Is there a cut-off size for asteroids?

At what point do they become a planet?
Theoretically could we have a rock bigger then the sun heading right for us?

Other urls found in this thread:

worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/questions/9948/is-there-a-theoretical-maximum-size-for-rocky-planets
twitter.com/AnonBabble

when they get bigger than ur mum lel

I think once they reach a certain mass they get caught by teh gravity. The idea of a giant spacerock just plowing through stars is pretty cool tho.

1. Yes.
2. Defined in diameter radius and two other parameters related to orbit available everywhere, for example on wikia.
3. No. It would collapse into a star due to mass density. If it had extremely low density, then it would not be sustainable because any sort of force interaction by any object would pull the hypothetical planet apart into an asteroid field by ripping chunks out of it and lots of internal tensions.

Anything that big is already a star.

it's not the size, mate. it's whether it orbits around a star.

I always thought why can't one come up from the bottom of the galaxy? on the Z axis. Nobody ever talks about that. Because galaxies only rotate on the X and Y.

it's because the universe is actually flat. wake up sheepos!

wtf I'm a flat universe theorist now

Where would one preach your gospel?

flat places like sidewalks, parking garages, etc.

can i preach them at spherical places, like buildings?

absolutely not

that would border on heresy

I don't know enough about science to dispute this, but I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

so your mom's chest is ok

So you think galaxies are spherical user?

Well you learn something new everyday

All matter in the galaxy has to rotate (not necessarily in the same direction) so that a centrifugal force acts. Without the centrifugal force, all matter contained in the galaxy will collapse into the center of the galaxy due to gravitation. The rotation happens about an axis, a line about which all matter revolves in the galaxy. Now, the manner in which all the matter revolves around that axis is planar. Why is it planar and why does it have to rotate about an axis only? The answer to this question will decisively clear that doubt. Let's imagine that a planar galaxy has a few bodies which don't revolve around the central axis and have their own axis of rotation. In any direction perpendicular to that axis, centrifugal force keeps the body from collapsing into the center of the galaxy. In any direction parallel to that axis however, there is no such centrifugal force; but there is a component of the gravitational force from the matter contained in the planar galaxy below. This component of gravitational force keeps pulling the body toward the plane, and there is no force to stop it. Thus, even this body will eventually join the galactic plane. All such fringe bodies which do not obey to the galactic plane will be attracted by gravity to eventually join the plane. Therefore the galaxy manages to maintain planarity.

Dork

Or too high to pay attention

you need to watch your ass, wtf fag. dys has already burned most of the furniture round here and you cud b next.

Anything that big would collapse under it's own weight.

Nice

By the math, you could have a rock made of silicon 1.6 times the size of the sun headed towards you. Above that mass it will collapse into some type of star.

worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/questions/9948/is-there-a-theoretical-maximum-size-for-rocky-planets

when it cleans its orbit from other shit

I believe that at a diameter of 300 miles or greater with a nominal density a body begins to collapse into a spheroidal shape. That's probably a good cutoff point.

I took 2 semesters of physics in college but I forgot most of it. It's not obvious to me why this is wrong.

but, can we use memes to bring forth a meteor to kill us all?

Our sun is comprised of mostly Hydrogen and helium. Although at the core is is compressed quite a bit it is still extremely light for its size. If you where to have a solid/liquid ball of matter comprised mostly of Iron, carbon and silicon and it was the same size of our sun, the mass of that object would be so great that its own gravity would comperss the core. Fusion reactions could start but with that much mass it would most likely create a singularity in is center and slowly consume itself from the inside out. This would eventually become a rather large black hole.

If our sun was to somehow exchange its entire volume with Lead. There would be enough gravity pulling on the planets in out solar system that Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars would crash into the surface of the lead sun in a matter of hours. Followed by the rest of the planets, astroids and all matter in Our Commonly known Solar system in a matter of a month. The outer clowd of Our solar syster which is orbiting our Sun 1 light year out would eventually be consumed within about 20-30 years from now.

At that time there would be a noticeable change in trajectory of many of the nearest stars. Some of which would also become part of our sun.

Thanks Professor user.