Pleasant surprise

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/download/cmarchive_snapshots
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Did you read their source code?

Damn that looks nice. Better than the CM version where you have to dig three menus deep for every individual app.

Yeah, it's great. The firewall interface is basically identical to AFWall+. Alphabetical list of all apps, checkboxes for mobile data and wifi. Nice and simple. I did some snooping via the debian machine I use as a home firewall, and it really does seem to be working. Uncheck google apps on this list, and there's no more connections to google servers.

It's not as fine-tuneable as AFWall, but I am astonished and impressed that even this basic firewall functionality exists on a stock android ROM. This goes against all of Google's "we don't let users control network permissions because we want to make sure in-app ads don't get blocked" decisions.

I think I'm turning into an Asus fanboy. They've managed to make a stock android experience to be a non-shitty one. They even quit with the app bloat in MM. There's a hell of a lot less preinstalled third-party apps, and what little is left is actually fully uninstallable.

cyanogen mod rapes batteries

In my experience there are two things that rape batteries (at least):

1. GApps
2. Firefox with default configs

Remember that "Firefox is killing your SSD" maymay? Well guess what, if you're autistic enough to use Firefox on an Android phone it'll also kill your battery with that insane "write everything to disk every second!" policy.

So what's a decent browser on android then?

I use Firefox, it's the least worse I've found so far. Just change sessionstore.interval to something sane and disable disk cache etc. Notice it restores the defaults everytime you exit via the "Quit" menu.

I just put my browser profile folder on a non ssd disk :^)

org.chromium.chrome.apk

FTFY

~ $ nslookup cyanogenmod.orgServer: 192.168.1.5Address: 192.168.1.5#53Non-authoritative answer:*** Can't find cyanogenmod.org: No answer

You know you can disable the google services natively?

Firefox is the only option.

Depending on the OEM, some Google apps can't be disabled, like the one simply labelled "Google App" (which handles things like text and voice search) or Play Services.

Personally I use Firefox with NoScript and nothing else. Most ads go away and it reduces my data consumption. Just one addon doesn't add much overhead. But yesterday I also added a gigantic hostfile to block ads system-wide because I saw on Wireshark some connections being made to some ad company without me even starting any app (probably some bg app with ads).

Man, I fucking love archiveteam
Just until I get a new phone:
archive.org/download/cmarchive_snapshots

Omni ROM had this by default.

Even if you disable playstore if you miss ONE fucking app that does telemetry even if it's not google your spaghetti will still spill because the universal unique identifiable data is saved in storage/phone memory (in a gibberish file).

Lightning browser on fdroid. It blocks ads too if you for sine reason can't install adaway.

I'm too traumatised by the old stock firmware to revert. I don't have any major issues on the last cm13 ROM other then random reboot once a week or so.

Despite the shit you fags give touchwiz, Samsung actually does a great job at debotnetting android.

Stock android is incredibly shit.

Firefox is such an unoptimized piece of shit that it will eat up all your battery in a matter of minutes and render pages worse that stock. Right now it exists solely because of ublock origin.

Wrong. Websites that make unrestrained use of Javascript will consume your computer resources. When you disable Javascript, resource consumption is controlled. Ublock origin represents a significant processing overhead in today's web pages by the nature of how it works and the volume of the data that needs to be checked. Noscript is far smaller in scope and its volume of data to process is much smaller than ublock origin.

touchwiz is a bloated unoptimized piece of shit. Once the bootloader for the s5 was finally unlocked I switched to cm and never looked back.

I'm not talking about performance though nigga.

Even with the performance hit the feature set is worth it imo

What part of "CM constantly randomly reboots" and "no money to replace it" do you not understand?

Omnirom (the last ZF2 build was for security-hole-filled Lollipop, I might add) is based on CM, and has the same damn bugs on this phone that CM has. Until I went back to stock, I could never count on pulling my phone out of my pocket and NOT be looking at the "enter pin to continue booting" screen. So anything CM-based is out.

And don't even bother suggesting Copperhead, unless you'd like to buy me a Nexus 5X, 6P, or Pixel, the only three phones it runs on.

double spacing on greentext?
you're not from around here. please leave

Holla Forums has always double-spaced posts you fucking newfag

what the fuck. I had no idea.
it's a little different for me, on windows firefox. instead of a space on an empty line, its a >, like so:

-though it might be your addon fixing that.

that's incredibly dumb regardless.

D'oh!

While we're on the subject of "incredibly dumb"...