessing they open as many GOP's as possible and encode on placebo speed with quality approximation.
But still, whatever magic they're doing makes h.265 look completely redundant.

creating pirated movies is their job. they've probably spent countless hours fucking with bitrates and encodings and quality checking.

i'm also sure they've got decent hardware acceleration so they can test quickly

THEN WHY NOT ANY OFFICIAL COMPANY DOES FUCKING THAT
If they did it and sold movie series collections with the least amount discs as possible, lowering the production cost and the shipping prices, then piracy would really have a hard time and they would still have a sizeable income considering the amount of people that would start buying those things but instead they just add DRM's.
Big companies surely have hardware that makes any RARBG computer look like a fucking joke.

God knows I'll be buying Blu-Rays if they weren't so shit and expensive.

Because there's still people that wouldn't buy them and making them that efficient would just make piracy easier.

Finally a thread about this.
So guys, I opened my GOPs and the output video looks okay and everything but the system reads that it has 12fps, shouldn't it stay the same since it has the same anount of I frames as before and only the P frames were cut?

VP9 ot HEVC?

VP9.
The problem with h.265 is that the 200% bitrate efficiency only works if you leave your PC working that shit for 18 hours straight, the downside is that VP9 is even less compatible than HEVC.

Depends on the source material too. If it's anime, there's probably not enough detail in a frame to matter much how it's encoded. For regular movies though, look for a loss of fine detail in embroidery for example, and colour banding instead of a smooth gradient. There's also typically a smearing effect on fast action scenes. Lightning/strobe light/flickering fire light are also too challenging for overcompressed video to keep up with.

There's too much retarded shit in here to even start replying.

Because idiots buy them.

Because idiots buy them.

We've been at this since Amiga, VHS and DivX ;-) 3.11 bringing you quality propaganda at a bit rate that plebs could download on their dial-up/early DSL connection.

We don't and nothing we do aside from filter chains is hidden. If you want to see encoding profiles just use the tools to look for yourself.

Profit

You aren't the targeted demographic

I feel you, user. I don't frequent Holla Forums, so I'm stuck somewhere trying to figure out if everyone is just joking around, or if there's some weird alternative uses for terms I already understand, or if there's really that much misunderstanding here.

Well, at least OP admitted that all he knows comes from experimentation.

Yea OP obviously didn't do much searching around.

OP I'm sorry for begin a dick but you should have did some research. I'm going to give you a short reply here right now because I need to go but here is the short version to why we get good quality out of lower bitrates:

We've gotten really good at using filter chains and those codecs to get great quality. The big studios don't do this because they can just throw extra bits at the problem and since selling series on more discs means more profit they don't mind screwing you over. In the case of anime the Japanese region releases might only have a couple of episodes per disc but the quality is outstanding in most cases. Those are preferred to the American releases because typically they cram as many episodes as possible per disc on those and do a bad job (in most cases).

If you want to learn lurk some forums like doom9. Don't use the website much because a lot of the information is outdated last time I checked you want to find the recent FAQs in the forums. As for x265 it is kinda worth it and kinda not. Same goes for 10bit x264, it helps for certain forums (especially animation) but it isn't supported by a lot of set top devices. VP9 is good to learn too but suffers from the problem of not begin widely supported on devices that are not PCs.

Hope that helps and you weren't just bating.

Oh and what I meant by supporting set-top devices is we have to use lower x264 levels/profiles so a lot of stuff is locked off like ultra high bitrates/resolutions. When you're releasing to a wide audience the goal is to have the file play on everything they might use without issue. This is why you see certain groups that just focus on really high quality stuff (like x265/FLAC in .mkv), it's a niche that most leechers either can't play right now at an acceptable frame rate. Others don't want that because they want to watch on their TV that supports x264 and nothing else. Same release you still see XviD releases as lots of folks use original Xbox/Wii consoles are their media centers.

Sorry for triple posting, polite sage.

On filters:

A lot of what we do involves cleaning up a source. For example if you remove film grain you save a lot of bitrate but you have to be careful with this. It's easy to remove too much detail. We'll also smooth things out then apply filters to sharpen edges. These are just simple explanations it's a lot more complicated than just blindly throwing filters at a source, over smoothing it, then shitting out something. For example with old sources I might spend weeks restoring each episode by balancing out color levels, brightness, contrast, removing dirt/grain for a source, plenty of things like that. I mostly work with animation (Japanese and old 90s Cartoons) that were butchered when they got released on VHS/DVD/BluRay.

The last series I did this with was Duck Tales. I only got through four episodes before I quit distributing them out of paranoia. I got word that kickass torrents was going to get raided about 2 months before it did so I pulled the plug on the one man group I had started. I had a lot of restoration projects planned (90s cartoons mostly) and was even going to order a bunch of sources directly from studios. Lots of stuff that isn't on the internet but alas I'm one man and I needed help I couldn't get.

I managed to release the best copy of Fritz the Cat on the 'net before I quit. I had to give it lots of bitrate because film grain was used throughout the movie by the director/artists and removing it would have butchered it. It's actually better than the only retail release that exists. It's on my HDD somewhere I'll upload it for you.

the production of a disc is around 1$.
being more efficient is irrelevant when you only save a few cents when your profit is already +20$

Thanks a lot user.
Definitely doing more research here.
Why don't you move to Mexico?
You have real net neutrality here and as long as you don't upload CP nobody gives a fuck.
Did you used to charge money for the work or you just felt that feeling of fulfilment after making a video as most efficient as it could be?

use ffmpeg, not some retard-tier gui

I started using ffmpeg until I realized Xmedia Recode can do everything ffmpeg can, and unlike handbrake and company XMR isn't a ffmpeg GUI.