It's almost 2017 and you're still not using Slackware?

It's almost 2017 and you're still not using Slackware?

What's wrong user? Don't you want to know how your pc actually works?

Other urls found in this thread:

cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list.php?vendor_id=27&product_id=&version_id=&page=1&hasexp=0&opdos=0&opec=0&opov=0&opcsrf=0&opgpriv=0&opsqli=0&opxss=0&opdirt=0&opmemc=0&ophttprs=0&opbyp=0&opfileinc=0&opginf=0&cvssscoremin=0&cvssscoremax=0&year=2016&month=0&cweid=0&order=1&trc=1&sha=b4ed63b58340d4edda5cc2db49f60dcdc3c0a8e3
robigalia.org/
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=561854
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I know how my PC works because I use gentoo with self-written init scripts and ebuilds. Clicking through the slackware ncurses installer doesn't teach you anything.

sage for arch-tier elitist bullshit thread

I know how my computer works, that's why I use an operating system that actually does work.

I kind of like the idea that Slackware is geared towards oldish computers, even having in their website a how-to for installing from floppy, but still being okay with newer hardware. I'm probably going to install it somewhere soon.

I run Gentoo, so we're in similar boats.

I dunno, I've thought about giving it a go before but I figure everyone just uses slackbuilds for everything. If that's the case, why not just use a Debian system?

gentoo here, slackware seems chill

Slackware is terrible, it installs too much shit by default. The only linuxes worth your time are those that abide by the "one appliaction for one task" rule.

Not really, no

Do such things exist anymore?

Are you implying that using windows will prevent me from "knowing how my PC works?"

How will not using any package manager to automatically rebuild every package that needs to teach me anything about how my PC works?

Doesn't it let you choose the sets to install? Just A and a couple others should give you a working system.
If you just install everything, then yeah it's a lot.

But I like systemd.

Yes.

get out

le b8 xD

Not "prevent" but will definitely make things harder.

No. systemd works like magic and anyone that had to deal with initscripts on the server will tell you that.

Well, I deal with init script, and I'm totaly fine with openrc.
Systemd needs to die in the deepest of hell.

You're fine with upstart init scripts? A lot of servers still have Ubuntu 14.04 installed.

Slackware and it's derivatives are great but I'm a lazy fuck who wants the computer to update by itself. Slackbuilds are nice but OBS is nicer.
I do use Porteus and Slacko Puppy on my USB stick. They're also good for normalfags who have a habit of fucking operating systems, because you just reboot them and they're fresh again.

I don't run Linux and don't care about systemd. But it's nice that it exists because it acts like a decoy.

You better run BSD.

how is slackware better then gentoo? it doesnt even have a fuckin package manager

BSD contains proprietary shit

What do you run?

every linux without systemd is better than bsd, and you can easily remove proprietary stuff from kernel and userland

Gentoo Base System release 2.3

I've been running OpenBSD for a long time, but I'm not really happy with it. 80's computers and even TempleOS are a lot more fun, but for networking I need something else, so OpenBSD is enough to limp along for now. But it's fundamentally flawed, despite being better than other main OS of today. It relies on careful secure coding techniques and mitigations, rather than addressing the root problems of security. To actually move forward, it's necessary to have simpler and more transparent systems that can actually be proven to be secure at every level, and that's 180-degrees opposite of the botnet hardware and exploit-hunt extravaganza that's in vogue today. The very profitable security industry would die if we had such computers. Also big business and governments would lose a lot of power if they can't hack into computers and networks and monitor everything constantly. So there's a conflict of interest, which is probably why we'll never see good computers anytime soon. The only way to do it is if we build them ourselves.

I've used slackware for a long time, there's never been a distro I liked more. Praise "Bob".

Yes. SalixOS. A really nice Slackware spinoff.

Gentoo is the only other Linux I would use. But I'm lazy af so I stick with Slack.

Because Arch exists.

Beyond gaining a basic understanding of computers why would it be necessary to understand EVERY abstraction provided by manufacturers?
Wouldn't it be more productive to just read recent papers written by experts in such fields instead of donating so much time to a thankless effort?(Unless that's your hobby.)

Thanks to my knowledge of how computers work, I know that they can be automated to handle menial tasks for me. That is why I use Ubuntu.

I know how my pc works but I'm also a lazy shit so that's why I use xubuntu.

