Doctor Strange

It's pretty good. There's some nitpicks, like some of the fights being hard to follow because the camera is bouncing all over the place, but when the cool shit was happening, they gave you a chance to really soak it in.

There's some plot nitpicks, also, but this is definitely up there in terms of quality amongst other Marvel Movies.

How do they handle the magic element?

Shill plz

I don't care. Marvel is dead to me. Majority of their comics are shit and the main actors for the movies have all shown their shitty liberal colors with shilling Killary. Then they're having the SJW degeneracy leak into their movie universe more with having almost none of the Spider-man cast be their actual race. Hell even this movie race swapped Mordo for no fucking reason. Oh and then it bent over backwards to try and please China by changing The Ancient One into a white woman. Which, while a stupid move on it's own, is even more stupid by the fact that China won't like this change for a number of reasons. Fuck Marvel and all their shilling of shit

They call it magic. They call their abilities spells (though the Ancient One also explains them as "programs"). The movie even opens with a full-blown magic fight where they really show off that whole fractally/recursion/bendy trippy effect that they showed a lot in the trailers.

But.. and this is one of my nitpicks.. they didn't use a great variety of magic. It's mostly shown being used to create whips, shields, and these invisible air-spear things. There's also a bit of astral projection and the Cape is brought in around the middle of the movie.

The BLACKening of Mordo is especially odd, but he doesn't really get a big backstory or character arc either way. He's honestly one of the weaker parts of the whole movie.

As for the ancient one and the whole Tibet situation, you need to understand a couple things. 1) That China is one of the biggest markets for movies in the world and is one track to eclipse the entirety of the west. 2) That China only allows in a certain number of western movies into their theaters each year, meaning if a movie breaks any of their strict cultural guidelines, it won't ever play in China, and 3) China is fucking insane, retarded, and insanely retarded. That whole country is a goddamned nightmare from top to bottom. There's no word to articulate how fucked up China is.

All that said, Tilda Swinton does a pretty good job as the Ancient One and is appropriately endearing and entertaining.

Plus, there's that whole excuse that it's the "cinematic" universe and not a 1-to-1 recreation of the comics.. Meaning we'll never get to see Doctor Strange go to Wonderland and hang out with the smoking caterpillar.

Do they explain it's case of "whatever form please you" or something like that?

I just really really really fucking hate China and it's government. Fuck. The people themselves are a product of a corrupt system but there's always hope for them to learn better or perhaps even escape from that shit country. I really hate the idea of (((Hollywood))) bowing down and kissing the feet of a communist country just to get more money. Buncha greedy old fucks. They can't get heart attacks and plunge straight to hell fast enough.

Not exactly. It's more like a martial art from the way they show it.. and the fact that a lot of the fights aren't spell-slinging duels, but kung fu fights with spells thrown in, while the entire world twists and reshapes around them.

During the training montage sequence, Strange is shown standing in a kung fu monastery in rows with other students doing katas or forms or whatever. Everyone else is creating these floating sigils in the air as they punch and assume different stances, but Strange is only getting little fizzles in the air.

Seeing as the Good guys and bad guys are both wizards, you'd expect them to do more crazy shit with their seemingly unrestrained powers, but there's a lot of fights where they just charge at each other and grapple.

This is kinda what the Avatar movie should have been, except replace earthbending with building bending.

Also the last bit was gold experience requiem so that was fun

One good thing of Hollywood bowing down to China? At least they wouldn't have the main character be a faggot.

Oh yeah…actually do find how Strange dealt with Dormammu to be clever…and darkly amusing.

You're just trading one type of Communist propaganda for another type of Communist propaganda

But question is..would you rather have faggots or Asian Jews?

I'd rather have neither but at least homosexuals mostly only harm themselves

Dormammu, I've come to bargain
Makes you wonder how many times it happened and what kind of effect it had on Strange. Enough to drive a timeless deity of pure darkness and evil to desperation and madness..

It happened so much that a deity of evil would say "Enough..make it stop!"

Kind of reminds me of Groundhog's Day.. They never give you a tally or an idea of how many times Billy Murray's character went through the same day, but some director commentary hints that the time it would take him to master the Piano would probably be around 30 years worth of daily practice.

I believe there's some script note that put it around 200 years. Realize that not only did he master the piano, he was able to carve a snow sculpture from memory and memorized every detail of misfortune down to the second.

There's a chance that the shock of such a thing even occurring horrified Dorm. It might not have been that long. Or at least I hope Strange wasn't fully aware of the possible eons of death.

I don't know, thats a makes Strange being suddenly Sorcerer Supreme way more plausible, since he practiced magic with Dormamu for thousands of years in magic fights.

