Is Ghostery a botnet now?

You have probably seen the news already:

ghostery.com/blog/ghostery-news/ghostery-acquired-cliqz/

I have never heard of this company, nor their browser and I'm German myself. German IT in general is shit, too. This doesn't seem to bode well for Ghostery, regardless of the owning company being "about privacy" or not.

Other urls found in this thread:

fixubuntu.com/
ubuntu-mate.org/
trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/17569
trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/15279
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

ha ha ha

Looking at the Hubert Burda Media group - also something I have never heard of - it seems like they are mostly into bullshit yellow press and normalfag media as well.

I do not trust these people one bit.

Ghostery is proprietary and literally sells (anonymized) data to data mining companies. It was a botnet all along.

Hasn't Ghostery itself been a botnet for a while now? This is old news.

Ghostery was confirmed a botnet 4 years ago

Where you been?

wtf, i hate ghostery now

is that shit even GPL?

Just realized its been so long. Where did time go?

Don't people generally recommend HTTPSEverywhere and Ghostery as entry-level privacy addons even here? I for one haven't heard of them selling user data yet.

HTTPS everywhere yes, ghostery hell no.

Bet this retard uses chrome

Only retards like Holla Forums

i just don't understand this level of blatant projecting

I remember when people were able to use nuanced terminology like spyware, adware, malware, virus and botnet (to describe actual botnets). Now everything is just "botnet," including closed source programs that have no internet connectivity (everyone thinks internet connections are magic and "botnets" can send and receive data without anyone being able to block or detect it).

It's a meme you dip. I propose we start using "nsaware" instead.

I'm running HHTPSEverywhere, Disconnect, Browsec, Hotspot Shield, IPFlood!, and ZenMate. How fucked am I on a scale of 1337 to "NSA is watching me masturbate to hentai and laughing at my penis"?

*HTTPS
Holla Forumsack here. I don't visit you guys often, but since I'll be watching this thread, might as well ask the pros. I'm thinking about getting Ubuntu 16.04 LTS to run also. Wise choice or am I a faggot normie who should never try to Linux? Any other Linux suggestion? Thanks.

Should be fine, as long as you follow these instructions after installing:
fixubuntu.com/

The problem described on that page only affects the default version of Ubuntu, not other distros or Ubuntu variants like Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME and such.

If you want something that's a bit more customizable and Windows-like but not completely autistic you could try Ubuntu MATE instead:
ubuntu-mate.org/

That fixubuntu website is irrelevant with newer versions of Ubuntu because they removed that Amazon thing.

If you're migrating from Windows than either Ubuntu-Mate or Linux Mint. You can try both without installing them to disk.

Thanks, guys. I looked at Linux Mint also. I'll check into Mate and Mint again. As for my browser setup, solid enough? on FF.

Browsec, Hotspot Shield and ZenMate seem shady to me, and redundant, but the others are solid. Instead of a browser extension VPN I'd recommend using the Tor Browser Bundle.

I also recommend installing uBlock Origin. If you install some privacy lists in it (can be done through the "3rd party filters" tab of its interface) you don't need Disconnect any more.

Never know if a VPN is shady or not, but I've yet to hear anything bad about them. Redundant, meh, I like having them to turn on and off as needed. I can switch around a variety of proxies this way. The only time I run them stacked is for extra spoopy stuff. Minor lag.

Ubuntu MATE. It's really polished, light on resources and has lots of neat tools to make it easier to use. MATE-Tweak is a tool that comes built in and lets you make it look like Windows/Mac/whatever you want in one click.
As for addons, get Ublock Origin and Umatrix at least. Umatrix is hard to learn but once you get the hang of it it's too good to not use.

Thanks for the advice. Will do.

Is there any point to using uMatrix in Tor Browser?

Depends on what tor blocks normally. umatrix blocks js, cookies, images and other things, and it can do it on a site-by-site basis. If a tor site required js for something, but you didn't want to disable it for other sites it gets data from, umatrix should help.
It shouldn't hurt to have it at least.

It makes you stand out though because your browser is now loading a different set of resources that the rest.
Right now I'm using only uBlock, which isn't such a fingerprint issue given that it's included by default on Tails so at worst you just look like another Tails user.
There's actually a debate to include uBlock (or both uBlock and uMatrix) in Tor Browser by default:
trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/17569
trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/15279

Linux for niggers

any alternatives to ghostery? you know... that actually block trackers instead of botnetting you

uBlock Origin, with privacy lists. You can install them through the "third party filters" tab.

Why are you even on Holla Forums?

A meme that actually clouds people's ability to communicate and understand things.

eff has privacy badger it does the exact same things as ghostery and is basically a hevily customized fork

privacy badger tracks the trackers (and therefore websites) that you visit and dynamically creates a block profile just for you. This makes your fingerprint unique.
Besides that EFF are shills for the status quo, they consider blocking ads "evil".