This seems to account for a big deal of the current opinion of most hackers (in the original sense of the word) about the current state of computing. I can only agree by the way.
An idea has been growing on me: we should do without general purpose operating systems altogether. Maybe my idea is biased because I'm learning forth. But having switches and bridges running linux... a motherfucking linux kernel just to forward traffic over the network for fuck's sake.
The industry has been killing the fun in computing mang, I see these high high high level languages that just clutter the language space with slightly different versions of pretty much the same thing, just to provide a framework of abstraction to lure people in.
One example is Erlang and Elixir... what is elixir but fucking Erlang for pythonistas? hell I'm mad

*because parabola exists

Erlang for Rubyists*

I've been using Slackware for ages.

Using Slackware doesn't teach you how your computer works.

It teaches you how Slackware works.

Just using slackware doesn't teach you how your computer works, indeed.
But if you want to learn how most aspects of linux work it's a great way to get started. The boot process, the package manager, and all the system configuration is as barebones and readable as it gets.
By knowing how linux works on the user level you get a better idea of how a regular operating system, and thus, your computer, works.
Of course you can use any linux distribution for that but it really doesn't get much simpler than slackware.

is that like windows 11 or something?

I love slackware. Because gentoo requires too much maintenance and the rest are infected with systemd, this is the one I want to use. It's simple and gets the job done.

I know a number of Slackware long-timers that have switched to Void recently. I guess it's basically the Slackware of the 21st century.

C'mon faggots, it's a legitimate question.

You'll learn equal as much with gentoo as you would with slackware. Doesn't gentoo use vanilla packages as well?

You didn't answer the question. How does it help. What do you learn when you build all your packages?

Not that user but you learn how to manage dependencies on programs, so you will learn how to fix programs if your safety net disappears

Okay then, what's so important about dependencies? From what I understand, so long as you've got the depend, you can install the package just fine, right?

yes but sometimes its not as simple as google dependencies install them and run, plus it will get you familiar with the dependencies commonly used for trouble shooting and such

Why the fuck is it my responsibility to troubleshoot a piece of software's package dependencies? That's the fucking responsibility of the maintainers, not me.

You asked what you would learn and I told you

ah okay.

Slackware does not contribute to the Linux community, it never did.
Ubuntu, Fedora, Redhat, SUSE Linux are trying their best to take linux computing further by actually developing stuff. What did Slackware ever do. It's been there for ages. It survived so long but yet to achieve ANYthing. Much like a cockroaches that survived ice age but never really obtained anything meaning full like Dinosaurs or Mammoths.
This might hurt you but Slackware community is a poison that Linux has no use for. What did they ever contribute to? Developing/contributing to BTRFS? Snapper? Kcraft/Kernel hotpatching? FreeDesktop? GNOME? KDE? Wayland? Mir? Snaps? Flatpak? LXC containers? OpenZFS? OBS? Convergence? KVM? High-end Xeon (or instanbul) support? GRO? Systemd-ui/kcm? KIWI?

I'll tell you what slackware ever did: Bitch and moan about systemd - because bitching and moaning is ONLY what Slackware is good for. It's pathetic and has a negative effect on the community.
The slackware userbase is just as pretentious: they never did anything productive because they are too busy in going to online forums to show off their manual dependency management skills instead of getting real things done. They will NOT like to admit there's no dependancy management because there's a sever lack of devs as mentioned in the number one reason in Slackware faqs. They'll BLINDLY follow what their cult leader do: use an abandonware bootloader and preach its superiority over any other bootloaders, or sperg about how vanilla their distro is.
When they are asked why they use the distro they ALL will give you the same brainwashed, mindless response: "Because of stability".
The users seem to forget the simple fact that Slackware does NOT fix ANY (again: ANY) upstream bugs. So if there's any bug in x-org or gtk, those packages will be just as buggy in Slackware as in Ubuntu. They just seem to forget that Slackware isn't more stable than other distros with the SAME bugs that causes instability.
Some of them will claim "Slackware doesn't have distro specific bugs"
However as I write this Slackware has had total of 35 security vulnerabilities: 9 of which is DoS, 13 remote code excecution, 10 Overflows, a memory corruption, a login bypass and 3 privilege esclations. (CVE details)

Now I know what you are thinking: "I should put my feet on the backpedal and claim it has ((less)) distro specific bugs"
Excuse me? I heard slackware is a "vanilla distro". If it were SO great, why are there vanilla bugs. If you are comparing to distros that are ten times more usable like ubuntu, I'd trade those bugs with usability and productivity. Ubuntu has paid, professional maintainers unlike an unemployed community of hobbyists.

I think we should completely exile them, they can move to BSD or some other garbage.

Why are you so upset? Slackware is run by discordians, do you really expect them them to give up their precious slack? Hail Eris!

