Scooby Apocalypse Storytime, Issues #1-6

Friends, anons, Holla Forumsuntrymen, lend me your eyes;
I come to bury Scooby Apocalypse, not to praise it.

I'm sure I need not go into too great a detail on the general premise behind this series. It's a needlessly edgy spin-off of the Scooby Doo franchise that utterly misses the point of the original work. One only needs to take a look at all of these variant covers to see that.

But come now, do they not say that you should never judge a book by its cover alone? I have no hopes that this series will turn out to be some great, hidden masterpiece, but is it not better for us to lambast this work for its actual flaws, rather than whatever phantom images our imaginations have constructed?

If you agree, then come and join me, Holla Forumsmrades. Let us bear witness to the Scooby Apocalypse.

Let's not.

Immediate thought that springs to mind: Why seven fucking variant covers, DC? To what end?

I'm still mad that this isn't called "Scooby Doomsday".

Yes, that's one hell of a missed opportunity.

And here's the end of issue #1.

Scooby Apocalypse #2: Apocalypse Right Now!

And there's the end of issue #2.

Scooby Apocalypse #3: Terror Incognita!

End of issue #3.

Scooby Apocalypse #4: Fur and Fangs!

We've hit the halfway point now, anons.

Issue #4, completed.

Scooby Apocalypse #5: The Siege

And that's issue #5 done. Just one more to go.

Scooby Apocalypse #6: The Secret History of Velma Dinkley

My word..Velma looks terrible. What have they done to her?

That's what the issue is about, user. Though I think the main problem with her design is that her glasses have been replaced with some incredibly ugly set of prescription safety goggles.

And that's the end of tha- Wait, what's that, Mr. Giffen? You're five pages short and need to fill space? Sure, what's the worst that could happen?

The Adventures of Scrappy Doo and the Scrappy Gang!
Scrappy's Self-Improvement Plan!

If any anons are still with me after all this time, I congratulate you on your sheer bloody-mindedness.

Yay for Scrappy..the motherfucker with the biggest balls.

He's certainly quite the dark and driven individual in this series, not that that's intended as a compliment.

Anyway, that's all the issues of Scooby Apocalypse that have come out so far, and having gone through them, I don't think I'll care to continue the storytiming when issue #7 comes out.

wow this is surprisingly good. I was nervous at first because of the premise and Shaggy's hipster mustache and beard combo but this is really good. I guess if its treated as an else world thing it can work.

Velma's origin reminds me of that scientist chick from Power Rangers Overdrive.

shit I meant Power Rangers RPM.

My only complaint is that Daphne's kind of a cunt, but she's had her moments and it seems like they're setting things up for all of them to become friends (or at least trust each other) in the end, so she'll probably grow out of it as the issues keep coming.

I dislike what they've done with Scrappy Doo, Daphne is a raging bitch, Hipster Shaggy is nothing like the real Shaggy, and the art goes all derp-faced with annoying regularity, but aside from those issues it's not a bad story.

I think this would probably have been better received if it didn't have the Scooby Doo branding attached to it. It could have stood on its own, as opposed to being just another failed spinoff where they try to make the monsters real.

I think the only time the whole "real monsters" schtick worked in the Scooby Doo IP in general was the finale of Mystery Incorporated. I don't know what's the opinion on the Witch's Ghost or Alien Invaders movie specials. I found them cheesy.

OK, I'll give it a try.
But for me the post Mystery Incorporated characterizations are the best.
>Sweet Daphne. God knows there's not enough sincerely sweet feminine characters out there

OK, that's nice.
Fuck you.
Seriously, in hell.
What, what the fuck is wrong with Scooby?
What the fuck is emotigoggles? Oh, forced meme attempt. OK… you could just have said that.
OK, no fuck this. I've seen some retarded shit in Scooby Doo but this takes the cake.
I'll probably continue reading this… some day.

You'll niggers need "Big Top Scooby Doo" if you wanna see something good.

