What do you feel are the biggest problems with the programming community at large?

What do you feel are the biggest problems with the programming community at large?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wTVfAMRj-7E
titanians.org/the-bill-of-ethics/
aboutthebsds.wordpress.com/2013/01/25/20/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pajeet, copypasting everything like Pajeet, everyone must learn to code no matter what and allowing the SJW infiltration.

SJWs and nu-male betas for enabling them in the first place.

I don't know much about the community, but god damn are the standards high for being a programmer. There's so many things you need to know and it never ever ends.

agile development and other "program first, maybe shittily design later" methodology, blind worship of the C programming language, web development in general, and SJW infiltration

You described my classmates. We were given the assignment of programming blackjack and I was the only one in the entire room making drawings while everyone else went straight to work. I ended up finishing before nearly all of them and spent most of the class helping those people who didn't plan shit out rather than touching up on my own program.

Reasonless change - smart people to spend time churning code instead of actual thought.

Dependency hell - npm ideas will infect everything else, Rust's Cargo by design will create dependency hell.

Politics - You will be expected to have a a CoC or be a nazi, there will be no middle ground because the SJWs will not allow people to just be left alone to code.
This one is really obvious right now with the new fork of NTP called NTPsec, because Eric Raymond is heading it and making frank blog posts about how outdated the security practices are and how much historical cruft the code has the community is upset about how "mean" he is instead of addressing the real problems.
Tone is starting to matter more than code.

Too much thoughtless theory - Tutorials are starting to sound like overly worded compsi papers with some memes embedded about how the new thing will be how to mash riak, redis, nginx and nodejs together without anyone actually load testing.
Stories are popping up all the time with people moving away from this microservice nightmare into simple boxes running postgres.

they still write code with string injection vulnerabilities after the year 1990 and conclude that security is hard and we need more e-police

So I'm no programming expert. But wouldn't doing let a+a=b actually change the value of a and not b? Because you're not comparing but are making a statement instead?

pajeet enablers

It has nothing to do with programming.
let a+a=b simply establishes a relationship between a and b for the purposes of the proof.
Many languages adopted the term let, but it doesn't mean exactly the same thing in programming as it does in maths.

checking this excellent post

The open source community is just terrible. Arrogant but don't have a reason to be, since they can't write any good software.

When the hell did women collectively decide it would be fun to shave off their real eyebrows and smear turdstains above each eye instead?

OpenBSD is quality software. But their culture is different from most open-source projects. Subversions like SJWs are not tolerated. It's like Yuri said: you can't subvert those who don't want to be, those who actively resist at every step.

The majority of programmers are teenagers in the bodies of adults who only program because they failed at everything else, which isn't to say that they don't fail at programming as well.

Their inability to communicate like adults and instead sperging out like autistic children

this is important stuff in this post

holy fuck yes

this shit has been 100% understood and 100% solved years ago... but babbies still want to use PHP. Pathetic.

It should not be an issue at all but it still is just because people choose the wrong tools.

sad but true. programming attracts bullied loser nerds, that's why they're so bizarre, antisocial and hostile. Even to people innocently asking questions.

You can say the exact same thing about buffer overruns and babbies still wanting to use C.

Is this Eric "multiple arbitrary code execution vulnerabilities in a program for fetching mail" Raymond?

this

BSDs, Illumnos and it's utilities are pretty arrogant but do have a reason to be.

Ride the autism train:
youtube.com/watch?v=wTVfAMRj-7E
Hours of BSD guys interviewing an ex Sun dev about all the mistakes Linux is making and could've avoided if they just bothered to look at the work BSD and Solaris did.

Diversity.

Seriously why do we keep making apps for these cunts?

They keep making apps for themselves.

The fact that they all took Computer Science instead of Electrical Engineering is the biggest problem. You cannot program without understanding what computers really are and what they are really doing when you write a for loop.

I've been learning EE and there appears to be a sentiment that the best debugging guys are hardware guys.

Many modern programming languages have so many abstractions you forget you're just shoving bits into registers.

There are people programming right now who have a better understanding of Javascript prototypes than what a stack is.

Wanna know how I can tell you're an idiot?

That's because debugging practices for hardware are decades ahead of the ones for software. Fuzzing and whatnot is old hat to them. It stems from hardware mistakes being much more costly and difficult to fix.

Daily reminder that computer science is not a degree in computer programming.

Carpenter community.
Plumbing community.
Bus driver community.
Letter carrier community.
Sous Chef community.
'I think you're fucked in the head, OP.

