Your first dedicated GPU thread

Pic related is my old Radeon HD 3650. Before this, I had mostly played on consoles and shitty integrated graphics on my parent's computer.

What card was your first taste in pc gaming?

9550 with gook heatsink. It was shit.

9600GT
That I bought 2 years ago

3dfx Voodoo2

ati rage128

Mine was the NVIDIA GeForce 6200, installed so I could play the very first Lego star wars game.

Got it used. 2011 was a good year.

Nvidia Geforce 256, but I had another card before that without 3D-acceleration.

Some VIA S3 card or something like that. After that I got the first Voodoo 3Dfx card.

R9 280X. I'm still using it, and plan to use it for a good few years at least
I wait for ages between upgrades, and my last PC was from 2005 and had integrated graphics.

ATI Wonder something, then Mach64, then SLI Voodoo2 bitches

EVGA GTX 770 classified 4GB and I'm still running it.

I had a 1998 nVidia something (do not remember the model) with 64 MB of RAM, back in 2005. Yes, poorfag

Who's getting >>696969?

Me.

ATI Rage Pro though that was my first 3D card. I can't recall what my SVGA card before that was or my EGA card before that.

Radeon 9200SE, used it from 2004 until 2011 when it died. Had to suffer and live with a laptop with an iGPU until this year, when I got an R7 250 for a good deal with some other desktop parts.

IIRC, the ATi Radeon 7200 DDR. I remember flipping shit over Transform and Lighting.

Checked!

A ASUS 9600XT was my first GPU back in 2003.

8600 GT, I think.

Voodoo something.
The most recent gpu I own is Nvidia 5500fx. It feels slightly weird that some people's first gpu here is much newer than my current one.

YAPF (Yet Another Poor Fag)

My first was 2004's NVidia budget offering that I grabbed in 2006 for like a hundred bucks in a pinch at Best Buy - a GeForce FX5200 or something, that I had stuffed into a 4GHz P4 (with hyperthreading!) single-core.

It was better than the on-board graphics of the day, but not by much. It was just enough to run games like F.E.A.R. (on low settings) and COD 1 & 2 and that was about it.

I ran with that computer until 2010.

get on my level AGP newfags

In my entire life, it was only this year I though that it would a good idea to not get a CPU with an integrated graphic card.

3DFX Voodoo2 1000

I was on a Pentium 100 well into the Pentium 3 era. All I ever played was Quake 1 in 320x200 software mode (Mega Team Fortress) for like hours a day.

When the Voodoo2 hit the 120$ price point I popped it in and enjoyed smooth 640x480.

Voodoo2 enabled me to play Descent:Freespace, which I was absolutely obsessed with.

Nvidia 7600GT

Fun fact, that company was intentionally targeted and eventually killed by Microsoft because they wouldn't support Direct3D. Microsoft couldn't allow them to divide the gaming industry by having their own special API since it would kill Windows as a platform for gaming.

I thought what killed 3DFX was them losing the contract to make the Dreamcast GPU because they went attention whoring before it was officially announced, kind of like how Sun got BTFO for announcing OSX was going to get ZFS.

Nvidia also lost that contract but didn't go under (Sega was looking at both Nvidia and 3DFX), Jen-Hsun actually originally told Microsoft to go blow themselves over Direct3D because he thought he had the Dreamcast contract but a few months later he came crawling back and agreed to support it.

Sapphire Radeon HD 6850

That's because the Voodoo2 could do two texture passes in one shot, hence the two TMUs.

Here's the kind of difference this thing made. Personally i think the software mode looks a little nicer, but that smooth 60fps on low end hardware is tough to beat.

8600 GT

Damn that looked smooth as hell. Imagine if those guys were still around.

one of these
fan died on it, had to search for ages in some warehouses for replacement lol

Looks like a Geforce 2 ??

Same fam, might upgrade in a few years

Nm it's a sis315. had never heard of it. I was running a brand new GeForce 2 GTS at the time so other than the GeForce 2 MX I wasn't aware of the budget GPUs

Reviews show it was a decent enough performer for the price. Interesting.

Voodoo 1

I can't believe how smooth this shit is.

Smartphones with 2Ghz processors and 2gb of ram couldn't run this.

Nvidia geforce 256, my dad bought it for me so I could play dungeon keeper 2 properly.
I believe this also was the first ever GPU, so not just mine but THE first.

It was the first 'geforce' GPU, Nvidia was selling GPUs well before that and the idea of the GPU dates back further than the founding of companies like Nvidia and ATi.

Whops, I just realised what you meant, yes it was the first true 'GPU' as we know them today but hardly the first device designed for rendering graphics.

ATI 9600se

"se" back then stood for "shit edition", I was a poorfag so I got the most crippled version of the 9600 for like $50.

