How big of a solar panel system would one need to be able to run average computer for 8 hours/day?

How big of a solar panel system would one need to be able to run average computer for 8 hours/day?

Other urls found in this thread:

enhancedonlinenews.com/portal/site/eon/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20130916005866&newsLang=en&permalinkExtra=SheerWind-Develops-World’s-25MW-Wind-Tower
sheerwind.com/technology/field-data
sheerwind.com/customers/global-customer-map/4-the-army-national-guard-in-michigan/the-army-national-guard-in-michigan-2
lmgtfy.com/?q=how many solar panels are needed to run a computer
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

that's so funny I can't stop laughing I can't breath

About…

….. this big.

if that's true then they really improved

depends how close to the equator you are

look at the flag faggot

you care enough to reply :^)

yeah, because it's fun to jerk you around

oh, feel free to proceed then~

Not too big problem is night and clouds. If jews will invent new way how to store electric energy then it would be viable and very cheap.

how many watts is not too big

A 5kW system will be fine for summer, you might want a 10kW system for winter.
Source: I installed this shit for 3 years.

In Czechia in winter you'd need a panel array the size of a football field. And it'd need to be in Africa.

you serious? 10 kW system to run one computer third of the day? thats insane, if this is the case then solar panels could never be proffitable

Depends where you are, we get a lot of sun here and over the 20 year lifespan of the panels they produce about double their cost in power.
If you want to sell power for profit wind is the best option assuming you get enough there.

too bad they locked UP the telsa tech.

what?

it would be much cheaper to just run a small diesel generator instead of getting 10kW system

I've heard there's some sort of grid that you can connect to and get power from a power plant. might wanna look into that.

Yes user, magic is real but the NSA silences all the wizards before they can tell the world.
You know the military applications for high energy density storage? They wouldn't just make it go away, it would be found on the battlefield daily.

Depending on local fuel prices… yes, especially if you get one that runs on natural gas.
I actually left the solar job to install natural gas / diesel power plants in remote areas

I tried using a generator but it backfired into autotragic rejection and threw the belt into overdrive slamming the drive gear into the undercarriage.

not where I got my cabin fam

so is solar just a fad?

we can collet smug anime girls to generate power from the smugness

a reasonable solution would be to switch to a laptop and use solar energy to recharge the batteries. have two sets at least and profit from the power available when the computer isn't in use. that said, the easiest solution is to use your phone as a computer. you can charge that with a tiny panel and 2nd pic as a backup for stormy days.

solar isn't just a fad, computers use a lot of energy, a desktop anyway. Currently future tech is focusing on reducing energy rather than making faster better hardware. If you wanted you could easily power a raspberry pi indefinitely with a small solar panel but it wont run your current gen games.

oops

what about changing the PSU from a mains rated one to one that would work better with the low solar voltage DC stuff?

Solar is ok in some places but even there it's not that good. It's best for charging a car battery while camping if you have the money and don't want to have to run the engine a couple of hours a day.

Off grid options in order of ease and practicality are generator, water, wind (depending), solar (depending). Some places will be better on solar than wind but not many. Water is the best "free" energy but you still need a battery pack.

Id throw my drive gear in to your mums undercarriage if you get what I mean.

rip

It depends on your computer. They generally range somewhere between 500 and 750W.

yea, but you almost never have your PSU running at full power

And a solar panel is almost never going to be pumping out its max rated output.

sill doesnt mean youd need 10kW setup like the aussie bloke said

But you will still probly need the 500-750W setup at the very least.

why dont we just put solar panels on the sun?

One average sized panel.

/thread

That's just silly. Do you realize how big the ladder would need to be to install those things way the hell up there?

Dyson sphere master race!

so under 2k for solar set up 1k for gaming PC and you are set to play in the middle of nowhere.

Just build one of these.

You can't guarentee sun shine. But if you've got a steady wind and a decent battery setup, you've got lots mostly stable/steady power 24/7/365.

It pays for itself in seven months.

that sure looks cheap lol, if it pays for itself in 7 months then how come you dont see them being built all over the place

It's basically reinventing and turning a wind mill upside down and inside out. Brings the winds where you need it, rather than the horribly ineffective truck engine fixed with blades on a large stick design. Way lower TCO and 1/1000 the cost of the towers with better safety and higher energy output since the design is built to channel wind energy to a concentrated focus.

Because the physicist that invented the product is a terrible marketer and a shitty business man. Sometimes brilliant ideas have really dumb business men that believe they have to wear all the hats. This is one of those energy production things that people miss because a PhD in physics is a terrible sales/marketting person.

ofc they have to claim its cheaper, otherwise nobody would fund it. it also looks bulky and ungly, takes and renders a piece of land beside it unusable

When I found out about this thing it was on a hypermiling board where people hack their cars to do ridiculous mileage. Not once did I see this thing pop up as a note of interest in the technology groups. It just was introduced to the market and not ever mentioned.

so whats the cost of one that can run your household?