About learning:
The teaching process is completely pushed by external lobbyist like Microsoft or Cisco.
Also Like this user said

About behaving:
Like this user said Politics is the cancer of the software community.
This is bullshit and should come into the equation.
Anyway if someone try to shove a CoCk onto you just say that you have chosen the bill of ethics.
titanians.org/the-bill-of-ethics/
It's not a CoC by itself but it's pretty based for shutting down retarded people who don't care about the project.

aka=gimp
But at least they finally passed to gegl... after 15 years.

About Feuds:
In my understanding of the free software and open source communities.
I see people who are continuously crying like retards because 20 years ago BSD had a disputes with RMS (and that's why BSD is switching to LLVM instead of using GCC licensed under GPLv3)

The freetard camp isn't beter.
Between, muh torvalds showing blobs and muh systemd is taking away my freedom most of them just don't work on the problems that they are criticizing.

Same things with Torvalds and his bitching about how some freetards wined to in because he changed the license of the kernel from GPLv2+ to GPLv2 and since then he consider the FSF like an enemy.

These feuds are maintaining a division in the software community that shouldn't exist anymore.

About licensing:
There is a great problem, people still not read the licenses or understand the implications of them.
Thus they get angry, because fore example they first have chosen the GPLv3 then they find some nice code licensed under BSD-C4.
Then these people go blame the GPLv3 because it's to restrictive or incompatible.
People just need to RTFL.

Well that the whole point of computer science.

This is bullshit and shouldn't come into the equation.

This guy gets it. Suggesting that ALL programmers should be sys/embedded/micro etc level C-programmers is ridiculous, the opposite of everyone being algorithm-based-abstraction-language-feature-programmers is also ridiculous.

Believe it or not, the micro guys aren't the end all be all. Why we have to explain this on a tech board beats me. Remember BALANCE is key in everything.

Exactly. It's about applying maths to these systems and the design principles behind these systems.

This is how I know you don't know shit about low level programming nor high level programming. No amount of knowing your CPU's transistors will help you when your Lisp is breaking, nor when OpenJDK decides to fuck with you and blow up when you initialize some fields inline instead of initializing them in the constructor.

Arrogance and hypocritical whiteknighting are two big problems, but I am more tired of people who would rather use hammers to dig a hole simply because said hammer is the only thing they know (even if they argue it's just that said hammer is "the one and only tool to build them all"). Both the "I implemented a MRI visualizer in JavaScript" and the "I must use raw C for the generation of these dynamic webpages" crowd sicken me to death.

I am now gonna crash into a tree with Pursuit Mode on, with no survivors

No really, have technology companies gone this low? What happened to the principle of two genders?

Are you aware of that highly theoretical construct known as a "joke"?

how is bsd?

The intro of that video shows the ports system being used on a FreeBSD system, but it's all happening in a VM with Windows as a host. What does that tell you?

:^)

What you posted might be now a joke, but you never know in 5-10 years.

You don't have to understand the hardware fully, like EE does (logic gates, components, tolerances, etc.) Just understanding what goes on at the archictecture level is enough. In the old days, there was a clear path from BASIC language to machine language. BASIC didn't try to be everything, just enough to write simple programs and sometimes a convenient OS shell (ROM BASIC). But now you have all these fancy scripting and other related languages with VM/runtime that try to do everything and isolate you completely from the underlying architecture. People just jump from one fad to another, whatever is currently being pushed by industry, and they write more and more bloated and buggy software every year.

You can smell the sponsored, pajeet tier courses in schools when they try to teach you everything and end up teaching you nothing.

These types of classes are very easy to spot. They have too much shit pushed in them because some Pajeet at planning didn't realize that students have to learn more than one thing at a time.
In order for students to pass the class teachers are forced to turn the classes into "Memorize words and pass" type of deal.

Microsoft is probably the most guilty of all the companies for doing this type of shit.

ppl need to KISS

..also I hate how words like modern, deprecated and obsolete seems to mean better, bad, worse.

Having different OS, different compilers, etc. is a good thing. It means you have choice. Unfortunately so much hardware now is x86, and this is very, very bad and it's something that needs to change.

is blind worship of c really an issue outside of the chan culture?

Here's the great choices we have.
This is honestly the lives of millions of fuckheads right now. Arguing over which vanilla they like. And others writing their own vanilla which is going to just wow the hipsters at vanilla con.

vanilla ice, that's who

restores my faith when i see the occasional woke person. thanks brother.

mfw the world is only working with window server os

shit this as meant for

Kiss is a good methodology but there should be a limit to it because having the same ass wiping software to the free software community will just bring the same retarded windows users.
People need to learn use the Kiss principal in that way.

Web development in general. If a script written in JavaScript can bypass ASLR and other shitty, half-assed countermeasures deployed by your operating system/kernel to perform a JIT spray, then that's a big fucking indicator that shit is fucked up. Also, an HTML parser that's nearly a decade old that leads to the loss of confidential data is another indicator (cloudflare).

