Which was the better remake/film?

I realized there was a lot of 80s remakes of 50s horror films and got curious. Which was the better remake and the better film, Holla Forums? The Thing? The Fly? The Blob? And which is the best to start with?

The thing was better but still shit. We should make our own films.

The Thing is obviously the superior movie.

Another one with a long history of remakes is The Day of the Triffids, which is curious given the absurd plot.

There is also Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Had 4 versions.

The Thing is actual Kino. Tarkovsky would have loved it.

I thought it was more of a 70s film?

The Thing was and still is a masterpiece. The all-star cast and the legendary practical effects mean it will stay a classic and a go-to movie for horror fans for a long time.

The Fly was also a great movie, even for a remake. They did that movie justice. (Especially compared to the Vincent Price version, which is a classic in its own right, but for other reasons.) The effects all still hold up well because, like The Thing, they were practical, and not cgi bullshit. Some of the computer stuff can come across as cheesy, but only if it's not viewed with the context of being set in 1986.

I remember seeing The Blob when I was in junior high (first date lol), but I don't remember too much about it, which probably speaks to its quality. I haven't seen the old one with Steve McQueen since I was a kid and it was on the Saturday afternoon Creature Feature on one of the local channels.

The first movie is from 56, the 78 is a remake.

Kek.
It was an okay movie, it wasn't spectacular or even noteworthy but it's a fun monster on the lose film.

The Blob, to me was the first one I was exposed to and each film to me, can be best represented by its kills and how like I responded.

Watching the remake of The Blob for the first time, I will never be able to remove the image of the homeless guy on the gurney with his lower half gone and what was left of his waking mind, reaching out for help only to die. The entire set change, from the hospital, to the diner, to the movies- Like overall if it were say a game, I'd recommend it as someone's first Sci-Fi horror game because at the very end, with the preacher out in the fields of nowhere, with the open ability to bring out the apocalypse is a really tidy and scary way to unleash a sequel.

That and the scene in the sewers, and the projection room- Like overall as a horror movie, while it was predictable, the overall artistic design of it was very high. I really liked the character that was the rebel, and I feel like he really helped create the future archetypes of characters like him to come.

I really liked The Fly, but christ help me all I can remember is like the portion on the bar, and at the end. I know there are so many other interesting parts, but watching Goldblum explode out of his physical form, watching the final Flymorph at the end just accept its fate- It was a truly bitter ending. And as we we see in its sequel how the woman who birthed his child dies, It's- I really like how they expounded on his abilities as a bug person. It''s one of the few sequels that seems to encapsulate the evolution of the series. I liked everything about it, from the empathy the child shows to the teleporter dog, to the brutal acid belch on that guys face.

The Thing is a classic. It's solid. Can't think of any actual faults. The scene on the gurney where they try to revive the guy will always stay with me as such a horrifying experience, despite his arms not being in the exact spot prior.

They are all part of that rare 80's theme of movies that are good. They are good, I'd say because they rely on a nice mix of effects. Even the blob had a lot of physical effects despite the rotomotion they used to make it move. Or maybe not rotomotion, I'm not sure WHAT they did. I think models & scale.

These 3 are great. They have faults I can't see right now, but goddamn they were some of the best.

Honestly to me The Fly is just as good as The Thing. Cronenberg in top form. Excellent practical effects, decent script and dialogue, some memorable quotes(insect politician), and well cast actors who didn't ham it up needlessly.

I'm not sure if The Thing exactly counts as a remake. It's more of an adaption of Who Goes There. Of course the best adaption of Who Goes There featured Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, and Telly Savalas.

You're forgetting 1951's The Thing From Another World, of which Carpenter's The Thing is more or less a direct remake.

carpenter was a huge fan of that film (hence the similarities in the opening title) but his film is far more faithful to the novella who goes there? and is not a remake of the 50s film at all.

The 80s remake is better in pretty much every case, Invaders from Mars being one notable exception

Quite the reverse of the current situation

You mean the kid's death? I know that feel, I was traumatized when I saw that as a kid and I didn't watch it again till high school.

Jeff Goldblum at his prime

Pretty sure that was Jurassic Park.

Pure (((Goldblum)))

Smh

There's no reason to start with the 50s version ever because they're entirely different films.

Not to say they aren't worth watching, but order does not matter.