*Teleports Behind You*

Psh... Nothing personal, kid.

what type of security does being on redhat offer as far as hiding your IP address?

windows user here :(

the same as every linux distro: system level proxy routing and vpn so applications that think they're going to leak your ip actually can't.

I actually really like red hat and would be pretty happy if I landed a job there.

Don't use redhat. It has ties to the NSA and has developed much software including systemd.

Go with a FOSS (Free Open Source Software) distro that doesn't use systemd and respects your privacy.

which OS would you recommend?

Ignore the windows logo, it is just for memeing.

I personally use devuan on my laptops, but you may need download firmware to make certain hardware such as the wireless chip to work.

Ignore the systemd and NSA FUD. Systemd is GPL software which means as soon as there is news of a bad feature, people will take action to fix the bad feature. This is the reality of GPL.

Why are you saying this?

To my knowledge, Systemd has never had an audit and is over 100 thousand lines of code for an init system. All of a sudden, it was adopted by many distros and cannot be easily removed.

Don't use Linux. It has ties to the NSA and has developed such software like unstable kernel namespaces.

systemd is more than just an init system
It includes multiple daemons, multiple programs to interact with those daemons, a system log, bindings, and more. systemd is a collection of daemons to manage the system, under the umbrella of PID1.
please point me to the audit of bash, and everything that goes into all of the initialization scripts on your computer, please. protip: none of it ever has been.

I'm saying this because it's GPL and the source will always be available for every single version that is published. Nobody cares to audit it now but it's all out there in the open waiting for you. This alone makes it trustworthy because if someone does take the time to put in a bad feature, other people can also take the time to change any feature.

Might as well use *BSD distros.

Free software never implies that the software is perfect. The only implication of freedom in software is that users are allowed to study, improve and share the software at any time.

It is the hard reality that software doesn't grow on trees; somebody has to take the time to develop software. I make no reservations about the reality of software development.

systemd isn't bad because it's a government conspiracy to backdoor GNU/Linux. systemd is bad because it's an affront to everything decent and good about software. Sure, there are greater security risks because of attack surface and feature creep - but if the reverse was true and sysvinit, runit, etc. were insecure and systemd was tight as a virgin, I'd still pick one of the former.

I personally use Manjaro OpenRC on my desktop, but it isn't very newfriendly. For avoiding systemd you can go with Devuan like , which is just Debian with nother init system. Most people reccommend Ubuntu derivitives like Lubuntu/Xubuntu/Ubuntu MATE or Mint for a first distro. Those all have systemd, but I'd say it's good enough for your first time if Debian isn't user friendly enough for you. You could try them all out in virtual machines if you want.

systemd is not just an init system
It eats away display managers, getty, grub and login just for a start

This post is an NSA shill post

run, don't walk, away from systemd

I like how you guys focus on innuendo and demoralization when you shill proprietary software they really open my eyes when compared to hard facts.

why exactly is manjaro not "newfirendly"

t. Tim Cook.

Install OpenBSD.