Nu-males, diversity hires, and pajeets fucking up the industry. Also identity politics, or politics in general should never be allowed in, unless you absolutely cannot help it (Coming from someone who voted for Trump).

Rust/rust community. Now I use C and it's a pretty decent language, but I don't worship it as the be all to end all like a mooslim worships Mu-ham-head, or some fuck that uses Rust. At least when I trash C Infront of someone that uses C they don't implode in on themselves and go into a fucking conniption. The Rust community is fucking hot garbage. You attack their 'precious' language (brought to you by sjwzilla), then they'll treat you like a heretic. It's fucking laughable.

this is how political affiliations have always worked

This so much
I feel like something is wrong when I classes only teach me how to do it either through Microsoft or Ciscos way. Like they want all the tech grads to only know how to do thing one way, their way.

Underrated post.

But it does. How much do you spend on entertainment a month compared to spending in 1995?
go back to Holla Forums if you cant face reality.
You're an idiot if you cant realize the "SJW" bitching about shit is actually the one who is selling the product.
they sell the product of bitching and the mentally ill land whales buy it up every time.
I think you can figure it out buddy
I am not sure what "SJW" means to be honest

How can you not understand what a computer does when writing a for loop?

That principle was invented by the pedo mentally ill psychologist John (((Money))). There are two sexes and no such thing as gender.

you're right most netflix users are "SJW"
I don't own a netflix account. I have not even watched a TV show this month

This unholy obsession that C is a magical language and that there is nothing better. People who legit think Linux is a good operating system. All the operating systems we have today are garbage and past their prime. TempleOS, which /tech likes unironically, is a vision of what the future of computing could be, something like Smalltalk or LispOS.

Is is the only language if you want something that will run on everything including your toaster, and that is very close to the metal, and that isn't filled with imcomprehensive syntax and paradigms.

So in other words, if you are looking for a Free operating system GNU/Linux is the best.

"Close to the metal" isn't necessarily a good thing. C syntax also suffers from some very bad decisions, specially everything related to pointers but you C fanboys will never admit that.

Universities giving only attention to applying Java/C and maybe some other language instead of a more fundamental approach. By fundamental I mean what Pic related does.
Narrow focus leads people to un ironically say things like does. And use C for important things like an ECU or electronic throttle with results like the Toyota unintended acceleration scandal.

oh right, I guess you used Oz when you programmed for an ECU?

This segues perfectly into what I think is the #1 problem. Ignorant people pretending to be experts about things they have no experience with.

Ada, Forth, and Lisp/Scheme are very good options for university class. It doesn't have to be C or Java.

You fucking nigger, Oz in a language for teaching multiple programming concepts and techniques without getting bogged down by different languages.
Narrow focus is about the focus on C/Java resulting in people using C/Java everywhere even when there are very good reasons for not doing so.
Keep crashing systems, leaking data and killing people with your C-code.

People like you graduate from college and literally do not even know how to code anything.

Indian codemonkeys also spend huge amounts of their waking hours producing code instead of reading "theoretical wank". Would you say they are examples of good programmers?

If you are gonna program something wrongly, you may as well not program it at all, moreso if you are gonna put lives at risk with your spaghetti.

No one praises the C syntax, but C is the only language that meets all three requirements. When you need to get shit done you either take what you have or make your own, you don't sit on an imageboard complaining.

It is. With something close to the metal, you have less trouble computing time and spatial complexities, you can optimize your shit and you can survive once the tech bubble has burst.

Last time I checked, std::map, [](int n) {return !(n % 2);} and for (std::vector::const_iterator it = v.begin(); it != v.end(); it++) were not in C.

kys tbh fam

lmfao there are many problems with C, but fucking pointers ain't one of them

Variables are declared as pointers. What's hard to understand about that? Or did you decide that writing [code]int* a, b, c[\code] should give you three pointers and it's not just syntactic sugar for [code]int *a; int b; int c[\code]?

Or are you just some retard who looked at one of those "decoding a type declaration" examples and thought that every single line of C was filled with them?

Oh boy, this is bound to be a long one, I'll try to make my case:
This was made for people who don't care about computers at all, trying to make it like putting together fucking lego blocks, and even worse, having armies of codemonkeys that can be replaced like cogs. This thing is taught as the essence of programming (or at least, the only taught solution) to beginners all over the world. It's being fucking shilled to unsuspecting minds.
This is possibly the worst (no, wait, the second worst) thing that has happened which makes good systems largely unusable in favor of the big convoluted mindless systems that dominate the market. Closed source drivers further contribute to monopolization of the big systems, pushing the alternatives to the background. Good examples of this: OpenBSD, plan9
let's face it, they all suck
A trainwreck, completely in the hands of neurotypicals now, the same people for whom OOP was conceived.

