How many passwords should one have?

how many passwords should one have?

password for FDE? check
password for backups? or should be same as in FDE?
password for PWDMGR? or should same as in ?
password for special encrypted containers? can be same as in FDE?
if you have mounted drive, is password stored as hash or as plaintext?
so why couldn't I have same password for FDE and special containers?

FDE = FULL DISK ENCRYPTION
PWDMGR = PASSWORD MANAGER

BUMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

You can easily manage multiple complex oasswords mentally. For example, one password that I have used is:

23Hs3HbGDWB9YC0027

You can easily have permuations of a base complex password, such as 01 and 02 for your various logins. Its easy!

www.passwordcard.org

You cannot. Complex long passwords need much time and effort to remember. You cannot remember 5-10 of such passwords.

that's not complex password. and remembering it is hard and risky

>You can easily have permuations of a base complex password, such as 01 and 02 for your various logins. Its easy!
That's fucking stupid. One site will store them in plaintext and gets hacked, or you will have one man in the middle and then they get all your passwords easily.

Go to passwordcard.org
Print out a card, start using on of the shortest rows
After a few weeks, you will add another row

Q: Aren't passphrases better? More so if they're used with symbols and numbers (e.g.: "th1s_1s_4n_3x4mpl3_p4ssw0rd")

For brute force attacks they're better, and I don't see how they'd be worse for other kinds of attacks.
Also, never store them in plaintext, that's security 101 and even I know of that.

so you tell me to lengthen my password every week? fuck you. I can get quality long password that can be memorized in one day.

and changing your password is dangerous

ok but how many passwords to have? and should have password manager?

I just use short English sentences with correct grammar as passphrases. Uncrackable by most of Holla Forums.

I hereby declare the OP of this thread "encryptfag" since he has made the same kind of thread (no image, asking about encryption methods, using Windows, sperging out when confronted about using Windows, etc.) for the 5th time now.

If you know the answers why are you asking questions?

If you read first post in thread you would know what questions were asked

If you are in this much need of encryption maybe you should consider staying off of electronics for a while.

>>>/g/
Even your memes are facebook-tier.
But I still love you and you're a good faggot.

Is this true OP, have you betrayed one of our sacred tenets? You will be disciplined for this

checked

Should one use password manager at all?

You should have one password per service that you are using. Different for each service.
Ideally you would use password manager with long master password that you remember by using some mnemonic technique.
So that is one or two passwords to remember, depending on when you can access your password manager.

Well, as many as passwords you need (one for encryption, another for service1, another for service2, etc.). Try not to repeat them (even though I do repeat them all the time, it's bad practice).
Password manager, I'd rather not. If I keep forgetting the passwords, I'd just trust my opsec and write them into a notebook. If push comes to shove, have it in a safe and remember the 5 most used or so.

but if you use password manager, hacker/virus knows exactly where to look for passwords
and can easily read from RAM.
Wouldn't having passwords.txt in encrypted container be better? and mount only when needed to copy password?

It's not about forgetting, but you cannot have quality long passwords that you can remember. So this is where password manager or a notebook comes to need.
Notebook isn't that bad idea. It has pros and cons compared to password manager. Not sure what to use