Holla Forums tier VPNs

Didn't see a VPN thread, so made one.

I've been wanting to purchase a VPN for a while. I've looked through the VPN Spreadsheet, but there's a lot of information there, and I want to be satisfied with my purchase.

I have a $50 USD giftcard that I'd like to use, with the hopes that this will totally cover the cost of the VPN for a year.

I am looking for something that does not log, accepts giftcards, is >=50 dollars, and routes through non-pozzed jurisdiction (Switzerland, preferably.)

I am wondering what VPNs Holla Forums uses, and if anyone is willing to recommend one.

Other urls found in this thread:

privateinternetaccess.com/
helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/229705288-Is-Private-Internet-Access-Located-In-A-Fourteen-Eyes-Country-
torproject.org
gnunet.org/concepts
tumblr.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

sage

Why can't the retards from Holla Forums stay in their containment board?

Actually, this is the sole board I browse. Pozzed is a term I heard here.

But here, I'll go ahead a sage myself.

That $50 will get you exactly one year of privateinternetaccess. I don't want to come off as a shill but it has everything I need a VPN for and I haven't encountered any issues with it so far.
privateinternetaccess.com/

Anyone have opinion on real VPN softwares like cjdns, freelan, gvpe, openswan, peervpn, quicktun, strongswan, tinc and vtun?

I've used cjdns for some time and it's pretty nice but I'm kind of tempted to try out strongswan cus it has PQ key exchange options like NEWHOPE.

buy Tor. it's free vpn, they even bundle web browser with it

from 2015, probably not accurate anymore

from 2015 as well, probably there are better ones today

don't use PIA

Explain.

I am aware that they are in a five eyes country, but doesn't their lack of logging make up for that?

helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/229705288-Is-Private-Internet-Access-Located-In-A-Fourteen-Eyes-Country-

nordvpn. Passes all tests, panama based, no logs. Slow as fuck, but also has a VPN>TOR option. They are working on TOR>VPN as well.

There is no Holla Forums-tier VPN, they are inherently unsafe and the NSA finds them laughable. However, most VPNs are adequate for torrenting and normal browsing. Just get PIA or something.

Tip: most services accept giftcards, you just put "N/A" in the name field and so on.

also, if you email the guys running PIA, they'll send you the OpenVPN settings and certs. That way you don't have to bother installing their client, just open it in your network manager.

So from that list, the only good VPNs are Mullvad, NordVPN and PRQ.

VPN's are scams. they log and sell you to NSA for even more money

The only legit vpn is Tor. And it's free. It works by design, not by trust

buy it now torproject.org
only today promotional price of 0$

I very rarely hear about people browsing over a SOCKS proxy to a VPS. Is there any reason why it might be a bad idea?

NordVPN looks pretty legit, especially with a $79 / 2 year plan.

They don't accept giftcards, however. This is doable.

Could you spoonfeed explain this to me a bit more? At least, if you have any specifics - arguments or evidence - to back up the NSA claim. Not that I don't believe you, I'd just like to hear your reasoning.

I'm not planning on doing anything too illegal.

You had me until you said Tor was legit.

Am planning on combining the VPN with tor, but not in any incriminating way.

THIS POST SMELL OFF DEEPSTATE BURGER

AIR IS GOOD TOVARISH FOR MAKING SHEKELS UNDERCOVER

Holla Forums retard detected

What this user says, governments give less trouble finding who download x movie/music (for now)

You are making me angry.
Angry because you don't know shit about tech.
You don't know nothing come and ask for help and then go full "hurrr durrr tor is compromised" compromised I think not otherwise all CP website would have been gone for a while (except honey pots).
Of course security agencies are sniffing the hell out of tor they sniff and filter EVERYTHING they can from the web.

The Gnunet team has covered this for why tor and other darkweb are more secure than vpns and it's fucking simple, YOU CANNOT TRUST THIRD PARTIES and you must not trust them
gnunet.org/concepts

Tor is more secure than any vpn (for browsing) against governmental agencies just don't fucking use javascript and you'll have no problem.

