Why haven't you installed Void yet, Holla Forums?

Why haven't you installed Void yet, Holla Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

brainfacts.org/brain-basics/neuroanatomy/articles/2014/the-bigger-your-brain-the-smarter-you-are/
repo.voidlinux.eu/live/current/
repo.voidlinux.eu/current/
forum.voidlinux.eu/t/solved-st-suckless-terminal-patches-void-repo/1086/4
forum.voidlinux.eu/t/solved-st-suckless-terminal-patches-void-repo/1086/9
st.suckless.org/patches/st-scrollback-0.7.diff;
github.com/mordak/playbook-dev-tools
github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/tree/master/srcpkgs/fcitx
travis-ci.org/ebfe/void-packages/jobs/116135672
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why haven't you choked on a shotgun, just as the rest of the faggots who make distro circlejerks or browser threads need to do.
Fuck off.

no packages lol

Because I didn't fall for the minimalism meme. I do think it's a good choice for people who did - much better than Arch, at any rate.

Need I say more?

Because I already use Gentoo and Alpine.

Because even newbie distros are a bad enough time wasting piece of shit without adding even more trash.

this

I did and it was a mistake. Going on probably two years by now anyway because I've gone too far to turn back.

OP here. Why was it a mistake?

Also, digging the i3. I also use unriced i3 about half the time.

Things I love:

Things I hate:

YES what the fuck are they thinking, just follow debian for fucks sake. It's only a name, after all.

I gave up building most shit that pulled in more than a couple dependencies. Works splendidly when it does work, though.

What are your gripes with it? I've never tried it, I thought it would be too different from portage and therefore unsatisfying.

You forgot the last last tier with GentooFreeBSD, Slackware and 1969 Research UNIX

Daily reminder.

t. last tier

FreeBSD is pleb mayn OpenBSD and NetBSD
Slackware is crusted
UNIX yes, also would have added old nokia communicators but no space

Yeah but it still has a better kernel than Linux. And Gentoo is top tier as always so you know how it works out.

You can get gentoo with the FreeBSD kernel I believe though so best of userland and kernelspace.

the gentoo/alt project died a long time ago

Yeah I just checked. Damn.

brainfacts.org/brain-basics/neuroanatomy/articles/2014/the-bigger-your-brain-the-smarter-you-are/

Wow, I can't believe I took this bait.

I mostly based the meme on the average user of the devices presented aka imo blackberry users carry more brain capacity than iOS and android users. I'm not taking the licence into account, I sort of take the difficulty of usage into account.

"Wow, I can't believe I took this bait"
Hey that's my line!

I do but mklive creates none functional .iso`s and the last functional one complains about librares (specifically the one assosicated with xorriso) being out of date effectively. So I am thinking about switching, shame I really enjoyed it while it lasted.

xorg broken fuck that shit and rolling release distros

Laziness or incompetence?

Because arch is better and only turbospergs think otherwise

/thread

repo.voidlinux.eu/live/current/

I moved to void from arch over a year ago and I'm happy with it

Because it's gay.

They refuse to let you root and have control over the device you paid for, because of their twisted sense of security which they much force upon all users.
They do this even though the audience for their phones in the current market are "power users" who about thorough control of their device. Also, being forced to have google's suite on your phone is hardly security.
Have fucking hard is it to let you sign in and out of a root session like normal Linux?
Yes, I'm fucking mad.

Time for bed

No thanks.

no, xbps-src depends od github, binary packages are in repo
repo.voidlinux.eu/current/

Got it on my webserver but I'm really getting tired of wondering why the fuck I can't get PHP processing under nginx working. Not sure I'm ready to take the plunge with it on desktop use.

It's actually got some packages I've not seen on other distros.

I installed it a year ago and have been quite happy. It has just the right balance between just werks and hackable for my portable machines.

I would love it if it was just a little bit more sane on its granularity.

all the packages are checked with pgp

arch install iso still ships with a mirrorlist file that's all http, you have to download a new https one manually

could be they want to avoid whatever cpu load serving it all up with https would be

more like they don't want you to be a bad goy and remove all their spyware

b-but user, gentoo exists...

is that a fuckin mac?

