Is there an e-book reader, that respects my privacy?

Is there an e-book reader, that respects my privacy?

Other urls found in this thread:

mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162713
youtube.com/watch?v=phO4QkHWsVE
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/E-book_reader#FLOSS_e-book_readers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sure. My e-reader doesn't have support for any kind of internet connectivity and you put files on it by using it as an ordinary USB storage device or inserting a SD card. Look for something like that.

Also thought of that. Any examples?

I use an iriver story, but it's old and mediocre and somehow still fairly expensive. I got it for free from someone I know. I wouldn't recommend it, although it's decent enough.

Looking for devices with a "WiFi edition" might be a good start because it implies there's an edition without WiFi.

WiFi is fucking nothing unless it's required to use it.
Because you simply do not give any password and therefore no connection.

Still, paying for useless component sucks.

I personally want to avoid it completely.

Buy a kindle, don't connect it to the internet.

Your best bet is a Kobo with the trick to disable google analytics.

mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162713
Wow. At least Kobo has their source code posted online so people could possibly modify it and strip out the botnet.

At the very basic you should make a whole new identity for every cellphone, tablet, laptop or PC you own.

If you actually care about security, there should be different identities for different services on various devices.

I bet you post without a proxy too you faggot.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are devices that do require an internet connection at some point to work.

I never entered account info of any kind into my e-reader.

At the very least I should be able to get a device that doesn't store everything I do and bulk upload it to Amazon/Google/whoever whenever it connects to the internet. Your post is like saying you're safe being raped by niggers every night so long as you get them to wear a condom.

calibre?

You'd have to ask your boyfriend to not kiss obviously

I've used several iterations of Kindle and always disable all connectivity features, run it in airplane mode all the time, and only read eBooks I put on it via USB.

No my post is like saying I'm less likely to get caught by a pack of rapist niggers because I leave decoys in the shape of watermelons and KFC.

just buy a used kindle for like $40 or whatever and turn off the wi-fi. sync with calibre.

what you want to hold-out for in terms of spending a normal amount or buying new is for the recent 10" and 13" Android-based e-ink tablets to come down in price.

Dunno how much experience you have with e-ink readers, but the typically small screens are absolute shit for reading pdfs and there are still a ton of pdfs floating around.

Buy a real book.

This + SQlite edit to make a spoof account = no need for account/connection.

Works great with Calibre/whatever.

the older kindles run debian.

This picked my interest. What tablets are you talking about?

You don't need a Kobo account unless you're going to use their store. All making an account does is opt you into another way of them collecting data on you.

ibooks

Oldschool kindle with wireless disabled. Works fine, gay about .epub but easily convertible to .mobi. Kindle DX is my favorite. Big easy to read screen. No backlight means won't fuck up sleep cycle. Only a 3G modem, easily disabled. Dirt cheap on Ebay

See comparison pic for size difference. It's about the size of an iPad, a bit smaller than 8.5x11. Pretty light too for the size.

kindly ignore the literary POZ LOADS in the photo, it came from jewgle

Forgot pic, fuck

I've got an Aluratek Libre. Doesn't have any internet or anything like that, but menu navigation is kind of a pain. I got it because it was cheap.

Indeed. Search Amazon for Icarus or Onyx BOOX Max. They're all pretty much the same thing... using the E-Ink Pearl 8,10, or 13" E-ink displays and running Android.

They often get bad reviews because people just hear good things about e-ink and eye strain but don't understand what having a low refresh rate means for doing most normal tablet things.

My interest is in having cheap e-ink tablets with just enough frames, pixels, and storage to work as an e-writer and drawing tablet as well as a reader. There is MASSIVE interest in this space from people who actually want to do work, but it's like if it has no obvious consumer product application, the makers aren't interested.

I've been following this scene for years and i've come to the conclusion that we're not going to see anything amazing until they solve the issue of color and can get 30 frames out of these displays reliably without any kind of ghosting or artifacts. Then, they'll start popping-up in everything, since marketers will be able to sex up the content displayed on the screens way more than they could with e-ink.

alluring. needs more buttons, though.

