UAVs

Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (AKA. "Drones") are technology
Do you guys own any UAVs?
Got any flying tips and shit?
Whats the highest you've flown?
How do you feel about commercial delivery drones?

Other urls found in this thread:

rpastraining.com.au/casr-101-uav-drone-legal-or-illegal
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I arrived in a UAV.
I come in peace tho

ayyyyyy

What's the cheapest you can get a reliable one of these?

50-60 dollars gets you a fairly durable entry-level quadcopter. But don't expect the cameras to have decent quality, again, they are very entry level. Also keep in mind at this price point the only real control assist you will have is Headless Mode. Most of the quads at this price point also don't have wifi fpv (first person view) for real-time viewing. If you want things like FPV cameras you'll need to up it a notch into the 80-90 price zone, if you want shit like Return To Home with GPS you'll need to go higher still. Finally, if you want stability control you'll be in the hundreds of dollars range. The current premium is the DJI Phantom 4 which is well over a thousand bucks but you can probably find something comparable in the 500 dollar or less range.

Stability controls and shit like altitude lock is useful but not a requirement. Keep in mind without these you'll always need to be maintaining its position manually because it will drift in the wind, especially at higher altitudes. The heavier drones will see a bit less wind drift than the lighter ones, however.

OP could you sound more like a fed?

Fuck you

Only an off-the-shelf FPV racer. The camera and display (basically an analog TV) is not high quality but it's fine for seeing where you're going, and I wanted something for recreational flying, not a boring camera UFO like the Phantom. Only major issue I have with it is the video signal hates obstacles and the range is limited (legal limit is 25mW, I think it came with jumpers to go beyond that but I'm not keen on doing that). Otherwise it's pretty zippy and responsive, I like it.

What was a real nice surprise is that its flight controller is open source (Naze32, based on Cleanflight). Getting it into the air was a hassle at first as the drone itself came with virtually no documentation, most of it was initial setup tutorials on Youtube, but it's easy to learn, and configuring it to my liking has been about as fun to me as actually flying it. The video transmitter OSD stuff is also open but I haven't played with that yet.

What might be fun much later is trying to pick up the video and transmitter from an SDR, they're probably based on something common. The transmitter will obviously be documented by the flight controller in some way.

That depends, what do you want it for? Flying? Racing? Photography and exploring? Indoors or outdoors? Regardless of your path pick up something entry-level for learning on first. Also if you're into open source that rules out quite a few options, notably anything dji.

The one I have is unfortunately not an FPV cam, but I'm wondering if there are any universal FPV camera kits out there

Use GNU/seL4 on UAVs, it's the only way to not get hacked by isis.
Btw, hello CIA.

If you want to buy one then do it now.
As time passes I think they will require a drivers license like document in a few years.

They already do. The FAA requires you to Register all UAVs, including remote controlled ones, as long as they are at least 0.55 pounds. You must be at least 13 years old, pay them a 5 dollar fee, and then write an actual license number somewhere visible on your drone much like a license plate, they give you instructions on how to do this, which can be sharpie or a label maker. You can do it all online so there's that. That said, I don't think ANYBODY ever does this bullshit unless its for a thousand dollar DJI Phantom or commercial drone. If its a cheap little hobbyist quadcopter I don't think anybody is going to care

Weird. Australia has ridiculous commercial licensing requirements but it's pretty relaxed for average joes except for the nebulous definition of "commercial use".

rpastraining.com.au/casr-101-uav-drone-legal-or-illegal

Probably, but you can't just throw a camera onto any existing drone, it has to be able to carry it and remain balanced, that'll include any extra power required.

Australia has the benefit of being full of empty fucking space. America has a bunch of wide empty space as well, but the majority of drone owners happen to live in California and New York, where its mostly city and suburban areas and the few empty space there is is usually National Park area. Basically its easier for them to tell everybody to register their shit and then confiscate their quads if they're being dicks with them on purpose than to tell people "Go to a non-populated area"

DATAMINING THREAD
A
T
A
M
I
N
I
N
G

T
H
R
E
A
D

Theoretically speaking, would it be feasible to put a gyrojet-like gun on a drone?
Also theoretically speaking, why has nobody done this before? I mean like military contractors who could devise cheaper gyrojet-like ammunition, not UAV enthusiasts.

Pretty sure someone did mount a gun to a drone

Seek help, seriously

Is it possible to make money operating or building drones for commercial purposes? What else are they used for besides taking aerial pictures and discretely delivering dragon dildos?

Basically any kind of operation that would be too mundane/dangerous for direct human handling. A good example would be surveying a mountain side before attempting to scale it, or scouting a path in rough terrain by doing a fly-through.

It should be said that drones have applications in surveying, but in Australia at least they only see niche uses, such as in mining, because drones have limited capability compared to a proper aircraft, they're expensive for what you get, and again, arduous licensing process limiting how they can be used.

I was thinking it'd be fun to stick a nerf missile launcher on mine but they probably wouldn't make it past the propellers unless it was grounded.

Quadcopters themselves have the advantage of being inherently stable compared to traditional helicopters. On a traditional helicopter, a rear rotor is required to stabilize its position. This creates unnecessary drag. On a quad-rotor aircraft, stabilization is achieved by controlling the speed of each of the four rotors, this means that the same rotors used for lift are also used for stabilization, making quadcopters much more efficient. The only reason why quadcopters never really took off until the 21st century is because they traditionally required too much manual pilot input to be deemed safe, because pilots had to track the speed of four different rotors. Modern quadcopters have been made possible with the invention of the modern microprocessor and electronic control unit. Which enabled computers to do most of the tedious rotor control while providing pilots with a much simpler human interface of traditional axis control.

this place doesn't know jack shit about what technology is

NASA's LLRV trainer wasn't a quadcopter, but it had similar control problems. It was designed to train Apollo Lunar Module pilots. The jet engine in the middle supplied the main lift (just like the Lunar Module's main engine), and there were thrusters arranged around the assembly to precisely control movement (also like the LM). Most of the astronauts absolutely hated the thing because it was incredibly unstable, and required total concentration at all times to keep upright. There were a lot of crashes. Eventually training on it stopped because it was just too dangerous.

Neil Armstrong almost died in an LLRV crash. He ejected literally seconds before his trainer flipped and crashed. And that's Neil freakin' Armstrong we're talking about. He wasn't some daredevil who didn't take training seriously. He was the prototypical calm, cool, disciplined, and precise test pilot.

It was probably easier to pilot the actual Lunar Module than that shit

Funny enough, that's exactly what most of the astronauts who actually flew the Lunar Module said. The LLRV could become uncontrollable in the slightest breeze. But on the moon, they didn't have to worry about wind conditions.

Looks like some bullshit insane KSP contraption

Monitoring

Be advised citizens. You have nothing to fear

I wanted to own one, but now you have to register them like a faggot. Have no interest now.

You are why we can't have nice things.

how accurate is it?

Nobody cares if you don't register your Drone, the legality of registering your drone is on the same level as the "Do not remove under penalty of law" tags on mattresses. Yes, its technically the law, but you wont get thrown in prison or fined for not following it, despite what it says. Maybe if you're being a complete dick with your drone on purpose or some shit, but a cop isn't going to see a man flying a quadcopter in an open flied and say "Welp there's no number on it better fine this guy several thousand bucks..." and go out of his way when he could be doing something important. And you don't exactly need to have a background check or ID to buy a fucking quadcopter from a local hobby store.

Did he make that just for herding fucking cows? Because if he did thats pretty good tbh

this: anyone can buy components to make a "DRONE" drone is just a buzzword for RC-TOYS that have been around for over 60 years