He's some fat 39 BMI faggot from /g/ who got BTFO for bitching about Arch on every single thread it got posted, and now he pretends to be a OpenSUSE and KDE fan but still shills his Freedesktop windows-isms every time someone talks about Debian or Slackware.

The linux kernel has nothing to do with this in enterprise equipment unless you want to larp that your MikroTik is somehow a real switch. It is just usually there to provide a user and application interface to control the ASICs. Except for lower end switches where it has to punt packets to the CPU for processing.

Guess what? Fuck the "Linux Community". Because there is no such thing. You sound like one of those Ubuntu fanboys who want every soccer Mom everywhere to use "GNU/Linux". Protip: that still won't get you laid.
^FTFY
Then ignore us. Are we hurting you by existing? If so, then maybe you shouldn't exist because holy fuck are you a zealot.
Garbage. Never heard of it. Don't care. HomoSJWS. More HomoSJWS. Runs best on Slackware Ironically, plus what is KTown? Don't want/need it. Who gives a shit honestly. Nope. Doesn't ring a bell. Disabled them on muh Slackware. Don't care. Nope. Fruit.

There you go again about "community". Hey: Fuck you and your Home Owners Association OK?
All we need is Patrick, AlienBob, willysr, and those other two or three guys. We're doing fine "dev" wise, broham.
Your cerebral cortex hasn't changed for over 100,000 years. Must be obsolete.
Still only 7 cells thick? Holy fuck, kill yourself.
Find me one quote by Patrick disparaging any software whatsoever. Oh. You can't.
Talk to upstream, nigger. Or just cry some more about a distro that you think is irrelevant.
Liar. 1. And it was fixed.
cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list.php?vendor_id=27&product_id=&version_id=&page=1&hasexp=0&opdos=0&opec=0&opov=0&opcsrf=0&opgpriv=0&opsqli=0&opxss=0&opdirt=0&opmemc=0&ophttprs=0&opbyp=0&opfileinc=0&opginf=0&cvssscoremin=0&cvssscoremax=0&year=2016&month=0&cweid=0&order=1&trc=1&sha=b4ed63b58340d4edda5cc2db49f60dcdc3c0a8e3

What is upstream incompetence?
I'd use Windows 7 before I'd allow Ubuntu on my hard drive.

MAGA
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry, LARPer, not going to google that.
Hugbox. You have to go back.

This is a good rebuttal. I liked the cerebral cortex part too, nice touch.

Sometimes I wish there was a cure for autism.
Like dropping thermonuclear weapons on the approximate location of all of the IRC shitposters now infesting Holla Forums so we could actually discuss technology and not have the retards make the same five "linux discussion" threads in perpetuity.
Ya know, this thread, where they bitch about "freedesktop" and "package managers" and anything they don't like is "windows."
Such a sad mental illness.

What would you have us talk about then?

Here's a nice tl;dr if you're not familiar with the fat fuck.

Wow you seem pretty above-it-all. Don't run out of oxygen while you're up so high above us faggot.
Here's an idea: reddit/r/technology maybe?

Genode on seL4 will be a solid step in that direction, especially if seL4 gets ported to RISC-V or OpenPOWER8.

I find your lack of slack disturbing.

We don't want to contribute to the GNU/Linux community because the GNU/Linux community is absolute dogshit.

Post more bob stuff.

Hey guys, I am really curious about this OS. I am a user of Linux Mint, and really I'm not a very advanced computer user or terribly skilled... I do like how using Linux Mint has forced me to learn new things in the way of command line functions, using repositories, setting up .sh files, etc in order to get it to function properly - is this what the OP meant about learning more about your computer? Does Slackware kind of force you to research in order to get it to function properly? I am interested in learning more about computer science and Linux, and I finally have a chance to go back to college this year, so I really want to try to get ahead of the curve in any ways that I can. Thanks for any advice or pointers anyone can give me or any heads up about Slackware.

All in all, I would just like to keep learning about Linux and anything computers related in general.

I'm curious but I dont want to run an operating system that I don't know how to operate when I have a lot of work to do and can only be done from windows because only windows is compatible with the hardware and the software that i currently use and have to.
Note: If I want to learn about computers I don't need to make linux my main OS. That's autism. If I want to learn about computers I can take a Phd from internet explorer browser considering the amount of data you can learn from only by googling and downloading books. If I want to experiment I can choose from one of the buggy distros that already exist but why the fuck would I want to use something creepy uncompatible for my needs when windows is the only real option to survive in a corporate and academic world?

PS: Fuck off all the autists, you will never know what's like to live normally while using linux as main OS.