Yeah, way too many. I don't know if you can tell but the thing on the left is also for input. You can slide it up or down to change the page.

Exactly. So you make a fake account by editing the database directly to get past the stupid "Set up my kobo account" screen it tries to force you through.

Paper books are the only books worth buying.

There was a way to skip having to make an account on old Nook Simple Touch readers. I was sad to find out that's no longer the case for the Glowlight Plus which I recently upgraded to. Either way you can just disable the WiFi and never worry about it again.

They can read .epub and .pdf so you don't need to convert anything, which gives them an edge over Kindles. However, uploading is a pain on Glowlight Plus. lsblk won't even recognize my device. I have to go into a Windows partition to upload to it. Maybe it's just my speshul snowflake distro fucking it up, I don't know.

Old android with fbreader from fdroid, turn off internet.
You now have a free or extrenely cheap ereader.

this. best solution.

If you don't care about it being portable like a handheld device, you can use pale moon with the e-book reader extension

original Kindle had a hardware 3g (or 2g?) switch, plus it looked aesthetic as hell.

What about PocketBook Basic 2.
It doesn't have wifi, you just pop in an SD card with your books.
EPUB DRM, EPUB, PDF DRM, PDF, FB2, FB2.ZIP, TXT, DJVU, HTML, DOC, DOCX, RTF, CHM, TCR, PRC (MOBI) JPEG, BMP, PNG, TIFF are supported.

forgot pic

ok, so it doesn't say wifi anywhere on their site, but it does on the pic.
So it apperanlty has wifi

Rooted Nook Simple Touch

Looked for it. It has Wifi.

Yeah, this is annoying. The screen is too small to display PDF at full width, and because of slowpoke refresh rate scrolling page left-right every time you read a line just doesn't work. If the material is typeset in columns that can work but going between pages is still an ordeal.

PDFs can't be reflowed so there goes the trick that makes ereaders work for novels and such. Or rather, maybe there is some super sophisticated PDF reflow algo out there, but the lazy faggots who scan books as PDF OCR it wrong anyhow so it wouldn't work with it. They leave each line as its own text object and so on. I've tried converting from PDF with calibre but the result is always unreadable, with page numbers in the middle of text and linebreaks everywhere. You would have to do hours of manual processing to get it right.

Thing with big screens is that it becomes much less portable and convenient. The basic kindle is the size of a paperback for a reason: You can carry it in your pocket, hold it in one hand and press buttons easily, read while lying in bed. Supposedly lines of that width are optimal for human eyes too. The magazines size monstrosities are expensive besides being clumsy and bulky. At that point you might as well just use a tablet or something.

Say, aren't eink pigments magnetic? Then a magnetized stylus can also alter them. If you put sensor on the screen the device could read what the stylus wrote too. It's a pretty neat two-way display. Or is this how writers work already?

I remember everyone losing their shit over basically a kindle you can write on 2-3 years ago. Forget what it's called, but turned out vaporware pretty soon. Nowadays the market seems much livelier though.

Astro Tab makes cheap tablets that are perfect for CBR/PDF uses. Just turn off the wifi and you're set.

Kobo Aura HD master race. 1080x1440 is god tier for mangos.

Kindles have RFIDs.
youtube.com/watch?v=phO4QkHWsVE

Forum sliding detected. Something upset you, shill?

at least this time pic is related.

it's anger trolling because it's obvious that people will sperg out when you post a thread about proprietary software on Holla Forums.

you're mentally ill and need to seek help from a doctor to prescribe you the pills that you need to treat your mental illness.

Nice try, shill.

Look up devices that support openinkpot.
Also, this question should go in the sticky.
Also, you faggots should be using the wiki because it says this in there, clear as fucking day, the answer to your question:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/E-book_reader#FLOSS_e-book_readers

Follow your own fucking board rules Holla Forums.

Are they worth torrenting though?