Free Software Thread

Let's introduce each other to quality free software. I'll start.

FreeCAD

freecadweb.org/

FreeCAD is a parametric 3D modeler made primarily to design real-life objects of any size. Parametric modeling allows you to easily modify your design by going back into your model history and changing its parameters. FreeCAD is open-source and highly customizable, scriptable and extensible.

FreeCAD is multiplatfom (Windows, Mac and Linux), and reads and writes many open file formats such as STEP, IGES, STL, SVG, DXF, OBJ, IFC, DAE and many others.

Other urls found in this thread:

meshlab.net/
184.106.205.13/arcteam/ppt.php
gnu.org/software/emacs/
soulseekqt.net/news/node/1
museek-plus.org/
vim.org/
8ch.net
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Here's a picture of FreeCAD. It can do sketches, parametric modeling, drafting, and even has 3-axis CAM under development. It is possible to extend FreeCAD's functionality using your own Python scripts. Compares well to commercial software costing $600+ dollars.

Meshlab

meshlab.net/

Edit STL files, repair, remesh, construct surfaces from a point cloud and more!

Python Photogrammetry Toolbox

184.106.205.13/arcteam/ppt.php

Take pictures of an object and create 3-D models with color

GNU/Emacs

gnu.org/software/emacs/

Legends says that this piece of software craftsmanship was bestoved upon mortals by gods themselves. Such power can not be approached lightly. Several greedy apprentices have tried to harvest this power only to find themselves tormented by the curse of Canalls Carpi, which is said to cause incredible pain in the wrist area. Only those who prepared themselves by learning Elisp incantations and meditating in the highest of the mountains achieved enlightenment and became one with the editor.

Feels annoying man

Look for an extension that preserves specific cookies.

Free as in free beer, soulseekqt.net/news/node/1 is bretty good for music, and there's a libre alternative at museek-plus.org/
>namefags
>making a good thread
am I in reverso world?

Vim.

vim.org/

A Legendary text editor that does not try to sell you a way of life, or force you to eat GNU/ToeCheese to master.

Unless you count shilling for muh poor starving Ugandan kangs as a way of life.

It does that more so than Emacs. Emacs will happily let you live your life another way, including the vim way. Emacs has been shipping with emulation modes for other editors for ages, including vi and Wordstar emulation, and many people use vim emulation solutions like evil-mode and Spacemacs. But how many people use a completely different set of keybindings in vim?

You would do this if your keyboard isn't QWERTY. Otherwise, vim is designed so working with the default keybinding is comfy as fuck.
The truth of the matter is that evil mode exists and vimacs mode doesn't because vim has a superior user interface. Since Emacs has feature creep I'm sure there are cases where using it would be preferable, but not for most people.

By that logic Notepad is best editor ever created.
The truth of the matter is that nether Vim mode or Emacs mode exist because Notepad has superior user interface. Since Vim and Emacs have feature creep I'm sure there are cases where using them would be preferable, but not for most people.

emacs is fucking garbage

YOUR FUCKING GARBAGE

VS Code is open source and superior to vim, emacs, atom, nano, and sublime. Editorfags getting BTFO left and right by Microsoft.

And which logic would that be, my butthurt friend?

If you want a good, capable terminal-mode text editor without insane keybindings, use joe. It's been around forever.

If you want a good, capable gui-mode text editor that's also a good programming IDE, use geany. To use it as a genereric text editor you can just change a few settings, turn on wordwrap, etc.

If you want a decent desktop publishing environment, the combination of scribus, gimp, and inkscape isn't bad.

If you want to compose music, and you know music notation, musescore is actually pretty good. Fluidsynth has some fairly good free soundfonts if you look around. Audacity is ok for recording audio. Rosegarden isn't bad for creating midi music.

For all your encryption needs, cryptsetup is hard to beat.

What about, say, the need to encrypt a file before I e-mail it to a friend?
I'm not criticizing cryptsetup, it's just not as general as you make it sound.

VS Code looks like Hipster Cancer trash. Get that crap outta here.

That's because it is. It's forked from atom or or sublime or something

wat?

a thumbnail the size of your penis

I learned vim before emacs, and I prefer emacs with its default keybindings by far. they are only uncomfortable if you don't use the keyboard properly.

says the apologist for an editor that reinvented the wheel with its own spell-checker, instead of integrating with external tools like hunspell or ispell

would that be the crippleware version of VS...?

...oh, I see.

they got some cool free games on the app store like sonic dash and angry birds hd

MP3tag - THE best id3 tag editor. Powerful automation features, and can write tags to or from file names. Windows only.... And then this nigger goes and makes some kind of self contained wine applet that enables it to run on OSX.

