When did you stop watching The Simpsons?

When did you stop watching The Simpsons?

I didn't mind it up until they changed the animation to their HD bullshit. It just looks weird and ruins the entire show.

Other urls found in this thread:

deadline.com/2017/03/the-simpsons-caper-chase-trump-university-scandal-1202055077/
deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/
deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/zs7/
deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/zs8/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Way too long until I stopped. I only remember the Tony Hawk and UK episodes from the new stuff. Maybe the Basingers and Ron Howard one too, but I think that was years earlier.

I was born in 1997 so I never grew up with good Simpsons.

Tony Hawk episode was still using the old animation style iirc. They started using HD anination when the movie came out.

it went to shit long before hd

If we're comparing it to s3 through s9, yeah, it wasn't great. It still had some good episodes here and there. I thought it was still a comfy show to watch but I just can't get past the HD animation.

HD has little to do with why it looks bad, it's because they farmed it all out to Koreans who are kept on a tight leash, unable to imbue the animation with any artistic flair.

animation is the least of it's problems

So what do you guys think was the golden age of the show?
I've seen estimates as early as season 1 and as late as season 12. From what I have seen, 2-10 is usually considered the general consensus. Although 2-9 and 3-9 are also popular.

everything before double digits is the universal consensus

1 to 2 = Good
3 to 10 = Amazing
10 to 17 = Good
17 and up = shit

meant 11 to 17, not 10 to 17

Are you fucking retarded?

Anything after season 12 is unwatchable. There are still some funny episodes before that.

It's good. Not amazing but definitely watchable.

Although I will admit it might just be nostalgia speaking

I never watch The Simpsons in my life and I'm ok with that.

Season 8 is where the show takes a nosedive.

1 = good
2 = great
3 to 6 = amazing
7 and 8 = great
9 = okay
10 to 12 = okay
13 to 17 = unintentionally shit
18 and onward = intentionally shit

/thread

This.
1-11 is great television, anything past that is not worth seeing.

really makes you think

when they stopped releasing the DVD box sets. season 17 was the last, I think.

Probably 2008 or so. I always just watched reruns.
The Simpsons lost a lot of its steam after season six or so.

What did he mean by this? I'm serious, I don't know who you're referring to. DreamWorks?

others have said it, but you can use Behind the Laughter as the series finale & it works out great. think of the movie as one last hurrah, it wasn't terrible.

it has some really amazing episodes, like The City Of New York vs. Homer Simpson, Bart Star, The Cartridge Family, Bart Carnie, Trash Of The Titans, Lost Our Lisa

The absolute best are seasons 4, 5, and 6.

I think they stopped being good around season 10. Then, after the movie, they also stopped being funny, this was when I quit. I remember really liking the movie when it first came out, but, in hindsight, it was pretty shit.

remember when Lisa turned down $12,000,000 because muh ethics, even though doing so meant the money stayed with a completely amoral person?

Let me guess, conservative SJW who thinks "Lisa is evil".

What's The Simpsons?

Buttblasted >>>Holla Forums detected.

Looks like I hit the nerve.

a cartoon about a fat Asian guy who has a family but is mentally retarded

Wewie lad.

guys, come on. this is a Simpsons thread.

heh, redditrump got wrecked

what did they mean by this?

It's the place where hotel for Trump Bros.

FUCK. I meant, it's a place where Trump bros gather :)

Here in the UK, they first started broadcasting the Simpsons in 1996 on BBC2 and they got to about season 11 when they eventually stopped. I was born in 1995 and unlike the parents in Burgerland, most parents here didn't really mind their kids watching the show, so I got to grow up watching reruns of the golden years of the series every weekday evening. Good times.

Burgerfag here, did the simpsons in any way influence your guys' perception of the US? Or was it just some weird cartoon you never associated with a country?

Eurotaco here, yes.

I tried watching until season 25 or something. After 15 or so I would just wait a while then download a season to watch. I felt I could a whole season in a day since the episodes are shorter now, which also made them feel more disposable. Used to be about 6 minutes of commercials and now it's about 10, fucking nuts since now there's even less time to develop stories which is probably why it uses stock characters so much now.

did you see the muslim episode?

2-10
The show is an absolute abortion now.

probably the best Lisa episode btw

she should have stayed lost & perhaps the Simpsons would have at least been tolerable.

you're not wrong, but the episode would have been kind of a downer if Homer hadn't found her

I liked this one

I despise that character so much no amount of (((muh feels))) or sad music can make me feel bad for it.

gets me everytime

I kept with it right into season 26, but gave up a few episodes in. I was with it all the way from the very beginning - back when they were 30 second shorts on the Tracy Ullman show. That's probably why - it became more of a habit than anything.

The first few seasons, practically every episode is a goldmine. Then it slowed down a bit, but there were still only a couple shitty episodes per season. By seasons 10-15, it was pretty much a 50/50 good/shit ratio, but it held that all the way up to 17 or 18. Certainly, by season 20, there were more bad than good episodes. Out of the last couple ones I watched, they seemed more like a string of random scenes strung together with nothing binding them together. It was like they all of a sudden started speaking a different language or something. I just couldn't get into it any more.

I think that the show changed focus a few times, and wherever the focus is now, it's just shit. The 30 second shorts and the first couple seasons, Bart was the main character. (It was the funniest shit in the world - a cartoon that says damn and hell and lips off to authority figures. Those of you that grew up with South Park don't realize how revolutionary that was in 1987.) Bart was the bad boy - the prankster, the slacker, the ne'er-do-well. Homer was everyman - Joe Sixpack; a working stiff that wasn't too bright but somehow managed. Marge was the typical mom of the day - strict, no-nonsense, religious, and wanted the best for her family. Lisa was a standard little sister - too smart for her own good, a tattle-tale, and ready to follow (or dare) her big brother into stupid trouble. (The baby was a baby, and aside from a well-timed pacifier suck or a burp, was essentially just a prop, so won't be part of this discussion.) The family ran into all kinds of trouble and had lots of wacky hijinks, but in the end, they always did "the right thing" and managed to come out of it OK.

