xkcd.com/1357/).
archive.is/k1DaG
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This is the Jeb Bush of contribution.

LOL

Closed, SaaS garbage.

Open federated protocol.

There's a pattern here.

OP probably thought "Digg, Reddit, Holla Forums" was a pattern.

Yeah, he's pretty much over. It's been kind of sad to watch him decline into nothingness.

xkcd was always hit&miss tbh

fixd

He at least seems to have lost most public acclaim outside of the poser crowd.

At least B^U got a new artist.

Kek. Fuck xkcd

LOL

Slack? Get in the times, discord is the new now

A thread died for this

XKCD is the lowest level of nerd humor, barely above BBT.

You're too young to have lived through Userfriendly

I haven't seen that name in a long time. So I was curious, and checked to see if Userfriendly was still being drawn. Not only is it still going, but the "artist" responsible for it HASN'T GOTTEN ANY BETTER IN TWENTY YEARS.

Even that creepy Mary Sue hack who drew Megatokyo managed to improve his art (if not his writing) in a much shorter time frame.

It's fucking terrible, you're right

A few years ago, when I last looked at it, it was automatically reposting the archive, day by day. It's probably still doing that.

I don't get it.

He owns a glow in the dark pig and all devs that eat meat are impressed by it. That's all there is to get.

Exactly what is happening. The one up right now is copyright 2006.

Low energy thread. Sad!

It reminds me of contacts who would say "jeez, still sending messages? get whatsapp!" and "whatsapp and line will replace SMS" but SMS kept living on since WhatsApp was used for sharing memes and dog videos, while SMS was used for emergencies and actual messaging.
Slack, Discord or whatever shit redditors use right now will die for another shiny new alternative while IRC is still around.

Anyone have the one where he plays quake with an abacus?

Given that the header for recently reposted strips says "CARTOON FOR" plus the reposting date and not the original date, that's incredibly disingenuous on the part of whatshisname who created it.

Might even be as bad as 2001. Looked like 2006 at first.

Shit. Wrong pic.

he hit the final nail in the coffin when he made a huge one page panel supporting Clinton and shaming anyone who voted differently. Politics has nothing to do with XKCD, or really many of the comics out there, the second you go full autistic like that, you are bound to alienate some of your readers.

kek

The second one is sad because it's true.

I remember User Friendly being a thing like 20 years ago or something, Was it ever good?

When will BBT die already? I'm so fucking tired of "smart" people talking about it like it's the funniest thing ever.

I know that's just an epin mene image, but in what way do systemd and wayland force you to update?

They don't.

It doesn't make sense because the original comic was called "Windows Updates", and had Bill Gates or some other Wangblows mascot force you to update. Whoever made this one is a faggot.

Doubly so because there's nothing wrong with wayland yet everything wrong with systemd.

For me, the big nail in the xkcd coffin was the idiotic pro-censorship strip (xkcd.com/1357/).

When so much of public discourse takes place on privately-owned internet sites or can only be located by privately-owned search engines, it's completely unacceptable to say "Well, restricting that person's speech isn't /technically/ censorship because it didn't involve government action". The dictionary definition of "censorship" just doesn't work in the 21st century.

Ahahahahhahahaha

I get it, autists insist on using outdated technology (IRC)

Ahahahahahhahahaha

>it's that your an asshole strawman and ad-hom rolled into one

Wow, fuck I hate them even more now

you think that's bad?

He's technically correct. Free speech is a government-level thing, it has nothing to do with what private companies do with your speech.
The rationalization he made to justify censorship was bad, but he was right that it was not a free speech issue. It was a censorship issue.

That was really the straw that broke the camel's back for me. XKCD stopped being funny a long time ago, and I was still reading it purely out of habit, but when he started shilling Clinton I was finally done with the comic. Why is it these fuckers can't keep private and public separate? The same happened all over tech sites when the SCOTUS approved of the sodomite marriage. I always remain silent on any political issue since that is specifically not what people come to visit my site for. It would be as absurd as going to a restaurant to buy a meal and then being showered by political propaganda. No restaurant in the world would do that.

