Yellowstones and volcanoes

In *THE OTHER CHAN* there was a somewhat successful thread concerning yellowstone, the outlook, and before it got archived to hell and back, discussion on other volcanoes around the world.

I'm something of a geologist (According to my degree) with Volcanology as a background. So I figured I'd migrate discussion over here. I'm gonna be up until noon Eastern (It's now about 1am local) so I have about 11 hours in which to answer any questions and offer preparedness advice for you preppers (I, admittedly, am a bit of a prepper).

So, Yellowstone, volcanoes, and preparedness general.

Other urls found in this thread:

americanpreppersnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Volcanic-Ash-Fall-Preparedness-Checklist.pdf
archive.is/n24ct
archive.is/PUGYU
archive.is/2qC7e
archive.is/4tccu
quora.com/How-many-indoor-plants-do-I-need-in-a-600-sq-ft-apartment-to-provide-me-with-enough-oxygen-to-live-and-will-I-provide-enough-co2-for-them
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer
archive.is/Wajvd
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You being a geologist has no bearing on the topic. When that baby blows we're all gonna die, & there's nothing that can be done about it. What do you want me to do, move to europe beforehand?

Well, here's the question.
If you had the chance to get educated on what the signs of an impending eruption look like, would you like to have that? That way you'd know in advance what's afoot and take action before SHTF?

If so, I can offer that advice.
If not, then move along~

How much do yellow stone produce the ash if it erupt?

I suppose so, but how do you know in advance with 100% certainty? Avoiding a supervolcano would take all your assets to go to the other side of the planet, & even then the world would be pretty fucked due to the ash fucking up the ozone.

If you're wrong & nothing happens you end up broke in some bumfuck nowhere country. I'm not saying there's no topic here, but this doesn't seem like politics to me.

Well that all depends. If you have a full on Eruption, about 2500 cubic kilometers of ash, gas, and lava in the form of tuff and the likes.
The picture linked shows the deposition of said ash based upon this 2500 cubic kilometer number.
Here's the thing:
If only 125 cubic kilometers of magma was considered eruptible, it could cause a chain reaction, thus destabilizing the whole thing. At present, it is unknown how much magma beneath Yellowstone at this time is considered eruptible, but thankfully, it doesn't look like enough to set off an eruption, Below 25 cubic kilometers of magma, there wouldn't be any kind of eruption.

It's worth noting that the reason Yellowstone is so damn terrifying is that it is essentially drilling through the continental crust, turning Granite and other Silica rich rock into magma. A good rule of thumb is that the more silica, the more violent the eruption. This is why Hawaii's eruptions are so chill. Comparatively, there's not a lot of silica in the lava, so it just kind of seeps out.

Could we possibly survive a yellowstone eruption? Like, if I was at the tip of Florida, or vacationing somewhere in the tropics? Would the ash still JUST up the weather so bad that we'd all die anyway?

There are three things to look out for:
increased CO2 being emitted (And SO2 as well)
Uplift that is much faster than the usual amount.
Harmonic tremors.
In the image linked, section D provides the best example of a harmonic tremor. The main shock has ended, but instead of returning to background (In terms of earth motion) you see that there is the pattern that looks like Humming if you will. As if there's something that's still moving. This is the evidence of magma on the move.

Leading up to the three big ones, you would have uplift of 3 meters or more, increased heat near the surface, and more earthquakes.

But if I were a betting person, I would put money on harmonic tremors as the surefire sign of imminent volcanic activity.

Though I will say that your best bet for avoiding the worst of things would be to head south. Florida, Texas, etc. There you could ride out the mess and only get a little affected. If you fly to the other side of the world, all you would be doing would be staving off the inevitable since the plume of something like yellowstone would circle the globe in the northern hemisphere.

Yellowstone erupts during the upcoming Solar Minimum = Ice Age.

The frost is our domain.