Got back to fucking Reddit fag.

be sure to keep him company faggot

That's a whole lot of not caring.

if writing a single paragraph is something you would consider extraordinary effort, then congratulations, you're the target audience for capeshit.

I liked it. The only thing that annoyed me a little were the Sling Rings. You'd think that magicians wouldn't be overtly reliant on what amounts to a trinket to transport places. And the Beyonce joke.

The direction taken with Mordo and the Ancient One isn't worth getting angry about, considering what happens to the latter, and how the movie's events affect Mordo.

If you notice. During the 2nd to last blast of beams from dormammu to Dr. Strange the magic shields strange had were far larger.

Dormammu totally summoned THE POWER! OF THE POWER OF THE POWER!

I thought the movie was pretty fucking fantastic. It's incredibly far removed from the rest of the cape shit going on, and if the main character weren't called Doctor Strange, you could have convinced me it was an original movie. I thought the magic was fairly creative, , thought they could have done more. It never got boring or predictable, at least. But I do agree that it still could have been better on the small scale. The building bending and time rewinding shit was cool as hell, but the fights were still pretty much "kung fu" once people got close to each other.

I only had one major complaint: Strange is supposed to be a HUGE jackoff. And they made him just "kinda arrogant."

Nice catch user(s).

Every. Fucking. Time. Like the Saruman-Gandalf fight.
Movies truly are for normalfags with no imagination or conception of summoning, metamagic, divination, etc…

you can join him ledditor

All i wonder is what'll happen when we get the inevitable 'Dr Strange 2'.

the whole building bending thing might get a bit stale after a while

They wrote him a little bit too much like Tony Stark/Robert Downy Jr. He was quippy and snarky, but he never talked down to anyone with the exception of one scene at the opening where he snapped at Night Nurse.

Still waiting until someone delivers that amazing dimension hopping scene.

Right? I hate that bullshit. Make magic look and feel like something other than a Green Lantern ring. Creating objects is fine but should only be used in a situation where the enemy can't be harmed by traditional magic or you don't have time to cast spells. Like give us some beams of power, elemental magic, summoning demon helpers, or even just generic balls of light flying too and fro. SOMETHING other than create sword, whip, etc.

You know, if they do all that shit in the first movie, why keep watching?

You gotta learn franchise 101.

I stopped keeping up with Marvel after all the Avengers actors started shilling for Hillary. Haven't seen Doctor Strange because I refuse to watch Marvel movies anymore.

There was that groundhog day loop thing, yes?

It's still effort. Not much, but more than "I don't care" or "I hate this shit."

I hope they expand on it in the next film. Think of it as people using magic to supplement their best abilities. If there are some people who are really good at kung-fu, then they'll use magic to help that out. Sure there might be ssourcerers who are really creative with spells, but it can be pretty hard to concentrate on clever problem solving while getting kicked in the nads.

Maybe in the next film Strange will use him clever thinking a lot more, once he has time to learn more magic, and is used to being in actual life or death fights.

It's more of an 'I don't care if it was good or not' statement.

This also pleased me. I assumed that they were going to explain his power level away with the typical "you have god-tier aptitude" angle, but they also piled on years of practice while fighting and dying and keeping his sanity against an impossible foe. I felt like he had earned his power by the end.

I was also surprised by the tag scene with Thor. I wasn't expecting to leave the theatre hyped for Thor: Ragnarok, but a Thor/Hulk/Dr. Strange teamup movie sounds fucking dope

Precognition, accelerated cognition, time-manipulation, contingency spells, discreet familiar body-guards, passive illusions, use a simulacrum, replace nads with superior infernal flesh, get a phylactery, and start thinking with magic.
Kung-fu, what the fuck…

They made their position about not becoming inhuman abominations powered by magic and darkness quite clear, user. No excuse on the badguy's part, though

Tch, you Western sorcerers and your Cartesian division of mind and body, observed and observer, and your mechanistic paradigm…

I agree 100%, but learning a bunch of martial arts never hurt anyone's survival rate.

I haven't read much Marvel, and I don't think Strange has even had his own book for awhile.
Is there anything that's a must read for him, especially to get some comparison to how the movie handled the source and all that fun stuff?

The plot felt a little rushed, and it definitely played it safe in some parts, but I did really enjoy it, and am curious about the source.

Ditko is always essential

Sorry I don't like movies that bend over for china

So did you like fembusters?

Bah, small-minded Luddites!

I fail to see the problem. What are your suggestions? Something like pic related, a self-contained observed and observer? Truly the essence of the Tao, no?

Well, no, but it is time that could be spent learning how to pierce the veil between worlds, which has more utility.

This.

