Marvel NOW: Marvel NOWER

BOMBING AROUND AT THE SPEED OF SOUND

Just in case the true extent of Marvel's failure wasn't completely understood, here's some more insight into the world of comic retailers to give you goys some perspective.

Their punishment must be more severe.

Other urls found in this thread:

datafilehost.com/d/89c98dde
datafilehost.com/d/7de11975
datafilehost.com/d/72d310cb
datafilehost.com/d/4cbc26ed
datafilehost.com/d/fb24baa9
datafilehost.com/d/8c0741f9
datafilehost.com/d/9dd3cd01
datafilehost.com/d/7e54c2e0
datafilehost.com/d/b5567f5a
datafilehost.com/d/d4533ceb
bleedingcool.com/2016/11/06/bleeding-cool-bestseller-list-6th-november-2016-little-animosity-towards-batman/
archive.is/A438S
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Any chance you can get us even more insights like this, user? The comic book industry has a distinct lack of transparency to it, and I'm always interested in seeing looks at how well the books are actually selling as a result.

I'll post these as I come across them, user.

The truth is that halfchan gets this kind of news first, but sometimes I'll luck out and snatch a screencap from the wild.

This should be made into a banner.

The hard thing is that the industry relies on sales to shops as opposed to sales to actual customers. There is no data for books sold to customers outside of interpreting the Diamond numbers.

Right now, this news for me as a comic fan is great. We're getting closer to the entire industry going under.

It would be easy with only the top tweet (remember to reduce the font size on Twitter with ctrl+scroll wheel instead of trying to scale down the image), but it's impossible if you want the bottom tweet too.

Max "in small doses" Landis what right when he said something like they are trying to sell a hashtag instead of a story.

There's always making it an animated banner.

Remember when Marvel trying to be edgy in the late 90s when the like of Cliffhanger and Valiant comic Comics appeared? This felt like that but Marvel did it worse.

I miss Marvel Knights.

fucking tadaa

YOU WE'RE TOLD DISNEY WOULD RAPE THIS SHIT INTO THE GROUND AND NEVER BRING IT BACK!== ==RIP YOU EDGY VERSION OF EVERYONE ELSES IDEAS KNOWN AS MARVEL STAR WARS IS NEXT EMPRAH TAKE THE WHEEL

Nicely dub'd

What's interesting about this mentality is that it's not entirely misplaced.. at least, it wasn't about a decade ago.

This kind of mentality stems from the old practice of gathering ratings, which included nielsen boxes, polling sample audiences, and sometimes just checking what people were talking about online before social media really kicked off. In most cases, they take a small number and extrapolate it to millions, simply assuming that if they recorded 100 people watching a show, then that means that 1,000,000 people were really watching it.

In the modern era, thanks to previews, piracy, and social media, people can get their impressions of a comic from a couple panels or pages, or hear about it on some god forsaken site like the Mary Sue, and then go talk about it online.

Some retarded cunt at Marvel shows her boss that there's some tumblr post with like.. 300 notes about how great female super heroes are and how they hate seeing them objectified and not preaching feminist values, and convinces them that such a post means that they are guaranteed to sell 300,000,000 copies of their hot new hero "Whiny feminist nerd adventures"

We should update our banners

poor formatting save

Let it burn.

Wouldn't be the first time

The sad part is that what's good is getting dragged down too. I liked Mosaic #1 for instance (Deadman's one of my favorite DC characters so MU Deadman, even if Shithuman, is right up my alley and I've been a fan of the artist for a long time) but know that it's going to be lucky if it makes it to issue 10. I'm sure there are other books that are going to be coming out and will be nice but Marvel's done such a great job at burning bridges with their fans and telling them what they're supposed to like that anything that's good is going to get killed too thanks to shit like Hellcat and whatever slop Bendis puts out collapsing the entire thing.

Who gives a shit? Why are you even giving these monsters a few dollars at all and helping prop up the other garbage as a result? Things aren't going to get better until the rats flea the sinking ship.

HOW CAN MARVEL EVEN COMPETE?