If you have power you can produce more food and greater variety of food independent of the local growing conditions in a greenhouse. That's just a point of fact.

A proper sized green house setup will out perform 100 acres. Check out what these people do in a dessert with 1/10th of an acre. The only reason that can happen is having abundant energy. The 100 energy calories translates into roughly 1 calorie of food energy to manage the water pumps and environmental conditions.

That model they are running would power 50 homes with current CAS measurement of a 1400 sq ft house.

if it sounds too good to be true, its most likely bullshit

Basically if you community funded and scaled a bunch of these running with proper management, your village would not be dependent on the grid in anyway. This type of thing though can't be done under current Canadian laws since there is a monopoly on power production. It would have to all be developed independent of the current system.

Total cost for that unit was around 650k USD at the time for the prototype R&D plus machining and process to make parts. I have no clue on total costs for the retail variety. Just recall the information while looking at the company investor prospectus when I found out about them.

so its not at all viable since you can not have one sized just for one household

Nope. There are private setups of them located in texas, florida and colorado to power offgrid communities. Customers are very happy with their stuff.

For food production, the reason the human population exploded in the latter half of the twentieth century was cheap energy in the form of oil to plough massive expanses of land and transport things everywhere. Greenhouse methods are much cheaper and with a professional farmer with an education in agriculture running one.

And no, it's going to produce a shit tonne of power. It's an industrial device, not an individual household thing.

You could run a small data center with one in addition to your gaming rigs.

so what is the power output of this thing ? it's dimensions ?

I will look for info myself.

It's 2 cents per mega watt. It is a lot of power. Again. Build a couple and space them out. Each one when installed with battery banks can power a village and a green house. After that gotta make sure you aren't overpopulating or inbreeding yourselves to death.

this thread…

For that last part to avoid turning into six fingered retarded hapsburg mutants, you're going to have mix it up, to fix it up. Even if using a turkey baster if need be. But the way things are going…it's not looking good. Lots of pistols that shoot blanks and broken eggs, throw in the idea people are picky about fucking different looking people.

Two more generations and they'll be picking seedless fruit from a family stick.

source?

these infographics sure do not look like something that would make you decide to do a half a million investment

enhancedonlinenews.com/portal/site/eon/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20130916005866&newsLang=en&permalinkExtra=SheerWind-Develops-World’s-25MW-Wind-Tower

MINNEAPOLIS–(EON: Enhanced Online News)–SheerWind, Inc., innovator in high-performance, cost-efficient wind energy, has created the next generation of mega wind– producing technology—without the mega size. The company’s patented INVELOX system offers power capacity of 25 megawatts, four times the output of the largest offshore wind turbines and six times the capacity of the largest onshore towers. With a 12 m/s free stream wind rating, a single INVELOX tower can power nearly 25,000 U.S. homes at a fraction of the size and cost of traditional wind turbines.

Yeah, like I said. Terrible businessman. Very smart engineer. The two skills are not necessarily synonymous with each other.

sheerwind.com/technology/field-data

how can this thing power multiple houses ?

in the Sahara desert, solar panels work really really well ,,,,,,, but on a cloudy day, a solar panel's output will drop to only like 5% of what it puts out on a clear day
so if you get clouds at all, you have to expect that a lot of days the panels won't put out nearly their max ratings

and if you wanted storage batteries to run your shit at night too? then multiply that price by about 2X more…

solar power (photovoltaic power, that is) is a wonderful idea – quiet, clean, no moving parts – but in most parts of the world, it's still very expensive compared to utility power

You know there's a reason people say that climate change is a jewish trick despite being conditioned in school to believe it's real.

Depends on the size of the generator you attach to it. The tunnel itself doesn't generate the power, it's the generator stations you attach to the wind turbines.

See in the diagram? before step 3 is what is getting replaced. The turbine is what generates power. The transformer delivers that power along the existing grid…or newly installed, doesn't really matter.

The scale it produces power would require a transformer station and the turbines would have to be part of the tower footprint as well.

what prevents me to /diy/ing this shit for fraction of the cost?
sheerwind.com/customers/global-customer-map/4-the-army-national-guard-in-michigan/the-army-national-guard-in-michigan-2

my ass

oops, wrong pic

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIICOLA

Nothing. There are no laws against reverse engineering for personal research. The issue is when you start selling other people's ideas without having a partnership/agreement of some kind.

Looking at it. Could probably get the frame setup in a weekend and instead of steel use sailcloth. Like I said, it's an inside out and upside down 'sail'. With wood and sailcloth it would be pretty solid, would probably need to still have some type of heavy duct work to create the tunnel effect.

