LUTHER STRODE SERIES STORYTIME

Story timing all three volumes, to begin:
Volume 1: THE STRANGE TALENT OF LUTHER STRODE

Long story short, a teenager orders an exercise program and it turns him into inhumanly strong murder machine. Series has excellent art, solid fights, and over the top violence.

Other urls found in this thread:

volafile.io/r/kVIkT3
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Volume 1, issue 2

Surprised it took this look for someone to talk about this series.

It does get brought up on occasion, but it's usually only to post Tradd Moore's art.

Volume 1: Issue 3

Volume 1: Issue 5

Volume 1: Issue 6

Volume 2: Issue 1

Volume 2: Issue 2

Volume 2: Issue 3

Volume 2: Issue 4

Volume 2: Issue 5

This is by the same artist that does that Justice League web comic series, right? The one where they're all little kids in school.

No idea, haven't read them and don't know artists' name.

is this the same artist that does the jl8 web comic?

Volume 2: Issue 6

Yes! That's the name. I'm pretty sure it's the same artist.

I'm still reading, but I'm enjoying the hell out of this.

Good balance of hyperviolence and cartoony style. Unlike something like Crossed, this hits the perfect balance. Not too gross, but not too watered down either.

Volume 3: Issue 1

Glad to introduce someone to decent comics.
Crossed just does stuff for shock value alone, not to support the story or to make it visually appealing.

Volume 3: Issue 2

Volume 3: Issue 3

I fucking love Luther Strode. The third volume is kind of week and the big fight is sort of a let down but everything leading up to it is great. It's honestly the most anime American comic I've ever read not because of the art but because, stylistically and the way it's written, it's very much in the vein of the hyperviolent manga and anime of the late '80s/early '90s like Fist of the North Star, Riki-Oh, Vampire Hunter D and Ninja Scroll. It fits right in that niche perfectly, like the kind of thing you'd watch at 11:00 PM on a Friday night on Showtime Beyond or Encore Action at the turn of the millennium.

Also, Petra is best girl. I kind of like her increasing bloodlust and goofiness as the series progresses.

Volume 3: Issue 4

Volume 3: Issue 5

Volume 3: Issue 6

THE END

I think there's a bit of a flaw with this series. It tells it's story perfectly fine and gets to the point but it feels a little… rushed? I don't know how else to describe it. It's not bad. Certainly not. But it definitely feels like things go by quickly. Also the fact that that's all there is is a little disappointing. But it told the story it wanted to tell and beat the big bad. It's a sensible ending but I'm not sure I'm satisfied with it. But at the end of the day this is a satisfying ultraviolent series that fulfills all the sick action quotas you could hope for. The ultraviolence may not appeal to everyone but the characters are enjoyable, the art is nice, it's wild, and it never gets too edgy tryhard that you'd wanna absolutely never touch it. Unlike something like Mark Millar would write.

The problem really is that Strange Talent and Legend both tell pretty good stories on their own and Luther's struggle against one particular, fairly localized threat/technique user in each one. Legacy being more of a globe trotting adventure concerned with the myth stuff definitely hurts it. IMO it's a series that actually would've been improved by being drawn out.

Third volume can focus on the brother/sister, fourth on Not-Django, etc.

Where's the fourth part of the twins?

Fucking excellent stuff, mate. I don't supposed you've got this collected in a .zip?

I think the art is ugly and kinda bad, but the more I read the more it grew on me and I saw that it isn't nearly as bad as I thought. I don't mean the violence, I mean proportions and expressions and the like. So kudos on that, and the story was pretty interesting. Not particularly good, but I think all my complaints would come down to my dislike of Petra and that the story needed more time to be told.

Thanks for sharing!

Was the artist the same one who did the Mexican Ghost rider?

Thanks for storytiming this, OP. Best comic this sad, forsaken board has seen in months.

He did first six issues of it. Then it was some other guy for an issue or two, and now it's Felipe Smith doing both art and writing.

I will dump it all on vola and Mega this night.

The art's great for a series like this. It's fluid and dynamic, all of the big hits have a lot of weight behind them. Completely unlike anything you'd get in most comics.

Hope you didn't forget, OP

It's coming along. They should be all on vola in about 20 minutes.
volafile.io/r/kVIkT3

Bless you, OP.

So that's Jack the Ripper, right?

No. But the character introduced shortly afterwards clearly is.

Kate Leth…

This smug asshat trying to pretend this whole language setup isn't just a giant homage to The Thing.

You realize she's "best girl" because she's the author's idealized punk waifu, right?

Yeah, any word on this? Is it included in the zips?

it was storytimed on half Holla Forums a while back
I've read the first 6 and part of the second six so I'm looking forward to reading this

thanks OP

I saw this setup way early and found it tiresome with how long it took for them to do it

Holy fuck literal jew and black chick combo

god damnit the art is really taking a dive at this point, it's like squirrel girl all over again

weak ass speech too

fucking travesty what happened to this

the problem with Legacy is the tone completely changes and petra turns into not-not-tank girl and the authors perspective has changed so much along with the art that it just comes out shit

I feel like Ive seen this before. Kinda feels like a homage of that comic with the Nixon guy.

He mentioned a hiatus at a point, forgot which issue. Maybe he just always wanted to make a trilogy. Maybe Reality happened, and he decied to wrap up as a trilogy.