Its like modern day slackware
you get to pick and choose EVERYTHING you want!
if you want your hand held use manjaro or something
i run void on my server and it is 100 100 100

Because Windows 7 is the best desktop OS. With a little hackery you can even get it running on M.2 SSDs and a Kaby Lake proc.

No bullshit MS spyware: check
Actually runs games: check
No bullshit attempt to run gfx in userland: check
Consistent sound system: check
Works with commonly available hardware without driver pain: check
Runs foobarr2000 and MPC/ffdec: check

So let's see... I can pretty much do any necessary tasks or fuck off with games without having to deal with WINE or shitty sub-par Linux substitutes; I can get on with my actual job, which is systems programming, via a putty session to a second Ubuntu box which has proven simple and easy to maintain; and I can do it all without engaging in pointless masturbatory exercises in who can suffer through the most esoteric OS and without running the risk of setting my hardware on fire. I got bored of that shit back in 2005 or so.

Grow the fuck up.

10 lines and 165 words to say
In response to an OP that amounts to 'Have you tried [OS]? Lets talk about [OS], friends!'
But no, they're not using my soon to be dead OS that takes about as much work to un-poz and make decent as setting up an obscure linux distro, despite having none of the benefits of software freedom or UNIX, I need to tell them how they are so greatly lesser than me.
You need to grow up. Or just fuck off, thats fine too.

No, It's a Thinkpad T420, what suggested that it's a mac?

That's a relief, I'll finally consider Void seriously again.

I did and I like the way it works, but I feel a bit uneasy with the fact that so few people are trying to maintain all those packages, and I have a feeling it's ultimately more of a hobby project.

but it's fun.

so who exactly needs to grow up here?
you can get this in linux easily
again, linux does this way better than windows in fact
who the fuck cares, get vlc or mpv
You're still using linux you massive autist

Total amount of arguments you have provided me: 0

Void is cool but I use Slackware. But I think they are both my two favorite distros.

most macs have all intel hardware, thats why i though it was mac

having tried and failed to apply custom colors to st with xbps-src, I can safely say that xbps-src kinda sucks.

ubuntu.

just add patch to st/patches/
forum.voidlinux.eu/t/solved-st-suckless-terminal-patches-void-repo/1086/4
forum.voidlinux.eu/t/solved-st-suckless-terminal-patches-void-repo/1086/9

Ubuntu does work pretty well

Explain yourself.

I've been using it, but every month something breaks and I've got to fuck around to fix it. Other than that, it's good. Of all of my Linux systems, it's the one that runs the most lean with the least amount of memory usage, fastest boot-times, etc.

You should be building all suckless software from source anyway, the suckless people recommend this. Using pre-built st or dwm packages is retarded.

Read it again nigger.

Thats exactly what I did. Specifically, make a patchfile(with diff) from the modified config.def.h in my homedir and the one in builddir, put the patchfile in srcpkgs/st/patches, run xbps-clean, xgensum on the template again, then xbps-pkg, and It still generated a package with a broken SHA256 hash that wouldn't install.

could you explain that a little, or give some examples? Im considering switching to void but that makes me worry a little bit.

Because I grew up on Linux so I don't feel the need to distro-hop like newbies do because I've already played with the 3 big package managers and that's one of the few things that makes a distro different.

Newbies will install a whole new distro just because it's riced differently or even just because they don't know how to install a different DE. I use either Manjaro with XFCE or Xubuntu because I don't want to install packages from source like some Slackware-using jackass.

TempleOS deserves its own level.
It was made for a religious reason, it doesn't have networking, and I don't think any language other than HolyC is supported.

You don't need xgensum

this is how I do it and it works:
cd void-packages/srcpgks/st; add patch_args="-p1" to template; mkdir patches; cd patches; wget st.suckless.org/patches/st-scrollback-0.7.diff; ....; ./xbps-src pkg st
xbps-install --repository=hostdir/binpkgs st

maybe it's something with your patch, you said on irc that you don't know how diff works

This user knows whats up

github.com/mordak/playbook-dev-tools

But runit is love.