Tor is meant for browsing not file sharing.
Gnunet is for file sharing.

Just rent your own cheap Linux VPS and set it up with OpenVPN. This is usually cheaper and just better overall.

Most VPS companies allow for a lot of bandwidth for very cheap. A lot meaning fine for a months browsing.

Because they're often spying on you? Back when cryptsy was still around I worked on a program to do automated trading on it. One problem was that their CDN (Incapsula) rate limited you, so it became more of a project to develop a way to find HTTP and SOCKS proxies, and meter their performance in real time.

I discovered two things from this project. That proxy performance is wildly variable even over short courses of time. And that it isnt unheard of for them to inject javascript or try to perform SSL MITM attacks. I'm sure there were even more which were logging my traffic.

>>>Holla Forums

If they use OpenVZ they usually block openvpn to some degree.

It sounds to me like you're talking about the sketchy, public SOCKS proxies that you'd find in big long lists out on the web. I wouldn't trust those either. What I meant to ask was about paying the $1-2/month for a cheap VPS from a trusted provider and opening an SSH tunnel to that, using for example "ssh -D 8080 user@vps" to set up a proxy server on the client machine. The browser's proxy settings (or tsocks or whatever) would be set to use the SOCKS proxy at 127.0.0.1:8080, in other words. Unless I'm retarded, I'm not seeing how anybody is going to effectively perform a MITM on an SSH connection, provided the endpoints are running up-to-date software.

t. illiterate 'shit-in-the-street' pajeet

NordVPN is pretty great, or at least it was. Nowadays pretty much all the servers crawl with P2P users, so it's slow as shit.

I just wanted to tell you guys that normienet has been purging VPNs since a few years already.
In 2011 I was able to use my VPN for nearly any website. Lately I noticed that paysafecard does not allow me to use my VPN when making a payment for my sharehosters anymore.
Online Shops and many other services are banning VPNs as well.
4cuck banned most of them a few years ago already.
Websites started the purging of people who use adblockers.
Websites also started changing their website designs to appeal to smarphone normies and also requiring javascript for viewing anything on their site.

I believe in a few years you will be unable to use any website with adblockers, scripts disabled or vpns. Please just let this nightmare end already.

I also need a cheap VPS for my personal torrenting and maybe VPN, Since in Germany they rape you if you get caught torrenting, which VPS do you suggest?

I'm no expert here but I can only share my experience. You did mention your limitations but ig you forgot to mention your needs? Like, what do you need it for?
I use a VPN for unblocking geo-restrictions and occasionally, to protect my transactions.
There are freebies available over the internet too. but you can totally go for paid ones if you like. For ones lesser than $50 and not free, you can check out Ivacy VPN, PureVPN and Nord VPN. HSS has a paid ver too but i'm not sure how much it costs.
About no logs policy, just make sure your VPN isn't registered from US or UK (because of cyber laws demand it) and that your provider has DNS and IP leak protection. A killswitch (which disconnects the internet altogether to make sure you stay anonymous) is an insurance policy. If you're getting that too, then it's great.

leddit has a up to date excel sheet comparing vpns. there is no perfect VPN. i use iVPN

Mullvad

TOR isn't a vpn you fucking mongoloids.

It's a multi-layed proxy, it doesn't have end-end encryption.

wtf i hate tor now

Fags

Any VPN service that uses servers from big data center providers like Choopa, Vultr, etc. will be blocked on a lot of sites. Their entire IP ranges are actively blocked by sites and services that do not want their users using VPNs.

It depends on your use case, but for general browsing and working around blocklists and geoIP restrictions you are usually better off renting a VPS and installing VPN software yourself.

For basic P2P stuff any cheap VPN like PIA is fine.

I use PIA, too. It does what it's supposed to do. They have servers to connect to all over, and you rarely have speed issues unless you connect using, say, the Seattle server when it's 8am PST.

tumblr.com/

Mullvad is pretty good

You get a number generated, no accounts, no e-mails, no passwords just a number.

Can send cash in an envelope with the generated number on a note to fill it up. Other payments available too.