But, yeah. I think you could build something pretty close for under 50k.

looking through that site, they seem to be bit pissy about their patents

It doesn't matter how pissy they are. If you aren't selling the product you did nothing illegal.

Exactly. Different regions have different strengths and in a dessert, sand and oil make solar cells pretty cheap if the manufacturing is onsite. What doesn't make any sense for that reason is wind power. Sand and lots of moving parts isn't a great idea to begin with. Increases maintenance and replacement, the slower the system can be scaled because it's constantly under maintenance is a waste of time for the people that need power and turns a reasonable expected rate of return on an investment to 'shit tier' pretty quickly.

In the dessert solar a dependable resource if they manage the local resources properly and keep the head count properly managed.

see this

Just build one for your own personal research.

I just realized that the top of the funnels is closed, I thought the top was open so that you would get more air intake thanks to the whatever the name of the effect is. Like on a dyson fan. I though thats where the magic is happening, that it wasnt just about it getting narrow arount the turbines. But there are photos or rather renderings where they have a tower on top, making any air multiplication impossible.

That's why under 35 USC 271 it would be illegal to make, use, etc any patented item.

However, under Subset G(1) the patent does not extend to any item when it is "materially changed by subsequent process". Basically if you want to test their theory and you don't use their manufacturing ISO you are not breaking the law.

To use a as an hammer example.

If the hammer at the store was an all aluminum hammer with a designed head and you went home and made an all wooden hammer with a similiar head, your hammer would not infringe upon the patent because you have materially changed the original product.

Or like a soda.

Ever wonder why there are so many that taste substantially similiar? It's because all I have to do is adjust one flavor component to differ my formula from yours. When dealing with a product, all you have to do is change it so that it can perform the same function but it doesn't look exactly like the original, or doesn't use the same construction material.

Patents are only as good as process is defined and engineered. Looking at the pictures the units demo's have an open, like you say with the dyson vaccuum action.

Oh ok, you replied to a wrong post I think tho.

doh…meant for the france guy.

But yeah the tops look open in a couple of the images on google image search.

I think a person with enough land, lumber, guys and beer could build one in a couple of days. Once you've got a frame you can screw around with the tunnel design. All you are really trying to do is make something move.

Does full efficiency really count if testing how it works before committing to contacting the builder? Not really.

but some of them have the top closed, also it doesnt mention anywhere what kind of turbines are used

There's a huge retail market for turbine retailers. It would really depend on scale and I think you might be over complicating things in your head on installing something like a turbine.

Instead of water moving the belt to produce raw power, the belt is straped around an alternator to produce power to the limit of the alternator producing th electricity, not the mediums of power (like fire, wind, water, air). The mediums are inconsequential, all that matters is it can run a belt on something that makes electricity.

Most of all this stuff with the exception of solar has a lot of moving parts. Turn of the century the vast majority of all goods sold were driven by steam and water. Using the same method with wind would achieve better and cleaner results than the coal based methods they used.

The wind mill itself is only the instrument to bring the power of the air to where the grind stone is via a long vertical shaft. Very crude in comparison to the Invelox where the wind comes to the fan blades that are attached to the belts that spin the alternators in the power turbine generators.

It's why it's more efficient and more power output happens. Less energy lost 'transporting' energy down the windmill.

Basically the invelox design is the reinvention of the sail.

Dear faggot op, you need to do a little homework and find out more about what your trying to do. Look at the power supply on your compooper to find out how much power you need. It should have a rating in wattage. This faggot is saying 500 to 750 watts, that is not an "average" computer, that's a pretty high end machine. My "average" computer has a 65w power supply. So there's a big difference in what people consider average, so you need to find out what your computer is using for power.

Now some math. Let's assume a computer using 65 watts like mine (watts is a rating per hour). So running it for 8 hours a day would require a total of 520 watts of power.

Now solar panels are also rated in watts (again, per hour). A 100 watt panel will produce 100 watts, per hour of bright, direct sunshine (with variation depending on latitude). So assuming 100 watts per hour, if you had 6 good sunshine hours a day, your panel would provide 600 watts of power. So theoretically, a single 100 watt panel could power an "average" computer like mine.

Solar systems always have to be "overbuilt" in order to deal with variations in the weather. You're in the Czech Repooplick, which means shorter and cloudier days in winter. But this is basically the best time of year to get started. Depending on your computer's power consumption, you could probably get started with a single 100 watt panel, and then just add another panel later in the year if you turn out to need it.

A 200 watt system is probably enough even in winter, but you might need 300 watts worth. It depends a lot on how much your computer uses. Don't forget you'll also need a battery, a charge controller (so your panels don't fry your battery), and an inverter. I haven't priced this out and don't know currency conversions for your country, but here in burger land this could be done for less than $500 burger bucks.

lmgtfy.com/?q=how many solar panels are needed to run a computer