I want to load up myself with calculus and linear algebra

Just after getting a little bit drunk, I suddenly realized what do I need. I want to load up myself with calculus and linear algebra, because this is the real thing I'm currently missing.

I already know a little bit of both but it's rather sparse and erratic. I want to get a real solid understanding of it, so that I could develop complex shit like DSPs without any fear, etc. I already have several cool ideas but lack of solid math understanding keeps me away from doing them.

And I have a dilemma: where do I get started?
I think I need both (calculus and linear algebra) and also AFAIK each one of them groks easier if one knows the other. So the ideal would be a course which walks through both topics at the same time, in optimal order, with appropriate exercises, etc.

Does such 2-in-1 course exist? (which is also available for free, legally or not I don't care)

If not, then what's better to do first, calculus or linear algebra? And which courses/books/etc do you think are the best?

BTW, if that matters here, I already can actually code, in several languages, including Python which has NumPy. Even did some somewhat complex shit like 3D vidya with OpenGL, but that was without deep understanding of maths, I used stuff like matrices and quaternions only as black boxes (like "I can construct them with this and that functions, from these parameters and if I multiply them, that's simply composition of transforms they represent") without really understanding how they work and why, and the main tool was trial and error approach.

Other urls found in this thread:

tutorial.math.lamar.edu/
gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?&req=zorich analysis&phrase=1&view=simple&column=def&sort=year&sortmode=DESC
mega.nz/#F!zEUzQACI!HuGmTFIgB2S627K5m07B5g
mega.nz/#F!zVEFiRpR!PhatEKDpnKkjnI-BUkAjHg
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_logic_symbols
feynmanlectures.caltech.edu
amazon.com/Exercises-Feynman-Lectures-Physics-Richard/dp/0465060714
megatools.megous.com/
thepiratebay.org
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1055058
math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/LADW.html
math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/book.pdf
amazon.com/Mathematics-Content-Methods-Meaning-Volumes/dp/0486409163/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484854719&sr=8-2&keywords=mathematics content
amazon.com/Mathematics-Its-History-Undergraduate-Texts/dp/1461426324/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484854760&sr=8-2&keywords=mathematics and its history
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Go here: tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

Start with the highest level of math you understand, and then work through the notes, example problems, and practice problems until you want to kill yourself.

This is not a desirable result.
Is there another way?

Trust me I did this in college, there's no avoiding it. As a programmer you might also be interested in communications and signal processing, which involves a lot of things like Fourier and Laplace transformations in order to transform some kind of analog bullshit into something that a computer program can break down and process. Think digital audio and video encoding.

What does it mean? These notes aren't complete and I'm going to suck a dick even if I read through them?

No he teaches college classes and is telling his students not to skip his class.

Yeah I understood that. But if I'm not attending his college and just reading this stuff in order to get some knowledge, I'm not getting in any trouble?

Are you serious? Please tell me you're just trolling me.

Oh yeah. A little bit drunk right now, however.

Depressants and mathematics don't go together. There's a reason all the old mathematicians took meth.

It was just a coincidence, I was already drunk when I suddenly decided to go for it. Of course I won't drink at the same time as doing maths when it's planned in advance.

Mathfag here.

If your going to go into calculus, you should freshen up on your trigonometry, algebra, and geometry skills.

I would recommend these books:
Some good authors to start with when it comes to calculus are Stewart, Spivak, Etc.

You should also read a proof book:
www.people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/

these things are no problem for me, btw
(OP)

…also, thank you for other suggestions

"Trigonometry" is not just sine, cosine, and tangent.

And here's a nice sampling of what this kind of stuff ends up looking like when used in engineering.

Most stuff from the pdf is not [just] trigonometry, more like multidimensional derivatives and other cool stuff which is used not only with trigonometry
And good thing about trig functions is that they are searchable, unlike other funny notations 8)

Oh no when I said "this stuff" I meant calculus, not just trig.

Oh yeah. Then it's correct

Here are some good names, so that when you learn Calculus, you'll know it properly, not just haphazardly from some shitty set of notes from Pajeet, or some shitty textbook which is revised every year.

