Why Ghostbusters is important for an entire generation of girls

With one look at the faces of young female fans getting the chance to meet their heroes at the premiere of Ghostbusters this week, it became clear why this movie matters.

Inundated with fanboy hate a year before hitting theatres (the trailer quickly became the most disliked in YouTube history), the remake was nearly buried in sexist negativity with fears that a female cast would “ruin” the original. Meanwhile, the other side of the argument tended to lump any call backs to nostalgia or questions of why a beloved movie had to be reinvented for a new audience – rather than creating something new entirely – all together with the misogynist complaints of fanboys.

But all of the finger-pointing and petty squabbling simply fades away when you see the impact of the Ghostbusters franchise granting a new generation of young girls the opportunity to see themselves on screen. Even five years ago, these empowering representations didn’t exist, but with the new Reys and Supergirls, women are being depicted as strong, do-it-yourself adventurers who are more than just arm candy for the male superhero.

Superman, the most masculine of heroes, has been gracing the screen since the ‘50s, whereas Wonder Woman will be hitting the big screen for the first time next year as part of a new wave of heroines finally getting their turn in the spotlight. Which means this isn’t just diversity for diversity’s sake, but rather about representing an entire world through new characters benefitting from as large a platform as male heroes have enjoyed for decades.

The new cast of Ghostbusters, which includes Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Melissa McCarthy and Leslie Jones, is a diverse one, in race, shape and age. As the protagonists of an action-comedy, this remake doesn’t present female characters as props to a male hero, but as heroes all their own, wielding their proton packs like bosses — in coveralls, no less.

Asked about the casting decisions, director Paul Feig told Vulture, “I wanted for little girls to be able to see themselves up on the screen. The original one exists, so you can see boys doing it, but how fun for girls to have this experience!”

You'd think they'd have experts for identifying female children in the movie business.

What's Matrix, Tomb Raider, Street Fighter, Power Rangers, Gargoyles, X-Men, Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, Mortal Kombat, Peach in Smash Bros, Resident Evil, Underworld, Parasite Eve, Dino Crisis, Bloodrayne, etc.

Those are totally problematic, cishetscum.

Ah shit, forgot about them. Thanks user.

I thought its weird how much makeup the little girls have on them and how their hair is done. I'd say thats the Mom doing a photo op.

They think they'll get their big break in Hollywood that way, if they whore them up a bit.

Why do they act like there have never been female protagonist driven adventure stories?

How else do you think lefties get anything done? Misinfo is the only reason they have any power. Give them the opportunity and they would probably tell you none of the disney princesses or their original tales existed and that the live action remakes were the first time it was done.

maybe dont take your kids to go see the unoriginal crap in the movies and have them watch a film that came out before their time.

plenty of older movies with highly influential actresses, compared to the talent-less hacks we have now.

Im sorry but your argument is kinda pointless

hahahahha no sequel paul fag, hahahahha enjoy movie jail little queer

as a legit misogynist, I am so happy to see how they doubled and then tripled down on the feminism for the new twat ghostbusters.

if you gave me a hundred years, I could not have made the general population hate women more than that movie managed.

Time to take the homosexuality pill.

I'm kinda conflicted.
On one side I'm proud of being white. On the other, I wish I was a mudslime to punch some teeth out of some bitches

You don't need to be brown to beat women back into natural subservience.

Faggots are far worse than women.

Hmmm. How inspiring.
This is such a pointless thing to say these days that I can only read it as "how dare you not like [thing]??!!" Not an argument.
Literally starts with magic powers, everyone loves her the moment they meet her, doesn't need to train or work hard and beats the baddies at the end. What a great message for girls.
This is such a retarded thing to say, I don't think I need to present all the popular movies and video games that prove this wrong.

Bottom line: be original and make your own awful movies and stop rebooting everything, for fuck's sake.

Bottom line is that women need to unlearn this silly idea they're people. Once we punch that notion out of their empty little heads the screeching will stop.

This is a good idea.

That's the common thread between leftycucks, kikes and Islamists, no wonder all three kinds of subhumans are getting into mass media more and more

Find me the ghostbusters fandom on tumblr. Find me the thousands of pre-teen girls who still gush about this lame movie. Make sure you don't mistake middle-aged women who are still pretending they are teenagers as this alleged generation of girls that "needed" this movie. I'll wait.

When did women give a shit about anything that wasn't about a below average girl being the center of attention of a bunch of alpha hunks?

An astute observation.

Chocolate and money. You did say anything.