Discord

I don't get it. How did so many people jump on Discord? It's like on day everyone woke up and said, "I guess we'll be using Discord from now on, join me on Discord!"

What makes this so special compared to Xfire, IRC, Evolve, and all the other bullshit chat programs that existed so far? People are creaming themselves over this program, but it's something that a ton of programs have done before, text chat. I don't get it, and I hate how people act like complete fags when they join any discussion.

Other urls found in this thread:

matrix.org/
discordapp.com/nitro
en.lichess.org/forum/lichess-feedback/lichess-discord-chat-free-for-all-to-join
riot.im/app/#/directory
github.com/vector-im/riot-web
venturebeat.com/2016/01/26/discord-raises-20m-for-voice-comm-app-for-multiplayer-mobile-games/
discordapp.com/tos
discordapp.com/privacy
google.com/policies/privacy/partners.
github.com/pirate/sites-using-cloudflare
media.ccc.de/v/33c3-8414-corporate_surveillance_digital_tracking_big_data_privacy
cdn.chiefmartec.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/marketing_technology_landscape_2016_3000px.jpg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Lots of marketing, ease of use, no major fees yet, integrated voice and chat, low barrier to entry, cross platform. Lots of reasons it'd catch on with people that can't be fucked to stop using SMS to begin with.

But as it becomes more popular it will have ads or will go full NSA/skype tier, it's a shame people haven't learned anything. The only way I'd use discord happily is if it was open source, no reason to use it if some shitty company is just gonna spy on my conversations.

Refuse to use it then. Anyone who does use it is a fucking moron anyway and you wouldn't want to associate with fucking morons would you? Or do you enjoy having your conversations logged?

Why the hostility? I opened the thread saying I hate it. Why would I use it?

Wasn't directed at you, sorry. I just fucking hate discord too. I agree with you. I hate seeing the stupid shit spammed all over the place with zero regard for privacy and the stupid normalfaggots who use it will never, ever care. It's fucking cancer and needs to die.

Does it use encryption?

People don't care about privacy

Why bother installing shit like ventrilo (is this still used?), mumble, skype, teamchat whatever when you can just open a browser

yes, it encrypts everything you type in the keyboard to a temporary buffer and discards the buffer

I've been trying to tell people here this here before. I'm no coder etc. but I've worked in big tech almost my whole adult life. The thing that most hard-core tech people and open source everything should be free people don't get is one simple and basic truth.

Shit needs to be simple, pleasing and aesthetic for the masses to use it. Granted Discord is free (for now) but they got the main things right from the get go.

From the perspective of your average user:

1. It's ultra easy to set up a Discord server. Literally any idiot can do it. Compared to IRC and what have you Discord is like floating on a cloud when the others are like trying to run a marathon with concrete shoes.

2. It's extremely easy to use. All you need is a browser nothing more. You don't need to sit there and guess which application I'll use to do this or that or to access the chat I want into

3. It's simplistic and looks good for the normie

4. Inviting others to your servers is just one click and you have full control

5. You don't need to spend half a day explaining to some not good with computers how to get it working

6. Mobile support from the get-go

Now had this been an open source project of any kind it would have, as usual, been filled to the brim with shit no one really uses but has it there just because one autist wants it there. As it was set up to be free forever the devs would run out of money and everything shuts down. Discord on the other hand has venture capital pouring in from doors and windows.

With no money people would have to set up their own server which would exclude 90% of the market immediately. And another 7% who're not willing to pay to host a server to meme with friends on. Leaving it to the whim of some autistic moron who's so full of himself he'll be a raging moron to everyone and no one likes to come online. Which sadly is the type most hard-core techies come across as.

Finally there would be some infighting and we'd see 1000000 different forks that all leaf to fucking nowhere until we have nothing.

The reason discord succeeded is because it made it easy, user friendly, accessible to the masses, and didn't fill it to the brim with shit that some pedantic fuck wants.

For better and for worse the open source community has itself to blame for the lack of adoption on the wider "market".