These are in my opinion the best Calculus and Analysis (In Europe, Analysis is treated the same as Calculus). They each have different styles, so look at them all and find one which works best for you.

I include both volumes here, because that way you can learn from the same author, and you're going to need multivariable calculus which is treated in the second volumes (Zorich starts in vol I). You can read the first books at the same time you read a linear algebra book, there isn't much co-dependency until you get to multivariable.

Of those I think Courant is the more simpler, has lots of physics applications if you like that. It's an older book though, so you may see some notation differences.

Apsotol is very nice, but at an almost autistic level of detail.

Spivak is considered a more modernized version of Courant, but doesn't have the same level of real world applications.

Zorich is my favourite here, it's a modern treatment which retains the vigour of those aforementioned classics.

Now linear algebra.

Lang, Strang, Axler, Hoffman & Kunze, and Shilov are some good options.

Since you want to explore more electrical engineering applications, I think Strang would be best, and couple it with his MIT opencourseware videos. Axler is good, but it's a very theoretical treatment. I went with a combination of Axler+Shilov. Your millage will vary.

thanks, looks tough.
what should go first, calculus of linear algebra?

Calculus first, but read it simultaneously with a linear algebra book. Also in case I didn't make it very clear, Calculus and Analysis are treated similarly in Europe, whereas in the US, those subjects are covered individually. Analysis is essentially the deeper theory behind calculus, so knowing that is a lager hurdle upfront, but it makes it much easier to transition into multivariable calculus. This is the book you should start with (top). It'll walk you through the beginning and if you complete both volumes, you'll have a very strong basis.

gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?&req=zorich analysis&phrase=1&view=simple&column=def&sort=year&sortmode=DESC

By the way, the fun doesn't end there. There's differential equations to learn as well! The Calculus book by Apostol includes some material on differential equations and linear algebra in volume II. So the two Apostol volumes might be another option for you, if you like his style.

This is the sort of thinking which keeps you earning < $100,000. Forget Pajeet, in a few years, they'll probably be teaching Jamal how to master applications of deep learning and neural networks. ayo fam u jus hook up dis fuggin api and mup da doo didda dis shit be cash af tbh. we be inernet o thangz too mane.

Oh and I almost forgot... you'll need some statistics too. Apostol also includes it, but there's plenty of good books for that too. The book by Bertsekas is a more thorough alternative though.

Finally if you think this sounds like a lot to learn, it is. There's a reason Electrical Engineering is a four year program, and they rush a lot of the Mathematics and Physics. Ivan and Wang spend that time productively, American college boys are learning how to be nu-males and decolonize their whiteness.

You might also like this book:

It's not watered down in subject matter, but it isn't as math heavy as a signal book by Oppenheim. The latter is what you want to read once you've done reading all the above by the way.

I probably started with a similar track to you. I studied computer science and mathematics in university, and later picked up more math, physics and electrical engineering books in my free time. Don't rush, and don't get too frustrated when you become stuck, things usually work themselves out after sleeping on them.

There you go user, I uploaded my archives for you
maths folder:
mega.nz/#F!zEUzQACI!HuGmTFIgB2S627K5m07B5g
entire stem folder
mega.nz/#F!zVEFiRpR!PhatEKDpnKkjnI-BUkAjHg

There are so many files there I really didn't check them all
Would be interesting to check how many exes are hiding there
Thanks for letting me know, I'll clean it up a bit, and finish uploading the rest of the files today

Have you read any of the books, or do you just horde them for "some day"?

I read most of the books which were recommended by courses I took at university.
The rest I horde for when I need some material on a certain subject, want to learn some new things, and to share with people.

Ahh. Yeah I have a well curated set of STEM books, but also several gigs of history books and other things from >>>/pdfs/. Those I horde, with the knowledge that I probably couldn't finish them all in a lifetime.

Do people really do this stuff? Like you can add, subtract multiply, what else do you need? I am a ruby programmer creating highly advanced websites with Ubuntu and I have never needed any thing advanced like the quadratic formula or trig functions. Just code your ideas man and see how they come out, why take all the fun out of it? For DSP you could import signal data into a modern database like mongo, then use the clever query functions to transform it the way you want. Perhaps there is a gem you can install if that doesn't work idunno. No need to over complicate it.