Please read Rule 4 in sticky thread

We as humanity have survived multiple bouts with super eruptions. 75000 years ago we had the Toba eruption. It's worth noting though that populations plummeted following the eruption and our genetic code shows the bottleneck phenomena. Which suggests we nearly went extinct. But yes, it is easily possible to survive a super eruption. In the case of Yellowstone, as long as you are within the 1-3 ash thickness in the picture above, you will have no problem surviving. Though things might get tough. So It's usually better to be near alternate food sources. Southern Florida, the tropics, etc will not have significant ash fall, though the ecology will take a hit as a result of the changed climate (Called volcanic winter) so harvesting fast reproducing species would be preferable.

Thanks for citing. I guess this isn't politics per se, though political pressure is a big influence in giving the original thread. Especially since it can be counted as one of the "Happening" ones.

In the future I'll open a thread on the appropriate board.

To be fair, almost every other board is dead compared to Holla Forums. I don't blame you.

Looks like the original 13 colonies will survive. I'm in Jew York myself. How do you even prepare for this shit? How much of it overlaps with normal prepping? Will it be possible to make shelters in the 1-3 inches of ash zones that are ash free? Should I expect bandits?

If there was a /sci/ board, I'd probably post there. Though elsewhere I was posting in the technology boards before /sci/ came about. Even then, NASA and launch coverage seemed to be favored on /g/ since it became a tradition to follow every launch and invent bullshit memes over stupid shit.
/sci/ always felt… too high off its own stink and considered geology not to be a topic worth discussion despite the advances in the field over the last decade. I think they were trying too hard and going for pure theoretical physics despite not seeming to have a grasp on the matter.

From what I've seen though, it seems like Holla Forums would want to have an occasional thread like this since there are preppers and people who understand that the news downplays situations. So it seemed the fair thing to give people information that would be useful so that they can see through the haze of propaganda.

That's my take at least.

This is a fine topic. somewhere along the way our mods became jewish faggots that anchor all the interesting threads and more recently anything that criticizes Trump for "D&C"

I think it need more than one yellowstone eruption to cover most of the earth to trigger another Ice Age but I would be wrong.

Yeah making shelters isn't the problem as much as getting air filtration, and water filtration as well. See, the big problem with the ash fall zones is that this stuff is tiny. a few microns across and freaking jagged. If you inhaled this stuff, it would combine with the water in your lungs and create a cement. But before that, it would tear apart your air sacs, do damage to your throat, and if it gets in your eyes, it will scratch them all to hell and back.
So on top of normal prepping, you would essentially be adding in ash removal (even 1-3 cm of ash mixed with water is enough to bring down roofs and the likes. ) eye protection, respiration, water filtration, and protection for your animals should you have livestock.

A major thing that would be needed would be for the southern Hemisphere to be affected as well. There is more open ocean down that way, so it acts as something of a heat sink. This mitigates the loss of sunlight up north to a limited extent. Truth of the matter though, is that sulfur dioxide is the bigger concern. Ash is fine and great for a short term, but sulfur dioxide is an aerosol which blocks shortwave radiation from reaching the surface. Without this, there is not nearly as much tropospheric warming as there should be. This is an effect we actually saw with Pinatubo. Because of the sulfur dioxide in the air, global temperatures briefly (For like 2 or so years) dropped half a degree or so. I don't have the exact numbers on hand, so take this as a ballpark number. However, looking up "Pinatubo cooling" should point you in the right direction.

Ahh, the Goyim strike again. I just broke up with a jewish woman. She was insane.

Also, the pics I've been posting are from a Volcano in Japan I studied for a while called Osore-zan which literally means Mountain of fear. It's located by Mutsu in the Aomori Prefecture of Japan.

Shit. Bottled water only lasts for so long. How do you recommend we filter it? Any kind of brands? Or does it have to be a scientific filter that would be expensive to get? I guess this goes for filtering air too. Id imagine I would have to shovel my roof off like with lots of snow. Maybe seal up all of the windows in my house and only get oxygen through filtered vents?

Honestly I might just kill myself if yellowstone erupts.