I know some will get butthurt by this, but it is the damn truth and anyone who's even remotely honest about it knows it is the truth.

I don't think that everything should be open source. I think that a software that is for conversations should be, I do not want my conversations listened. It's a really really important thing. You are right about some things, it did get popular and you did state good reasons for that. I don't think that makes me wrong for hating Discord though, it just makes most people ignorant.

A door straight to the NSA. DIDF pls go.

I agree with this wholly. If there was a good option chat that allows me to voice chat, send messages etc. encrypted and without collecting my data in any way be it name etc. I'd happily pay for it.

But the alternatives out there are either either wholly focused on gathering any bit of information they can, utter crap or then unusable.

Discord could really take this to the next level considering the huge adaptation they've got now. Make a fully encrypted IM client of some sort with voice and video calls. I think many would be willing to pitch out some cash for a yearly license etc. As long as the pricing is reasonable.

Every few years this happens. It's retards thinking they've found something amazing and new.
etc.

Talk about completely missing the point and derailing the discussion. OP clearly asks why it's so popular. Not to what extent it's NSA etc.

So what was your point? That discord is a super easy way for retards to communicate with the braindead?

That is true. Very true. But that's also not the matter at hand. The question is why it got so popular. And the answer is that it's easy to use, looks good, has phone support and all that.

Compared to Mumble, TS, irc etc. Discord plays in a league on its own in the eyes of the normies. Which is why it is so successful.

What usually causes these to fail is the cancer of silicon valley. Social Justice Warriors. Twitter starts becoming political, people get pissed, move along, facebook does the same etc. They stop developing and improving and start to focus more time on saving the world than caring for their customer base.

Well if you'd take a moment and read what I said you'd see what my point is. It's there very clearly described.

There is an open source option that let's you chat through audio and text. It also allows you to send files and let the other guy you're chatting with see your desktop if you want too. It's encrypted.

Tox. You don't even need online accounts or even to install it, it's portable. Why don't people use this instead of discord... I don't know.

Explain yourself.

So new he things reddit spacing is a real thing and not a meme.

Oh, he was talking about the reddit spacing bullshit. I just assume everyone who shits that out of his mouth is a newfag, this "reddit spacing" shit is new, a few months old.

You don't know tox is made and promoted by redditors?

Thanks for making Holla Forums even more shit faggot

Where do retards like you come from?

I'm pretty sure tox was started by 4cucks, maybe they are on reddit now though. But it's open source and doesn't store data on "the cloud" and it's encrypted. I like that.

Don't you think you're trying a little too hard to fit in? You were not even here a year ago if you think people calling out "reddit spacing" is something old. Go and prove yourself to someone else faggot.

it was shilled everywhere, especially to gamers
mostly its a convenience thing otherwise, people are retarded and can't download an irc client and mumble.

for something actually special: Matrix is supposed to be the decentralized open standard replacing IRC and then some from what i can tell but i have no idea how good it is in practice. does anyone here even use it yet? matrix.org/
Tox and Ring are trying to be secure open source skype replacements.

do you see the problem yet?

Well, I obviously knew that almost all people would find open source programs too much of a headache and they just go for what's trendy. I know that people like convenience and they'd rather sacrifice their freedom like the idiots they are. I am just surprised by how quickly this discord advertising between people started. I don't know if one month ago I've heard anyone say that I should use discord, but now it's everywhere.

The thing is that this sort of convenience has been seen before in other programs too.

Yeah it's new. Funny thing is that if you look at all the old pinned threads they're all with "reddit spacing".

Not from reddit unlike you faggot.

It's been like this for more than a year now. It started early 2016 and has been growing ever since.

TAKE THE POO
O

T
H
E

L
O
O

Mumble is free software, I'm happy to shill for it.

It was started on 4chan and then main devs discovered that majority of 4chan userbase are retarded kids and moved to their own subreddit.

People literally stole money and made countless fake blogs/websites to shill against tox. Just to cause drama.

it already does read the EULA

If one component of software isn't free software you compromise the integrity of the system.
There is no compromise possible.