Wizards keep familiars, thralls, and party members for the purpose of thwarting physical assault. A basic fitness regiment is fine, but when Magic is the best thing you can do, devoting yourself to things that aren't Magic means that you could have made your magic a little bit stronger.

Lets be honest, when a fuckhuge monster starts tearing a hole in the sky in order to invade Earth and your team members look to you for help, your kung-fu means jack shit compared to your "Anti Dimensional Travel" spell that Would've been complete if you'd dedicated your roundhouse kick training time to it.

Don't multiclass when your main class is the reason for your existence.

Checked. There's Strange 215's series, which I really don't recommend due to it's shity art and writing. On the other hand "Doctor Strange The Oath" is pretty good and the scene of Strange using his astral projection to assist on operating his injured body is lift off from that.

If you've mastered taoist immortality through internal alchemy, you've got time to learn ALL the other stuff, without all that blowing your eyebrows off and hiring unreliable barbarians to source ingredients with alchemy and becoming a lich with necromancy.

And at low levels at least you have a better chance to dodge when shit gets past your meat shield fighter.

/tg/ is right. It's especially weird that they bothered with any of the Kung Fu and fighting shit in this movie when you remember two key factors
This makes all the temple yard kata and form practice especially pointless. And..
Doctor Strange is so damned great at studying and such a fast learner, combined with the benefits of being able to study while astral projecting and not needing to reread anything he's already read, that he should have countless abilities on hand at all times.

He read a highly advanced ritual for controlling time (a feat which should definitely rank way up there in complexity and difficulty) and did it on his first try, while also controlling an infinity stone.. and after that, he had it mastered to the point that he could do it on the fly and against extra-dimensional Gods.

This is on top of him being a genius and an amazing doctor who was capable of taking on extreme cases that no one else could pull off. Doctor Strange should never have to throw a punch, let alone grapple with someone.

Admittedly, this is newbie Doctor Strange in the movie who was just starting to realize his role as a Sorcerer, but all the hand-to-hand comes off as an excuse not to run up the special effects budget further.

Watching the movie, I was surprised they didn't really suggest there was a "real" Ancient One, like The Mandarin. At the very least I expected them to say it's a passed on title, or it's not her only form.

Well, nobody till now mentioned immortality through kung-fu. One would have to compare benefits and costs to other ways to life-extension.
Sure, combat training, light armor and a staff/gun/whatever doesn't hurt, depending on the wizard ( ), but there's a point when you get negative returns compared to if you invested time and energy in actual magic. Besides, not every wizard needs to be a combat wizard.

I was referring to the opportunity cost of studying kung-fu instead of improving your magic. Having an unending natural life span only allows obscure dabbling if you are experiencing a lengthy peace time or if you somehow run out of things to learn.

'Linear fighters, quadratic wizards' literally only happens in shitty poorly balanced systems btw

Wew, that's and entire paragraph of being an extremely autistic bitch. What don't you hate?

Well don't just leave it at that. Gib example of well-balanced system.

I think all the kung fu and katas could be chalked up to them wanting their students to develop discipline and a sense of mind over matter rather than purely learning fight techniques. Learning martial arts, to me, was a supplement to get them in the correct mind set for learning magic. Cool fight moves was a bonus.

You could use that excuse. But quite frankly I just think they just couldn't wrap their heads around making magic look cool.

(Wasted)
You're not welcome here Disney shills.

Well that and you don't wanna be out of shape in a magic battle.

I like how they didn't go all 'Western science is wrong and close-minded, the truth is in vaguely eastern mumbo-jumbo' but the Ancient One explained magic to Strange in scientific terms and his skill in studying and technical expertise were immediately applied to magic.

D&D 4e about managed it, despite the screaming and whining that it actually gave martials stuff to do. (see also the 'fouree is wow' meme) 2e had something similar in that wizards had to fucking earn their magic and had a hard time staying alive long enough to actually cast their powerful spells without other classes keeping enemies busy. But nerds love their 'reading books makes me a god, those dumb jocks all peaked in high school' fantasy.

Fucking shameful.

I liked the animated doctor strange movie better. because sibling shit is better than the standard romance shit

Thank you! More people need to recognize and acknowledge this crazy bowing down to communist china shit.

You realise their entire culture is built around money right

The hell have you been? China is corrupt and communist as fuck!

More of a point that the Ancient One's whitewashing is basically because China will throw a fit if anyone admits Tibet exists

(though the whole 'old Asian mystic master' thing is way overdone anyway, bald ancient druid was a nice change of pace)

did it still exist mostly to have "normal person" reactions?

inb4 someone posts the infograph of prominent jews involved in the communist uprising of china