Is there any way to really snap people out of the Spectacle for a moment other than Detournement...

Is there any way to really snap people out of the Spectacle for a moment other than Detournement? Post stuff that really pierced the veil of ideology for you. Pic not necessarily related, its just a bunch of marxist terminology superimposed over a western and I don't really get it.
Spectacle general I guess, need to understand it better.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WmgHAT7IdDQ
britannica.com/art/alienation-effect
fastcodesign.com/1663417/situationist-iphone-app-turns-your-social-network-into-an-art-collective
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Maximum file size: 8,388,608 bytes
Your file's size: 8,392,749 bytes

mother fucker

This is Godard developing on Brecht's alienation effect for cinema.
You can find the whole movie on vimeo.com.

(notice the quiet "organize!" "unite!" etc. under the shots of workers)

aaghhh I just don't get it
How does this link to the marxian concept of alienation? I get the absurdity of the spooks that dude is reeling off but I'm too much of an autismal STEM tard

youtube.com/watch?v=WmgHAT7IdDQ
time to talk about JOBS

britannica.com/art/alienation-effect

ahhh okay

When you watch FOX news what do you see and experience? You watch a presentation on real events (e.g. Verizon strike) through the filter of a bourgeois narrative (e.g. "freeloaders"). The two fuse together inseparably to the point that it becomes your spontaneous view of the real world itself, so when you drive next to the strikers you flip them the bird and yell: "lazy hippies!"

What makes one notice a "glitch in the matrix," incongruence between ideology and economic reality? An obvious way would be real life experience on the job-market. Like many anons report on this board: "I was a libertarian then I got employed for the first timeā€¦" Another way would be art. This second one is what interests Brecht and Godard, because they truly believed that through art alone they can change people's perception of life and could inspire critical thoughts about it.

So what is happening in this short? A deconstruction of the FOX news experience of sorts. Godard separates what in the original belongs together: commentary and images of reality, but he does it in a specific way: he exaggerates in both directions.

What usually is just latent or watered down or sneakily placed and cleverly paced in news commentary becomes overt here, to the point that it is an openly fascistic speech. He unclothes the politically correct and latent class hatred towards the spectator. This commentary is shot in black and white, that is, in high(er) contrast.

He wants to put emphasis on the real life images and he does this by shooting them in color, and without sound, in a way underlining that it has been freed from any distraction (traffic sounds, noises of work, and most importantly the commentary which in "original" would dominate the segment). This opens up the possibility of experiencing the muffled voices ("organize! wild cat strike! unite!") as "natural" or inbuilt narrative of the economic system itself, the original narrative of capitalism otherwise manipulated and silenced by the commentator.

Finally, he inverts the traditional relationship between the images and the sound: we are used to hearing the narrator over the pictures (of, say, Verizon strikers, calling them lazy), but not the other way around (the images silencing, interrupting the speech of the narrator).

The effect? I don't feel anger against the commentator however exaggerated he is. I'm presented with the totality: the economic system, the muffled voice of labor, and on top, the unclothed emperor, and on a structural level (what I've been explaining to you): their relationships.

I am made to think, not feel.

fastcodesign.com/1663417/situationist-iphone-app-turns-your-social-network-into-an-art-collective

Just found this fucking abomination.
Debord confirmed for turning in his grave so fast he's drilling through the fucking mantle

Well fug, think I'm starting to make sense of it now. Thanks very much freudposter.

>>>/freedu/1156

my pleasure

Art is better at reinforcing what a person already believes than it is at encouraging people to think something new. FOX News is repellant to everyone who does not watch it with some preexisting sympathy toward its narrative. Art is a poor tool for opening closed minds, despite its reputation. It can not tell a person what to think, only affirm what they do think.

What reaction do you have to the nazi artwork in the picture? I would wager that your mind is already closed to its message, and as such it appears repellant to you as it does to me. It does not have the ability to convince, but it might excite the emotions of certain individuals over at Holla Forums.

Shit son Rai Tre used to be fucking based.

This is just completely bogus: the statement doesn't just ignore our capacity to learn, to engage, and to think critically, but it completely disregards the history of art. Think about the Greek theatre, for example. It was believed to be a great tool of education, of encouraging people to debate the state of the polis, to raise questions about ethics. Or what about movies, concerts, plays that ended in riots, later to be accepted as crucial parts of the canon?

There can't be such a thing as a closed mind, to begin with. We are not reducible to automata. Thoughts are subversive by their very nature, be they artistic, philosophical, scientific, etc.

Not much, I view at it as anachronistic propaganda. And again, if propaganda could only reinforce pre-existing beliefs, not create new ones, manipulate others, it wouldn't be so useful to those in power.

Yes it does, you are not paying attention to poltards then. People like nazi aesthetics because of its portrayal of unity, discipline, a great cause, fate, etc. It has a long history of drawing people in without them realizing its political undertones. Otherwise propaganda would be useless.

I'm sure he expected shit like that. The consumerist society will colonize everything revolutionary and turn it into a commodity (and everything else that it can't commodify will be accused of terrorism). That's why capitalism is both so fucking brilliant and so fucking horrible.

bemp

Thanks, Freudposter!

bump

you's welcome

But that poster would not convince anyone who isn't already a Nazi because it isn't designed to. It's designed to evoke feelings of passion, loyalty and patriotism towards |Adolf Hitler. Theoretically Nazi's could still produce some kind of artwork that could plant certain seeds of thought into peoples heads.