Exclusive: GM plans to build, test thousands of self-driving Bolts in 2018 - sources

General Motors Co plans to deploy thousands of self-driving electric cars in test fleets in partnership with ride-sharing affiliate Lyft Inc, beginning in 2018, two sources familiar with the automaker’s plans said this week.

It is expected to be the largest such test of fully autonomous vehicles by any major automaker before 2020, when several companies have said they plan to begin building and deploying such vehicles in higher volumes. Alphabet Inc's Waymo subsidiary, in comparison, is currently testing about 60 self-driving prototypes in four states.

Most of the specially equipped versions of the Chevrolet Bolt electric vehicle will be used by San Francisco-based Lyft, which will test them in its ride-sharing fleet in several states, one of the sources said. GM has no immediate plans to sell the Bolt AV to individual customers, according to the source.

The sources spoke only on condition of anonymity because GM has not announced its plans yet.

GM executives have said in interviews and investor presentations during the past year they intend to mass-produce autonomous vehicles and deploy them in ride services fleets. However, GM officials have not revealed details of the scale of production, or the timing of the deployment of those vehicles.

In a statement on Friday, GM said: "We do not provide specific details on potential future products or technology rollout plans. We have said that our AV technology will appear in an on-demand ride sharing network application sooner than you might think."

Lyft declined to comment.

GM's crosstown rival Ford Motor Co has said it plans to begin building its first self-driving vehicles at a suburban Detroit plant in late 2020, for deployment in on-demand ride sharing fleets in 2021. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is providing a small number of Chrysler Pacifica minivans to Waymo, which is converting them for self-driving tests.

GM's Maven car sharing operation likely will be involved with Lyft in developing a commercial ride sharing business around self-driving vehicles such as the Bolt AV, GM executive Mike Ableson told Reuters in a November interview.

"If you assume the cost of these autonomous vehicles, the very early ones, will be six figures, there aren’t very many retail customers that are willing to go out and spend that kind of money," Ableson said. "But even at that sort of cost, with a ride sharing platform, you can build a business."

Chief Executive Mary Barra in mid-December said GM would begin building a fully autonomous version of the Bolt EV in early 2017 at its Orion Township plant north of Detroit.

GM is testing about 40 Bolt AVs in San Francisco and Scottsdale, Arizona, and plans to extend testing this year to Detroit, the automaker said in December. [nL1N1E81IU]

A year ago, GM paid $500 million for a minority stake in Lyft, the second-largest U.S. ride sharing firm after Uber. [nL3N14O3VA]

Before it closed the deal, Ableson said he and GM President Dan Ammann discussed with Lyft founders Logan Green and John Zimmer the prospect of jointly developing a ride sharing business with self-driving cars.

reuters.com/article/us-gm-autonomous-exclusive-idUSKBN15W283

Other urls found in this thread:

media.ccc.de/v/33c3-8414-corporate_surveillance_digital_tracking_big_data_privacy
youtube.com/watch?v=rStL7niR7gs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TORCS
youtube.com/watch?v=MqL9FFIz-wU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So how long before people figure out how to hijack them?

Or how long until they become pic related?

aside from the facts Bolts don't have the MBS thankfully

This is bullshit. We are losing our freedom and very quickly moving toward a world where literally every machine in our daily lives is an automated robot that records everything that we do and attempts to manipulate us based on what the owner/stockholders of said companies wants. How long until your route is pre-designated to take you by political billboards or demonstrations in the same way that Google results were skewed toward certain political candidates?

ELON MUSK ON SUICIDE WATCH

the goog has figured out I don't really give a shit about gay single mothers and now spams me with stephen molyneux videos. they only care about money. how green is your money d00d?

Chris Fisher, we all know it's you. Thate your systemd-loving ass back to reddit where you belong.

It's already there (on a certain level)
media.ccc.de/v/33c3-8414-corporate_surveillance_digital_tracking_big_data_privacy

Ignore them?

Linus had his balls cut off. The impotence is rotting his brain.

welfare-state low-T beta cucks like this are going to be curb-stomped into the history books by ambitious, entrepreneurial capitalists with degrees in automation lethally-autonomous robots.

lol, retarded libshit doesn't understand the fundamental nature of government as usual

See vid related, a mass automated economy is basically the same as a banana republic which relies on oil/diamonds/etc and so will gravitate toward the same power structure.
youtube.com/watch?v=rStL7niR7gs

This, except with slightly less killbots.

Those such as yourself who try to stand still in a raging river are doomed to the genetic trashbin of history. Only those who act, either to fight it by producing alternative technologies or go with the flow and make money accelerating it, have any hope of surviving.

>>>Holla Forums

self driving GNU/Car when?

This self-driving shit is absolutely fucking gay and all the manufacturers are trying to ram this poz load into out neg holes because normalfags who like shiny baubles will give it positive buzz and that might help drive sales.

Beyond that self driving = first step in restricting travel. It's high time for a new car manufacturer to build a car devoid of this faggot shit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TORCS

Just connect a TORCS AI to your car.

Cool story bro

The problem is the argument in favor of these cars is rock solid. You look at the lowest common denominator of drivers and they are utterly irresponsible incompetent fucks that probably failed the retard proof written exam several times.

I have a flawless driving record after 7 years on the road and would never want this, but almost everyone my age I know has a record of a small accident all the way to a totaled car(s). I don't want any of these people on my roads but they still are. If these things become successful it will be because the average person is a fucking moron who can't drive worth a shit.