Well, I am not thinking much today, so my arguments are really weak right now.

I should add: language zaelotry.
People fight ovre which language is the best and in the end, as everybody knows but wishes to ignore, are fucking tools. They have flaws, yeah, but truly good programmers know how to use any language in their favour instead of bitching that this language lacks such and such, and that they'd be rather using their favorite language.
People have lost sight of what programming really is about, and now they weight it (their own shortcomings) in the programming languages.
In the end, if you can't deal with a particular feature (or lack thereof) of a programming language, it's your own limitation.

Anymore, I approach development by learning everything I need to in order to create secure solutions while combing that with tools and approaches that minimize development time. Usually, it means I write 4x less code and cut out everything that would be considered an unnecessary abstraction. End result is I can produce better results in the same time as a team of four. I'm good for small companies and startups, which I like, because I can avoid all the shitty politics that exist in larger teams. I could care less about the problems of large company software development.

OOP was conceived as a metaphor for how the body works. Trillions of cells work together to allow you to fap to chinese cartoons. Alan Kay's definition of OOP was protecting state, late binding of everything, and messaging. His ideas were not Java or C++ but chatty objects that scale.

Syntaxwise, pointers and preprocessor retardation are the only real problems. C's problems run way deeper than that, but that user just mentioned the syntax.

That said, pointer arithmetic IS wrong, if only because segfaults are just the best problem that can come out of them. I know we all Holla Forumsies are perfect programmers who could do no wrong because we memorized the C spec and know how to write flawless C code, but subhumans like the Linux kernel senior programmers don't, and your security depends on them not fucking up with the language.

And not only that. The C pointer operators are used in three different contexts. Pointer syntax is ambiguous when it could have been really clear cut by using different symbols, but it isn't.

Everything up to pointer to pointers is easy to understand, but when you get into multiplying the contents of a pointer returned by a function pointer stored in a pointer to pointer variable that requires being passed a value stored in a pointer by a pointer to pointer, things get retarded real quick. And these things happen, and C programmers tend to obviate commenting on stuff like this because it was pretty clear in theilir minds back when they wrote it.

Sure what kind of shitlord would dare to criticizes anyone's shit language, after all it's not like it has a direct impact on program quality, performance, maintainability, tool availability, static analysis, metaprogramming, and so on.
You're right goy there are no absolute metrics of quality in language design, and all have a right to exist in our diverse world of technological progress.

Ironically, "the one and only language" fails in at least two of those requirements. :^)

The irony.

No, user. Assembly code is perfectly maintainable if you don't structure your shit like when you program on your calculator. :^)

faggots and pajeets

Good one m8

aboutthebsds.wordpress.com/2013/01/25/20/

It's a cool story but there are no citations. The author doesn't spoonfeed to us where he gets his information, he expects us to use his story as vague clues to trolling through mailing list archives.

A good 2/3rds doesn't even talk about software quality, just rants about GPL vs BSD licensing and how the project has a BDFL organizational structure.

Literally the biggest reason to use OpenBSD is its firewall capabilities.

But there is.

No idea about KDE4 but they have a dedicated guy on GNOME 3, they're the first of the BSDs to update GNOME.
I bet you this faggot doesn't even know about ram limits for processors.

I have no idea how they can come up with 3/5, but tell me, which distro audits their entire packages list?
Why is it OpenBSDs responsibility to ensure other 4000+ other projects are audited to their standards? Especially when most of the time they're told to fuck off.

This idea that OpenBSD hides things is strange to me, there are posts on Undeadly about how their audits, fuzz runs and coverity scans found bugs.

how asshurt can one man be

HELLO YES WHERE ARE THE PROOFS?

Outside of early CS majors and chan trolls I don't think I've ever heard this said even as a joke.

Is Windows treating you well? It's ok, you can tell us if it hurt you, we won't judge.

Baiting the Assembly Master Race faggots is way too easy.

I first used OpenBSD for router/firewall system, but eventually it got to the point I refuse to run anything else because other OS requires more work from my part. Even all the laptops I ever owned ran/run it.
But some of them don't have working GPU (nvidia...), and frankly that doesn't mean anything to me. I'm not into modern games, Web 2.0 browsing, or related. In fact, running VESA X server let me run with machdep.allowaperture=1, so that's a plus.
I played some of the fancy 3D games in ports on one laptop with working radeon driver, but quickly got bored. It's the same thing with other devices. I have a Nintendo DS but don't like any of native games. I use it for 8-bit computer emulators...

You've gotta replace it with a Dragonbox Pyra once it comes out. I bet you'll be able to run OpenBSD on it, too :)