He's talking about the constitution, so I always interpreted the comic being about idiots who think that their constitutional right applies in private places as well. Like you could go to some children's community and start calling everyone a nigger faggot.

Let's be honest, though; flip the roles. If a person were to go on TV and speak up *for* gay rights and be berated and deplatformed, what do you think Monroe would have done?

[cont] Don't forget what happened that caused that comic in the first place. A man was asked for an opinion, gave it and then was attacked by people like Monroe from all sides for giving it. Was it an attack on what is technically free speech? No, because he wasn't being censored by the government itself. It doesn't mean that a man and his family wasn't attacked for an obvious ass stance (it's a hick and it's family- was anybody surprised that he didn't like gay marriage?)

not all of us can be Holla Forumstards leaking user

The best part is you retards actually believe this

>>>Holla Forums

Free speech doesn't imply that there are no consequences. The only thing it implies is that the government won't punish you for speaking out your views. Private entities who "punish" you for holding certain views is technically censorship but those "punishments" will not cause the government to arrest you for the act of holding views of dissent. You will always have the right to hold your own speech on your own property and at your own time.

That's what laws about free speech (like the first amendment) imply, but they don't cover all aspects of free speech. Free speech is not defined as "that which the first amendment covers and nothing more".

Some people who get banned online for doing dumb shit do try to call on the first amendment. They're dumb, and that xkcd comic does apply to them.

But free speech on the internet really is harder than the old-fashioned kind. You can't hold your own speech on your own property on the internet because you always rely on someone else's property at some level - that of a website owner, or a hosting company, or a domain registrar, or an ISP. The equivalent of holding your own speech on your own property should be posting your opinions on your own website, where nobody who isn't looking for them is forced to listen to them, but you don't get the same safety. The effect is that free speech on the internet is not nearly as strong as free speech outside it.

This very site used to have real trouble staying up because its hosting, domain and donations could be cut off by companies for no other reason than that people were complaining so much that it wasn't worth the trouble for them.

Stallman explains it well in this video.

It's one thing to begrudgingly vote for the lesser of evils but outright shilling like that just takes the cake.

It's even worse than that; speaking freely on one's own property on the internet is more like hosting a website on your own home computer, and allowing access to it via an open wi-fi AP. Even if you're hosting on your own server in a colo somewhere, that colo is someone else's private property and using their private network infrastructure.

The "you shouldn't expect free speech on the internet because private property" argument against free speech is just a roundabout way for censorious assholes (like the xkcd author) to justify populist witch-hunts against unpopular speech.

It is, you massive faggot. Free speech is more than just whether or not the government lets you talk. The faggot cake thing was kind of a violation of free speech, and the Brendan Eich firing fiasco at Firefox was too. True democracy and free-speech is where the KKK, Black-Panthers, and Anarchist groups are all allowed to yell at each other, and they all get equal time to do so. For chrissake, look at Canada, where on a campus they moved against that one professor ,for saying that being required to call someone by their pronoun was anti free-speech. You're the fucking retard if you don't see this.

Surely you don't mean Hillary "WW3" Clinton?

Reminder, if businesses are held to the 15th amendment (making cakes for gays and nigs) then they should be held to all amendments. You can't pick and choose.

You mean "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude"?

Too bad that had nothing to do with the constitution or federal law and had everything to do with the state's own laws, jackass.

lol

That's actually pretty funny.

the only use for IE is to download the firefox install
I liked that one.

Monroe's a fucking faggot. His opinion isn't relevant and everything that comes out of his mouth is cancer. That's not the point.

Whatever you say user. Might want to stay in your echo chamber if facts trigger you so much

Fuck off back to >>>Holla Forums

Actually it makes perfect sense. For every reader like you who quit because of that comic, 10 more retards got into it because they're egotistical children that love being pandered to.

