Old Technology Thread

Isn't it ironic that older computers are more loyal to their owners along with being built like a brick, impervious to damage?

Computers aren't sentient, they can't be loyal to you, autist.

Old computers don't come with bloat and don't have things such as Intel ME, 4G chips, etc.

Maybe not yours...

No computer comes with bloat, dumbass, it's installed onto it by other people. Get the fuck off our board if you're going to be tech illiterate.

That laptop looks really neat. I love that off-white colour old tech has, it has a professional feel to it.

It's like stepping into a time machine

If by loyal you mean slow as molasses, perpetually running hot and cannot do anything beyond typing documents, yes I do find it ironic that old computers are more loyal.

Even if the first thing you do with a new machine is nuke the drive and install gentoo, you still have to contend with Intel ME or AMD PSP. And that's assuming your BIOS/EFI load isn't doing fucky things, like what Lenovo was caught doing to Windows users. Things really were simpler back then.

An old computer with windows 10 is going to be slow as shit while said computer could be fast when running a minimalist OS capable of running simple software programs.

This. Later generation machines in a series especially. PPC G3s are slow as shit, but they run Mac OS 9 really fast as long as you aren't loading modern websites. Ditto with P3 machines and Win98, or Core 2 machines with XP.

I've an iPhone 3g; it's hard to imagine people's hands were that small back then. Literally a phone for ants

We beg to differ.

t. KITT, KARR, HAL9000, SKYNET, Rstein the Ingot/850 T-5R and god knows how many more of us are out there

On topic: I fucking love my N900 and I refuse to get another phone until it really dies. But is totally right, old hardware is pretty useless nowadays with modern OSes or modern sites.

Probably also the reason I don't use my web browser on my N900 often.

It was amazing, you could actually touch any part of the screen with your thumb while maintaining a good grip on it.

You should see the feature phones we had. They actually disappeared into your pocket and lasted a week on a single charge.

The good old days when Apple wasn't sacrificing hardware for slimness.

All I want is a feature phone sized device with a decent DAC and media player. I miss the multi-day battery.

You were born after 1995, that's the only way you could be so ignorant

I had a w810i, god that phone was fucking great. Call quality was excellent, so was battery life, so was durability, so was reception. Then on top of that you got a slot for memory cards and a user replaceable battery. Only thing sucked was the proprietary connector at the bottom for charging and 1/8th inch TRS.

I pick it up now and it is so fucking small compared to modern phones. What the fuck happened to technology? It looked like shit was going to be exactly what people wanted, what improved day to day life then Apple happened and everybody started copying them. Then when things couldn't possibly get less ergonomic or retarded, Sammy came out with the phablet and we have been lost in the woods ever since.

It's just that all the older computers that aren't impervious to damage broke long ago :^)

I was born in 1983 fam. Good argument.

More like 2003, faggot.

just double-touch the home button to bring the screen down :^)

I was born in 2021 fam. Good argument.

twf my gf still has that phone lel

they were fast back then little penis boy

I like smartphones. They're fucking awesome for efficiency, you can have 5-inch photos in your pocket, watch movies on a train or yotube on the bus. Typing is much better than on an old 10-button keypad, and considerably better than those tiny keyboards on blackberries. I really think your rose tinted glasses distort the past into something that it wasn't.

phoneposter detected. You're the cancer that killed chans, and really the web as a concept.

Touch screens are fucking shit, and despite years of usage I still can't get over how unintuitive they are and the lack of tactile feedback.

Well sure I use my phone to post, that doesn't mean I want to use "web3.0" and all that shit. I still insist, to this day, that dailymail.co.uk is one of the best designed sites on the web

Then you're an autist. I got over the lack of tactile feedback years ago. If you really want, you can have your phone vibrate slightly when you press a button, like I do. It's good shit. Touch screens are great on handheld devices because your finger can click the exact position of the screen you want to click.

It's not the same.

>Touch screens are great on handheld devices because your finger can click the exact position of the screen you want to click.

Except not really. The precision of touch screens are absolute trash, especially if you've got a cover to protect it. It's just frustrating. It is nowhere close to using a mouse. We could have had trackpads, or perhaps we could have had it so you could just hold down a button to scroll through pages, but no I'm stuck with normalfag nigger technology. This is why we need UMPCs.

Jesus just get a keyboard phone cover. But then again your autism is going to get triggered by something else.

The web and chans killed themselves by becoming more cancerous than apps.

Clunky != Reliable.

You're an idiot.

Underage b&
MODS

iOS was shit back then, though. So limited compared to Android of the time. It's actually better now, despite the phones getting worse.

The iPhone was massive when it came out, pic related.

That's your statement, what's your evidence?

Congratulations on being a worthless nigger and contributing to the death of what could have been great pocket sized computers instead of dumbed down children's toys with a fraction of the functionality of a regular computer. Is there even a supported browser for smartphones with script controls beyond allow/deny globally now days, integrated or available as an addon?

That's not why people want a physical keyboard you double nigger. With a physical keyboard you can feel the keys and tell where where your fingers are by touch. It's much better for typing than having to look at where your fingers are going. Do you need to look at a computer keyboard while typing on it? Portable electronics were much better when they used physical buttons for as many functions as possible so you could operate them without actually needing to look at what you were doing.

Really? The belief that all older electronics were built like a brick and therefore reliable comes from higher end products having a much better chance of surviving over time. I've handled old tech that you could beat someone to death and still have it work afterwards, I've also handled old tech that I could crush it in my hand if I wanted despite it being large and clunky (later low end portable tape players that managed to survive are a great example of this). I can find a Sony 300 CD changer at my local thrift store for $30, but that doesn't mean those were even remotely common, affordable, or a good representation of what most people owned.

If you are not a portable computer manufacturer, you have no right to talk.

I hope your relationship is going well, user. Good on you for keeping it going.
You cheeky fucker

wat