10/10, would love to see in the cinema.

only the first volume

First volume would only make a Yet Another Origin Story movie though.

The three together make a nice arc about growth and discovery, that can be reflowed into something non-rushed at the end. But then, they'd probably try to wrap up the last book as Luther taking Caim's place at being forever bound for the sake of the legacy….

It indeed is. Yale Stewart. He signed the last page here and everythin'

Luther is a kid granted near-uncontrollable murder powers and he's just trying to keep his life together

Luther is channeling his murder powers towards killing those who need killing most. His reunion with Petra gives him enough reason to try and reclaim his humanity.

Luther is literally muscle Jesus and he don wann no trabble. He effectively becomes a shounen animu hero who tries to win everyone over with friendship.

Luther Strode is best animu

I don't have a problem with the idea, but the execution of volume 3 was a little sloppy.

Yeah, it comes off as rushed and sudden, but when you consider the 5 year gaps between volumes, it can make sense. A person really can change a lot between age 16 and 26, after all.

If they gave a little time to further explaining why Luther could overcome the need to murder everything, but none of Cain's other followers couldn't, it might have made more sense. Not to mention giving a little thought to what Luther intended to do with his murder powers to "do better"

I suppose there's always room for another volume, since they set up that little hook at the end about the manual still being out there.

When is the sequel

Closest we'll ever get is maybe another series set in the same universe but not another Luther story.

shit

the three together make shit

This, also less of the twins

very

Its pretty clear its because Luther was unwilling to let go of mortals / normals. Luther DID descend into a unstoppable rage at Volume 2, up until his girl found him and he was dearly reminded there IS, indeed, something in his life that matters.

So yeah, love conquers all. Goodnight everybody!

Like I said, the series (third volume especially) is anime as fuck. Legacy Luther is effectively Kenshiro.

except, you know, not cool

Awww. Man we need more stuff like this. Self contained neat stories.

Aww shit I know Russian!

I always apreciate Russian Characters!

What's he saying? I meant to look that up.

In ordeer:

Page 1:

Page 2:

Page 3:

Page 4:

Page 5
Page 6:
Pahe 7:

woah woah woah.
Kate Leth is in on this?

Jesus, reading her pre-Hellcat stuff is fucking surreal.

Neat.

They keep mentoning pinups on the sidelines. Anyone got them?

Is the guy next to the Zulu an Aztec or Polynesian, or…?

He feels mesoamerican to me.

Nope, no luck on my end. Just concept and fag art.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I wonder if this lady was the inspiration to create Lady Betrayer's appearance.

If it is, thats actually pretty coo.

Also, now I cant unsee that line running her side.

Random thought.

There is a Librarian and a Binder.
Every person who ended up Bound, is someone they tried to train as the Butcher; someone who can stop other 'talented' people.

But the Butcher by definition ends up being someone too dangerous to be left free, so…

Luther begins to falter when Jack the Ripper enters the picture. I can't pinpoint the exact moment, but the aim of the plot shifts from "Murder machine trying to avoid being impressed into the service of an ancient cabal of super humans" to "Kenshiro and Tank Girl fight the baddie of the week". Luther loses his agency as a character and reverts to being a tool, led around by the supporting cast from fight to fight.
You could argue that this shift is the point, as Luther is out of his element and dealing with a conflict beyond his time and understanding, but I think his reactions to the expository dialogue of the Librarian demonstrated a drive in the character's motivation that disappears after the tonal shift.
Also, the flashbacks to the twins were pointless and never resolved.
The layout of the fights occasionally became cluttered and a bit hard to follow, but this was very rare, only occurring once or twice. Otherwise it was very energetic and entertaining.
My complaints are minor, I really liked this series overall, I just think that by the end the story and characters degenerated into simple imitations of the source material that inspired the creators. If they had stuck to telling their own story, it would have made this a great series, rather than simply a really good series.
Thanks for sharing, OP.

Well that was certainly the craziest shit I've read all week, thanks for posting it, OP.

Yeah. First two volumes, good shit. Third one? Just shit. Losing the artist really didn't help, either.

But each volume was drawn by the same guy. His style did change a little bit, from a little angular and rough lines to smoother and curved ones.

I wouldn't call the third volume shit. Just kinda rushed.

I know its pretty late in my part of the world, but why on earth are you posting the same joke around 8:30am burger time in multiple threads no less?

The other posts aren't me. I was reading this comic and noticed that she literally said that.

Who was the guy on the freighter, anyway? Why did the Librarian kill him?

I agree more with Petra than with Luther.

>>>/hothead/

Captcha: banuxg

There's a difference?

Yes. Huge difference. If it were shit then there'd be no entertainment value whatsoever.

Timing can make or break a product, making it look pretty is simply polishing a turd

If, in theory, a movie (or miniseries) were to be made of the Luther Strode saga, which actors would you like to see for each character?

Why are you here?

just assume he meant voice actors

jesus christ seriously

pls email [email protected]/* */ if you're a cat named sakamoto and want a cute furret to lick your paws
What kind of pleasure you get by fucking a 4 year old ?

pls email [email protected]/* */ if you're a cat named sakamoto and want a cute furret to lick your paws
and it's going to make money no matter what

how does this make you feel?

Classic.

I remember spamming fur threads back in 2010 when I was a newfag on Holla Forums

I always get my bf to sit on my face while i beat off