Friendly Apple General - /FAG/

Welcome to the Friendly Apple general, all Apple users of all experience levels are Welcome. Post pics of Rigs, Advice, and other great commentary.
_
Apple Store
>apple.com
Buying Guide
>buyersguide.macrumors.com
Reason's to buy Apple
>t3.com/news/opinion-actually-there-are-still-plenty-of-reasons-to-buy-apple-products-thanks

Why do girls prefer apple products?

in that order

Cus they're smart enough to recognise Windows sucks but they're too dumb to use Linux.

Why do poorfags get so triggered by apple?

sensiblechuckle.gif

Not just girls but a lot of normalfags because they see computers as an appliance, not as some sort of extension of their identity. This is why often you'll get the response "lol who cares" if you bring up any intricacies or reasons why to buy something else. It'd be like someone trying to educate you that your microwave oven isn't the best model and you could've bought an uglier one 30% cheaper.

do ya'll know if different year powerbook g4 keyboards are interchangeable? i need to cannibalize one to repair another

#triggered

It's USB, why wouldn't it be?

>looks good I like the design too, but still think it's totally retarded to buy a Mac

Probably bait, but

Because in the 90s Apple dominated this market with models like the Quadra and the 9600. A lot of graphic design programs were also exclusive to Mac OS at the time.

Who lets faggots like these in?

Macs can't get malware now?

Get the fuck off Holla Forums you filthy degenerate.

because it's a powerbook g4, so they're laptops. maybe with different pinouts for the ribbon cable matrix. just probing to see if anyone here has done it before.

That's what girls believe

Indeed

go back to reddit

Meanwhile my 6 year old Thinkpad still works flawlessly. Does anybody know if Sierra will fix this or am I wasting my time upgrading?

Because sugar daddies gave them.

How many did you get

What's the point of Apple when they just poach open source stuff, no longer use a unique CPU architecture, and tend to be very expensive?

Three in the ass

you are saying it like there was a benefit for user?

You don't have to be a poorfag to realize Apple is ripping people off tbh

Personally, I'm glad when normalfags choose apple these days. Teaching them about free software is a waste of breath and every time they have a Windows PC it gets infected with more malware than a bug-chasing faggot. There is actually something to be said for MUH NO VIRUSES. Windows should be the new OS of choice for gays TBH, as they share similar diseases and Windows is only good for GAYMEN.

The old mac pros had really nice cases. I'd love to get myself a broken one, replace the hardware with new stuff, and have a giant aluminium chesegrater desktop.
It's a shame they ditched that design for the new bins. I can understand fucking around with convection for a quiet PC, but not on something that's supposed to output as much heat as a workstation.

Honestly I'd love to jump ship to android if it wasn't so shit.
I had a moto g when that was still relevant and installed paranoid android on it, I liked the freedom to install third party programs and have a hosts adblocker but the performance was lacking (even without G-apps).
Maybe it was because I was using a budget phone but when I jumped ship to ios I had a much better experience overall.

literally everything you said is wrong

So your Android phone actually was significantly cheaper than your iOS phone? In that case it doesn't make sense to compare them in that regard.

Well, I like OpenCL so there's that.

Good

Flagship android phones are on par with apples

A 3gs has less input lag then current high end android phones.

but at that point why not spend the same or even less money on an iPhone and get superior quality, OS, and service?

Too bad the a 3GS won't work with an updated iOS thanks to Apple intentionally killing old hardware with software updates in order to force people to buy new hardware.

Tell me why its bad to have a dedicated GPU. Elegance is not compromised because you still have an iGPU, you just get extra shit that makes that overblown price more worth it.

And still it's better than modern android.

Because I like to use my smartphone as a mini computer/flash drive/entertainment device via smartphone tv pairing.

Get appletv. It's the best for that.

The upgraded Mac 1,1 cheese grater machines are pretty stylin for a daily driver. Nicest machine I have worked on, ever. Beautiful and silent, well engineered. Runs OpenBSD well.

I put in some low power xeons so it is a bit more reasonable in terms of energy consumption (50w vs. 120w), ssd, and ram. Beautiful machine that can be had for pretty cheap, if you can get past the whole botnet thing.

Fuck off, homosexual. Take your sodomy filled filth called mac and shove it in your neghole.

