AMD Zen leak (serious)

This pic speaks for itself
And this is an engineering sample

PajeeTech: wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-review-leaked/
Source: cpchardware.com/cpc-hardware-n31-debarque-kiosque/
Frog here, this magazine is legit.

Other urls found in this thread:

cpchardware.com/cpc-hardware-n31-debarque-kiosque/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_(microarchitecture)#Enhanced_security_and_virtualization_support
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterogeneous_System_Architecture
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That first link says they'll be releasing 3 versions of the Zen processor, SR3, 5 and 7. I'm guessing the engineering sample is an SR7 equivalent, because that's the one coming out in Janurary.
$350 for a processor that nearly stands up to a $1000 one doesn't sound too bad for a performance/price comparison. At least now Intel will have to get off their asses and make better processors instead of dragging their feet.

WIll it come with PSP? I wouldn't feel secure without it.

>Source: cpchardware.com/cpc-hardware-n31-debarque-kiosque/
That isnt a source, its them saying they released another issue of their magazine.

It is not even a real benchmark, it is some undefined combination of a bunch of benchmarks. OPs source is shit, and no wonder the only other people using it is PajeetTechf

Where's the vega leaks already?

Isn't this thing exclusive to windows 10 or am I wrong?

XPcucks go home

Am I not?

There are no Windows 10 exclusive processors, stop repeating this bullshit. AMD and Intel just aren't going to develop and maintain drivers for old versions of Windows so you won't be able to get the most use out the new features. Remember, after the first 4 processors in the Zen line are released Windows 10 will be just 4 months short of 2 years old, and only 9 months after Zen comes out mainstream support for Windows 8.1 will end. Most companies don't have an interest in supporting legacy OSes with the newest features of their new hardware when the new hardware isn't something you can just drop into an old machine without needing to reinstall your OS.

That graph if real is showing MUH CORES and not single threaded performance as they have the 6900k way over the 6700k. imo CORES buyers don't touch anything that isn't a Xeon because they're also RAM buyers so I'm not sure what market AMD is going for with this.

and for linux?

All AMD processors after Piledriver do. Co-processors to manage DRM and perform other operations that a user doesn't actually need are the future.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_(microarchitecture)#Enhanced_security_and_virtualization_support
It's necessary for AMD's new memory encryption feature to work.

Don't forget to question UEF as well. As UEFI exploits can end up being just as bad as a potential backdoor in AMD's PSP as they can potentially run code in SMM.

It'll get the same level of support that they've given Linux for their previous processors. What the hell are you expecting, Bill Gates to finally come out as the Antichrist and announce on national television that you have to accept the mark of the botnet to use a computer?

Well as long as the OP says that it's serious

Look at the cover (Ryzen vs core 7000)
and
Translated:

While it's true, those are all free software applications that make use of cores. It may not replace actual benchmarks with GCC on a POSIX OS, but it sure is not a "Skyrim 640x480" bechmark.

Look at Naples CPUs.

Yep, won't buy it (or will use it only to crunch stuff). But what remaings to be known is if the PSP has the same network capabilities as the Goytel stuff.

And for mac?

Up to Apple to make drivers for it. If they release a new Zen-based mac they'll do that. If not you'll have to wait for the community to do it instead.
From what I've seen in hackintoshes, AMD processors are harder to work with, if they work at all.

who the fuck even uses psp anymore?? no good games.

Is this sarcasm?

Looking at the bars in that pic, Ryzen's showing 60% performance improvement over AMD FX-8370?? And their target they advertised was a 40% improvement?

Seems I'll be buying Ryzen when it comes out!

>no drivers :^)

The cover isnt a source. A source would be something i could read and point out flaws in. I'm not going to buy some frog magazine to talk shit to OP

Pfft, I don't care about benchmarks.
I'm gonna buy Ryzen just because.

You have to suck the drivers out of a long fleshy tube before you can use them.

the most retarded idea ever. because if you need a high core core and GPU why the fuck would you want both on the same die. the thing will shitty performance compared to seperate gpu and cpu

tbh this reads like you're an autist who measures his self-worth in winning internet arguments. smh tbh fam.

recommendation:

Whops, I forgot that Holla Forums doesn't actually do any programming.

The GPU in the Zen APU Opterons isn't going to be some tiny thing which is there to run a monitor, its a large and made for compute.

then you'll have a chip which dumps out 500 watts of heat and will need a car radiator strapped to it. again there is no point.

It will probably scale the clocks and number of active cores to maintain the power draw below the package maximum TDP which will be somewhere around 250-300W. Much like how the IBM Power8 CPUs turn off cores when they increase the clock to maintain power draw at no more than 250W.

As I said, it will then be effectively useless for most applications.

Not really, in HPC applications often when you are doing heavy GPU compute you aren't doing heavy CPU compute and vice-versa. You often only need one or two cores to launch as many CUDA kernels as you want/need.

Its rare to need simultaneous heavy CPU compute and heavy GPU compute and the lower latency and higher bandwidth of the APU between CPU and GPU is very attractive to a range of applications. They just aren't used at the moment because APUs so far have been weak but the Zen Opteron APUs are looking like they will change that.

But can it run Crysis?

Then you'll be using real GPUs which aren't gimped by having to share die space with CPU coars.

then you dont need a operteron. this isnt 2000, it isnt going to have only 2 cores.

Any killswitches or other privacy, value, or performance dealbreakers?

Do I really need an APU like this if I want to just play muh Steam DRM gaymen on Linux?

Its x86

No the point is that because they share the same die you can quickly switch between CPU and GPU. Since HSA* makes switching between CPU and GPU basically seamless you can write code which moves between the two processors.