That's actually kind of a tough question and depends upon how far you wish to go with the matter. If you have to devise a method on the fly, having a tank with a layer of sand followed by gravel is sufficient to filter out ash. A number of the regular water filters for farm and country use already do this as country water where I live have a large amount of Sulfur in the water itself.
As a joking aside, I can say that Brita water filters do in fact do the job well. I've seen pepsi be turned into regular water through one of those things…

Your normal home filters are designed for things like dander and dust and other larger particulates, so you'd have to Get a filter equivalent to the CE N95, or CE N100 style air respirators.
Luckily, the American Preppers network have come up with an abbreviated list that should help in that regard.
americanpreppersnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Volcanic-Ash-Fall-Preparedness-Checklist.pdf

You could just walk outside and sit down. Inhaling the ash would make you feel tired because you stop getting air to your lungs causing asphyxiation. If you are close, the ash will be hot, but it will essentially turn you into a pompeii person. So you could essentially become a silent memorial to the horrors of a super volcano.

Just sayin.

Don't start that shit.
Holla Forums is a culture of skeptical minds that discuss meaningful topics (usually).
The goal is, ultimately, quality discussion.
On occasion it's fine to go a bit off topic.

That said, OP isn't really saying much we don't already know.
Pick up the pace OP.

No need to get hype yet but here are some cool news links about our Yellowstone -

- "Yellowstone Has Bulged as Magma Pocket Swells":
archive.is/n24ct

- "Scientists Discover Massive New Magma Chamber Under Yellowstone":
archive.is/PUGYU

- No, you can't stop it from happening:
archive.is/2qC7e

- "Yes, Yellowstone's Roads Just Melted. No, There's No Reason to Panic":
archive.is/4tccu

Notice the "I wouldn't worry about it, goy" pattern.

Use aquifer inside your house.

What is the certainty of the eruption happening within the next 5~10 years? Then 1~5 years? Then

Quads confirm - Kek likes his water source INSIDE

It doesn't have to cover the Earth if it coincides with the aforementioned Solar Minimum.

The window of time the eruption has to do that is indefinite.

Rest in peace Amerifats.

I'm in LA, how dead am I?

I think Alaska, being protected partially from ashfall by mountain ranges, will be in decent shape.

Very. Just look at the map.

Just as dead as Wyoming, it'll just take a little while longer so you can watch your impending doom.

If you're gonna die that way hopefully you make a great JoJo pose.

I'll have to check those purifiers out when I get home. Are they the kind I should just buy tons of? Or is it possible to clean a filter and reuse it? I don't want to sound Jewish, but I'm trying to think of renewability. The sand is fucking clever and probably better than any commercial purifier. I actually really like Britain, they use carbon purifiers right? Is that good for water? I had a water bottle with a carbon purifier in it, dealt with really iron-y sink water but never tried with ash.

Checked. Not sure what you mean.

Oh please use your brain.

Based on any predictions you've seen/heard/made, would I be safe moving to Maine, perhaps to its most Eastern reaches, like Acadia. That's pretty far, right?

It looks pretty close to the 3-10 area, could I not escape there?

Digging the ground for water in your home in case you run out of water or cannot access the water from the outside of your house.

There's basically no valid reason to sage this.

It's a fine thread with good info.

How fucked is Britbong?

Gotcha. It's been so long since I played Dorf Fort but how could I forget Aquifers? Assuming you had a way to filter air, you could just dig down into your basement, make a well, and never leave your house until supplies run out. Kinda like Dorf Fort when you think about it. Could be a great backup if I run out of filters.

3-10 still spells doom if you're not prepared.

Which you won't be if you just gtfo of L.A. without having a place ready for it.

Unrelated, but West Coast people are weird.

Numbing my question. I just wanna know how much time I have. I can't run after all and want to face death like a man.

Yellowstone will be an inside job. False flag eruption triggered by Jew owned space lasers.

/k/ is always interested in that sort of thing as well.

If the super volcano doesn't get you, the Fukushima radiation will.

I remember the roads melted links. Interesting stuff though kinda meaningless in the end. It's understandable that they use the "Don't worry about it" mantra. Each of these events don't really mean much unless if there is the precursers for eruptive activity as mentioned above.

Eh, 1 in 600,000. It's going to happen, the problem is, that it's almost impossible to predict more than a few days or a few weeks out. This is a major limitation in Volcanology and prior to St. Helens, it was impossible to predict an eruption at all.

