Returning customer

It's been a long while since I've been into comics and I'd like to start again, thing is that everything seems pretty different now (black Iron Man??)

Anyways could you point me to the good stuff? These are some of the titles I remember enjoying before:

-Annihilation
-Nova
-Guardians of the Galaxy
-Cable & Deadpool
-Astonishing X-men
-X-Factor (Madrox)
-Green Lantern (From Rebirth to Black Night)
-Nextwave

user..I…

Dont do it, user.

Leave and come back in 10 years. Maybe it'll be worth asking by then.

Not even hyperbole, Marvel would be better of mass printing Garfield books at this point

I'm really only enjoying Gwenpool.

If you want decent stuffs then try DC.
Marvel is done. Sorry user…

Oh, and the new Rom, Spaceknight.

You just want to pick up old issues of old books from back issue boxes. Marvel's current good titles are Gwenpool, … hmmm… I guess Amazing Hulk has his moments?

I picked up every issue of Rom Space Knight in a 40 mile radius of me. I might look into other late 70s/early 80s books, so I can remember when Marvel put out good stuff. I forget if they're killing all the X-Men or bringing them all back, or both… that's what modern Marvel is like now.

Seriously, you're better off swearing off Marvel for a few more years. The mainline books are being torn down by bullshit events/crossovers and/or shitty writing, while other books have trouble getting past 6-12 issues before getting canned.

DC is kinda better, if only because they're blatantly trying to regain good will from fans.

Marvel Cosmic is kinda fucked, Guardians got Bendis'd and are now stuck on Earth for some reason. Richard Rider is dead, Nova is a kid now. Blame Loeb and Bendis.

Deadpool is in a weird place, but Marvel's still whoring him out in several books. He and Spidey are in their own ongoing, and he's leading his own merc outfit (Deadpool and the Mercs For Money), and an Avengers team which happens to have Cable on it (Uncanny Avengers).

The X-line is…also fucked, but because of a weird attempt to get people to give a fuck about the Inhumans by turning them into pseudo-mutants. Yeah.

Aside the very short-lived All New X-Factor (David wrote it), see above. Madrox's supposedly dead, due to said Inhumans push.

Apparently canon now. Rambeau/Spectrum is on the Ultimates after a stint in the MIghty Avengers. Elsa showed up in the now-canceled A-Force. The Captain was in an issue of Nova recently. Aaron Stack is part of Deadpool's Mercs For Money ongoing. Boom-Boom's probably the only one who's been shafted, simply by being a mutant.

Two new Earth Lanterns. Two ongoings (one about Hal and the Corps, the other about the new GLs). Both twice a month. I personally cannot attest to their quality.

Just don't user. The big two are dead. DC barely has any decent stories in their lineup right now. Not enough to warrant buying from them again. Read Darkhorse, some IDW, or even Legendary and Image. Hell just read manga over the big two. Japs do superheroes way better than the big two ever did.

(OP)
Like said, space Marvel is a disgrace now. Just read annihilation and war of kings stuff if you haven't already.

Out of recent Marvel stuff, only new Ghost Rider and Vision were decent, but I am only up to issue #6 on both of them. They also have competent art, which makes them stand out compared to other Marvel books. They are definitely not worth 5.99 a pop, though.

As far as DC goes, Doom Patrol and Cave Carson has a Cybernetic Eye just started and look promising so far, but unfortunately art is kind of lacking.

The only Decent thing coming out of marvel right now is Renew Your Vows, Carnage, Vision and Venom might be good.

We've got a series of ongoing threads for the stuff DC is currently putting out for their big Rebirth relaunch. The most recent one hit the bump limit and a new one will start on Wednesday with the next batch of comics that releases, but you can still read through it at and see if anything jumps out at you as being worth your time. There's also a mega link in the OP with all the back issues, if you want to look at more of what's already come out.

As a general rule, I would recommend pirating first, so you can take a look at any given series before you buy. I like what DC did with Rebirth, but the actual books have been hit-or-miss in terms of writing quality. Meanwhile, Marvel has been getting more misses than hits of late.

The old Marvel stuff is good. The only good new stuff they have are Gwenpool, Daredevil, Carnage and thats it.

Why?

Listen to these replies OP, sadly they are not exaggerating. Comics are in a terrible state right now.

Marvel is beyond saving. They have populated their "talent" pool with feminist bloggers that turn characters into self-inserts, and webcomic tier artists that make 90% of the Marvel catalog look indistinguishable from any given free online webcomic. Every other book is either based on some shock concept like the Cap/Hydra thing or pushes a real world political agenda shit like gender issues, feminism, other SJW bullshit.

DC is a bit better off, but mostly worth avoiding as well, Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps is nice, nice artwork and seems like a return to form. So there is that.

Honestly, ditch the big 2, they have been too compromised by agenda pushing SJW bullshit. Check out some books from Image if you REALLY want to get back into it, they are really putting out some nice stuff lately.

Otherwise I'd say just stay the fuck away, it's gotten really fucking cancerous, SJWs have infiltrated the hobby really hard and it's all about superheros talking about pronouns and feminism now.

I'm certain DC's REBIRTH is a temporary thing. Once they get consumer confidence back, DC will go back to business as usual.

It feels we're at the end of mainstream comics. Both Marvel and DC have shit the bed so hard that I can't see them really recovering from it.

Go to image comics. Marvel is bad. Everything after the incursions events has been shit after shit after shit.

So ensemble casts, a lot of space, bit of humour, lot of good writing.

Yeah there's nothing. I mean the Superman books are nice right now. The actual Superman's back and married to actual Lois and they even have a son called Jon. Betaman and nuLois died and nobody cares. It's more their family dynamic then amazing stories though.

I think Gwenpool is a trap. It's Marvel so they're going to build up a fanbase then give it to Bendis or something. It's going to end in tears I just know it.

Wait Rebirth is only temporary? Its been so good so far that saddens me.

DC rebirth I assume is lasting for a year, they hired Cho to to 24 variant covers for rebirth take that for what you will, but dcr is just a event much like the new 52 where it is a jumping on point for new readers and a excuse to do some house keeping, after however long dcr will go, they will just continue to do it without the rebirth banner. But this user is saying once people like DC again they are going to shit the bed.

That saddens me. I was hoping DC would finally clean up their act.

Have they not? What evidence is there to the contrary?

What I mean is that all this good stuff from Rebirth like Superdad is only temporary and things will go back to shitty DC. That was what the user I was talking to said and it saddened me because I like Superdad and want to see it continue along with all the good stuff that came out of Rebirth.

It will it just wont have the rebirth banner on top of it.

oh ok then. Thats a relief. As long as the good stuff keeps coming I'm okay with it.