Share space facts

mfw the closest galaxy to ours is roughly 2.537 million light years away.

My brain can't comprehend the size of space, nor the fact that it's still expanding. WTF.

This may be elementary school shit to some of you, but I've only recently started to learn about space and how fucking cool it is.

I'll be dead before we reach the stars. fuck.

Other urls found in this thread:

htwins.net/scale2/lang.html
canyouactually.com/nasa-actually-recorded-sound-in-space-and-its-absolutely-chilling/
youtube.com/watch?v=T0rDBncLS6k
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_diving
youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIVaZXDhho
trappist.one/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRAPPIST-1
psd-dude.com/tutorials/resources/20-space-photoshop-tutorials.aspx
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Space_Station#International_co-operation
youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk
youtube.com/watch?v=ilnnMzK_m8w
youtube.com/watch?v=iYYRH4apXDo
youtube.com/watch?v=52Gg9CqhbP8
youtube.com/watch?v=lCHM1do5Vqw
youtube.com/watch?v=WZB7yswo6a0
youtube.com/watch?v=l9XCpcm_7vw
youtube.com/watch?v=W8V0r_sK2fw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

innit it's peak OP. Guess we better get used to Earth and the solar system.

The concept of a hyperdrive doesn't phase me as much as how sci-fi guys explain how a shuttle craft can reach escape velocity without any kind of boosters. Is it some kind of catapult, a space elevator, some kind of space-mortar?

inb4 christcucks and flatfags

This post gave me a feel.

What will be left of humanity in a billion years time?

space is relative anyway

I read it
Share space farts

it's covfefe

you are mostly space

most likely nothing. sorry :^(

you are all simulations.

nope. i got administrative privileges.

I literally typed that response into your simulated mind and compelled you to post it.

nice try botfag.

Don't worry, it's retarded how fuckhuge space is. Even the extent of our own solar system is massive if you think about it.
If we're lucky we get to explore our own Milky Way some day.

Honestly with space being this gigantic and old it's inevitable that life more advanced than us exists. They could even be soaring the stars themselves. However because of the size of space it's highly likely none will ever find us.

The galaxy MACS0647-JD is only a fraction of the size of our own Milky Way. The galaxy is about 13.3 billion light-years from Earth, the farthest galaxy yet known, and formed 420 million years after the Big Bang.

Space is, like, really big.

I feel you. I always had my head in the skies, wanting for some out-of-this-world action, space ships and what not, something new to explore.

It´s a shame that I won't see this kind of space exploration myself. Too young for space exploration, too late for earth exploration.

This is my spleen.

Juicy spleen with a nice white sauce

Said the npc.

Not an argument.

Not a neurotypical.

OP if you think that's crazy look up the VY Canis Majoris.

second picture is the VY Canis Majoris compared to OUR Sun.
third picture is OUR sun (NOT the VY Canis Majoris) to our Earth.

fucking crazy right?
now to blow your mind a second time.
Imagine the VY Canis Majoris eventual explosion into a blackhole.

that'll be a fuck huge amount of energy and destruction, like fucking godly amount of power spewing out.
I can't even comprehend the power it'll unleash to any unlucky sods that are near it.
and by near I mean just a few hundred or even thousands light years in it's vicinity.

You are an insignificant bag of goo in a wet rock millions of times more massive than yourself.
This rock is tiny in comparison to many gas clouds we have which share the same fusion reactor as the center of our orbit.
This nuclear reactor is, in itself, millions of times as large as the largest of these gas clouds.
However, this reactor is relatively dim compared to the billions of other reactors floating around in the remote part of our own galaxy we find ourselves in.
This galaxy is probably just about average sized in comparison with the infinitely numerous other galaxies in the universe.
Beyond about 13.8 billion light years away from us, these galaxies are expanding further away from us at a rate faster than the light from them reaches us, meaning we will never see the light from them hit our galaxy.

And beyond all of this, God is watching us in particular. He's standing there, telling us not to masturbate.
I remember seeing a gif that basically made this in visual form. Does anybody have that on them?

If the guy who made everything you described told you not to masturbate, reason dictates you not masturbate.

yep, crazy.

Hahaha, hey nigger did you get that pic from the latest retarded TIME article thread about going to the Sun? Still the dumbest fucking thing I've ever read, I'm telling yah.

htwins.net/scale2/lang.html

canyouactually.com/nasa-actually-recorded-sound-in-space-and-its-absolutely-chilling/

Apart from just making 10 hour loops of sounds like these to create some kind of Space Ambience Mix that a few thousand users would listen to a hundred times. This is the stuff that should be made into music. Subliminal audio, emotional brainwaves and shit.

It's really mindblowing innit? You should watch the Cosmos series with Carl Sagan; he really breaks down the size of the universe to where you can wrap your brain around it.

There are about 100 billion stars in our galaxy, the Milky Way.

There are about 100 billion galaxies in the universe.