It is very easy to create server. convenient to join. After all muh botnet I have met lot of channers and found servers related there.

I use it cause one lot lighter then skype also i hate skype

easy to fuck to use to get new people into aka the browser and short links making it great for gaming groups or pugs without downloadin shitty voice apps dont mind mumble but before proplr still jump between vent and ts i hated ts

Easy to share pics/gifs/videos etc its literally retard proof then having to walk retards thru shit.

I see where they are headed thou they just recently launched their premium account which is like what 50 bucks a year also giving use the ability to have gif profiles

I mean ya they see ur chats and shit but really dont have much to hide when i use it so doesnt bother me

That's retarded. It's like tinder pricing. Not that I use tinder but I still found their reasoning retarded. If you want cash you want to make sure as many as possible buy it. Discord has probably a few million users already. Had they asked for $10 a rear they'd sell 50% more than they'll ever do for $50. Hell or made it something like $2 a month and people would just throw it at them.

I really miss Xfire. Can't stand using shit like GOG Galaxy or Steam that are maintained by retailers.

discordapp.com/nitro
Gif avatars
Custom emotes anywhere
Goybadge
Bigger upload limit
$4.99 a month
So basically a twitch sub/prime
And there are twitch fags who sub to 5 plus streamers so retards could get sucker into it enough to fund discord most likely

xfire was really nice

What cancerous cancer.

What a waste of trips.

Exactly, it's made by redditors

Why do you newfags make it so obvious?

they know how to hustle OP, git gud

0/10
skype just doesn't look right in this list of software, you probably included it by accident

No, all software suffers from this shit. If you have worked in big tech as you claim you have seen hundreds of so called 'enterprise' level software filled to the brim with absolute bullshit.

Most OSS is pretty simple in comparison. I think you are confusing marketing with design.

It's for tards, basically. The only voice chat I do is on a mumble server hosted by a friend that like 8 people are on regularly, 3 or 4 daily.

I joined a mate's Discord server.
We only use it to send shit memes we create/steal from here and voice chat while in a game.
There's maybe 10 of us total, and it's not linked to any other accounts.

Works fine, no payments, and the NSA spying on us 8-man raiding shitty Roblox and Minecraft servers while screencapping the salt is fine by me.

I'm not terribly interested in it, by any means. Just easier to set up that another voice chat service, and not owned by Facebook or MS, so I feel slightly better.

I should do up an alt-right/SJW buzzword-bingo card. Or maybe one for each. Because fat neckbears blaming Silicon Valley SJWs for all their problems in life would be the CENTRE FUCKING SQUARE.

The investors have donated great fortunes, and expect repayment in kind.

NO

What the fuck. The app could be made in a few weeks.

Tox has nothing to do with reddit. They only have a subreddit (meant for community only, not development) which is pretty much dead anyway.

That's like saying if they have a Google+ community group that it is made by Google+ users.

Marketing, infrastructure. I imagine they've thrown that amount into it for how popular it is.

They didn't bother wasting their time trying to cater to the 20 russians that use "Xfire" or whatever. Their entire marketing campaign so far has been "look how less shitty we are than Skype or Teamspeak also check out these dank reddit maymays we force into every sentence!!".
Tox devs take note, that's how you get users.

lol

IRC is just as easy to use. Plenty of servers offer web interfaces with ability to make direct links to your room. Just join the server, type in /join #myautisticchannel and start chatting. No different than Discord.

hamburger menus and large childproof objects are about as pleasing and aesthetic as watching a toddler eat a big mac and then play in the mcplaypen. ignoring that "aesthetic" in pop culture does not exist (it's more of a "looks like X that all my friends like"), every closed source product is a cheesy piece of shit like everything else churned out by capitalist nations (yes, most open source software has the same problem as well, but that's because they're not real open source, they're run by corporations such as Mozialla). I hope you're not seriously implying the only way to make people use open source is to go full Gnome 3.

that wouldn't matter if it was "pleasing and aesthetic", would it? perhaps the autist features would be hidden in some secret autist menu

what does this have to do with anything? they are better whores?

if it was a good product it wouldn't matter (unless everyone's forking the protocol? why is a chat protocol so complicated that it can merit having 1000 different incompatible versions?)

