Xubuntu vs debian+xfce

xubuntu vs debian+xfce

which do you guys think is a better setup?

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/452826/wireless-networking-not-working-after-resume-in-ubuntu-14-04
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

An rpm-based distro with cinnamon, obv

Been meaning to try OpenSUSE. Never had the chance to yet but isn't it less stable than the previous mentioned? The point of my original post was intended in terms of stability. Sorry, I should've written that.

CentOS then, or even Mageia.

To be clear, OpenSuse is plenty stable if you choose the stable release.
I ran it for years.
Ubuntu is absolute unstable garbage.

Ubuntu has brand new and less tested packages, so I don't think it is stable (don't really know for sure, though). But Debian is pretty stable and I just have to reinstall the system when I fuck it up and don't know or can't bother to undo.

xubuntu doesn't completely equate to ubuntu to be quite honest. But I do get your point.

Also, I thought OpenSUSE was similar to arch in terms of stability? Sorry, I didn't look much into OpenSUSE so I don't have much info.

What's so great about redhat though that it's being mentioned a bit. Serious question. My knowledge only extends to debian based and arch.

if i had to choose between ubuntu and debian, debian of course....

Try out Rosa Linux, Korora 24 (not 25), and OpenSuse each for like a month.
One thing you will notice is no ppa dependency fuckery like in buntu, Rosa, Mageia and Korora keep "tainted" repos for nonfree shit. They also all have superior hardware support.
Debian is especially terrible at video in general.
Cinnamon is recommended for similar reason: simple like xfce but with working compositing and proper dual monitor and audio mixer support.
Arch and the most current non-rawhide Fedora are buggy testing garbage.

Try some out, you'll see.
I recommend Rosa, Korora, and Mageia especially. Nonfree repo for OpenSuse CAN be problematic, but even so is less bullshit than ppa.

I'll definitely keep those in mind! Thank you!

Poor bait, but Wheezy's 4 years old.
3/10

That's a bad question, because you didn't specify your use case. I actually have both installed - Debian + Xfce for myself, and Xubuntu on a computer used by lots of others. They're both better than the other choice for those use cases.

If you want something that just works, go with Xubuntu. If you have special autistic needs (like ultra-stable or rolling release, not installing parts of Xfce you don't want in the name of Bloat, keeping all your packages Free-as-in-Stallman, etcetera) Debian is a better choice.

Compare that with antix, which one you think is better

I have an idea: don't use a ppa.

Ubuntu and Debian still have the highest number of packages available in their repos, both free and non-free, so you might not need them at all.

OpenSUSE has two releases: Leap and Tumbleweed. Leap is a stable release with 2 years of support, while Tumbleweed is an unstable Rolling Release with bleeding-edge packages.

Leap is pretty comfy and the wiki is very good. You'll miss YaST in other distros, I guarantee.

OpenBSD + dwm/i3

DELET THIS

Give me one good reason not to install OpenBSD right now. I double dare you.

Let's start with a pro: the puffer fish is kawaii

Ubuntu for convenience, Debian for stability. You can compile programs for pretty much anything but having a package is more convenient.
I'm on Solus right now. Great distro but it's repos are tiny. You start to appreciate packages more when you can't do your work because you're compiling something.

Because it's a long and autistic process because sane installers are bloat.

nvidia gpu

It's really time to dispense with the Arch = lol enjoy your broken Xorg maymay. I have been using Arch full time for over a year and it has been stable and required very little administrative intervention because of updates. Just things like moving a *.pacnew configuration file and making a couple of edits if a software package has had a major upgrade. Maybe once every 2-3 months.

Anyway, opensuse Tumbleweed is their rolling release version that might be comparable to Arch. Their main version isn't rolling release and is stable.

To answer the question in OP, if your priority is stability and your choices are Ubuntu or Debian, I guess go with Debian stable. Your software will be quite old, but well tested. I don't recommend Debian testing, because it does not consistently receive security updates. Testing and sid are for people who want to help the Debian project by testing newer software and reporting bugs. There are better options for daily drivers.

I haven't used OpenBSD much, but I was pleasantly surprised by its installer. You can make it long and autistic if you disagree with all its suggested choices, but it usually shouldn't take long or be hard.

