4k is a Meme

Hey Holla Forums today I brought in my Alienware 17-R2 Laptop which has a Nvidia GTX 980M and the proprietary drivers installed and everything set up right to a Best Buy and I tested it with every single 4k monitor in their store, playing 4k videos and running Dota 2 in 4k, and using a Display Port 1.2 cable.

Every - single - 4k monitor - has screen tearing. No matter how you change the settings or what the program being run is. The 28 inch Samsung TN panel with 1 ms response time has screen-tearing (U28E590D). The 27 inch LG IPS one with 5 ms response time has it (27UD68-W.AUS). They all have it.

At home I also have a 4k 24 inch IPS Dell monitor. It too has screen-tearing.

4k is only good for displaying 4k still images, slow-panning low-contrast video scenes, reading books, and for browsing and programming where you like to have shitloads of content on one screen. At 24 inches you'll have to have it half-of-your-arm's length away because of the very high pixel density and most programs not working properly for high DPI. At 27 inches it's much more comfortable and you can at least keep it arm's length away, which is great for a desktop monitor.

As far as I'm concerned the technology has not come far enough. I wonder if 4k is inherently flawed and the technical challenges to remove screen-tearing from 4k will never be met, it's been years now that I've been testing out various 4k monitors, and though they have come down in price lots they're still shit. I will be testing out more 4k monitors and also soon I'll be trying out a 4k television with my laptop.

I think I might downgrade to a 2k monitor (perhaps a pair of them using a dual-monitor set up) if there are any good ones out there free of these problems that 4k monitors have or I'll just have to live with screen-tearing for another year, maybe two, maybe three... and hopefully the problem will finally be solved by then.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcworld.com/article/3154782/displays/nvidias-first-hdr-g-sync-monitors-are-basically-the-holy-grail-of-pc-displays.html
overclock.net/t/1620164/4k-144hz-hdr-27inch-acer-predator-xb272-hdr-and-asus-rog-swift-pg27uq
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3tki3d/gsync_on_linux_what_are_your_experiences/
devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/623255/linux/g-sync-for-linux-/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

just stop trying so hard

Explain what you mean by this?

pcworld.com/article/3154782/displays/nvidias-first-hdr-g-sync-monitors-are-basically-the-holy-grail-of-pc-displays.html

Hmmmm...

Just stop trying so hard

I am sorry but I do not understand what you mean by this. I am not familiar with niggerspeak.

Maybe the Acer Predator XB272-HDR won't have any of these problems.

overclock.net/t/1620164/4k-144hz-hdr-27inch-acer-predator-xb272-hdr-and-asus-rog-swift-pg27uq

27 inches is not ideal and they will probably find a way to fuck it up.

reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3tki3d/gsync_on_linux_what_are_your_experiences/

devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/623255/linux/g-sync-for-linux-/

nvidia fans are a joke

Nvidia has better support for Linux.

AMD is for windjews slaves.

nvidia fans are a joke

Since when does AMD properly support Linux?

You're a retard for getting scammed into buying a 900 series GPU when the 10 series is already well out and is available on many laptops already.

The Alienware most likely still costed you about as much as a 10 series GPU based laptop as well.
you got scammed, return your Alienware and if you want a gaming laptop just go for a ROG

3840x1440 master race

sage

27" "3840x2160 60.00*+" bsd master race

Literally an oxymoron.

"Gaming" laptops do make great desktop-replacement PCs for people who have limited desk space like myself, or people who just prefer the convenience over desktops. My laptop is not the most portable in the world, BUT, I get the convenience of having the screen, keyboard, and mouse all contained within one unit, having a built-in UPS in case of a power outage, all while having a desktop-class processor and the ability to fold up and go when I need to. Also depending on where you go, you can save a few hundred bucks getting a "gaming" class laptop over a "Luxury" class laptop for better specs (luxury laptops have worse cooling systems for the sake of portability vs gaming laptops and so throttle at lower temps)

I dont even know why I should use one.
I am happy with my 34' 21:9 UHD

loosh

What on earth are you wittering about?

Nvidia doesn't even work properly on Windows, as the OP aptly demonstrates.

DId you seriously recently buy a laptop with the 980M? Pascal series is the biggest leap in the last five generations for mobile GPUs. They are in 10% performance range of the desktop versions. The 1060 laptop version is faster than the 980M. If you can, return it and get one with the new generation.

Your life is a meme.

ultrawide is a meem

a dank one

yeah but support for games is pretty inconsistent

Since CS:GO getting 60~100 FPS on max settings OOTB with the OOTB drivers on a GPU from 2012

I feel like anything non-16:9 is kind of patrician in its own right

Like, I run 1440x900 on my main rig, but I can respect an ultrawide display too

Which is good because it only works on a distro and Mesa version from 2012

AMD has done far more for Linux that nvidia ever has or will.

Because having broken drivers that pretty much brick distros on 4.0 kernels and leaving the community to fend for themselves for months while they come up with a patch is surely showing love for Linux

This is why you use the OSS drivers. It performs about as well as AMD's blob now anyway.

I think he said "just stop trying so hard"

Maybe so, but you're missing the point. AMD has shit drivers even on Linux, they don't give a fuck about them.

Their cards are less locked down and they actively cooperate with the open-source drivers to make them better

You need a big screen for 4k content to be worthwhile.

Most people would be fine with just 720p.

wut?

The bait is strong with this one.

Since AMDGPU. I own RX 460 and everything works out of the box without any proprietary drivers.

what did he mean by this?

AMDGPU is the OOTB driver??
What a time to be alive tbqh

Yes, but you do need 4.8+ kernel and newest mesa to get good results.

maybe if you are obesessed with perfection youll never be happy..or something

I can kind of respect this TBH.

If I were to build a laptop, I'd probably be ridiculous and put an A10-7850K or something in it; fuck battery life

Like when their request to integrate their blob-ridden code into kernel was rejected because they heeded advice of kernel maintainers? Saying that they are better than Nvidia in that regard is not making them that much better.

I truly wish I had one 1:1 monitor

why would you want this?

Agreed, 5:4 is basically just as nice and infinitely less exotic, SXGA is at least…not unknown

Well, yeah, there is virtually no difference between a 6700K and a 6700HQ. The only difference is one lets you overclock while the other doesn't. The suffix "HQ" just means it uses BGA instead of a socket mount. They're pretty much the same exact processor, only when you shy away from the Core i series do you get actual differences, a laptop core i3 skylake is not very different from a desktop core i3 skylake, but laptop Pentium skylake could be a major difference from a desktop Pentium Skylake

still, though. I'm pretty sure human vision is adapted to see better laterally than vertically

It lets you use a 45° rotated screen comfortably

...why?

Nigger. I've personally gamed in 4k on 32" Asus monitors using DESKTOP gpus at over 100FPS

Your laptop is a piece of shit Dell. You are a poorly informed consumer who made a bad decision, and your cognitive dissonance is so great that you literally believe everything else in the world is the problem and not you/your system.

I'm waiting for Zen and the Fury GPUs to come out so I can take advantage of Freesync 2/HDR.

you're getting memed on, son.

If your refresh rate is not synced to the monitor on an LCD then you will get screen tearing. You may have been dropping a lot of frames due to fluctuating frame rate by displaying 4K resolution on an unplugged laptop with power saving enabled. Source engine games have a default cap of 300 frames per second unless vsync is enabled.

Please use the vast internet resources to educate yourself further on this issue.