With no survivors

Holy fuck.

datafilehost.com/d/7de11975
datafilehost.com/d/72d310cb
datafilehost.com/d/4cbc26ed
datafilehost.com/d/fb24baa9
datafilehost.com/d/8c0741f9
datafilehost.com/d/7e54c2e0
datafilehost.com/d/b5567f5a
datafilehost.com/d/d4533ceb

What's Solo? I keep seeing it mentioned, is it just a really, really unpopular book?

I assume its a book on Han Solo.

nope

Wait…Dan Didio? Being right? Anyone living in the Michigan area? Because I wanted to know if Hell has frozen over.

Is it that Punisher-clone in the green tights who used to show up in Spider-Man?

This guy? Maybe… I can't imagine this character still being around though, he just oozes 90s.

Funny. Solo started out as one of many characters that used a popular character's comic as a launch pad, with little to no success. Years later, he's reintroduced alongside other obscure anti-heroes in a Deadpool team book, which is then used as a launch pad to give three of them their own "ongoings''.

I know he said at retailer day at Diamond UK that his favorite DC title at the moment is The Flintstones, and that DC is only putting out 3 new titles in 2017 because they don't want to flood the market and cause their customers to get burnt out on their books or dilute their brand.

I think higher-ups at Warner may have forced him and Lee to attend some sort of business management/marketing classes or something like that. That's just idle speculation, though.

The thought of a summer course at a community college saving DC really puts a smile on my face.

it isn't even that. DC has just realized the importance of not forcing diversity for the sake of diversity. They aren't running around turning characters "diverse" or gay, they make new characters for that… and even then that isn't the focus like so many Marvel characters. They are still a little fucked from the whole progressive push, but they are doing a lot better. I just hope they kill black Wally off for good at some point. That character is complete garbage and muddles the water with confusion.

If they retconned his name to something else, it wouldn't be as bad, but as it stands, it makes the comic confusing at times.

yeah, and it isn't going to help that the show is now pushing black Wally.

yeah but in the show black Wally seems like a decent enough person. Doesn't have much SJW stuff going on.

He's still not Wally, and Wally West fans like myself will never see him realized in live action now…. of course, I suppose neither did Barry Allen fans.

I don't see why they thought replacing Tony was even an option. People don't even read Iron Man for the suit anymore (not that he even wore it in those boring as shit final issues Bendis wrote), they just like Tony. Even if Bendis magically makes Riri GREAT, she won't appeal to the crowd that cares about Tony Stark. Riri feels forced and sudden even by modern Marvel standards.

Whose fault is it? SJW's or shippers?

Their TV shows don't count. Their TV division is as bad as Marvel's comic division.

Neither cared enough for this show I think. They just tried to get the SJWs and shippers on their side by doing something crazy.

They could pretty easily and quietly make the Black one "Walter" while the original continues being "Wallace". At the very least it would allow people to separate the two without having to say "Black" or "New 52"

Don't think so. I don't remember the Flash turning into "Jane Foster's Powerthieving Adventure" or "The Torporific Hellcat." Hyperbole won't get your anywhere here.

Iris West was racebent.

But user, how would you explain ARROW? I'm sorry, I meant "The Felicity Power Hour (feat. Oliver Queen)"

I thought they were the same thing

They can have overlaps but they are 2 different groups. I think shippers came before the SJW's.

The best part would be if it wasn't what they studied in class that saved them from crashing their ship; but instead just observatinh young people entering post-secondary for the first time making them realize that the college age "social activist" crowd is a fringe band that needs to shout through twelve microphones at once each to look as numerous as they are on Twitter.

Huh. If DC does do this they're smarter than I thought.

Has there been more "retailers shit on Marvel" tweets? Is this a monthly thing, or do they do it every Wednesday?

Haven't bothered with Solo or Slapstick but Foolkiller was surprisingly good. The same writer also did Worst X-Man Ever which I also liked so my hope is that even though Foolkiller will obviously get six issues that it's quality enough for Bemis to get a shot on another, higher profile book. If people like KSD and Leth can keep getting chances, a writer who seems to possess actual talent definitely should.

Speaking of people Marvel needs to hire more there's Marc Sumerak.

