What are some necessary, must read, superman comics?

What are some necessary, must read, superman comics?

I mean the good shit that makes people really like the character

All I've read of him was Red Son and I enjoyed it but I really want to dive into this character more

Superman Peace on Earth is pretty good.
I know Holla Forums hates Mark Waid but I kinda like Superman Birthright.
Also, Kingdom Come is really good. Its not a superman story but he is a main character in it and it deals with the edgy new heroes and the old ones.

I have really really enjoyed the current run of superman, he is actually worth reading about again for the first time in years. Overall it's a really comfy series about him being a father.
Jon is best Superboy

I have a fucking obsession with those stories. I always love them.

Me too I don't know why I like seeing super heroes become dads.

It is truly the times of superdad's RYV is coming out next week

Wait they're continuing Renew Your vows? Awesome!

Yep next week

Nice hope we can storytime it.

dont worry I am

Thanks based user.

Which means it will be coming out alongside the first part of a crossover storyline in Superman involving Superdad, Batdad and their respective sons.

I guess November is going to be superdad month?

Stories about good fathers warm people's heart more than stories about good mothers.

Superman's storyline for the One Year Later relaunch that followed Infinite Crisis was pretty good. It was called Up, Up and Away!, and it basically starts with Clark Kent having spent a year without superpowers and starting to get used to the idea of never getting them back, only for them to gradually return over the course of the story.

Also, this isn't a comics suggestion, but Superman: The Animated Series might be worth your time.

I am going to have a lot of stoytiming to do next month lol

My picks are All Star Superman, Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow?, Kingdom Come, and most of the John Byrne and Jerry Ordway stuff.

that is beautiful user what comic was it from?

I think it's just a pin-up from an annual.

oh ok then.

sorry folks, they jumped on the feminism bandwagon so don't buy, pirate

there is a group of stories called "batman/superman: subtitle" that I really enjoyed that I never see mentioned here that I only know about because I saw "superman batman:absolute power" in which superman and batman are absolute bros with despotic rule over earth, but things happen and they end up saving the world ect.
its not strictly superman, but I really like how he is written there and the series in general so I will shill it whenever relevant.

I recommend John Byrne's 1986 Man of Steel miniseries, which set the basis for Superman after Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen

I really need to story-time some. I've been too busy lately to get to it.

Moore doesn't even make royalties from his DC work

Well..I suggest reading Superman stuff written by Dan Jurgens from the 80's and 90's. I might be wrong..but Dan Jurgens can do no wrong.

There's also The Superman Adventures, the comic based on S:TAS. That's a good read..especially with the stuff that Millar did in that book.

Don't fall into the trap of only reading Elseworld stories, obviously.

And read some of the pre-Crisis stuff, if only to grasp what Superman stories were like at that point and how many of the elements writers take for granted came to be. That and stories like Red Son, All-Star, and WHTTMoT can distort perceptions of what the character actually entails.

You're not wrong.

At Earth's End :^)

Is there anyone else here that thought Red Son wasn't that great?

I liked it a lot until the ending Fuck you Morrison

Now that's some good stuff right there. Hell, the DCAU comics are pretty cool too

I misread the title for that, and ended up downloading "Birthright." I guess it all worked out either way, cause that shit is fantastic.

Gotta read, the new one, and if you do I hope you post in the dc rebirth thread about it because thats the main series everyone is really talking about.

Where can I download these things? I've never tried getting current comics before off of torrent sites and none of my usual hangouts work.

I made a mega and it is up to date by usually, may be 1 week behind, but it has all rebirth books

All Superman is one there right now aswell

Also I recommend Trinity

The Nail is quite good, for being basically a Superman story with no Superman.

What about Another Nail?

Yeah, it actually would have given the story more weight if the second time travelling lead into the actual DC universe.

As in the Superman we all know…is actually Luthor's descendant? That's…pretty silly. Just as silly as Conner being a clone of Superman and Luthor.

More like it being necessary that Superman was once semi-evil.I dunno why, but I like the idea that all that lead into the true Superman. The story just becomes stupid and bleak by making it a stable timeloop.

I haven't read that one yet, but if it's the same team, I have complete confidence.

Kingdom Come for sure.

It's also interesting how Marvel has become a Kingdom Come like universe without the self awareness.

Probably due to a saturation of the latter. If they were more equal in number, perhaps both would be equally enjoyable.

I was just about to suggest that. The first comic from that line, Public Enemies, is especially fun. The banter is a good selling point.