It will be another decade before the best input device is challenged

It will be another decade before the best input device is challenged.

Nah, keyboards will be around forever.

Only thing that could possibly kill this input device is voice interface.

Just wait until we get haptic feedback on screens, and the bottom of the laptop becomes one big touchpad with a keyboard projected onto it. It would actually be a neat idea, because if there are no keys there's nothing for water to seep through, making it more rugged.

That would be terrible. More like mind interface.

yet another thing that only sounds good on paper. We already have voice input on smartphones believe it or not. Yet nobody uses it, nobody wants to stand in public and scream out loud to their phone "Search for Funny cat videos on YouTube" like a retard. Voice input will never catch on

The best input device is one that won't give you crippling RSI in less than that decade.

OP picture not related.

as much as i love the clit, there are ZERO modern laptops with them that are not total dogshit.
trackpads are fucking garbage BUT NOT on apple computers
they are the ONLY device where i LIKE using the trackpad

It would still feel horrible compared to typing on a real keyboard.

exactly. as said nobody wants other people to hear the retarded shit they get up to on their devices. mind interfaces would replace literally every other imput, and be far more efficient. I would get an neural implant just for the ability to basic input tasks.

I'd like to keep my keyboard.

You know what time it is...

/thread

there's no way in hell I'll let somebody install some hardware backdoor in my fucking brains.

keyboard and mouse are here to stay

Is it still botnet if it's libre?

it's too complex and small to be able to open, repair, fix, produce yourself
just a security risk

brain interfaces are never going to be used by any sane person

Mind interfaces also aren't the best solution. I might be the only one but, I don't think about exactly what I'm doing when I'm programming or especially on the command line in an item by item way.

This is image uses body part size to show much brainpower is dedicated to controlling certain body parts. The hands are massive but it goes beyond that, humans are built for hand eye coordination not eye thought coordination.

An ideal solution would be to add both more senses and inputs to the equation. Eyeball tracking is getting really good, once it's good enough to know what character or word you are looking at the editor can play sounds and buzz specifically placed vibrating motors so you have 3 senses giving you an idea of what you're looking and what you're typing. Eyeball tracking also solves the issue of mice being slow.

51nb's ThinkPad X62 mod, etc.

Great viable option there, faggot.

Trackball remains the undisputed king of laptop pointer peripherals.

This guy gets it.

Considering how many PCs are hijacked I don't want to become a literal zombie.

Not to mention the questionable hardware compatibility. I've heard that the fan is set to activate at 40C so it's pretty much always on, people have had issues with grainy audio. Some other issues I've heard, but I can't remember right now. Just generally a little too janky for my taste.

I've recently started writing a short story with this exact premise. Still trying to decide if I want to work in FOSS without being to preachy.

touchpad is okay tier if apple - shit tier if clone

mechanical keyboards ftw

toshiba protege

The dik should be bigger in that picture.

Fuck off, apple shill.

Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson

Holy Shit that's what nightmares are made of. El Rato would make a great psycho killer.

I've had to pour a very large glass full of water out of my powered keyboard that had water resting in it for hours, I just blow dried it, and it still works flawlessly. Touch screen keyboards are a terrible idea.

Where'd my post number go?

But trackpoints are sadly hardly ever used anymore.