Everything I've read by him was fun and there are bits like these that only someone who loves the properties they are working on would do.

Is that supposed to be Peter Parker as a kid.

There's new Slapstick? Is it any good? I like that little jerk. Anyone who tries to put out Ghost Rider's head with a bucket of water deserves some recognition.

Looks like Ultimate Peter Parker.

Yeah, but what's the story behind it?

Spidey gets dumped in some goop that makes him younger while fighting the Vulture. He gets better.

oh ok then. Sounds kind of fun.

A cuck among cucks indeed. He sure is a yes-man to Marvel. Begging for anal, no less.

HORY SHIT

bleedingcool.com/2016/11/06/bleeding-cool-bestseller-list-6th-november-2016-little-animosity-towards-batman/
archive.is/A438S

So, BleedingCool does this thing where they compile sales numbers from actual comic book stores in order to provide a more accurate look at what's selling and what isn't. The top 10 list for last week:

1. Batman #10
2. Superman #10
3. Justice League #8
4. Avengers #1
5. Unworthy Thor #1
6. The Walking Dead #160
7. Green Lanterns #10
8. Nightwing #8
9. Green Arrow #10
10. Animosity #3

The article I linked to above is also worth looking through because it contains commentary from individual store owners, with lots of little insights such as:

Unworthy Thor already came out? Is it written by Aaron?

Yep. Written by Aaron. Shit. But I did skim to the end. Beta Ray Bill is a true bro.

It is. Issue #1 involves Thor fighting some trolls on the moon, they get away, then some new super-ultra-double-secret Watcher replacement tells Thor that the hammer from the Ultimate Marvel universe went to the 616 universe in search of a new wielder.

Thor went off to the old lands where Asgard used to rest, guessing that the hammer would go there first in search of someone worthy enough to wield it, and when he arrived, he found the entire realm missing.

Then Beta Ray Bill showed up, informed Thor that the hammer was once there, and told him that it and the entire realm had been stolen, but that he knew which direction to take to follow after the thief. And then the issue ends with Bill, bro-est of bros, offering up his own hammer for Thor to use on this new adventure.

Based on solicits for upcoming issues, Old Asgard was taken by the Collector, who decided to just collect the entire realm that the hammer was resting in was the most convenient way of collecting the hammer itself. And the rest of the series is about Thor and Bill going on a quest for the hammer.

I know that already. The new Watcher type guy is Nick Fury. At the end of Original Sin he became that thing.

It is. Just make sure you get
not
One is fun times with Peter's long and confusing history, the other is a PSA on child molestation that suggests Uncle Ben molested Peter.

What

One of the only good things SF Debris ever really did was cover the fall of comic books.

Saddest part is that Marvel was right, they did have the potential to be Disney like. But oh man did they fuck it up. And it had to have been intentional sabotage.

Wasn't Uncle Ben but a teenager that looks exactly like him.

I need to check if this actually exists, there's already the Peter Cuck parker and Micropenis Parker sub niches.

While seeing Marvel shoot itself in the foot, I still feel awful for brick and mortar shop owners.

i miss pouches

anyone who didn't get out of the comics shop business five years ago is a moron.
the ones that are still open keep the lights on selling $100 statues and anime shit, nobody is paying the bills just off comics

Sounds better than whathever Fem Thor is up to.

user… it's written by the same cuck that made Whor. Don't bother.

Did we ever figure out what Fury said to Thor to make him unworthy?

Nick-"We need to get a market ready for Young Girls before we need to replace the current movie stars."

Young girls like brawny muscle hunks. Not cancer patients that talk about feminism and fight the patriarchy.

So the answer is "No," we didn't.

It's better not knowing. The answer will just be dumb and disappointing. Most likely making no sense either.

When is the last time Marvel didn't double down on disappointment?

Very long ago. I doubt anyone knows.

They don't exactly shit on Marvel so much as get irritated whenever a line isn't selling well. The same Tweeter in was concerned about how drastically low DC's sales were last year.

Oh God I remember that one. Thats where Nick Fury becomes the new Watcher after Uatu kills himself. Does Nick Fury still do his Watcher thing in the new universe after Secret Wars?