Apple is going to shit, now even its engineers say its a boring as fuck company

For the little faggots here who weren't even alive back then apple wasn't shit in the 90s, it was so pathetic as a company back then that dell offered to buy it not for the brand but just for the patents

Now that steve jobs is gone AGAIN (see the pattern?) they are going down

Back in the early 2000 apple realized they weren't going anywhere on tech so they rather focus on branding like the fashion industry did

Ergo why bitches like apple shit since its overprized crap with a logo same as the clothes thosedumb retarded cunts buy

Oh, an apple thread.
Into the trash it goes

Nice doublethink, faggot.

I'm sorry, is someone triggered?

For people who use their computer as a tool, it is defined entirely by its utility.
Hardware cycles are grinding to a complete halt, and the only reason to replace a 7+ year old system is for better power efficiency, and maybe a more compact case by shedding legacy bays.

To these people, enforcing planned obsolescence by turning a tool into a fashion accessory will always be ridiculous.

Why are apple charging cords the actual worst quality of any charger ever?
Haven't used a mac or ipod in, like, a decade; last I remember insulation they use falls apart like it's nobody's business.

"I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone."

Apple users are basically homosexual retards. Even Windows with all its botnet is more useful than applel.

What can I do with an Xserve G5?
I've had one sitting around (snagged from work after they were going to chuck it).
It didn't cost me shit, but has not drives in it. Is there any way to get this up and running - even if just for the experience?

You could try selling it for scrap. That thing is going to cause a power outage in your neighborhood.

Checked

ITT

Will plugging in pic related also cause a power outage in my city? Because i'm quite sure all those vacuum tubes consume a boatload of power!

Yeah good luck with that, that's not gonna happen.

Go back to Holla Forums kid

I've got a question, /fag/s: Recently I was shopping for a laptop (primary uses are emails, light coding, browsing and showing powerpoints). I found that laptops over $700 seem to shit value for their price, and if you want something basic like more than 1080p that already bumps you into 2.5k+ territory, which again is far too much for just a better screen (the laptops themselves are mediocre).

Meanwhile mbr's are somewhat middling price, have the high res screen, and what sounds on paper like serviceable specs. Frankly I think 99% of Windows laptops are cheap chinese crap that's flimsy and looks ugly as sin. Macs aren't the pinnacle of design some make them out to be either, but again it's a reasonably adequate design. Weight wise they also seem to be well adjusted.

Of course I'm not retarded so I wouldn't be able to stand OSX, I'd wipe and install gahnoo.

If I buy a mbr for $1.5k, I'd be paying $250-350 apple tax just from looking at comparably specced laptops. But 1.5k is still much better than 2.5k (actually the good high res laptops are 3-4k), and the display is a real improvement over the cheap shit. So maybe I might as well bite the bullet.

What do you think of this idea?

There's two reasons to prefer macs: Being completely tech illiterate and not recognizing the shortcoming, and groupthink ("all the cool kids have one"). Women are both tech-impaired and very groupthink prone. Same with extreme normalfags.

Go end yourself instead, stupid namefag.

Debian is not FSF approved.

I have an old all-in-one iMac with like 2 gigs of RAM on it.

I currently have Ubuntu installed on it because it's what was on my USB stick, but I'd like to try out a different OS.

I'm not quite ready to make the leap to Arch on it yet. Any suggestions for a good OS to wade further into Linux (or potentially BSD or Slackware)? It's not going to be used for much, probably just to code, maybe stream & access content on the home server.

Also I should mention that I really hate XFCE to the point of it almost being a dealbreaker.

Thinking of something like PuppyLinux, Porteus, or TinyCore(Plus), but open to suggestions for anything. I know the major distros and think I'd be happy with something Debian based (assuming caveat above can be replaced with a better DE/WM combo, something like awesome or FluxBox.) I have Jessie on a Pi and it's cool but I'd like to branch out a little more on this computer. I'm looking for something minimalist but not barebones, configurable (ie customizeable && can install packages as desired), TUI-centric (ie not hand-holding with the GUI but not entirely dependent upon CLI), on the lower end of resource usage, and exploratory as a bridge away from nooblin.

lmao nigga

If your Xserve still has at least one hard drive caddy, you could put Linux on it and use it as a server. If not, you could find a FireWire hard drive and boot from that instead. Add an old PCI GPU and a sound card if there isn't any onboard sound and it would probably make a decent PC. You may need a Mac compatible GPU. I know you would need one for OS X, but I don't know if a generic PC GPU will work under Linux or not. If you don't have a GPU, an Xserve has a serial port you can connect to from another PC. Don't know the details on the serial port because I never had an Xserve.