The reason discord succeeded is because by definition something has to succeed, and that will likely be one of the 7 million things that pander to normalfags.

You can't even have an open source web chat. Let's compare something else more reasonable: xmpp vs msn messenger. XMPP: A terrible insecure poorly designed protocol full of shit nobody cares about with shitty clients with terrible UI that all crash or break when you do anything what so ever because there are so many options that the developers couldn't even test them all. Retarded concepts like being [email protected]/* */ and then joining yourserver to talk to [email protected]/* */ which complicate security and provide no real benefit, and more bullshit like the "le nice and modular" way MUC is implemented. Most clients crash when you post an html image to them (wtf? you support HTML?). MSN Messenger: You fucking log in and click on a friend and type in his text box. Decent UI. Want to add a friend? You add "[email protected]/* */", you don't have to worry about some server connectivity and some obscure security model that comes into play when he's on a different domain. You just assume it's insecure because it's proprietary and problem solved. Lesson? Don't make retarded bullshit like XMPP.

I host Mumble (and a backup Teamspeak) on Linux servers and they work great. Mumble has a small, clean interface that can be operated with ease. Teamspeak is kind of ass-backwards at times but it is functional.

Then there's Discord... the fucking interface is ugly and non-functional because it seems they took the worst of Microsoft Office's 2013 "aesthetic" combined with a modern and blocky paint-by-numbers web site, then they figured that wasn't idiotproof enough so they added Lego Duplo blocks to make the most stupidproof, chunky interface I've ever seen. It's an inefficient, hideous monstrosity, and almost definitely afflicted with the NSAids.

This is what retarded faggots actually believe.

Oh no. Lichess admin is also shilling for discord. en.lichess.org/forum/lichess-feedback/lichess-discord-chat-free-for-all-to-join

gif is pure cancer.
it should be dead a lot of years ago because it's grossly inefficient, crap image format.

is it a big deal, from practical standpoint?

so, in the end SJWs do a good job at eradicating proprietary software, aren't they?

The main thing is they provide all the hosting, so there is zero cost to entry. Renting a server for Teamspeak, Mumble or Ventrillo can add up to $100 or more per year. So the mass exodus of gamer groups from those three is no surprise.

Normies will take a free service over one that respects their privacy. This is the software business model of the future. Provide the service for free, get a large user base, and then make the money back later via selling user data, advertisements and optional subscriptions and micro-transactions.

Teamspeak made a ton of money on licenses and hosting, but they didn't adapt to the changing market. If they had provided free hosting a long time ago then Discord would have had a much harder time stealing their user base.

There are a lot of other things they did right. The designers obviously understand the needs and desires of gamer groups. Simple things that cater to Twitch streamers, like limited admin powers, no ability for admins to view IP addresses, no server IPs (so no DDoSing), automatic link previews, embedded images and videos, single account across all servers, etc.

The Teamspeak developers are out of touch with these things. They seemed to be targeting some professional and enterprise markets too, which were mostly already owned by Skype anyway.

Is it really that difficult for you techies to come up with something that is simple and simple to use?

Discord uses Cloudflare. I hope all of the anons leaping to Discord's defense are okay with a parser bug having potentially leaked all of their chat logs.

That's why you post the webm that shows them how fucking spacing works when you quote people so they shut the fuck up about it. I would, but I can't find it.

Above all else the shitty thing about discord is that it is an application in a browser.

IRC will always be better, the protocol is open and anyone can make a client. Won't happen with Skype or Discord.

I only talk about stupid shit on Discord anyway.

Means nothing anymore. Security breaches are the new norm for this decade. Things develop to quickly and change for no good reason that security is nothing more than an after thought with modern computing.