Yeah, I changed something with the patch last night and it worked. I still dont really get why.

Void has both its own package manager and a different init than other distros, though, user.

I set up a void install on my playing-around laptop with everything I actually use on my normal laptop but one third as many packages. Shame about no fcitx/ibus-mozc, I might actually switch to it if not for that.

github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/tree/master/srcpkgs/fcitx

it is in the glibc repo, but if you try to build it on musl with xbps-src:
>=> ERROR: fcitx-4.2.9.1_1: travis-ci.org/ebfe/void-packages/jobs/116135672

This Arch developer explains it well:
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

Arch looks minimalist in just the right places to appeal to autists, but it really isn't minimal. The "look ma, no installer" thing is a good example. It doesn't do much to help people understand their system. It doesn't let you do anything Debian's installer doesn't let you do. It doesn't let you do a lot of things Gentoo's installation procedure does let you do. But hey, Arch doesn't have a n00by installer, so it must be minimal, right? I feel enlightened already! Never mind that almost all operating systems have it, whether bloated or minimal, including Windows, Ubuntu, Void Linux, OpenBSD, Plan 9 and TempleOS.

no, I meant 'no (fcitx/ibus)-mozc', not 'no fcitx or ibus-mozc.'

Have never used Arch and don't plan to, but they have they best wiki of all distros. Gentoo is second best.

Void made me stop distrohopping
running hardened MUSL with Wayland setup and dwc (dwm but for wayland super obscure project) and it uses LibreSSL and runit, xbps is literally the best package manager I have ever used, the install process is easy as shit and it's ultra minimal, running a full desktop setup with under 200 packages on my system, I'm running .Appimage files for a lot of my binaries

link?

Arch "stole" their wiki info from the old gentoo wiki before the bombs fell (they forgot to backup funnily enough)

As a general rule the gentoo people's documentation is the standard for linux docs.

With the new leaks on CIA tools, I am wanting to start migrating my desktops all to linux.

Currently, I only use Linux in a server environment, mostly CentOS/Ubuntu for random services.

My question is, which Linux Distro do you recommend for corporate desktop work? Is it even possible for me to move away from what I need on a daily basis to complete my job or am I stuck in a Windows environment.

Daily Uses are:

- Outlook (connect to m$ Exchange)
- Discord
- LabTech (RMM Software)
- Connectwise
- WinSCP
- Putty
- Adobe Reader

Am I fucked?

Not sure about the others, but Outlook can be easily replaced with Thunderbird, PuTTY has a Linux port (but the native terminal emulators are already better anyway), and Evince and its forks are competent Adobe Reader replacements.

Why do you do corporate desktop work on a personal computer? If you're forced to buy and use your own computer to do your job, you should have a separate work computer that never touches any of your personal data or programs.

Thunderbird
Works on linux (native client and browser version)
Yer fucked m8e, try a VM
Fukerthose?
Teamviewer i guess
Literally just a standard terminal that ships with all distros
Same as above
One of the number of pdf readers for linux HOWEVER adobe reader specific pdfs wont work (i used to use an autoform thing for a d&d character sheet)

I've literally ever only met one other BlackBerry user, but we both knew more about our pet system than any average Android/iOS user. That doesn't mean that it's necessarily true, though. Maybe someone is stuck on BB because they're too stupid to learn anything new.

I will probably install Void sometime this week after backing up my chinese cartoons and other stuff. It looks close to my ideal non-Slackware, Gentoo, or Alpine distro and being completely free from poetteringware once again should be really nice.

Pluseaudio is the default sound system however it wasn't hard to get ASLA working when I did so a little a while ago now. I remember changing/moving one line and it worked as expected.

ALSA has just werked on pretty much every machine and every distro I've used.
(Except for Gentoo. I spent a whole week recompiling kernels and modules and trouble shooting and writing .confs and no luck.)

riot.im is a good discord replacement

Autism has hit a new level

I got ALSA working pretty easy on my gentoo, mostly because I just stripped down a debian kernel and built that. ALSA is king on linux no doubt, pulseaudio is absolute horseshit. The best audio experience I have had on linux was on gentoo (or maybe ubuntu but shhh)