My i7 used to idle at 30 degrees C

So what exactly changed? the fans spin at the same speed, did they just re-calibrate the thermal sensors? 10 degrees C is a massive difference and I'm kind of pissed my CPU could've been running much cooler before

Other urls found in this thread:

supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DAE.cfm
electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/69234/what-is-the-difference-between-flash-memory-and-eeprom
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

they forgot to enable botnet for the consumer BIOS version

Not many people know this, but the bios chip is similar to Intel ME and has it's own independent CPU, RAM, Storage, etc. When your using your computer, the BIOS is constantly using your CPU to run its processes and is storing metadata about your computer constantly.

The most likely reason your CPU temperature went down was probably due to the BIOS tracking program becoming more efficient at what it is supposed to do.

Low effort, guys

The BIOS usually decodes encrypted data as the computer runs, when the data is being decrypted on the fly. It does this through memory access, via the CPU. I'd assume the update meant that DMA was enabled, so now your BIOS is decrypting data on it's own without any user interaction. Obviously, it's decrypting the data you ask for from the HDD, but the BIOS puts it in a container when you boot. Basic eee 101

There's no practical difference to the programmer but the change reduces heat production so we class it logistically as a thermal control

Voltage levels maybe?

This would make sense, but the clock speed didn't change either. Can just adjusting the voltage levels really make all that big a difference? I thought all it did was affect clock stability.

mine is 60 degrees C in summer and 45 degrees C in winter
is that too high?

Idle or under load?

Because even 40 degrees is way too fucking high idle. Idle temps should be around 30 and temps under load generally shouldn't exceed 85, but some people believe even 70 is too high.

your board idles at what is probably a lower than room temperature?

it isnt

well duh

They just changed what the microcode reads the thermal sensors as because that's a thing you can get away with hiding in a fucking rsa2048-encrypted blob that runs before boot

Xeons have nothing to do with it. And they're 95 watt chips

you have a lot less shit shoved in to your case

Kill yourself

it runs ESXi now

Now this is the perfect example why proprietary hardware and software doesn't offer security, you have a microcode change to your MOBO and you have no Idea why, what happened now that your station temperate is lowered. The change seems beneficial but is it really?

Look at the things you're running:
Windows
VMWare
Intel
SAMSUNG
NVIDIA

Now most people already uses these of course, but the problem lies within the obfuscation of what they are truly running. All of them are proprietary vendors and try to have as little interaction with Open/Free counterparts as possible. And none I dare say, cares about their customers.

Even if the MOBO is partly open and free, the code change they used to optimize and lowered your temperate would have had to include blobs from the other vendors. Now what exactly are those? And what do they do? Only God knows because the engineers have forgotten and are programmed to forget and stay silenced.

Certain people can maybe reverse engineer them, but it takes a long time.

What? That only occours through a BIOS update and there hasnt been one since 2014

what the fuck are you talking about

The only thing samsung on this computer is a 40" 4k TV connected to a isolated PVLAN. How the fuck is this going to effect anything? You think its going to hack me when my computer queries its EDID tables?

Where is the BIOS physically located you fuckwit?
Well according to you, what the fuck happened to your CPU temperate? It lowered right?
Well, it doesn't matter, because your OS runs on any of the given Storage BUS.
I didn't want to type out all of the Storage companies, but Hitachi is WD, WD, and Samsung are duopoly in HDD, Kingston is also a monopoly in Flash storage, and Patriot sounds like a rebrand (and all storage company have their own Codex).

What now m8.

That was another user you retard. I replied to him. Follow the thread.

What the fuck does a TV have to do with my the SAS ports on my RAID card?

Seagate doesn't exist?

Who the fuck has ever bought a Kingston SSD? Mine are Seagate 600 Pros which use Toshiba flash. This ignores that Samsung dominates the consumer grade market.

Its in the middle of winter user, 20 degrees C is 68 degrees F

I'm aware its winter, it is 30F outside, but 81F inside

pic related

Don't discus about botnet

this

not bumping because bait/win thread

I bet user is an apple user too. What with the apple thread up.

The new rule really needs to be don't talk to faggots, which would immediately exclude apple users as a whole.

I'm not OP

meanwhile Intel fags running their "hyperdreddin soooper corres" at 78C

Why does that matter? And I was talking about

How much use is constant use my namefag friend? Technically a CPU is in use the entire time a computer is running.

By constant use I mean 100% prime95 for 4 hours, then the CPU peaks at 38C. Whilst gaming arma2, bf4 etc. it peaks at 35C and never rises.

The cooler is Cooler Master Evo 313 which costs 35€. The ambient room temp is about 23-26C. Guess I got the thermal paste right and the case fans.

People really do underestimate how much better a third party cooler is vs the stock cooler. Literally any piece of crap will do, they're all better.

I really need to get around to replacing the 6 year old thermal paste on this thing. Although at this point I'm probably better off just upgrading to something newer.

feels cool man

This. A friend of mine got his i5 to ~5GHz on a Evo 313 not sure how stable though. Forget Noctuas until you try the Evo 313 tbh.

How the fuck can anyone follow anyone? There are no IDs on this board. For all any of you faggots know I could be OP right now and all of you are replies to myself.

fags who OC think their computers are stable if it doesnt blue screen while playing a game. not running prime95 for a month straight and see if it doesnt have any errors.

By paying attention to what is being said? Following the replies? OP claimed his chip idles at 20C, and some tard (probably OP) later said chips should never idle at 40C, and I posted my Xeons doing that and they're fine. Those fuckers will always run hot unless I want to run the all fans at 6k RPM due to how much shit is in that case.

Intel CPUs can handle 100 degrees +.

Temps are not a big deal.

He updated the BIOS, dumbass. That's why. Please kill yourself for being retarded.

amd can handle 200 degrees +. Checkmate goyim

An Intel CPU will trip the emergency shut off at 100 degrees C as a safety precaution to protect itself. This doesn't mean its okay to run it that hot, you start getting throttling at about 90 degrees C. Heat kills silicon, if you plan on keeping your hardware for more than 5 years I'd avoid the heat bro

OP here
let me elaborate since it was me who said that. I'm just saying that if your CPU idles as high as 40 than under load it must be a thermonuclear fucking reactor

Nice! I've got one. Punches way above its price point for sure.

I doubt the case designers had an SLI GPU setup in mind when they designed that case user

The SC747 which is the same thing as my SC743 but with dual hotswap 1U power supplies so you can fit a EEATX board is designed for 4 way SLI. They both have 4x 80mm center fans.

Also the SC743 is the recommended case for the X9DAE motherboard, which is one of the few Supermicro boards which comes with an SLI license

supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DAE.cfm

Where is the BIOS located?

anyway sage for literal shill thread

Flash chip

Wrong, BIOS' is too important to store on flash, which while fine for general purpose storage that requires constant read/writes, but is not good enough for mission-critical read-only data. BIOS chips are usually EEPROM

they're the same thing you tard
electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/69234/what-is-the-difference-between-flash-memory-and-eeprom