You are absolutely right. BUT a lot of foss devs have made it abundantly clear that's not their goal. If someone can't be bothered to maybe put 2 hours of reading or watching a tutorial on how to make something work that they can then go on to use for multiple years, then fuck them in their asses. You don't want to learn? Then enjoy being cucked and fucked for ad revenue. No one else who learned really cares.

Then there's literally no value to anything else being open source in your worldview since

riot.im/app/#/directory ?

github.com/vector-im/riot-web ?

?

kys

Discord:
It's just a great chat service compared to other 3rd party stuff. And so what? Everything you say online, unless you are hidden under top-level security (protip: not Holla Forums users), is monitored and sold by somebody. Why not go out and rebel for internet freedom instead of complaining about how everything tracks you? Do you REALLY want quality, untracked services anyways? You might be secretive, but so is ISIS, feminist organizations, etc. so if there was a truly indestructible anonymous service, we'd probably get fucked. Think about it. So what that your name ends up in some advertising books? Your name always was in those books since you were born, fam.

Nice paranoia. You already have a ton of data in advertising books and already made companies richer, and the damage is done, so why do you have to act like a literal retard about your "privacy" when it doesn't exist? Do you hate a company that is providing you a service that costs no money out of your pocket that has a small cost: selling data you've already had sold 100 times? Even if your personal conversations feel "special", they're probably not. Why do you care so much that big brother and big brother see "Wow, I wanna suck your dick and buy you FOSS" in a chat? Why does Holla Forums have the psychology of an antisocial teenager? "OMG MOM, DON'T LISTEN IN ON MY CONVERSATIONS!!! >:( THE FACT THAT I'M ASKING A GIRL OUT IS SUPER PRIVATE BUSINESS!"

Tried it. It had an AWFUL interface and sucked the RAM out of my computer. I don't care for "internet freedom" if it comes at such a shitty price. Plus, virtually nobody knew about it. See for additional info.

Cool. Is it hard on RAM and have a crappy interface? If it isn't, I'll get it. I like open-source software simply for the software aspect of it and the more careful communities that use it.

Does it have fair RAM usage and a decent interface? Does it work on Windows?

Well, duh. Paying so much more for a service that doesn't listen in on my "personal" conversations that still get heard by the NSA isn't worth it. Living expenses are enough.

I use the app anyways :^)

4cuck had another exodus I see.

How does it feel to have the huge,throbbing cock of the government planted firmly, but lovingly, in your distal colon?

believe it or not, most people don't give a shit about if the government is looking at their shitty memes and autistic video game debates

Oh well why didn't you say so? That must mean it's ok then.

what do you base your morality on? the bible?

I base it on what google say is moral, doesn't everyone?

Discord users confirmed for furfags.

lol ok faggot

lol, naturally the discord shill avatarfags with furfaggotry

For games specifically there wasn't much to work with before Discord.

-Xfire was a relic from the mid 2000's and was dead years before they pulled the plug
-Steam is incredibly limited when it comes to group organization and chat.
-Skype is a pile of shit and most people who played games used it begrudgingly.
-TeamSpeak requires getting a server, and normalfags will gag at the interface. Still a necessity for ARMA radio mods though.
-Recently a few gamer-centric services like Razer Comms or Curse Voice popped up but I can't think of anyone who would actually fucking use that except that type of guy who streams DayZ to a dozen people every Thursday after his community college Java class.

Then Discord popped up. Like that other guy said, the main pull was setting up the server. You didn't need an account to use it. You gave someone the link and they were in the room, and after a while they go "I might as well download this." The normalfag-proof hamburger interface also helps. Try to get an average person today to use TeamSpeak or Mumble. Yes they are actually very simple to use but people take one look at it and don't want to touch it. Discord also quickly introduced features that were relevant to their audience after they reeled them in. Twitch integration, fucking cancer emojis, chatbots to spam anime pictures. It may not be the best thing for any of you personally but unfortunately it is absolutely what the average person who plays PC games on a regular basis wants.