If it erupted, you wouldn't have to worry so much about ash and the likes as you would have to worry about mass rioting and looting. I know the LA basin. You look at someone wrong and they will riot.

Depends on what you want to be honest. I'm keeping things at the basics because I don't want to overestimate or underestimate anyones knowledge. If I began talking about how seismic tomography is only beginning to give us an impression of partial melt ratios, I might loose someone. So I don't want to talk over peoples heads, nor do I wanna come off as cocky.

I'm including this picture from Kuji Japan I took not too long ago. In it, you can see the white band of rock. If you look VERY closely, you can see my tiny ass figure as a scale. This was taken 30 miles away from a volcano called Towada-ko which erupted about 25000 years ago or so and created a massive caldera. That was rated as a VEI 6. Even at 30 miles away, you can see that the ash deposit alone was 60 or so feet thick. That was the result of 10 cubic kilometers of material being erupted. So…. if you then scale up accordingly, that is what you'd get about 500-1000 miles out or so depending on a few factors like wind and erupted material.

OK OP,

Ignore the newfag/summerfag/latestexodus fags, this thread is fine on Holla Forums, in fact its one of the more interesting lighter threads of recent.

is it possible that an eruption be triggered manually?

'murica has mountain ranges that at least would partially contain the ash.

Poor landlocked people.

I doubt it. Any breach would be pretty much instantly sealed.

Hey OP, I've got a question.

I know you cannot predict the time of an eruption but can you say anything about the likely size of an eruption? When Yellowstone eventually goes, exactly how big is the eruption going to be?

Also, how will this affect people living on the other continents?

Use Moss on the wall to convert co2 to o2.

Picture related

Weeks if it crosses the equator. That comes down to climatology when it comes to ash and aerosols hopping the equator.
Many. I'm going to include a few that have erupted within the last 400,000 years and give VERY brief descriptions.
Whakamaru within the Taupo volcanic zone in New Zealand. It erupted 2000 cubic kilometers. Not much is really known about this eruption
Lake Toba erupted 75000 years ago. This caused a genetic bottleneck and nearly drove early humans into extinction.
Oruanui eruption in New Zealand. 1150 cubic kilometers.
Mount Aso in Japan, 600 cubic kilometers
Sakurajima in Japan actually sits in the caldera of a massive super volcano.
Kurile Lake Russia was rated a VEI 7.
Tambora in indonesia. This one was a VEI 7. It's famous for being the cause of the year without a summer 150 years ago. This one received particular fame as being the cause of the french revolution and the event that kept Mary Shelly inside and prompted her to write Frankenstein.
There are many around the world including long valley in California. Indonesia is well known as a volcanic hotspot due to the massive plate collisions going on there.

It's worth noting that the Yellowstone hotspot has essentially blasted a path through the Rocky mountains in the past few million years.

When it comes to the size of an eruption, the initial eruption will be VEI 5 or about 10 cubic kilometers of magma. Based upon seismic tomography, you can get a general sense of how much eruptable material may be within the caldera itself. If there is a massive pocket of slow arrival times, that could be upwards of 125-150 cubic kilometers. But lower than that, it would not be enough to set off a massive eruption.
Right now, Yellowstone has about 15% eruptible material, this is in a caldera with the following dimensions:
the magma chamber is 90 km. length is between 5 and 17 km. deep.
With that all in mind, 50% is required for an eruption. At that stage, it will be about 125-150km cubed material, which will be enough to set off a VEI 8 eruption. So best numbers are between 600km cubed and 2000 km cubed.
So for the time being (And barring a sudden intrusion of fresh basaltic magma from the far depths), we are a ways off, though anything happening within the region (Say an earthquake swarm that causes faulting) can trigger a small to moderate (Up 10 10Km cubed) eruption, but not be enough to set off the big one.

>mfw ashraiders consider the cum rags from the before-time the greatest delicacy

Well then.
I… officially know what being grossed out feels like.

Apparently, there was news stating the magma chamber was "Recharging"

Not sure it were reliable, but let's say it's true.

What then?

Anons you're forgetting the most important question: How long after the eruption until we evolve into Dunmer?

See:

You'll get a taste of Balmora then.

