Post and discuss cephalopods

post and discuss cephalopods

make me

Plz?

why?

That video is pretty neat. What's amazing to me is that they lack bones but still have enough muscles to move around with basically no leverage.

They're cool.

fried octopus is awesome. I especially love the tentacles.

Have you ever had dancing octopus? A huge amount of an octopuses "brain" is spread throughout it's body so even after it's "dead" the tentacles will move reactively, so asians eat them almost-raw because it adds a cool sensation. Every so often people die from it because the octopus moves around too much in their gut.
Dolphins have been known to die of this as well, which is why they bash octopuses against rocks before they eat them.

nope. something about food that's still moving doesn't seem right.

why are they cool? tell me about cephalopods

That one moves around a little too much for my taste but just a bit is good.
I generally like eating squid more than octopus though.

One of the cool things about cephlapods is that they've evolved to take advantage of very different environments. All cephalopods have a copper based blood rather than iron which mammals use. This is a really inefficient way to transport blood.
Octopuses have evolved to fight very quick, short fights rather then elongated ones when hunting. They also do very well in cold oxygen-rich waters, they often get largest in the pacific northwest and the the extreme north and south.
Squids on the other hand do very well in low-oxygen environments. They do this by moving in an incredibly efficient way, and also having 3 hearts to pump blood around. While octopuses can also do it, squids primary method of locomotion is using jet propulsion. I've seen it estimated that even giant squids only need 30 grams of protein a day to survive. They have a pretty slow metabolism.

that's fucking amazing. thanks for the cool info. any interesting documentaries on cephalopods?

This one is kind of informative but it doesn't have an awful lot of good footage. My first recommended viewing for cephalopods is the footage of giant squids because there are only a couple of them. I'll try to find them in a sec.

This is the first (only for now) footage of a giant squid acting "naturally".

This is the only footage of a giant squid filmed by a diver. It's a pretty young one. When giant squid get this near the surface it's pretty much dead. Something had to happen to it to get to water that warm, and at that point it's metabolism increases, it can't get blood moved around fast enough and it's pretty much going to die. So it's not acting as it should but it's still cool.

There are better documentaries about octopuses, this one has good footage with divers. I've never dove with a pacific octopus, which are supposed to be the most people-oriented cephalopods, but some of the big ones I've seen int he Caribbean will come check out people. They like to touch people with tentacles because they get a lot of sensory information like that, especially taste and texture. Giant pacific octopuses have been known to be curious about bubbles that come off of regulators and take them out of people's mouths, I've heard of people being drowned by curious ones.

This one is more about the intelligence of octopuses.

I would probably freak the fuck out if an octopus started touching me way down in the ocean

It kind of depends on circumstances. Most of the time you see them they're shy so you end up chasing them around to get a look at them, so after a few encounters like that's is kind of nice when one doesn't mind or engages with you.
The pacific ones are a little more sketchy because they're bigger, stronger and heavier.

Here's an octopus trying to mug somebody.

that was great. I wonder what happened to the speargun in the end though. did he get it back?

test

why is this thread not filled with tentacle hentai?

because anime belongs in the trash

have some non anime then

I'd hope so they're sort of expensive.

I've seen this before but haven't seen real sauce on it. I think it's a colossal squid though, they're pretty cool.
They're thought to be the heaviest invertebrates and have only been known to live around the antarctic ocean. It's been speculated that counting tentacles giant squid can get longer but as far as we know colossal are bigger.

I think tentacle hentai are kind of cool. There's something pretty hot to me about a cartoon girl being penetrated by an appendage that can feel, think and taste on its' own.

This is a model that's at yale's natural science museum, I used to go see it all the time when I was a kid I still think it's like the coolest thing ever.