Although the "lighter than Skype or TeamSpeak" pull is a lie.

You're just fucking embarrassing though

I am still baffled that there are people that would use TeamSpeak or even Skype over something liek Mumble. When someone said "Join our TeamSpeak server" I would instantly know they were IQ89 tier and put them on ignore.

Another pointless thing that will end up replaced by another fad eventually. I'll just keep using IRC, which works fine even on text terminal with a Commodore 64.

The old ways, are the best ways.

I use it for group voice chat. IRC can't do that.

Many people get butthurt when they have to install anything.

Merkst du noch was?

I don't speak nazi

You are, perhaps, the absolute worst shill I have ever seen on an image board in my entire life. If your point was to slander and discredit all furfags you shouldn't have bothered, everyone already hates them.

Are you fucking retarded? Any interface that overrides my fucking settings is shit. Any application that has to wrap itself around a browser is also shit.

Discord uses way more ram than Skype, you dumbfuck. Skype idle worst case is using a mere 175mb. Discord gobbles 350mb on start up. My IRC client is currently using 30mb. Even MSN wasn't as bloated as Discord and it was shit.

i will never understand this obsession with minimal ram usage, like i understand not wanting a program to use a FUCK load like multiple gigs (or even a gig, cause thats a lot for a program unless its something like a physics sim in which case it gets a pass to use as much as it wants) but seriously, who cares about 350mb of ram? i have 8gb in my laptop, and 64 in my desktop, why should i give a single fuck a bout 350mb of ram usage?

future proofing and planning, when i retire this machine im making it a server.

It's a censor-free alternative to Facebook. Facebook will punish you if you post anything sexual that wasn't made by a leftard. Discord won't. The entry barrier is also pretty low (you don't even have to install shit, it runs on your browser).

Because Discord isn't the only thing that takes too much RAM. Today's software is way more often than not written by people with names like Rajalakshmi Srinivasarao who just resort to throwing in more RAM when they can't fix something. This wasted RAM adds up for every program and service that runs on your computer, and that's how you end up with a post-Vista Windows that asks for at least 1 GB of RAM when a semi-lightweight easy mode Linux (such as Xubuntu), written by people with names more like Ian Westlake, doesn't eat more than 300 MB of RAM.

My friends forced me to use it because they didn't want to install Mumble (even though they were used to TS3) nor Ring. However, I was surprised by how not shit it was compared to the alternatives. I'm not saying it's good, but fuck, it's not Skype.
"Most of these things could be achieved with ease in any other program", you might say. And you are right, but no other fucking VoIP program has even attempted to do it. And thing is, all normies know is Skype, so this dog shit is better than diarrhea.

We could make a better VoIP program with ease, but if we ever got past the logo design phase, chances are we would attempt to do it some unusable P2P DHTmemepunk trash instead of a more sound and simple decentralized approach like IM programs have been doing for decades. Discord is simply what normie customers want, and until nobody realizes this, Discord and Skype will still be kings.

Because if you run virtual machines that turns in to tens of gigs pretty quick

when you retire it, it will be a shitbox and 64gb wont be usable for anything worthwhile

I use it for my tabletop RPG sessions. Furthermore, I use a non shit OS and WM so I can alt tab out of fullscreen without any problems.

Really, you are grasping at straws here.

So what you're saying is you can play video games because you run Linux. Just a FYI but you can alt-tab out of games on Windows too without issue, its called full screen borderless

I use my 9 year old netbook as server. Your argument is invalid.

Full screen borderless doesn't count, because it's shit. It slows your game due to Windows having to composite your game into the desktop and render the rest of it.

Keep on larping that it is a server

because GPUs are capable of rending countless numbers of polygons, but are incapable of rendering a couple more for Windows.

And what an entirely retarded argument in a thread about a javascript VOIP app

Then what am I doing wrong that I notice at least 10 less FPS when I run my vidya as a borderless window?

This is why the Linux community can never be big. They don't understand humans.