Any useful guides like how many square feet you'd need per adult? I always thought using plants would be too slow but I like this idea. Checked a few sources but most of them were memes. This guy gets it. quora.com/How-many-indoor-plants-do-I-need-in-a-600-sq-ft-apartment-to-provide-me-with-enough-oxygen-to-live-and-will-I-provide-enough-co2-for-them

Uh I am confused. If you dig far away from your home then you need to watch for the pipes.

I want it to catch EVERYBODY by surprise. No warning, no time to mitigate the damage.

No time to mitigate the happening.

Well over time you would see the magma chamber slowly fill with more basaltic material which would interact with the granite overlaying rock, which creates Rhyolite (Basically what would normally become granite if it were to cool slowly). Since Rhyolite is more explosive, it would cause deformation to go from .05 meters above baseline (Where it is now) to about 3-4 meters above baseline with locally higher elevation changes in the regions where the pockets of eruptive magma (Or pods) would form.
This pattern of inflation is seen on virtually every volcano in existence. Even Hawaii. You would see a pattern of increasing seismic activity with all this injection. It would start deep (Earthquake depths) but then get progressively shallower until it was only a few miles beneath the surface. Then you would see it more or less stop at a set depth for a while. But then you would begin seeing harmonic tremors as continued magma comes pouring in to this stopping depth.
Above ground, you would see increases in CO2 and SO2. Lots of dead trees, the geysers and such would begin changing eruptive patterns (Or stop all together). You'd see major hotspots in areas not normally geothermal in nature (Along certain roads near geysers, you see asphalt melting often, but if you had melting in say a random back road that's not near a geyser or hydrothermal vents, then you'd be in trouble). Fumerols (Or places that vent volcanic gases) would experience temperature increases. From 100 celsius to over 500 celsius.
Seismic activity would continue to ramp up (But not neccesarily get stronger, as St. Helens showed us) to the point where a moderate earthquake would eventually signal the start of an eruption. Then a pattern of unzipping from various vents around the caldera (It would be from the edges first since those are the weakest zones) would begin releasing the magma into the atmosphere.

Pictured is an example of a fumerol. My hand is present for scale.

If it happened in 1970, we would have almost no warning. Since St. Helens, Volcanology has accelerated as almost warp speed. We now have a large enough body of evidence to know what to expect. Optimistically, we would have weeks of lead time before an eruption.

Give me the advice bls

I don't have a useful guide for co2-o2 calculation but if there is not enough co2 for the plants then lit some slow burning candles. Fire is very good at producing co2. I like the link you gave me.

No dude. Look up the The Year Without Summer of 1816.

The volcanic eruption in Mount Tambora in the Dutch East Indies caused a severe climate drop and the following summer to be nearly nonexistent. It was a powerful eruption, but nowhere near a super volcano. If the data coming in is right, with data pointing towards a new Solar minimum coming, an eruption will have much bigger consequences.
The last time there was a minimum Europe had a mini Ice Age.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

Apparently, the process you described would not take long according to (((mainstream sources))):

- "Supervolcano Magma Chambers Recharge In Just 500 Years":
archive.is/Wajvd

Is there a chance it could occur more quickly than this?
We already know Yellowstone's pressure is high enough for shit to go down.

This is awful, destroy all your research. You scientists shouldn't be playing Kek.

Only weak worms fear the return of what created Europeans and Asians in the first place.

We Ice Age now.

Counter-slide bump.

Unless you have the funds, I'd say it's a wasted venture.

Better to move to a place that won't be affected so much.

I welcome the eruption.

I oppose this scientists attempt to minimize happening.

Well, given that the chamber is 15% eruptable right now, anywhere from 115 years to 275 years is entirely possible provided that you had continuous intrusions of fresh magma every year.

Like, 95% of this shit is fucking around and legendary bants.
"Hey, Neil, why don't you stick your fucking foot in the lava flow and see what happens"
"Holy shit Ames, my foot caused a zone of cooling and partial solidification"
"Shit we need a name for this"
Whatever Whatever. We do what we want.

There's nothing they can do.

Read 3rd link

It is impossible to stop our mother nature from doing her job. She will punish us severely if we try to do that.

He means to warn people so they can evacuate.

