Can we blame this guy for nearly everything that's wrong with the modern left? His theories lead to the creation of:

Can we blame this guy for nearly everything that's wrong with the modern left? His theories lead to the creation of:

He also told people not to read the first chapters of Capital and completely denied human agency, so fuck this guy.

Other urls found in this thread:

independent.co.uk/voices/getting-away-with-murder-its-the-talk-of-paris-how-louis-althusser-killed-his-wife-how-he-was-an-1530755.html
libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=45277D90B12B7EBF9B2D46C1D8A04B52
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Althusser#Levels_and_practices
marxists.org/reference/archive/althusser/1970/ideology.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Oh boy it's another can we blame X postmodernism thinker for Y thread…

Forgot to mention:

Arguably his biggest crimes.

I don't mind him. I still gotta read more, but I'm sympathetic to structuralist analyses anyway.

But OP, Althusser looked like on suave motherfucker. Totally OG like Ilyekov. I don't think we've had any sexier philosophers on the Left.

It is a rare philosopher who actually changes anything, and Althusser is not one of them. He created nothing; he only expressed ideas that would have sprouted regardless of his works.

independent.co.uk/voices/getting-away-with-murder-its-the-talk-of-paris-how-louis-althusser-killed-his-wife-how-he-was-an-1530755.html

When he was 50, he looked worse than Lukács did at 80.

That's a very Althusserian thing to say.

You may have a point. Ilyenkov is still OG tho

>implying Kafka or even Camus aren't some of the most handsome men of leftism

you went full idealist

What's wrong with Hardt & Negri?

ITT

Pretty sure the ISA stuff can be used to debunk these positions.

The works of Nietzsche and Saussure–who was not even a philosopher–led to the creation of PoMo.

This.

Read this book please.

libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=45277D90B12B7EBF9B2D46C1D8A04B52

Postmodernists always did critique postmodernism.

Nice once.

Explain how Althusser is anti-idpol.

WUT

Getting off the GS allowed for financial capital to flourish.

The final split between signifier and signified, which typifies postmodernity and the postmodern condition, happened when money itself dematerialized in the 70's with the rise of credit, financial capitalism, etc. This process of dematerialization, I'd argue, goes back to the Bretton Woods Conference.

Baudrillard is probably not liked around here, but he was correct in conceiving a general semiology of simulation based on the premise of the end of referentiality in both language AND the economy, which is precisely what we are experiencing today.

Well, for starters, he's an anti-humanist, opposed to the notion of the 'individual' as such (and as political category).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Althusser#Levels_and_practices

This is what I'm saying. PoMo would have never taken off had the world remained on a Gold Standard.

The society remained on a gold standard even with the implementation of fiat currencies. Both existed to reify the other.

What about the "oil standard"?

Not an expert on Althusser, not even a big fan but I think he would be hostile.

He takes all identity except the fundamental capitalist one as being ideologically, not materially constructed:

And the control of that ideology is produced and reproduced by those that control the state.

If my reasoning is sound, conclusion is:

The social identities with which people self-identify, excluding the fundamental relation/object of capitalism, are sub-structures of the dominant ideological structure

marxists.org/reference/archive/althusser/1970/ideology.htm

This is
LITERALLY the first page of his Reading Capital.

Baudrillard eventually became too much of an idealist and placed too much emphasis on the semiotic value, that's why he turned against Marx's "productivism" in the Mirror of production.

But that turn also strikes me as somewhat dishonest and conservative. What the hell would be the alternative to man as a producer, other than teh stupid romantic "primitivism" he somewhat succumbs to. ( a fundamental misunderstanding of Battaille, who was still a Hegelian when he was exploring those non-western moralities)

fuck off pol

Completely capitulated to the system, fuck him

Has the same problems as Althussser in making Marx a sociologist, instead of treating him like the philosopher he was.

Isn't even a Marxist anymore, some of ideas of his are insightful for philosophy, but I wouldn't call him a Marxist in any way or form, many of his ideas are too "moralistic" or Kantian to be fully Marxist. He and Meillasoux are useful however for revamping materialism.

Can you explain what's wrong with Ranciere exactly, also

Perhaps Post-Marxist would be a better word?