My gut feeling tells me this is a bait.
However if it isn't:
the problem is that some ideas require implementing algorithms for heavy lifting from scratch, because doing it in other way would be impossible or unbearably slow.

Does anyone know how I can look up what these symbols are?
Looking for a Mathematics Dictionary of some sort.

This crap doesn't let download everything without creating account. Can you upload somewhere else?

Also, downloading files into RAM first is stupid and doesn't work for large files.

They're logic symbols. Simple as that. Introduction to Logic by Harry Gensler or
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_logic_symbols

ey bro what the fuck is the vinculum on top of x and y like
- -
x y

so confusing

Argh you got me! There's no fooling you. Just testing if this board has truly gone off the deep end into retardation, and thankfully it has not. I thought the Signal processing in Mongo part would give me away.

If x was a 1 it would become 0 and of x was a 0 it would become a 1. I strongly suggest the Harry Gensler book as it takes a non mathematical approach to logic.

There is no such thing however. You simply get the first replies from people who happen to be walking across the board at this time. Also some people like to pretend to be dumb for the sake of trolling. It's stochastic process :D
However if all people become dumb, then it's game over, of course.

Somewhat related, what are good resources for learning calc-based physics?

Any of the good calculus books mentioned above, and the Feynman lectures.

feynmanlectures.caltech.edu (which you can read for free)

The Feynman lectures look really good! Are there not any problems with them though?

For the most part, no problems. Obviously they do not include newer breakthroughs in physics, but the content of the Feynman lectures is a prerequisite to understanding those anyways. Feynman will walk you through basic newtonian physics, electro-magnatism, and then finally all the relativity fun (Jew Physics). A nice side effect of Feynman is that he develops a lot of calculus through his exposition.

The biggest problem for a student is that they do not include any questions. You can get a Feynman physics problem book though, which supplements it nicely. I recommend that if you do like the lectures as it is a good way to gauge your understanding of the content. Strangely enough, I found that workbook in a local book store.

amazon.com/Exercises-Feynman-Lectures-Physics-Richard/dp/0465060714

Just realized that could be interpreted to say, there are no "exercise problems" with them, to which the answer is then yes, and see the above.

Trying to learn this kind of shit without attending university is hopeless. You need something pushing you, and your first, second and third instinct when confronted with higher mathematics is giving up. You'll never do it in your moms basement.

Nice try, rector

This is completely wrong. If you're in college, you'd better be taking a class because you have an impetus to learn it. Do not rely on the professor to care that you do well in his course, I have only encountered couple such teachers, and these were in 4th year classes with about 5 students in the class.

Also another problem with American colleges is that unless you are in one of the elite institutions, you're going to be given shitty American textbooks with glossy colour photos featuring niggers playing sports, and pages of filler which add nothing to the course yet the publisher includes them to justify a revision.

Not to mention, in North America you'll have to endure being lectured to by some liberal about social justice and the perils of alpha male whiteness.

I think it depends on subject and the book.
For example, I don't think anyone should go through "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Ruidn without an instructor (or at least a study group) if they don't have any experience with real analysis. And if the field is something weird like "representation theory", it might be difficult to study without an instructor you can ask for help. You could end up getting stuck if the field is too foreign, or if you don't have enough experience with mathematical proofs.
Also, some people find it hard to get themselves to self-study. I know I do.

Judging by the courses I've seen from "elite" schools like Harvard and Yale, they are far more flashy and pozzed than the textbooks I used. Then again, maybe that's just universal in first-year and gen-ed courses. The textbooks improve in quality the deeper you go into a field no matter where you're attending college.

Because even the elite schools have taken the mantle of accepting affirmative action students. The Russians had a better approach, find the smart kids and spend effort on them. In the US, they put extra emphasis on trying to make the dumb kids smarter. Never works.

A person of the adequate intelligence and requisite background could understand Rudin without an instructor. Perhaps they may reach some stumbling blocks, but a simple post on math.stackexchange.com could rectify that.

That isn't to say that a professor and TA won't help some students, but I don't think it is impossible to learn on your own.

try using megadl

Say it to the user who uploaded them.