Actually plenty do. I live in a pretty liberal city (which one isn't) and there's plenty of eateries, coffee shops and similar venues that heavily signal their politics in various ways. They assume, correctly or incorrectly, that most of the people interested in their service are liberals anyway, so they might as well sacrifice the smaller conservative market segment and just market hard at the liberals. "Eat there because I like the food" becomes "the food is good and they're liberals just like me I love supporting liberals".

He's right though. Back to >>>Holla Forums with you.

Every now and again there's a page that only works right in IE, whether it be because they used non-standard MS extensions, or because their page is just shit.

Fuck off and die cunt.
>>>Holla Forums

You would think letting their favored Jewish puppet into office would mean Holla Forumstards would stop leaking and circlejerk in their safe space, or at least mellow out

>retards are posted redditfag lol threads here too
Please go back to Holla Forumseddit.

Obamacare's dead, and the wall's being built.

You lost.

I think it's mostly banks and gubmint sites. Gubmint now fell for the meme that not allowing furryfox is discriminating against poorfags so it's getting pretty rare to require IE, but with banks it's quite common.

Good goy, keep fighting for Israel.

That would have been Clinton. We know it's Clinton because this is the candidate that was chosen by George Soros. We know it's not Trump because of all the effort that George Soros is paying to destabilize the Trump presidency.

Sic semper tyrannis faggot.

nerfnow is total cancer.
archive.is/k1DaG

Can't you redditards understand words convey meaning instead of the other way around?

Once again, free speech does not imply that there are no consequences. Free speech only implies that the government won't punish you for speaking your views.

Free speech has a meaning on other levels. Government-level is just the only level of free speech you're legally guaranteed. That doesn't mean that you can't use the same term in slightly different contexts.

(Note: The following argument assumes that you're American.)

That's only because, in the late 1700's when the USA gained independence and set up their legal framework, governments were the ONLY powerful organizations. Even the Hudson's Bay Company and the Dutch East India Company, the precursors of modern multinationals, were owned by British aristocracy and were effectively agencies of the British government.

When the American founding fathers were doing their "setting up a country" thing, the concept of a private business having as much relative control over peoples' lives as Google or Facebook does today would never have even crossed their minds. That situation simply did not happen in the 1770's. It didn't really start happening until almost a century later, when robber barons were setting up company towns, and corporate personhood became a thing.

This whole "Only governments can censor people in the US. When a company puts a stop to free speech it's not actually censorship!" bullshit argument needs to die.

That's why networks like tor or even gnunet where made to make them impossible to know where they are so that people can't persecuted even if they have horrible opinions.

No free speech is the a system to bring more speech instead of people behaving like retards.
Speaking should bring more debate not a witch hunt.

Sup Reddit?

Don't link the site. Post it here...

...as much as I'll regret seeing it.

Most Holla Forums goers probably don't post on Holla Forums.

But I wanted Chump to win so the world would know beyond a shadow of a doubt how retarded muritards are.

Yeah, the guy who publicly stated that America will go to war for Israel, who has vocally supported Israel and Jews for decades, who got the nod from the president of Israel, and backing of the Jewish media, is clearly the savior of (((us White people))) right?

All I'm saying is the free speech he's talking about is the first amendment, which indeed doesn't protect the individual from private organizations, so he's technically correct.
I'm not advocating for censorship, I'm just saying censorship in private organizations does not go against the first amendment of free speech. If you replied angrily like a retard, so be it.

No, you didn't include the "the first amendment of" part. But thank you for clarifying.

Watch any intelligent thought get squashed by the tyranny of the majority
Free Speech is supposed to protect the smart form people like you, the mob, who will riot as soon as something that offends their feelings shows up.

Related video.

The funniest part about this whole comment is it applies in spades to Holla Forums.