Kek, I still have one somewhere in my drawer. Got it 4free from a friend a decade ago after my FX5200 died and I was too much of a poorfag to buy a new one for my dying 8y.o. PC.

That's because neither Android nor iOS are designed with real-time graphics rendering in mind. Blame the OS, not the hardware.

>Microsoft couldn't allow them to divide the gaming industry by having their own special API since it would kill Windows' own special API as a platform to divide the gaming industry.
FTFY

GeForce 2 Ultra, free from a friend in 2004 or so. It was an insane upgrade from the shit integrated S3 thing my PC had before, 1.3Ghz athlon from 2001.

Well he's right in one way. The term GPU was coined by Nvidia when the first GeForce came out. Before that they were called video cards or 3d accelerators.

He just wrote that in the next post you retard...

Most phones and PCs these days have like 150 background processes and half of those are for phoning home and checking feeds and other pointless instant-gratification shit. Back then on Windows 95/98 the icons on your taskbar were 99% of what was running.

This is almost exactly how it went for me. Why are FX cards such broken pieces of shit?

Being a Macfag, I mostly stuck to onboard software video (actually better than fully accelerated hardware on most other platforms at the time) throughout the 2D era, though I did sometimes get NuBus cards for extra monitors, in particular an accelerated Radius PrecisionColor.

The first 3D acceleration I got was the onboard ATI Rage IIc soldered to a PM6500/250, which was pretty worthless, so in 1999 I bought my first actual discrete 3D accelerator, a Formac ProFormance III, somewhat superior to a 16MB Rage 128 at the time but with better drivers. It was interesting in that they added support for OpenGL a few months after I bought it, though it lacked GLIDE support and the MacGLide OpenGL wrapper wouldn't appear for years.

In 2004 I got an nVidia GeForce2MX 64MB as the stock GPU in a computer, which I soon swapped out for a 128MB GeForce4Ti 4600. While very powerful, and the shaders were nice on the GF4, both cards were somewhat annoying in that nVidia had provided their drivers through Apple, and Apple didn't see fit to offer any per-app tuning features (clocking, postprocessing, mode forcing, etc.).

I went wintel after Apple switched from PPC hardware, and am now sitting on an old 2GB R7 260X.

I thought that the real reason 3Dfx died was because they wasted too much time and R&D resources rehashing the VooDoo2 with VooDoo3/4/5 and gluing it to 2D hardware like the Banshee, and not enough time on getting the new Rampage architecture out the door?

That's kinda redundant.

Unless you were on an Amiga, Atari, or something, you can't claim to be any better. Wintel was a joke up until the late '90s.

At least it wasn't gay.
And take back that "Win" part
t. linux master race

Linux was shit-tier until NT cannibalized enough of the actual *N*X market for refugees to source-port more stuff in the late '90s

still not gay

Microsoft actively went out to studios and convinced them not to support Glide for their games. In return, anything they wanted added to D3D they would get (along with other incentives). It wasn't just Glide, they also targeted OpenGL since 3DFX was supporting it.

GLIDE wasn't really so much an actual API, as just 3Dfx's MiniGL driver. OpenGL was very marginal on Macs (basically the only form it appeared in was a MESA-based shim that ran atop Apple's own RAVE/QD3D for a few *N*X ports) until the switch to OpenGL in 1999, so I didn't pay it much attention, but my vague impression of OpenGL on Windows (aside from ultra-expensive professional Windows NT GPUs) was that it basically didn't exist beyond various quasi-native MiniGL drivers until nearly the D3D7-era.

...and for a reason. OpenGL was an advanced API with an extensive (for the time) feature set and only with version 7 had D3D come to close most of the (game-relevant) gaps it had. Consumer 3D accelerators were very simple devices back then and supporting all those capabilities in hardware was out of the question due to a very limited transistor budget allowed by contemporary chip manufacturing technology.

There was no point in writing a full OpenGL driver for that ancient hardware, as 95% of the time this driver would have to fall back to software rendering unless the application constrained itself to a veeeeeery small subset of API capabilities that corresponded to what the HW could do.

what a homo

When I was 10 started with a PII with a S3 Virge which was shit, got a Voodoo 1 for birthday which was awesome could play quake 3 with no issues.

The very first pc I built had a Radeon X800 with 256mb vram. It was ok back in the days, but quickly became to slow to play any newer games.

Just going to name them all. Started with GeForce 2. Then a friend lent me his x1900T in HS. Got a new PC cuz he took his back. Nvidia 6150 SE. upgraded to 8400GT after CoD 4 came out. 240GT when just cause 2 came out. Traded in for a 4870 XFX. Then a GTX 460. Then 560ti. 7970 after that. Liked them so much I crossfired. Now I'm using MSI 480 8GB AIB.

GeForce 7200 GS

I though it had to be cool with a frog on the box