Linux Paint Programs All Suck

I was looking to draw some icons for my game, but was increasingly annoyed at not being able to find a program that will actually let me do it. So here I am, whining about it instead. Let's go through them now:

no zoom option, no "right click to draw with other color" option, no Ctrl+Z to undo, and other basic features. Just terrible.

no keyboard shortcuts again (have to go into menu to zoom), requires new window for an image (terribly inconvenient), ugly interface

256 colors, lol

surprisingly decent, but no way to properly rotate selections

"no numpy module found". Okay "pip install numpy". Still "no numpy module found". Trashed.

too complicated for the simple drawing I require

the only good one (because it's pretty much an exact copy of Microsoft Paint), but requires fat KDE libraries which I don't want to have only for it.

Guess I will have to stick to code for now, and maybe, one day, there will be a proper graphics program for Linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

communiroo.com/PintaProject/pinta/suggestions/18/rotate-selection
gimp.org/news/2017/02/02/gimp-2-10-blockers/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I remember to use kolourpaint in the past because was a perfect windows paint clone but hated the fat KDE libraries on my linux, but i learned after maybe 2 or 4 years using my Linux Live CD, DVD, USB, to use gimp for everything in pictures, selection, edit, crop, rotate, everythihg, but i never created icons so i can't help you.

Gimp is ok for me.

communiroo.com/PintaProject/pinta/suggestions/18/rotate-selection

inkscape is pretty good. The UI takes some getting used to, but it works pretty well. It's for vector graphics though, so may not be what you need.

Regarding numpy, try to install it for both python2 and python3. Your distro fucked up though if it's a dependency and you have to install manually.

If that worked I wouldn't have complained. First of all, it requires mouse movements, it's not really exact like a "rotate 180 degrees" would be. Also, it leaves an ugly transparency behind the moved selection.

But most importantly, you can't make a mirror image of the selection, like the flip vertically or horizontally options, but for the selection. That's a dealbreaker for me.

I think you should just use GIMP. Even if you only need a small feature set not everyone needs the same small feature set, so you can only be sure it gets covered if you use a program with a large feature set.

Why is GIMP too complicated, anyway? Is it that you don't want to learn it, or that it stops you from doing simple things quickly?

Yeah, it was the distro that fucked up. Installing numpy for python2 specifically worked, thanks.

But mypaint sucks anyway. Honestly, I think microsoft paint just perfected basic painting like 20 years ago, and it won't be beaten.

It's the latter. I'm a coder at heart, and I don't like too much clutter. Just me and my code. Just drawing at all is a pain for me, but it has to be done.

GIMP usage gets fast after using it for a bit. If startup times are a problem, just don't close it whenever you're finished with an image.

go use krita or get wine running and install OpenCanvas

Actually I'm considering switching to a KDE distro (probably Trinity). My first linux 10 years ago was kubuntu, and I loved it for great software like Kolourpaint and Konqueror (who remembers this?). But I moved on after KDE 3 was discontinued.

krita can be used as an appimage if you dont want to install its dependencies
it is a big complex program though, not a simple mspaint like.

everything is bloated shit except xpaint :^)

Try KDE neon instead.

Kubuntu devs ragequit when Canonical tried to put 'something' in kubuntu. KDE neon was born.

I use Arch. Konqueror got a complete overhaul and is now using qtwebkit (sadly). Still better than google(firefox/chrome) IMO

GIMP is just fine for simple paint-tier images, see pic related. You just haven't taken the time to get used to GIMP's interface, which is your fault.

gimp is bloated piece of useless crap

only two good in that list are kolourpaint and mtpaint

Linux is a program; the kernel of the GNU operating system.

this tbh fam
I don't know how people even use GIMP anymore.

It's excellent, besides the printer color issues, I'd say its up to par with Illustrator. No idea how it compares with CorelDraw though (never used it).

You went fast to post your shit post when you should have tried Krita beforehand. kek

GIMP 16 bit color when?

kys

You tried all those shitty programs but you didn't try the only one that people actually recommend?

Yeah, I don't have KDE, and this appimage shit apparently doesn't work on 32 bit computers. But I will try it since I'm dumping this distro soon anyway.

Much better.

At least try to put the effort in you Faggot™

What do you know, you actually can't. I just tried it.

A workaround would be to copy it to a new layer, flip it, then move it into place.

I would file a report on their tracker though.

At Gimp 2.10. We're at Gimp 2.8.20 at the moment.

So when 2.10?

Its the $CURRENT_YEAR

The simple answer, when it's done
gimp.org/news/2017/02/02/gimp-2-10-blockers/

Hijack to make this thread useful:

How do I pixel art in Linux? (inb4 google)
I have both Krita and gimp. I know gimp has a pixel option, but I'm wondering if there's a good way to create manual 2x2 pixels.

Also, when I tried in krita, 28 was one square dimension short of a full grid box, 30 was one to large, and the dimensions increase in couples.

you're a faggot not a coder

I've already read this.
So it's basically "this is too hard, just use PS dude and be a good goy"

Best program for pixel art is Aseprite. Mind you, compiling from source is a bit complicated, it seems, and many distros come with nonfunctional versions, or at least they used to. The Ubuntu Aseprite package used to be bugged (Aseprite requires a custom Allegro library and Canonical packaged it with the default one), and Debian fixed it a few years ago.

MSPaint is a ridiculous piece of trash, always was and always will be.

Get a proper painting program and git gud, faget.

Isn't Aseprite commercial software though?

I don't think OPs problem is that GIMP is bad (it isn't) or anything, it is just that very simple edits to an image shouldn't require a huge toolset like that. It is like using a reciprocating saw to open a cardboard box when a pair of scissors will do.

Let me explain how this works you picky whining fag. You find the program with which you have the least problems and then you file a bounty for a patch to change the program to your liking.

Or you shut the fuck up and use Gimp. Your complaint about Gimp is invalid.

OP I am literally a game dev and have created buttons/icons for my games many times.

Gimp works perfect for this.

The only thing I don't like about Gimp is there isn't as much support for fonts, if you wanted to do for example a meme font with the black around the edges, you can't.

Gimp is not complicated.

Your criticism is really invalid.

Once Gimp has better support for its text tool, it's pretty much perfect.

MyPaint also works wonderfully and Krita works great too. Why do you not even have Krita in your list?

I'm on Linux Mint 18.1 and I have Krita working. You don't have to have KDE to get Krita working.

Yeah, but it's still free as in freedom and even gratis depending on how you get it. Compiling it on Windows seems to be a pain in the ass so the dev decided to sell compiled versions as well.

Then code your images unless you also suck at coding then you should just write another blog post about other things you don't like.

you can do the black around the edges in gimp, it's just unnecessarily complicated. first you got do text to path, then select a new layer, and then stroke path to have a colored edge.

Unless you meant something different than this.

Even that seems kinda bloated. Deluxe Paint II booted and ran perfectly on my 1-meg Amiga 500, even when I just had the internal floppy drive.

It's botnet time!

IIRC you had to create a layer-shaped selection, then use an option to turn your selection into a halo, and then you had to paint on your selection.
Right click your layer, click Layer style, enable and configure your border.

Pfffffft... Mario Paint ran well on a Super Famicom with 128k of memory.

That runs from cart ROM though.

You don't need to go that far. Photoshop 7 has a fairly decent set of functions (it already had the Liquefy command) and it ran fine on Windows XP with 256 MB of RAM.

I know that but that takes literally about 5-10 minutes whereas a proper tool would take about 5-10 seconds.

No, 5-10 seconds sounds more like it. "LITERALLY"!