Neither, stop being a faggot and Install Opensuse Tumbleweed with KDE

hardware acceleration

I have an AMD APU lappy, will open bsd work?

A desktop interface that is not autism-tier.

inb4 pretty desktops are "bloat".

Most heavy-duty GNU interfaces like KDE and Gnome ARE bloated as fuck though, you can have a decent interface that doesn't feel bloated and sluggish Take Windows for example

debian started as a simple linux for the masses
masses demand more features
has to add bloat programs to compete.
becomes slow.
centos/redhat started as a simple debian for the masses
becomes slow.
ubuntu started as a simple centos/redhat for the masses
becomes slow.
xubuntu started as a simple ubuntu for the masses
becomes slow.
debian+xfce hailed as a simple xubuntu for the masses
becomes slow.
mint marketed as a simple debian+xfce for the masses
becomes slow.
puppy hailed as a simple mint for the masses
masses demand more features....

Every fucking OS I see has a "designed as lightweight, more user friendly version of X" as its history.

Is there any point in the future when we can just agree that it is impossible to design simple OS for the masses because they need certain idiot proofing features that can't be simple?

How much autism does OpenBSD require compared to Slackware? I always wanted to try it out.

u wot

debian + gnome 3 is superior tbh.

those menus too many of you faggots demand encourage nothing but clicking. gnome encourages using the keyboard. learn your cli and debating over environments becomes purely pathetic. sage because op is inane.

Im on Xubuntu and tried Debian+ XFCE and prefer Xubuntu THB. Everything just werks. But I am a Linux pleb so take that as you will.

I am running OpenSUSE Leap on my work PC and zypper is super nice.

So just install XFCE then?

templeOS is simple and lightweight

is that the default XFCE look in debian? it's pretty eye friendly. Your kernel is ancient tho.

actually devuan+xfce

Having used Xubuntu for the last 6 years, It's a piece of shit on my laptop. No option to shutdown bluetooth automatically on start-up, half the time wifi doesn't work coming out of sleep, and logging out sometimes causes the screen to go back (can't even switch to another view by pressing ctrl+F#), and when I wake it from sleep when connected to another monitor, half the time it crashes.

God damn shame. Only reason I put up with it is that all DE's are fucking garbage on Linux. This is a sad fact. I'd like to use KDE, but the fact that it needs a fucking load screen just to start the DE is a joke.

Should have mentioned, I'm using an X201 with an i5, SSD, and 8gb ram.

If anyone has had better luck with another distro/de, let me know.

askubuntu.com/questions/452826/wireless-networking-not-working-after-resume-in-ubuntu-14-04

Ctrl+Shift+F#. Remember Ctrl+F# is only for when you're already in a TTY.

See above, get an RPM distro and use Cinnamon.
Easiest would be Korora

No hypervisors with pcie passthrough support.

That's an extremely specific and rare use case.

It's my use case, and on linux it lets you have full performance windows games in a VM. I think it's a pretty good reason not to use openBSD.

Neither.

install gentoo

GNOME encourages Applefag mouse users

Definitely not as niche as you'd think.
It's the deal breaker for me too.

i prefer MATE or lxqt or lxde myself

xfce

I've been using nothing but Linux distros on X201, and I only had some very minor annoyances when I was running vanilla Arch but that's because I didn't know how to implement everything by myself. Since leaving Arch I've been using Mint Cinnamon and it works really great by default. Try Mint 17.3 or 18.1.
Bluetooth can be shutdown on boot through various means, e.g. you could add "rfkill block bluetooth" somewhere, or you could modify /etc/bluetooth/ configs. Just search the web.

Compiz.

I upgraded my korora install from 24 to 25 a few weeks ago and am curious why you say specifically 24. Any reason in particular or just stability?

Not him, but I don't miss it at all. I just hate apt-get and snap that is trying to replace it

GNOME encourages Cortanafag mouse users

GNOME encourages faggot views

I give you 3:
No apt-transport-tor.
No apt-transport-https.
No 32-bit software on 64-bit edition = no games.

I hope it is enough for you because I don't have more.

Debian+xfce is better
You shouldn't use any distro which doesn't have a dedicated security team.