The universe is theoretically infinite.
As in, there are theoretically infinite galaxies.

youtube.com/watch?v=T0rDBncLS6k

Tried to wrap my brain around his book by the same name. Got more than half way through in a day or two and gave up. After reading Hawking's A Brief History, your brain can only take so much within a certain time frame at my age.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_diving
youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIVaZXDhho

Comparison video

11k years to orbit going 900kph.

trappist.one/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRAPPIST-1

Terraform - (especially in science fiction) transform (a planet) so as to resemble the earth, especially so that it can support human life

psd-dude.com/tutorials/resources/20-space-photoshop-tutorials.aspx

Fucking WHEN? I like to imagine that space simulation technology could better prepare the able population to move planets if, and when, that time comes. But to create fictional universes and maybe adapt this latest Artificial Touch Sensing tech to some kind of body suit? We could use statically charged fabrics or some kind of water detection tank to put someone in a small containment that allows them to travel scaled versions of fictitious universe, or our own.

100 billion is not infinite, it is most definitely finite, at least according to our current understanding of it.

There are, however, an infinite number of universes.

Chicken

Maybe some kind of Hodor relationship with easily built robots that can be controlled on another planet using the same bio-mechanical human body motion. It would have to be charged though or something, including maintenance, so just add another robot. I bet we're already doing something like that tbh. Satellite control and shit. I don't see why it's not possible if we've sent satellites to Mars and beyond, and men to the Moon.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Space_Station#International_co-operation
Expedition 52 in bound this month.

By the way, I hope you guys enjoyed Towel Day.

No, the universe IS infinite as far as we know.
We don't know if other universes exist at all. Multiverse is not generally accepted. Physicists tend to prefer the Copenhagen interpretation as it requires fewer assumptions.

Are you talking about the observable universe, maybe? That is finite. 13.8 billion light years radius with us at the center.

Space expanding baffles me. Is there an empty area with nothing in, no matter etc which space expands into and floods with matter

Or does space expansion mean it's creating more space out of nothing. something out of nothing

I'm pretty sure the consensus is "we don't fucking know."
That's all up to speculation.

5 h 42m 21.0s 22° 36′ 45.7″
Nibiru (Planet X)

I haven't checked to see if these coordinates are right or not. But I remember first learning about this planet and checking it out on Google Earth, only to find it cropped out.

I bet some past astronauts and rocket scientists have written some pretty awesome books. I hope pic related is somewhat relevant for user's tastes.
And apparently Mars has glaciers.

*shrugs* all I know is that matter takes up space, and there are 12 known particles of matter. Then there's dark matter, antimatter, matter, dark energy, and so on.

Future medicine might expand all our lifespans for god knows how long. Also, humanity might get really fucking lucky and make a fucking massive scientific/technological breakthrough and we'll be going to the closest solar systems to create colonies.

Who knows?

13*
we have discovered 13 particles of matter, these include all antimatter we know of.

wait, im stupid.
17*

oh shit nigga forreals?

No, that image is photoshop. Ya got trolled.

The universe is not infinite, but a sphere with something outside. It isn't expanding and the planets are not moving away from each other, but all matter within the universe is shrinking relative to its size.

Proof me wrong faggots.
protip you can't

Curved spacetime was actually a hypothesis for a while. If that's the case it would be finite and if you traveled far enough in one direction you would eventually reach the same point. We took some measurements of the cosmic microwave background and found that it's flat (and therefore infinite) within the margin of error for the devices we used. If there is curvature, it's negative (as opposed to positive which would imply spacetime is a sphere). A negative curvature implies it's hyperbolic which is still somehow finite iirc.

So the elementary particles themselves are shrinking?

How small is it going to get?

It really blows my mind that were seeing the past light of stars since light takes time to travel even in such great distances we see stars at night

Every time you masturbate, you're cumming on God's eyes. That's just disrespectful.

I fucking love that gif

You can get most of the way up just with fucking balloons.

youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk
youtube.com/watch?v=ilnnMzK_m8w
youtube.com/watch?v=iYYRH4apXDo
youtube.com/watch?v=52Gg9CqhbP8
youtube.com/watch?v=lCHM1do5Vqw
youtube.com/watch?v=WZB7yswo6a0
youtube.com/watch?v=l9XCpcm_7vw
youtube.com/watch?v=W8V0r_sK2fw

vacuum is space that doesn't have matter, so it has particular properties (like negative pressure on any matter). Since it doesn't have matter, electromagnetic waves pass through it. If you really want to try to understand everything, all of matter and everything else is basically wave functions that have neat effects that stack and because of the r-squared laws we get the universe as we know it.

Electromagnetism and gravity are basically everything.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum

It's easiest to imagine as vacuum being the infinitely stretchable sheet of paper, and matter is the writing, more or less. "nothing" is the fabric of the universe

Good bread. Would eat again.

no. the universe APPEARS to be expanding, not is.

t. astrofag