Shut up man. It's better than Whor. Don't be too much of a protestfag and just separate the work from the creator. Why can't people do that?

You're an idiot.

Ahem:

Polite sage because read the fucking thread.

Because that's a dumb and unnatural way to look at fiction

Because you're supposed to do that after a work is already out when you want to evaluate a work on its own merits, without being affected by any baggage that might or might not be attached to the author.

When speculating on works before they come out, or on future installments of an ongoing mini-series, though? You don't have a complete work to examine, so the work literally cannot stand on its own merits. All you have are the author's past works to give you some idea of the level of quality and style of writing you can expect.

In this case, Aaron has a very definite history of shitting all over previous works and prior characterizations that people liked in failed attempts to glorify whatever it is he wants to push at the moment, so, for example, in The Unworthy Thor, people are giving 60/40 odds in favor of him somehow ruining Beta Ray Bill.

Cause a lot of people really only want to judge works by how much they like the politics of attitude of the creator. So I tend to ignore posters like that, because they're just as hypocritical as the cucks at the Mary Sue or wherever, judging works simply by how much they like or dislike the creator (which is why sites like that constantly target Frank Cho and J. Scott Campbell if they have any option to do so). I hope it is good, though there is reason to be wary of a writer who burned you before.

Not like you gotta rush out and buy it… or ever pay for it. You CAN wait until it's done to judge it. Sounds like user is at least saying "it isn't fucked up yet".

True, and I can understand that point of view. That said, I can also understand the other user's point of view, which is that Aaron has a very definite track record on this sort of thing.

I suppose the argument can really be boiled down to pessimism vs optimism, when you get down to it.

The way you talk about comics like that reminds me of the way I view new movies that come out.

As much as I love bitching (I fucking love threads like the lego batman one, don't get me wrong I'm not a no fun allowed faggot) I do have a question:

You have been tasked to fix Marvel, What do?

These pics are only for those who answer the question

Copy DC and do a Rebirth type thing (but call it something different).

Fire the triggered SJWs and the virtue-signalling cucks and basically raid the top 1% from webcomics, Deviantart, and fanfic.

It's not the ideal solution, but I think it's the only workable one at this point, failing just conscripting the indentured bond-slaves from Disney's talent pool.

Professionals won't work for what Marvel pays, but the fans will do it for peanuts until they realise they could make more now they have reps.

Complete reboot without Ultimates edge, Rebirth's retcons, and absolutely no more diversity heroes replacing star characters. Characters age and die permanently. X-men are in their own universe. Inhumans can stay. Hire actual writers and artists with potential talent. Make up new characters. Use less utilized characters instead of just forgetting them completely.

No, no characters die permanently rule. That's what killed the ultimate universe to begin with. You only need one bad/asshole writer to nuke a whole shit ton of characters and leave the universe unworkable or in need of ANOTHER reboot.

Fuck you're right. But if I'm in charge then any character deaths will have to go through me first.

Fucking Loeb had a breakdown and wiped out half of the Ultimate universe with Ultimatum. Even Mark Millar was put off by the edgy, grimdark bullshit that came about. Mark Millar!

Was that immediately after his son died?

That would help but I still would not have a set in stone rule like that as it takes away a possible set of tools from a writer. That said both killing characters and bringing dead ones back both need to be used far more sparingly.

That is the primary example I was going for, Mangaverse as well, maybe to a slightly lesser extant.

I don't think it was right after but i'm sure the wound was still fresh so to speak.

A back-to-basics relaunch that essentially cuts out all the low-selling filler (so long Hellcat, USG, Moon Girl, etc…). Resurrect the Marvel Knights imprint and use it to throw the anti-canon/diversity fags the occasional bone every now and then. Restrict newcomer talent to minis, one-shots and the digital shit to gauge their abilities and interest; reward breakout successes accordingly. Do away with the "seasonal" bullshit entirely. Get senior writers/editors off their high-horses [Bendis/Slott].

These aren't solutions, they're the seeds to another repetitive clusterfuck.

The only real issue is permanent death. Everything else is easy to handle.

wat

wat

wat

no