Why are you even here?

long cat is long!

Then you make licensing requirements harsher. I've never understood governments trying to legislate out stupidity. You filter out a cluster of retards at the front end, and any remaining retards filter themselves out on the back end. You don't just make life shitty for everyone in an attempt to protect the most useless elements of society from themselves.

meh, I got in a small accident when changing lanes when I was a teenager, because I was a dipshit teenager who didn't listen to my instructor or my parents. it scared me real quick to always fucking check your mirrors and blind spots before you even signal, stop at stop signs and when yellow and you're not in the intersection, no question. everyone needs an accident to wake them the fuck up to the fact that they're in a several-ton metal death trap, usually at speeds that will kill themselves and pedestrians.

as for dipshits who wrap themselves around a tree at 30 years old, sure.

there are some accidents that can't be avoided quite as easily, even when driving cautiously, because there's another retard perpetrating it in the equation, but they're rare.

but even then, after years it's almost robotic, sometimes tedious. I don't even remember driving from one place to another most of the time. so I won't really miss driving, when it reaches a level that I can actually do fucking work instead of worrying about negotiating a four way stop sign or staying in the lanes.

Can these cars even handle a winter weather?

Why can't we embed again?

youtube.com/watch?v=MqL9FFIz-wU

I don't see how anyone anticipates doing work in a self driving car when it's completely unproductive to do work in a car as a passenger. The main users of self driving cars will be passed out drunk sluts.

Its like they didnt read that story from isaac asimov

Electric cars are shit, only self-righteous liberal faggots in california drive them thinking they're protecting them environment when they require more destruction to charge them than a gasoline car and the piece of shit no longer works when the niggers and their shitty cars cause blackouts so they can't even charge the piece of shit anymore. Fuck electric and fuck those who promote it.

Yeah, let me know when your gas engine car can give 100% torque at all speeds. I have an electric car, but I don't give a shit about environmental considerations. I have one because they're fun to drive. The handling is goddamn amazing, and the acceleration is like you're flying a fucking fighter jet.

Plus, the simpler drivetrain. Less can go wrong. It's not a crazy thermodynamic rube goldberg machine like a combustion engine. Fuck all that shit. You can get ripped off by sketchy mechanics or spend all weekend DIY'ing a fix for your gas car if you want. I'll enjoy my almost-zero-maintenance electric drivetrain.

are you all taxi drivers or something? if they are all linked to a massive botnet, it could save hundreds of thousands annually by preventing accidents

by the way you would be able to get drunk at a bar and have the car drive you back safely? are you really gonna tell me that it's not gonna be a massive selling point that it prevents DUI crashes. Invest in this technology.

This is my biggest concern with self-driving cars. Not only are they a terrible botnet but the advantages of 100% driverless roads will mean that manually-driven or botnet-free cars will be illegal for public road travel within our lifetimes.

We need to brace our assholes for the inevitable. Or embrace webm related, I guess.

Ironically I was in a friend's car when they did this (like full on slammed the brakes) and we got rear ended. It was so low speed that it didn't even scratch the bumper for either party, but it definitely felt unnatural in the moment and I don't blame the driver behind us at all.
Only stop at yellow if you can do so gently. It's important to feel the flow of traffic. It's a shame cops enforce the law so rigidly to where people don't follow this advice.

At least you can easily maintain a combustion-engine car. Unless your car is a DIY shitbox with an industrial electric engine, you're going to have to pay the company's mechanics to repair their proprietary parts. And that's before it becomes a de facto problem, not a de jure one.

You said?

Torque is harshly capped at low speeds and you aren't even aware of it.

Looks like you can't even read your own graph. Torque is maximum at low speeds for electrical motors.

Car ownership will become a thing of the past. Uber will be automated. HIghways and roads will have sensors installed to aid navigation of autonoumous cars.

More jobs will be lost. civil unrest will be inevitable within 10 years without UBI.

/thread

majority of idiots here actually believe that letting a drunkard crash into a minivan is better

even 4/o/ knows better about this shit

You haven't made a case as to why retards killing themselves isn't a good thing. Also drunk drivers tend to be out at stupid hours of the night where most people are home so the odds of maiming decent people are relatively low

So as long as one life is saved, it's okay to give up your freedoms? You sound like gun grabbers and Panopticon-apologists.

Because then all the retards cry "muh human rights!" and craftier politicians figure out they can get re-elected for decades as long as they vote for bills that give the dregs of society more power and/or free money.

Insurance companies have far better lawyers than individuals but they still regularly assume liability with and without court ordered liability. People regularly take them to court and they do win even with all that legal expertise in the insurance company.

Your point being? There are car malfunctions already and always will be.
But it's safe to assume deaths by drunk driving will decrease with self driving vehicles.

This is the slope you're slipping

What freedom are you talking about? It doesn't exist!

Yes, and it's low for high speeds. If it's "100% torque in all speed range" then it's low high torque range is capped to shit.

This is where your logic flew out of the window and entire point is invalidated. But hey, you're a burger, it's perfectly normal for you hooknose filthy yids to sue everyone for everything to profit off other people with no work required, often enough to profit off other people because you yourself being retarded. You fuckwits would sue the fundamental laws of physics if you could.

That goes without saying, by "within the intersection" it's several seconds, give or take.

But someone riding your ass is always a problem, stop light or not. Usually I just tell them to fuck off if they're on my ass at ~5 over by tapping on the breaks. Of course, there's some retards who don't understand what "fuck off" means but it's rare.