I did recently install gentoo ppc64 on a PowerMac G5 dual 1.8 GHz, and it works well for me. I also have an old install of Debian wheezy on the second hard drive, and that also ran well. I had no major problems with either setup. While it might not fast by 2017 standards, it's still fast enough to do almost anything short of gaming (except games from the period under OS X; Halo 1, etc. would run well). They're roughly comparable to an original Intel Core CPU at the same frequency and number of cores.

These G5s also make great space heaters. According to sensor readouts, each CPU in my PowerMac idles at about 35W and 40C with two of the massive coolers in pic related and the fans in push/pull spinning about 600 RPM. That's after I redid the thermal paste. The whole system must draw 100W at idle.

Bought a 2011 13" MacBook Pro with Linux on it new to replace an old PowerBook G4. Mine ran so hot under Linux that the whole thing was hard to touch. The trackpad driver and wifi drivers were also absolutely awful at the time. I'd post the MBPR throttling to 0.8 GHz at 101C pic if I had it. I hated it so much sold it for 80% what I paid for it and bought a Dell Precision M4700 in late 2012. Typing on that Precision right now. I'd recommend it without hesitation. They're about $300-500 used these days, and often have a 1080p display, quad core Ivy Bridge CPU, Nvidia K1000M/K2000M or AMD M4000 graphics, mSATA+HDD, up to 32 GB RAM, slice batteries, docking stations, etc. Cooling is best in class, which also means they perform better than a lot of laptops with similar specs. Probably the biggest drawback is that they weigh about 6.5 lbs. Second drawback is a new nine cell battery under ganoo lasts about five hours on my quad core with AMD graphics model. Nvidia models would probably do better because of Optimus. I run a slice battery to make it up, but it does bring it up to about 8 lbs.

Bottom line: I love older Macs, but I can't recommend an Intel Mac, especially if you aren't even going to run OS X on it.

Hello poorfag

Any of you anons using homebrew?

If you are can you help us testing experimental recipes with libressl?

I've been patching recipes to build/link against libressl for over 2 years and did not suffer any funny bugs so I am pretty confident with this change.

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Mac OS X, is in fact, BSD/OS X, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Mac plus BSD. Mac OS X is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning BSD system made useful by the BSD corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the BSD system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of BSD which is widely used today is often called “OS X”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the BSD system, developed by the BSD Project.

There really is a Mac OS X, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Mac OS X is the UI: the program in the system that creates the pretty graphics. The UI is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Mac OS X is normally used in combination with the BSD operating system: the whole system is basically BSD with Mac OS X added, or BSD/OS X. All the so-called “Mac OS X” versions are really distributions of BSD/OS X.

t. future poorfag

He posded id again

Too many linuxisms.

what
the
fuck

Let me fix your copypasta for you:

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Mac OS X, is in fact, BSD/OS X, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Mac plus BSD. Mac OS X is not an independent system unto itself, but rather a proprietary interface on a fully free and functioning BSD system made useful by the BSD corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the BSD systems every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, a combination of BSD systems which is widely used today is called “OS X”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically a BSD system, developed by one of the BSD projects.

There really is a Mac OS X, and these people are using it, but it is just an extension of another system they could use. Mac OS X adds the GUI: the program in the system that creates the pretty graphics. The GUI is an inessential part of an operating system, and useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Mac OS X is normally used in combination with the BSD operating systems: the whole system is basically BSD with Mac OS X added, or BSD/OS X. All the so-called “Mac OS X” versions are really versions of BSD/OS X.

The punchline here doesn't work as well because it's really hard to imply that, considerations notwithstanding, any of the *BSDs are unusable without the stuff that OSX adds to them.

no.

Even a windows computer is more useful than faglel disregarding botnet.

Everyone save pic related to counter these shills.

Is there any vibrator that is compatible with the iPhone 7(TM)?
I'm looking for a good model for me and my wife's son that I can remote control via an App.

witnessed

Mac OSX isn't even BSD. It's Darwin/XNU

Fuck off, you retarded pedo.

10/10 logic.

You really have nothing better to do than spreading bullshit 24/7, do you?