Using Windows.

I was going to respond to but you explained it better than ever could hope to.

Back in the early 2000s, you could run multiple chat clients and they didn't use retarded amounts of ram. Had friends that only used either ICQ,YIM, MSN, AOL, and IRC? You could run all 5 and still browse the web, fuck you could even a bunch of shit you were working on open at the same time with no penalty whatsoever. Even better, most of them would use the Window decorations supplied by your operating system.

Now? I have some people who use IRC, some who insist on Discord, and others still who insist on Skype. IRC still uses the same memory it used back in 2003 because IRC devs are retards or pajeets, but the other two easily eat half a gig of Ram, if not more. Plus they each run 3 instances each for whatever fucking reason, and they take half a minute to either load, or if I tab back to it, they freeze for 2-3 second before displaying. Oh and are you browsing the web at the same time? Hope you are not running Google "The fatted memory Calf" Chrome, or Leakyfox!

Anyone wants source code of the official desktop client of the (thread subject)?

Check out recent topics in *cock mailing list* then.

Are you fucking high ?
You still have to respect the laws of where you are.
If one of the admins or someone else who buys the data that you FEED it want to fuck you up because you said "I want to kill the president of the united states of america" or because you shared lolicon art or gore then you will be fucked.

Funded by timewarner and other fagots, it's datamines the users of it.
venturebeat.com/2016/01/26/discord-raises-20m-for-voice-comm-app-for-multiplayer-mobile-games/

discordapp.com/tos

discordapp.com/privacy
>We use third party service providers who may use cookies or other technologies to collect information about you and your browsing and other usage activities over time and across different websites. For example, we use Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. (“Google”). Google Analytics uses cookies to help us analyze how users use the Site and enhance your experience when you use the Service. For more information on how Google uses this data, please go to google.com/policies/privacy/partners.

Enormous leak due to Discord using Cloudflare services.
Literally everything got leaked (data, passwords IPs, username etc..) to the public for now it's in the google cache or other cache.
github.com/pirate/sites-using-cloudflare

Learn more about the consequences of datamining;
media.ccc.de/v/33c3-8414-corporate_surveillance_digital_tracking_big_data_privacy

Besides the software itself you forget something that a lot of people people don't seem to know.
ISPs fucking with the bandwidth.
I have seen some of these fuckers literally forcing people to use skype because of their automatic bandwidth allocation privileges system aka= the QOS.

The problem isn't the government looking at those things the problem is corporations buying all of that data from Discord and then using it to market their products using shitty memes and autistic video game debates to you.

How much secure is this ?

for 719088

You have no idea how bad things are.

This
cdn.chiefmartec.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/marketing_technology_landscape_2016_3000px.jpg
Also for watch this:

That is simply untrue, at least on linux.
The linux skype client has always been pretty light. Compared to the abomination that is the discord client (which is literally their web app on electron), which lags to death on my netbook last I tried, it at least works.

Guess how Microsoft is handling their new Skype for Linux client?

I'm not happy with that either, and their old client is starting to suck for a lot of things as well since it seems they like breaking compatibility lately.
It's simply wrong to claim being "lighter" than skype while running on a bloated as shit browser.

You completely misunderstand the problem with normalizing mass surveillance. Look into what Snowden and Thomas Drake had to say and maybe you will start to get a clue.

shills pushed it to pull attention away from Tox

Guess it's time to ditch discord

People will misunderstand this post so hard.

just get people switching to riot.im on the matrix network. It's a client that behaves exactly like discord, but you can use a heap of different clients to connect, you can run your own servers, you can bridge to IRC servers, you can encrypt rooms, etc.

It Riot/Matrix are FAR superior.

Can you open a link and instantly chat with people without any setup or installation?

yes, Riot.im is a web based client, the desktop client is exactly like discord in that it's just a webapp packaged with electron.

you can use native matrix clients though as well if you don't like webapps.

