SHOCKEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

SHOCKEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Did anyone ever actually get punched in the 90s Spider-Man cartoon? Now that I think about it, I can't remember. I heard because of something about cartoon violence, every attack was some sort of explosion or laser blast, never just a punch that children could imitate.

No, that was the whole point.

Parent Groups started cracking down on Fox Kids after Power Rangers was 'too violent' so the same network that showed Batman: The Animated Series with its realistic guns and violence went in the complete opposite direction with Spider-Man

wow that animation is actually pretty good. Especially when compared to Spiderman TAS.

Still can't believe they eventually did Secret Wars. How many fucking episodes did that run?

You know, because of the constant meming, I can never really get people's opinions on the 90s marvel shows.

Honestly, despite the silly overacting, zero animation budget and terrible censorship/violence limitations, I think the 90s spidey was a really fun show. They managed to get the action across pretty well, while having to pull punches and re-use scenes, and the writing was probably the best out of all the 90s marvel series. After a certain point, it was story arc after story arc, with no unnecessary filler.

It and X-Men were both pretty fucking amazing, even with the flaws. About the most direct adaptations of either comics as well, with most changes just being the cast of characters that were involved at the time.

Spiderman has had pretty great luck with cartoons. At the very least, pretty much every series is a wellspring of meme magic.

I honestly can't remember X men TAS too well. And it's probably because half of the episodes were mutant-of-the-week or social-issue-of-the-week.
I do remember, however, that Mr Sinister was fucking badass

I watched them when I was a kid but I really don't think they've held up well. With regards to Spider-Man and X-Men, they made better shows in the 2000s.

Secret Wars or the whole thing? Because I think the whole thing was 65 episodes

Seriously only 65 eps? It felt like there was way more of it than that.

As far as just shows, I'd probably agree that Spectacular Spiderman and Wolverine and the X-Men were better. And both were good adaptations of the core concepts of Spiderman and the X-Men, without being as direct translations of the comic stories. Not to mention much smoother animation overall.

Fuck, it sucks so bad that Marvel COULD do so much with a X-Men cartoon, but due to the Fox movie rights thing, probably won't for a long, long time.

I liked MTV Spider-Man better than Spectacular

I hear a few people really praise it, but it never drew me in. I'm sure it was probably good, but I just never got into it.

there really was no need to write the post over again just to fix the missing "e"
I did not even notice it when I read your post, was too busy thinking "wait, which spider man aired on MTV?"

They had pretty good characterization all things considered, especially when they cast Mark Hamill as the Joker.

Most cartoon shows only last for 65 episodes. The reason for this being that 65 is how many the networks need to package the show for syndication. I don't know how it is now but back in the day they rarely ordered more episodes once they had what they needed.

Seeing the quality of their recent shows, i'd say that Marvel not having the rights for an X-Men cartoon is good

I love Spider Man TAS. Some of it is nostalgia, sure, but I also think it's the best at condensing and telling the comic's stories. Everybody since then tries to reinvent things or adapt Ultimate story arcs or put their own stamp on it, but all I ever wanted was 90's Spider Man with better animation and some real beatdowns. Also, as far as I can remember, all the voice talent was top-tier.

I think they DO have the rights for a cartoon, they just don't want to bother because they don't have the movie rights. But you are right, as long as Loeb and his goon squad are in charge of the cartoons, we're not going to get anything really amazing out of them.

They do have the rights. You'll never see another X-Men or Fantastic Four TV series though, because Perlmutter doesn't want any money going to Fox.

This show had some good episodes.