Close enough.
Not really. Your first question will be "how me get muh wifi going"? The answer is make /etc/rc.d/rc.networkmanager executable. It's all documented on the install DVD. It's not a hold-your-hand distro though. I used Debian Stable for 10 years and said fuck it. Slackware is actually much easier to deal with.
Once you get Slackware set up like you want, your learning curve can really plummet. It just works, is sable af, so there's really no need to keep learning anything.
Advice: learn how to use slackpkg and pkgtool. They come with Slackware. Know the difference between Slackware "proper", and add-on stuff like slackbuilds. Read the Slackware forums at linuxquestions.org. Don't be daunted by the topics --many super smart people post there and discuss deep shit system-wise, but you don't need to be "smart" to use and enjoy it. From the Slackware General Info page: designed with the twin goals of ease of use and stability as top priorities.
Just go for it mang.

I started out with slackware almost two decades ago and used it for years. I now use debian. Cry me a river, n00b.

Why?

Getting it set up is part of the learning curve user.

This fucking guys gets it. Also, Slackware has existed for ages and had good reason to keep doing things exactly like it has been. It's the first distro that taught me how to git gud. Also, as the most relatively vanilla distro of them all, there will always be a purpose for it from a developer's perspective. Basically, has his head far up his ass and should go back to sucking pedantic Pootering clit.

/thread

Apples and oranges. Arch is excellent for what it is, but it's no Slackware. Slackware will give you a complete suite of desktop software right off the bat, if you choose to do so. Arch is minimal. Also, once it comes to stability of a complete desktop solution, Slackware has virtually ALL distros beat. Each release is tested extensively for bugs. Where as Arch is intended to be bleeding edge.

Also there's this thing now:
robigalia.org/

It barely exists so far but the whole direction is very encouraging from an OS research perspective. Genode's future proofing is limited by being C++ and XML stitched together with recursive makefiles.

Honestly once sandboxed applications of some sort take off as a cross distro packaging standard, most of us would be better off on Slackware.

It's Elementary OS.

Cool

Arch Linux out of the box is more bloated than a Debian or Ubuntu net install, minimalist my ass.

Great bait. Arch takes up like 700MB on a fresh install. With all my files and programs, it's taking up 14GB. And that includes the ~4GB debian .iso in my downloads folder.

Yeah great b8 m8

wew lad

No I use CRUX instead to really know how my computer works. In fact I'm using LibreSSL as well, Try that on Slackware.

CRUX is the closest I can get to having simplicity and a BSD style init.

CRUX:
Point Releases
Base system with optional xorg and contrib repositories
Ports for everything else.
Easy to configure
Package management is extremely easy. (ports -u, cd to port, pkgmk -d, pkgadd)
No systemd, BSD style init system.
Extremely easy to add custom ports

he's actually kinda right user

lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

i still prefer arch tho

Void Linux is the Slackware for the modern era.

Are you implying that computers are insecure by design? What about the computers that these big businesses and governments use themselves?

Uh, isn't that simply replacing OpenSSL with LibreSSL? At worst it'd require rebuilding all packages, and that's just tedious, not hard.
I'm thinking about building a musl version of slackware, but again, that's just extremely tedious.

You have great taste, user. I'd actually say that CRUX (or sourcemage) is the closest to NetBSD (which itself is the closest to 4.4). Gentoo, on the other hand, is the Freebsd one. Maybe Alpine can play the role of OpenBSD?
The only problem with CRUX, is that it only supports amd64.

>bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=561854
If only.

The main reason why I use Slackware is because I grew up on DOS so it's a comfy distro for me.

I use Fedora because I know how my computer works, but want to do normal person work.

Slackware is for lazy people that have the time to compile every little program by source. I use Debian because I don't want that and 99% of Linux users are the same.

In other words, Slackware is an OS created by a lazy fuck for lazy fucks, it's designed to make you do the work and people want an OS that does the work for them, or at least makes it easy to make the computer do the work.

"by default"
it's the default option in the install but right there with it is the option to choose what you want to install.

Yeah, it sucks issuing two commands then resume shitposting while the machine does the work.
Enjoy your Debianized binaries lovingly assfucked into ".debs" by random college kids.
Millennial detected
slackware.com: "designed with the twin goals of ease of use and stability as top priorities."
I ran Debian for 10 years. Slack4lyf because it's the most Unixy Linux you can get w/o going full-gentoo.
I only wish I could run Slackware with a BSD kernel. Or have a UNIX that's actually usable as a desktop system.

cringe

developer.amd.com/resources/developer-guides-manuals/
software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-sdm

Why did you bumped this thread you stupid nigger?

Arch is fucking shit though.