Help Make Octave Amazing

The developer of Octave is having trouble to continue maintaining the project.

Looking for Work after 25 Years of Octave:
lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-octave/2017-02/msg00062.html

jweaton.org/?page_id=48

So what do you think anons ?

literally what

GNU+Matlab.

See this is the result that inevitably occurs whenever you have a complex open-source project. When things are difficult, and not necessarily 'sexy' to work on, you find no one contributes, and the only way to motivate people to do anything is to pay them. If I'm going to be paying anyways, I might as well pay for a polished product like Matlab, or in the case of my company, pay out for Mathematica. More often than not, the open source project just isn't as good.

Notice that Excel is still going strong, despite open office existing for over a decade.

He's looking for work, giving is secondary, if someone would find him a contract for him to work on then that would be nice and he wouldn't have to beg like at lot of people nowadays.

He's being polite about it, because begging feels disgusting to most normal people.

Whenever I've tried Octave, its always been super buggy and crashed a lot. I wanted to use it so I wouldn't have to rewrite my matlab files, but ended up just rewriting them in scientific python.

What would you use Octave for these days? Isn't something like Python better?

What would you use Python for these days? Isn't something like Haskell better?

Sorry, but Octave is trash, this Matlab-wannabe has always been crap. And no one uses it in the real world.

SciPy is the present and future of numerical computing.

if you say so

Numerical processing. It's a battle-tested batteries included suite so that engineers who are building bridges, controlling plants, building aircraft etc, can use a software package with high quality, pre-built routines for what they need, all with high levels of quality assurance.

Can you use python? Well clearly it's not so simple, if the guy trying to emulate matlab in python, and calling it 'octave', is struggling to find support for the project.

SciPy is much newer yet has far more users, it's widely used in industry and has been eating Matlab's dominant market share in academia for years. It's so vastly superior the only reason to keep using Matlab is legacy code.

Octave is used by no one. It's a poor clone of a legacy system, and not even of the latest version, but something out of the 1990s. It's incomplete, incompatible, buggy, outdated and slow. Industry adoption: Zero.

Octave is not based in Python in any way. What the actual fuck.

All I want is wolfram alpha linked up to something like Encyclopedia Britannica, using a GPL license.

Calm your autism, I was confusing them with Sage. Point still stands though.

What's your problem with it? Seemed like a decent implementation of matlab syntax to me.

I know Matlab is good for that stuff, partly because they have very polished specialized toolkits (and documentation). But from what I recall those toolkits aren't available for Octave. So all you get is syntax (which was nice 20 years ago but today is pretty meh) and numeric performance (legit but you could probably use Cython or something if you really needed to optimize).

Right, he's emulating because they wanted to be compatible with Matlab code that people already have. If you actually switch languages his issues don't apply.

I also think GNU dropped priority support for Octave recently, their days are numbered.

I really should look into Scipy soon to see how far that has come along, but I'm probably too addicted to Mathematica at the moment.

GNU priority support doesn't count for much. All it does is raise awareness towards specific outcomes that could use some help. It's not like that initiatives promoted by GNU priority support get a flood of contributors simply by being included in the list.

Oh, I see. I assumed they would at least provide some small fundraising for the developers.

It may not be as fast as Matlab but it's damn good as a replacement. Even if it's not in active development, I'd still recommend it for engineering students at the very least.

it's taught in schools (because (((MS))) gives them money for it) and normies can only use what they were taught, because learning something by themselves requires functioning brain.
and the output formats of (((MS Office))) are intentionally made incompatible with standards. (usual and the main tactic of (((MS))), see E,E&E)

How it's better than SciPy/NumPy?

That's all it is capable of. Of being a mediocre platform for undergrad courses. It's useless beyond that.

Octave is rubbish. Good riddance.

rights are worthless if you can't exchange them for other things you find more useful. Oppression is to be prohibited from trading away your rights.

I know people who have to deal with Matlab and would contribute to this if it didn't have such a shit-tier license.

Octave is shit, use Julia.

Look at the timings: julialang.org.

Julia received a bit of hype a couple years ago, but I haven't heard them mentioned too much lately. Do you see them dethroning Scipy anytime soon?

not an arguement

We use octave in our university as a GNU alternative to Matlab.

Octave lanches faster and doesn't require expensive licences like Matlab.
it doesn't require 9 gigas of HDD like matlab (if you install every pack) and I don't think that it is buggy.
Of course you could use python, sage or scilab and probably obtain a better performance but that doesn't make octave trash.
I bet my testicles it ages longer than a lot of the arrogant little shits not having respect for someone's life hardwork in exchange of nothing.

You should be thankful for whoever maintained Octave for so many years and contributing to open source under a GPL.

Well, dunno about others but I really respect the Octave project for what they did. Matlab is some pretty complicated shit and I think they did a very good job at handling that huge challenge. I wish I had money to give so I could support them.

Honestly I think the Matlab/Octave language is becoming superseded by newer technologies, and will likely fall by the wayside after some years. But I hope that the maintainers' accumulated wisdom will transcend the language and enable them to go on to do bigger and better things.

Yeah, this. I don't think they realize how much money Octave has saved people. I know several guys who use it, and that's thousands of dollars in licensing alone.

Even if it takes some editing of script due to Matlab incompatibilities; that's still preferable to paying $2000 fucking dollars.

It's preferable even when Matlab is free. Fucking Matlab cunts can't even get their DRM scheme to work properly with student licenses. I've had to use Octave for engineering assignments because the god damn Matlab piece of trash wouldn't accept the university's student key.

Although I haven't heard of SciPy before (I guess Engineering doesn't use it as much as Science?) and it honestly sounds a lot nicer than either Matlab or Octave. Might give it a go.

Matlab for free

It got me through my matlab class when I was too poor to buy the software.
I would donate bur I'm still poor haha

Free Matlab knockoff that (surprise surprise) performs like an order of magnitude worse than real Matlab.

Matlab and Octave are better for prototyping than Python.

scam