I think is supposed to be a pun because back in the 60's hippie was a diminutive of Hipster.

Yeah but Shaggy's kind of "hippie" is just a kind o personality that is eternal, he wasn't your flower picking hipster that fade away as fast as the Vietnam war, and definitely is not this kind of "hippie" that'll fade away too.

I think they did the monsters are real thing in Scooby Doo on Zombie Island. It was done the best there that and it explains Daphne's tv career like here in the comic.

I can't even skim this shit. It's so painfully edgy and trying so hard to reinvent a group of characters in such an absurd way that they should have just created a whole new series instead of calling this Scooby Doo.

Shaggy was never a hippie as much as he was just a slacker. He wanted to spend time with his friends, eat, and live peacefully. He was a pacifist, but only because he was a coward.

This isn't supposed to be a prequel for the cartoons or movies or anything like that. This is just a Elseworlds kinda of thing. It's a new take.

DC actually publish another two comics starring the Scooby Doo characters that nobody reads: "SCOOBY-DOO! WHERE ARE YOU?", currently at issue #74, and "SCOOBY-DOO! TEAM-UP", currently at issue #36.

Buy why Scooby Doo branded though?
It could've been something entertaining if it didn't clashed that hard with the characters we know, when they did that in Mystery Inc. the change wasn't made to make them "modern" but less repetitive, and even then there was a sizeable backslash from SD purist, it has gone down now that MI characterizations are the canon ones though.

I think the thing that bothers me is that every character is an asshole now, with Shaggy being a slight exception, but I'm going to make an executive decision and say that making a Shaggy who isn't simultaneous chill and nervous was an asshole move.

Velma is an anti-social cunt with a superiority complex.
Daphne is obsessed with her own fame to the point of being self-destructive.
Fred is a judgemental and cynical dick who looks like he has down syndrome
Shaggy is a musclebound hipster who constantly mouths off to others and has a permanent angry faggot expression
Scooby is an attack dog who expresses himself with growling and emojis.

What part of this did an editor see and say "This is good! We're making this!"

Velma also had a superiority complex in Mystery Inc. But this was used as a flawed trait that had to be matured over or at least controlled.

That's just how DC works, Holla Forumsmrade.

This.
Always, and specially after MI one could say manu things about the gang but there was no doubt that these people were friends and liked to be scared/mysteries.
Even the cowards Shaggy and Scooby are just cowards by comparison to the rest of the gang, but they get easily bored by common life love horror movies and high trills (Non spooky styled ones).
Why would these people be together here is my main question.

Nope. I'm done. This is exactly as bad as it looks on the cover.

I heard they're going to make a movie out of this comic.

Darn, I forgot Zombie Island. I watched the crap out of it every time it aired on CN. The plot was so similar to the first Alone in the Dark game (swampland setting, plot begins at an ages-old house, eldritch magic-using antagonists that rejected their humanity many eras ago, cursed undead, etc.).

How vile.

This is just like that Silent Hill Dark Horse comic. And by that, I mean a poorly handled garbage fire comic adaption of an Intellectual Property.

Could have been worse. Imagine him turned into a Dude Weed Lmao. He was a stoner after all.

But yeah, he's like a hippie, but mostly because hippies were popular back then. Getting to drive around your friends in a van was a hippie thing too.

this really could've been better, and closer to the original scooby doo story, if they were trying to prevent this from happening, and if this was written as a mystery novel, as opposed to a zombie apocalypse story

Read through all of it. It wasn't complete garbage like I was expecting. I'll likely read through to the end if it manages to last that long.

How the fuck were Giffen and DeMatteis responsible for this sack of shit? I've usually loved their stuff, got all of JLI in trades.

JLI was a long time ago.

They're both old men now.

Sometimes, a creator's talent turns into a hit-or-miss pattern. It sucks, but that's how talent occasionally is, even for the some of the hard-working ones.