I was going to install gentoo but I read through the install guide and quit after reading it half way

I was going to install gentoo but I read through the install guide and quit after reading it half way.

It seems like they intentionally make it hard to do. Can someone explain why they would want a smaller user base?

I'm just going to use linux mint.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

to avoid retards
looks like it's working

To keep out idiots like you. Why? Because they don't want to hear your inane questions which would commence the minute the install finished. Ubuntu is perfect for you though.

Their intention was to allow the user build their OS exactly to their needs. You are in control of everything. Whether you want systemd, x or wayland, what boot loader you wanted. What file system you wanted. What desktop. What sound system.

Yeah, you are probably going to spend a 6months to years learning how to install it just right for your special snowflake needs.

Use ubuntu, manjaro, or linux mint if you have no special snowflake needs.

When was the last time you read a long text in one sitting? Did you ever read one?

What's wrong with having a small user base? Not every distro wants to be Ubuntu.

If you want easy, I would suggest ubuntu or an ubuntu derivative. Linux Mint and elementary OS are nice if you want as little fuss as possible and spend the time saved to shitpost more.

Nah. Gentoo is stupid. Install Arch.

If you cannot recognize the important difference between Arch and Gentoo, as in see why there's a very good reason for both, PLEASE keep your retarded ass on Arch since you're in a rush to fap to your furry websites. If you can't tell the difference between building from source and binary installs, we're more than happy there's more than enough distros for plebs like you.

OP the Handbook ain't hard, it's exactly how it needs to be to ensure a completely customized install. Apparently you have ADD. Mint is perfect for you. No one's mad at ya. Embrace your plebdom.

lol wut?

user if you propose a distribution to people who won't give a dam about installing gentoo they deserves what's the simplest.
But when you propose them the simplest ones don't give them a distro who incorporates retarded non-free dependencies.
Propose Trisquel.

To avoid bloat, duh.

how do i get to this power level?

install gentoo

If he's too retarded to follow an install guide, how are they going to deal with the notion of non-free codecs?

Seriously OP. Use the official Gentoo Handbook. The install gentoo wiki isn't the real thing. Good info on there, but not what you'll need to really understand how Gentoo werks.
Basically:
wiki.installgentoo.com/ =/= wiki.gentoo.org

Gentoo is actually not that bad. You just do what other distros do automatically, by yourself. There's nothing there to make it more complex than it needs to be.
Nothing wrong with just using Mint though.

The only thing an idiot too stupid to follow instructions deserves is a boot to the head imo tbh

By learning how to read.

I don't understand why this board isn't actively trying to evangelize a Linux distro like Ubuntu or Linux Mint to lure regular people away from Windows. It's like you're in your tree-house with a sign that says no normies allowed. How is this productive? You must not actively believe in free software for the masses and only want to bolster yourself.

they recently made it longer with pointless info added, and now you have to skip over the systemd / uefi bullshit

i dont know i like not having to see crap about ubuntu and muh compiz or whatever shit they use every second. maybe you should try >>>/reddit/

Why? For the epic upboats? What the fuck is wrong w/ you? There isn't even any interesting discussions going on here. Everything is being squashed by snarky comments that add nothing.

Its like you don't even know where you are.

Take my advice: leave and never come back.

Ever think to wonder why people separated themselves from the rest, choosing to reside in a tree house?

Sounds like Mint is working out for you OP, good for you.

Some people here have very particular requirements, which Mint cannot provide, that's why they go with these more customizable distros. For instance if you don't want systemd, that can be easier to do with gentoo (assuming you have some proficiency with it). If all you're planning to do with gentoo is to basically re-create Mint, you might as well just install Mint and save yourself the effort, unless you are interested in learning how to create Mint.

Well, being a FOSS project, they don't really care about how many users they have. It's not like they make money or anything. Most users don't ever thank the devs or donate or even submit useful bug reports. Anyway most of the bug reporting is done in unstable builds that normal users wouldn't use.

They only benefit from that subset of users that can and will contribute code to the project. And if you were able to do that, you probably wouldn't be complaining that it's too hard to install.

Installing Gentoo is hard for the same reason assembling your own car is hard. It's for the ultimate ricers.

You're right. There's a bridge to be built.

>>>/reddit/

That's fine.

Not at all. It's just that they've never made an installer for it because installation takes maybe a couple hours when you're savvy and you'll use that installation (ideally) for years.
That's all. Imagine any other OS without an installer. You'd have to move all the files into place, configure shit manually, and run some minimal bootstrapping. That's it.

I'm not arguing against an installer, but for a rolling-release, source-based poweruser distro that focuses on speed, user-aptitude, or customizability, it's not enough of a priority for any of the maintainers to create one (and more importantly to maintain one). If you want an installer, you can feel free to make it. That's the exact reason, because some people want an installer, but not bad enough to make it for themselves. Once they learn the installation process (which is basically similar to Linux From Scratch but with Portage and a lot of convenience bootstrapping done for you) well enough that they could make an installer, they realize that they don't personally need an installer anymore and see it as unnecessary.

If you want Gentoo with an easy installer, you're free to install Sabayon or any other distro you want. Hell, if you want it super easy, you can install Fedora or Debian and drop the portage tree into the middle of it and it'll pretty much just fucking work (as long as you then replace the kernel and remove the previous package manager), but I wouldn't recommend it. If you want gentoo but don't want the installation pain, get Sabayon or Funtoo. Otherwise just install another distro. There are more than enough to choose from.

It's more like I'm just using my OS and I don't give a fucking shit what everybody else uses.

Have you ever had normies in your treehouse?

This. Inconvenience is worth keeping normies away. Gentoo does it really well too by making it look hard when it isn't.