Basically since it's feature-rich and user friendly. I mean you can easily find a discord for every music taste, ideology, gadget and whatever. I mean it's ok, but the use of avatars means you have weeb avatars literally everywhere you go which is kind of gay. But at the same time it's easier to identify cancerous people than it is on say IRC.

Once Discord gets webcam features, if it ever will, it will kill Skype.

Because no one really cares about that.

Really? That actually sounds useful.

Yes, majority of the large rooms are just IRC rooms that are bridged.

For me it's a good way to keep up with friends. Unlike TS, voice channels are free and I'd rather have Discord spying on me than using Skype and letting Microsoft do it instead.

have you considered mumble, tox, ring.cx or matrix/riot?

In Discord and Steam group chats, there always seems to be that one who never says anything in the chatroom nor interacts with anyone in-game. Probably for the exact purpose you've stated.

How exactly is this better than Discord?

How is it different from IRC for that matter? Or e-mail?

That or they're shy as fuck.

You can set up your own matrix server, and unlike discord it will have no connection to some evilcorp for them to datamine.

Riot.im is an in-browser matrix client. Unlike IRC or email, matrix has VOIP built in (this is what made people switch to discord - voice chat!). Riot also includes some tools for programmers similar to slack.

Overall, I will choose a 100% p2p network like Tox or Retroshare over a federated one like matrix any day, but many people prefer the federated network model for some reason and so in order to do damage control might as well get them on matrix instead of discord/slack/NSAnet.

The biggest reason why many people (normies) prefer federated/client-server networks over p2p is because you can connect to them with a browser-based web client. Also, another advantage matrix has over discord is matrix is open source, which discord is NOT. One of the obvious disadvantages of a client-server model is of course that you have to make an account on the server (third party has control over your data), whereas with p2p your profile is local (owned only by YOU).

federated network is also much easier on your battery life typically, in group chats at least. only 1 connection, not twenty or however many you're talking to. I know tox is continually routing info between users to hide it's origin as well. It's a great peice of software it's just gonna be hard to get people to make the switch, people like their accounts and history and server stored data.

It's IRC for retards. Welcome to 2017.

Yes indeed, welcome to the world of bloat. Amount of JS used on discord page is greater than size of source code of the IRC server. Besides what's wrong with IRC? It does what is supposed to do, nothing more, nothing less.

Works fine, no payments, and the NSA spying on us 8-man raiding shitty Roblox and Minecraft servers while screencapping the salt is fine by me.
WEBM #1 (Removed, couldn't post it. Fucking kike Jim)

WEBM #2 (Removed, couldn't post it. Fucking kike Jim)

Word of advice, most mods on discord are grandstanding chickenshits. They don't want to be proven wrong, so they abuse their powers to silence those with dissenting opinions just so they can be on their intellectual ivory towers.

cringe 8teen

le downboat sage

best post ITT

though id say its more like the other gaming bloatware that came before it, rip xfire

It already is full NSA tier, and really if you think this was weird just remember Skype was exactly the same. People moved to it in almost a day.

It's great, actually, a good containment for retards. If we can't keep 'em off the internet, at least we keep them off our communications.

At least we who don't need to waste cycles for doing something that used to be able to be done in a fucking amiga get cheaper hardware.
Sad that you cut bridges, but whatever.
As to why it got so popular, it's easy: NSA shilled it on 4chan and reddit, and from then on it tickled down until everyone used it. They also shilled it on here. They placed their shills on gamer forums because they're weak minded, and then they let word of mouth make it big.

No, they just coopt foss and fill it with their shit. They blur the line between prop. and free.

Because it's immoral, you furry faggot.

Jesus fuck nigga are you serious? 350 MB for just talking to a friend (transmitting kilobytes of data at most, counting discord telemetry) is a fuckhuge amount. Fuck that.

it also helped abort what was becoming a particularly aggressive hipster i-dont-know-what-im-doing-but-im-going-to-do-it-extremely-loudly irc groundswell

Design and marketing, my friend
Discord nailed these two aswell as a good feature set.

Welcome to capitalism and marketing.