What is the total size of the STEM folder and MATHS folder?
Gentooman Library by itself is around 35 GBs

Absolutely, i didn't mean it that way. But additionally to your overarching motivation you need pressure on a day-to-day basis to get this done in a reasonable amount of time. I would have never made it through discrete mathematics without fear of failing the weekly assignments and so on.
Glad that i'll never have to visit one, i hope things get better under trump for you.

Ah, fair enough. I suppose the fear which might motivate a self-learner is the personal embarrassment of not being good enough. Personally if I start skipping things because I get stuck, an inner voice starts saying... "perhaps you just too stupid?", serves as good motivation, even if it does sound rather schizophrenic.

perhaps you *are (clearly, I am).

megadl is a program for downloading from mega.nz, you don't need an account or anything. just: megadl $url"
megatools.megous.com/

I'm not the person who uploaded it, but its 6.1G. Hard to find good sites to upload things that large. If you know any, please share.

Hmmm didn't know about it. Thank you

There are 5.

Maple - Elementary Differential Equations.exe
Geometric Formula-Palm.exe
Note-Smart 3variable-Palm.exe
Introduction To Tensor Calculus & Continuum Mechanics.exe
Notesmart Algebra2-Palm.exe

Eat a dick tbh fam.

Well OP, it has been over a week since you posed the question. What progress have you made? Were you just flirting with the temptress known as mathematics in drunken delusion, or did you make a real commitment to learn something?

I started with downloading some books for calculus, but they are in fucking DJVU format and I couldn't yet find a good & free software to read them (on OS X)
Right now I have little time because I need to work on some other stuff but I'll deal with it soon too.

thepiratebay.org

Use macports or homebrew to install djvu2pdf, done.

Hmm, will try this tool in the evening,
but will it degrade quality or (vastly) inflate file size?

(AFAIK PDF has options for lossless image encoding, but not sure if this tool uses it)

File size will vastly increase, but quality should be fine given the default settings for output dpi. What book are you reading which is only in djvu though?

rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1055058

Ah Zorich nice, that was my recommendation. Are you reading it in Russian then?

A recent second edition of the English translation came out in 2016, and both volumes are available in nice LaTex'd pdfs (not scans). See where I provide a link.

Yep, because if I understood right, it's the original language for this book, and I happen to be a native speaker.

Hmm that sounds interesting, I guess it trumps "non translated" if the translation is reasonably accurate

The translation must be reasonably good, because Zorich became my favourite analysis book, beating out many works written by native English speakers. That said, I'd absolutely prefer to read the original Russian if I could speak the language.

Probably the best approach is to get both versions. English because it's easier to find a nice scan, and then refer to the Russian just to get the original perspective.

Just realized there's another good recommendation I should give.

Linear Algebra Done "Wrong". The cheeky title is taking a stab at Axler's Linear Algebra Done Right. Axler's book is an interesting read, but it isn't the best for applications. "Done Wrong" is excellent and completely free from the author. The right/wrong designation is due to Axler's distaste for Determinants, which he banishes to the back of hi book, whereas most authors teach them right near the start.

math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/LADW.html
math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/book.pdf

basic calc (no vector/multivariable, no differential equestions) and linear algebra are pretty much independent.

you might find examples of linear operators and vector spaces that mention something from calculus in a linear algebra course, but that's all the cross-referencing you'll find

apologies for the shitty spelling

Thanks, this looks interesting.
I'd probably start with this.

Two more 'survey' books which you may like, and these are for the general audience who want to brush up on their math skills.

First one is an overview of mathematics by Russian heavyweights in mathematics. It's from the 1950s, but still relevant today. It's a wonderful resource.

amazon.com/Mathematics-Content-Methods-Meaning-Volumes/dp/0486409163/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484854719&sr=8-2&keywords=mathematics content

Second one is much more recent, and gives a lighter account of mathematics, with an emphasis on the history behind it. Certainly some tricky problems here too, so it's not popsci crap.

amazon.com/Mathematics-Its-History-Undergraduate-Texts/dp/1461426324/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484854760&sr=8-2&keywords=mathematics and its history

The definitions are literally in the 3rd picture you posted, dumb fuck.