Mp3tag.de

And I like his style too. Yes I do want to travel to the 90s!

Mp3Tag is not free software though it is the best tag editor that exists and runs great in wine

What sort of eldritch abomination of a keyboard do you use?
That's not what feature creep is, dumbass.

It's free.

Are you that elastic guy from the Fantastic Four by any chance?

GPG/PGP.

Is it libre? Or gratis only?

It's "free".

Do you think I can read your mind? Which way do you mean? Gratis or gratis+libre?
yeah yeah you baited me w.e.

I only know English, in my country we call it "free". I don't even know what you're insinuating with "baiting", you can check the site yourself if you don't believe me. Jeez.

Gratis means "It costs you no money to download and install"
Libre means "You can modify and redistribute the code"

The Libre/Gratis distinction was proposed by RMS after he realized that "free software" means different things to different people ("free as in free speech" vs "free as in free beer"). Libre/Gratis removes any such confusion.

I had enough of this. Stop it.

It's complete garbage, not worth looking at.
I mean there's zero point in using it over Sublime Text for example.

I guessed right that it only werks for MP3?
MP3 is useless inefficient deprecated format that should have died long time ago.

Vorbis kicks its ass and is supported pretty much everywhere (iThings don't count)
also there's little reason to not get original FLAC when you can

youtube-dl — grab any video from practically any website with zero hassle

ffmpeg — Swiss army knife for all media processing and/or conversion, if you become true pro at it, you won't need anything else

tesseract — OCR (can read text from images), maybe not as good as some monsters like ABBYY in general case, but usually it can be configured to reasonably handle your tasks

x264 — the prime example of when free software kicks every competitor's ass. it needs no additional comments.

Opus — same example, for low-bitrate audio

Dick pics will never be the same

Also:

XLD (os x only) — good for generating cuesheets/splitting tracks/joining tracks

WavPack — very efficient lossless audio format/codec. it can efficiently encode audio even with non-standard bit depth (like 17 and 18 bit), can encode even floating point data,
and also has hybrid lossy mode which is very good for most kinds of audio at bitrates around 300kbps (the main benefit is guaranteed absence of typical artifacts of tranform-based codecs, the only kind of possible distortion is added white-ish noise with varying intensity)

Use ffmpeg to break a video into screenshots at a time interval of your choice. Then run Python Photogrammetry Toolbox to use the images to build a point cloud. It beats taking a bunch of individual photos. I tried VisualSFM and the interface is nice, but it can only reasonably handle about 50 photos while in Python Photogrammetry Toolbox I've fed it 260 plus images at once.

So far my resultant point clouds are sparse reconstructions. I'm enjoying the fact that by using photogrammetry there is virtually no cost involved but I see the need for denser point clods to construct cleaner meshes. I'll need to seriously consider laser scanning diy projects as the commercial laser scanners are too expensive for personal use.

It works for every format that supports tagging

My issue with wv is nothing really supports it
I'll just stick with flac

Cadence, and the rest of the KXStudio applications - combine them with a realtime kernel and JACK2 built with DBus support and literally the only remaining problem with Linux for pro audio is the hassle of configuring WINE.

is there such thing?

Can it do stress modeling? I want something that can tell me when a certain piece will bend/break under a given load.

Absolutely. That used to be all that there was back in the 70s and 80s. Imagine having to buy an entire piece of equipment for two or three sounds.

Doesn't Linux still have shitty problems with up/downsampling. I ended up turning off dmixing a while back because it would fuck up every track I played. Leaving me with audio blocking lol.
Only thing worse than audio is video editing. Literally the only reason I have win 7 still installed.

What's the point in it now? All synths are perfectly simulated in software, given enough CPU horsepower.

No. All it does is draft your model, it doesn't do any simulation of stresses and load.

If not for the sound packs/fonts, and modulators, then it'd have to be for the physical interface for live playing.

Other than that, there's probably some features involving programmable synths, or downloading your fonts to the synth.

The same reason people still buy vinyl

DATA GATHERING THREADS WITH REAL EVIDENCE

I have been noticing a trend on all the boards of Holla Forums, which you should be typing in the address as 8ch.net httpS

Being a dumb hipster / underage?

reason for vinyl is different.
people hope to find there a different mastering, when they see that CD edition was brickwalled to DR6 again.

of course, in reality they'd better search for some better artists who don't let themselves be cucked by incompetent greedy producers who are like

Amazingly, a lot of software will actually run on older versions of Windows with just a few tweaks in the code. I've had a few things I wanted to run on 98, and all it took was a few line changes, or compiling in VS2005 instead of a newer version.

Yes, I'd love to travel back in time to when it was safe to run a windows .exe downloaded from the internet.

I just want my limewire wakemeup.mp3.exe back