Maybe we'll see it happen just before we die.

I'd still like to be an ashraider though, minus the cumrags

Too bad.

Most won't make it out in time.

And Jews won't survive what comes after.

How many super volcanoes are there?

Read:

There are 6 known active super volcanoes:
Yellowstone
Long Valley (California)
Valles Caldera (New Mexico)
Lake Toba (Indo)
Taupo Caldera (New Zealand)
Aira Caldera (Sakurajima Japan)

What a time to be alive that would be.

Do you think after society completely collapse, after thousands of years, they would speak of our civilization as they spoke of Atlantis?

Will they use us as an example of people punished for hubris before the gods?

I dont fucking care

Go the fuck back to the hell you came from you retarded cuck mongoloids

It will happen someday…..not today

something like a nuke might set it off…..like when the US goes to war with China

Well, hopefully the seeds of the teachings of Kek survive.

What we ought to do is preserve knowledge.

Which one is first to erupt?

I'd wager either Yellowstone or Toba.

K

I doubt a nuke would set it off to be honest. You are talking about 5-10 km of rock overlying the chamber with only 15% of the chamber being eruptable.

Predicting which one will erupt next is like taking a dart and randomly throwing it while drunk. All have the capability of blowing big time, though I would argue that Japans is least likely to blow given that it has a continuously erupting Sakurajima. IDK, probably Long valley or New Mexico.

this whole thread is a crock of shit, israel will be torn apart as it has the biggest faultline, vulcanologist my ass. enjoy more cia brainwash brought to you by israel.

time to die, kikes
god wills it

God may will it. But kek doesn't.

How much is an eruption from the Japan one going to hurt America?

Those dubs…

They will speak of the Mighty Nation of the Eagle that rejected Kek's most beloved son, the God Emperor, and therefore sent to Hell.

But how would could we live without our Chimpouts? :(

Prepare to accept non-white American refugees for maximum diversity.

kek a tool of god. if you haven't figured that one out by now then no one can help you.

Like Fukushima, the distance is your friend. Lake Towada erupted at VEI 7 intensities (The picture of the ash deposits here are from Lake Towada) but no ash correlating to that eruption was found in the U.S.

…conversely, I was there for the big one in 2011. The uptick in volcanic activity since the earthquake has interested me greatly.

and nothing of value will be lost.

try to weasel your way out of that
kek will be watching your ass getting hammered

the dubs are with his sages. no cuck yourself.

Nah, your usurpous Jewish demon YHWH is no other God's master.

Kek turns his wrath on El Elyon/El Shaddai/Elohim/YHWH/Yaldabaoth/Samael/Moloch.

The God of the Jews, Muslims, and Christians will be smitten back to non-existence.

…Did I just accidentally channel the will of Kek or something?

Possibly.

Expend that wee bit o energy towards Yellowstone pl0x.

Well, I'm calling the thread dead. It's 5am local time, and I still have 7 hours till I get off work and head home.
Working the night shift can be suffering at times. Especially if you didn't get much sleep the day before.

If one thing is for sure it's that when something heats up, it expands, and when it cools it contracts, When the sun becomes less active (or we block its heat becuz global warming) the earths crust should contract and crack, this should trigger some interesting events such as eruptions and quakes

I know the feeling m8, I have to go to the docs before work and I haven't slept yet. 12 hour shifts blow when this shit pops up

bump for interest.

Ash raiders?

Like raiders from Fallout but covered in ash?

ur ded

No, you're safer going to its West. The prevailing winds in North America are Westerly, meaning the ash cloud will very quickly cover the Eastern half of the USA, particularly the Northeast e.g. Maine.

Preparedness for what? There's no indication of an eruption any time in the near future.

People have been claiming that Yellowstone is going to kill us all for the last 100-150 years. They always say "soon" and "imminent" and "get ready, faggots!"

I've stopped believing doomsday prophets. They're 100% wrong 100% of the time.

if you believe those jews who say we have nuttin to worry about, you should be dead>>7042447

You're going to go to your grave as a very old man, fully prepared for a happening that never happened.

All those canned beets and piss jars won't matter in the end.

better be prepare than scared, huh user?