Critique my VFX? (not a shill thread)

you guys get triggered by youtube embeds, so i uploaded the file directly. i'm not trying to shill anything.
the audio is binaural so you're supposed to use headphones. it doesn't have a jumpscare, the only people who use those are cunts who have no imagination.
i worked really hard on this and its my first attempt at practical VFX

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uW4bXgw42-8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pretty good. Two tips, audio shouldn't be hard panned. If something is to the right, leave some audio in the left ear, EQ'd a bit different, it's more realistic.

The panning was a bit jerky. Attach an elastic band to the arm of the tripod, and stretch it in the direction you need, it's smoother.

i did, i just left it quiet. i promise its there.

good tip on panning, i'll have to try that

You need to work on movement.

Heartbeat shouldn't be as loud and direct recorded. Looks good other than that.

Nah, this isn't Holla Forums. We're chill.

i didn't want it to sound like you were hearing the heartbeat as an outside observer, i wanted it to sound like you were hearing it from inside of it, that way it has a more intimate sound. also it would have been impossible to record i any other way. try it for yourself, i swear its impossible to do.

i can link to the youtube video if you want, but i don't see the point now…

The vfx is fine, but the mise en scene looks pretty bland. Needs more dramatic lighting, lens effects, and filter effects. See vid related and other Sokurov's films, I think he's the greatest master of cinematography and editing in digital film making.

if i did all that shit, it wouldn't look like a dark basement anymore

Clean that mustard off your doll, you fucking slob.

Suit yourself, your film doesn't even look dark. IMO, such scene works better in sepia, if you want good visibility without sacrificing the darkness. Or you know, pitch black darkness works better in convincing the audience, but you should know better about the technique of light source placement, and it only works effectively with non digital camera.

dark was not the word i should have used. the implication of lighting is in the grading. since it is harsh white/blue, it looks like the light source is fluorescent, and that this is the only light source, as in there is no natural light in the scene. the light is sterile and artificial. the green tint gives in a sickly feeling. when i said "dark basement" i didn't mean "dark" in the most literal sense. also sepia 99% of the time is pretentious as shit.

also i wanted the lighting to look real, i didn't want it to look "cinematic" where the environment is pitch black but the subject is lit by an obvious spotlight. the lighting of the room i used looks exactly like the lighting you would see in any real, actual basement.

as for light levels, i originally wanted to make it darker, but it became clear that if i wanted to keep any sort of dynamic range whatsoever, i would have to keep the highlights at this level or not much lower. if i did then it would look washed out and homogeneous

You shouldn't make movies at all, my man. You aren't even very keen on visual art. And regarding the authenticity of cinema, it works on the psychological level and not technical. Looking real doesn't automatically correlate with feeling real, there's something beyond that.

It doesn't really convince me though. Sure as hell the light from my fluorescent bulbs doesn't look blue.

IMHO, yours does. The contrast between light and shade in your vid isn't solid enough.

who ever said anything about me making movies? i already know i shouldn't make movies. i've known that for the past 5 years.
i make 1-2 minute long youtube videos as a hobby on my free time. i don't know where you got the idea that i make movies, or even aspire to.

look, i appreciate that you care enough to give detailed criticisms and advice of my video, clearly you're passionate about this stuff and you think i have a problem that you're trying to help me solve, but pretty much every piece of advice and criticism you've given, its like you think you're talking about something being shown in theaters that people are buying tickets for, or the project of a film school student who is studying legitimate film theory and its going to be graded by a teacher.

none of this is true. you're watching a youtube video made for shits and giggles, by someone who doesn't know anything about cinematography or broader film theory. i'm not even trying to be what you're describing. besides, all this is pointless. the thread is about critiquing my vfx work on the doll and you're critiquing everything but that.

what the fuck is up with her eyes man

The Thumbnail looks like a painting, but in motion it seems…Uncanny. First her face is brightly lit, but when it is cut to the room itself it looks like it was filmmed in another room entirely. This hurts the illusion of the 4th wall reminding you that you are indeed watching a film.

This is weirdly humorous. She doesn't react like a real person. Furthermore the practical effects are obviously fake.

Contacts probably.

Post the Youtube link.

looks gay, kill urself

here ya go
youtube.com/watch?v=uW4bXgw42-8

Thanks.

This is awesome but I couldn't hear the conversation, you should have turned that volume up.
Also there was a hiccup at 1:40.

Dude…

bump

the heartbeat noise only playing only in my right headphone really bugs the piss outta me. I don't if it's the pitch or it being only in one ear, but the noise is like a really obnoxious mosquito flying by my ear except I can't swat it away.

i designed the sound for headphones. if you listen with headphones then you can hear everything because they have a higher "dynamic range" if you want to call it that. if i made it for speakers then everything would be normalized and it would sound like trash on headphones.

bruh…

different strokes for different folks. very few people have complained about it. most either don't mind, or like it.

I did'nt realize it was coming from my computer and it was screwing with me.

Kino?

Should I have turned my volume up to 5000% ?

>>>/suicide/