Somewhere pretty early on, the focus switched to Homer. Probably because the young Fox Network was getting lots of phone calls and angry letters about how the youth of America were being influenced by Bart, and not in a good way. It's true that George Bush made a point in one of his speeches about how American families should be more like The Waltons than like The Simpsons (which led to the Two Bad Neighbors episode, where GHW and Barbara Bush move in across the street). Homer made a good MC. Bart still got a lot of attention, and his suddenly-much-stupider father having to keep up with him made for a lot of funny episodes. Marge mostly stayed the same, except she maybe got a little stupider, too. But Lisa made a change, too. Now, instead of a snotty tattle-tale, she was a way-too-smart, flaming liberal. It seems like the network made that change because they liked to poke fun at shitlibs, but if that were the case, it probably wouldn't have been a constant for so many years.

But that setup reigned for a long time. Somewhere around season 18-20, it seems, the focus switched again. Homer and Bart and friends were relegated to the B Story of the episodes, and Lisa and Marge started taking center stage. That would have been OK if they would have altered the characters a little bit like they did early on, but they didn't. Now a nagging mother and a whiny liberal were the focus. What fucking fun is that? How is it funny to listen to some nag do her nagging, and some cunt bitch about the environment all the time? It's not.

So they started doing episodes about side characters and bullshit. The Simpsons are 1/128th Nigger. Grandpa used to be a wrestler. Karl Karlson is Dutch or some fucking thing. Apu and his Brother something something. Moe's talking/singing dishrag. Fuck.

So that's where it is now. And it sucks. I've already gone on way longer than I intended to, and don't really know where to go from here.

Season 10 or so.

(((They))) were always pushing some leftist stronk woman with Lisa (Lisa besting Bart in fights,Lisa being the intelligent one in the family, Hockey Lisa, activist Lisa,etc.).
Lisa's feminism does not stand out so much by comparison to the newer seasons due to the acceleration of the feminist propaganda in the Simpsons & other media.

Family Guy nailed it if you replace Meg with Lisa ( pic related)

There have been good episodes based around side characters. Flanders, Krusty, Skinner. It was when they started scraping the bottom of the barrel, and making episodes about one line gag characters like old Gil or Comic Book Guy that you knew they were truly out of ideas.

I pretend it didnt happen

much like the sadgasm episode

To be fair, that episode did have one good joke. The one where one of the bullies joined a cult started by Moe to get out of jury duty. Everything else about it was terrible, though.

Anything past 9 is not worth seeing

deadline.com/2017/03/the-simpsons-caper-chase-trump-university-scandal-1202055077/

what do they intend with this?

Show how you're a complete evil racist retard if you don't want your college to be daycare for grownups.

Oh, I don't know. That Gil episode where he moved in for a year after he got fired from his Mall Santa job was pretty alright. But, yeah, Comic Book Guy falls in love was shit. Some of the Flanders episodes of years gone by are top-tier Simpsons. It's definitely hit or miss.

The Skinner episode (season 11-ish?) where he's secretly been Armen Tamzarian and the real Seymour Skinner has been in a POW camp in Vietnam for the last thirty years is widely hailed as the line in the sand they crossed between good show and shitty has-been. But it's been on - what? - seventeen years, eighteen years since then.

There is literally a full-length book on this very subject.

deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/

Animecuck detect'd

The Simpsons made me more of an anti-feminist thanks to that annoying bitch.

Simpsons predicted their own future.

shit, like 2005 or something.

Season 8 is where they had shit like the first gay acceptance episode. Fuck everything Season 8 and beyond.

Gotta admit that the guy who made the site really pinned it down to the moment the show was changing forever.
deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/zs7/
>The overall tone of the show remained remarkably consistent throughout the two years Oakley and Weinstein were in charge, but there were some shifts into more explicitly emotional or political themes, a few “experimental” episodes that eschewed the usual three-act story format, and a couple of episodes that took stock of the show as a whole. Almost without exception these were handled with the cynical disdain and witty efficiency that had become the show’s hallmark, but Oakley and Weinstein had to move into those new areas because there simply wasn’t much left to do within the traditional bounds of the show.

deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/zs8/
Finally;

A good place to stop is after season 12. As soon as Al Jean takes over as show runner in, it's all down hill from there.

Any other good quotes? It's a bit of a tl;dr though I'm interested in the subject.

haha, nope

when I stopped being a little kid

haha, great post friend!

HOW MANY TIMES ARE WE GONNA HAVE THIS CONVERSATION? IT'S SEASONS 1-9. THAT'S IT. IT'S UNIVERSALLY ACCEPTED. DOUBLE DIGITS ARE CANCER. IF YOU DISAGREE YOU'RE WRONG AND SHOULD GO BACK

This is a good one.

social engineering

even there the pos character needed to virtue signal so hard she wasted a wish for "world peace" instead of helping her family.
I'm glad they made the consequence of that an invasion in reality the human race would probably die off. video related

1 & 2 - okay, not great
3-8 - awesome
8-10 -decent
10+- absolute shit

A good read. I would like to see his analysis on the Al Jean years, but I wouldn't want anyone to be subjected to that.

also when Maggie reaches for the cake and Homer stops her, saying "Don't eat that, sweetie! It's poison."

Take that trumpcuck shit back to your subreddit.