For instance say you have an algorithm with inherently serial parts and inherently parallel parts (an example of such an algorithm would be SHA2), traditionally you would either have to run all of it on the CPU or all of it on the GPU since the low bandwidth and comparatively high latency of the PCIe bus would make switching unfeasible. However with an APU and HSA you can write code such that it switches between CPU and GPU seamlessly to take advantage of the strengths of the two processors for the different parts.

In this case the CPU isn't working when the GPU is and vise versa, because of this you can run the respective parts of the APU at full speed without going over the rated TDP.

* en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterogeneous_System_Architecture

So it can't run Crysis?

wut? they can both process things at the same time.

No, HSA just means they have shared memory, which integrated GPUs have used basically since forever. And GPUs have had DMA access since forever too. All this does is lower latency which is only useful in very niche applications.

This whole APU thing is nothing more than a marketing gimmick for the most part by AMD. Show me a single application that anyone on Holla Forums would use in which this would actually be worth waiting for outside of a poorfag gayming laptop.

And for HPC it will be very niche, and this will be completely BTFO when you start seeing Xeons with integrated Altera FPGAs.

One thing I could see it being used for is physics simulations for games. Bullet has a GPU based physics solver and you could dump that on the IGPU while leaving the main GPU for rendering.

Otherwise, PCI passthrough. Host uses the IGPU, discrete for the guest.

This isnt APU specific and is already done by GPUs.

How retarded are you? Having a CPU render graphics when a GPU exists? Do you understand why GPUs exist? Do you want to play something more advanced that wolfenstein?

Again not APU specific and is retarded as well. Use a type 1 hypervisor, pic related.

are you this guy?

Or you could read the post.

Clearly you need glasses, or are just a retarded fuckwit. System has 2 GPUs, one integrated on the APU, the other discrete. Integrated graphics card does the physics simulations for frame i+1 while discrete graphics card renders frame i. The entire point is the system has this lower powered graphics card that can handle GPU accelerated things while leaving the higher powered one for rendering.

But you're retarded and are just gonna move the goalposts, completely ignoring what you actually asked.

That isn't right but his point is 100% correct. Where an object is rendered can have nothing to do with where it actually is. They usually are lined up, but there is no inherent need for them to be. If you have a square with a upper left corner at (0,0) and side length of 10, everything inside (0,0), (10,10), (0,10), (10,0) will be 'in' the square, however you can draw the square to the screen so that it looks to have an upper left corner starting at (5,0). This is entirely possible and what you see and what the actual data says can be very off, in this case you will lose 50% of the real area if you go by just what you see.

Usually things are drawn so that they occupy the same space that you see, however there is no inherent need for that to be the case, and you can easily change that.

Not the guy you're replying to, but I don't personally have interest in anything more advanced than Wolfenstein. Quite frankly if it can't run on 80's computer, I don't care about it.
Also, GPU is hell for drivers, a lot of them have to be reverse engineered. My current laptop doesn't have working GPU, and neither did the last. I don't need them though.

Whatever it was 5AM. And anyways that projection, this entire conversation is about what the fuck does a Operteron with a APU do for any of the autists here on /g/.

again this is nothing APU speific and is just a crossfire/sli setup.

Again, dat projection. And again, what the fuck does a opteron with a APU have that is in anyway beneficial for anyone here over a CPU+GPU. This all started with this post -

APUs in general? If I ever change my desktop for security/freedom reasons (which would pretty much guarantee something either less powerful or not x86 compatible), then I would totally consider building a cute slim mini ITX box for my games as current APUs can already handle the newest games I play and the Zen based APUs will supposedly be comparable to the old GTX560 Ti that I currently have.

Posting images because autismus

I still have to go with jewtel because im on
and bullshitdozer is shit

No. This has already been addressed. That was a bit of MS propaganda.

Wanting locked down "DRM-built-in" proprietary hardware.

Looks like I'll be ditching my 4670k setup for this next year!

The performance benefit from having the CPU and GPU on the same die is pretty minimal. It's just a slight decrease in latency. There may even be some performance loss due to the extra load on the shared memory controller. The negative impacts of increased heat, power and cost would far outweigh it. For the same price you could have a much more powerful dedicated GPU.

HSA is all about sharing memory and allowing the CPU and GPU to work simultaneously on loads, ideally each processor getting the workload that suits it. They don't need to be physically on the same piece of silicon for this to work.

APU Opterons are not going to exist, Zen Opterons will probably be CPU only like the current piledriver Opterons.

Let's drop the smalltalk and get to answering the real question that's on all of our minds - How many cores does it have?

did you read the article?

No, it was idiots repeating shit they didn't understand.

having weaker performance of cpu because you use not supported OS?

peasant.

a little competition is always good. Also both of them need to get off that diversity bullshit.

Those numbers seem completely arbitrary and not at all related to any competitor's product

its state peddled ideology just look what happened to Mozilla CEO

So what? still loses to Intel.

I'm seriously wondering just HOW AMD still can't even match Intels performance anymore even when Intel has become a lazy monopoly who stopped giving a fuck.

At least maybe this will motivate Intel to stop being lazy but seeing as AMD can't even seem to match them I can't see that happening either

I guess AMD will never be able to compete with Intel for the huge market of diverse people who use their computers to encode H264, encode H265, calculate prime numbers and run raytracers simultaneously.

Are you seriously trying to imply the market for dedicated cryptographic hardware and video coding is niche? Because if you are then you'd fit right in working for AMDs marketing research teams

No I'm totally serious that they'll never be able to compete with Intel, who provide the best 720p Experience for racing games on the leading VLC Gaming Platform while AMD only supports unrealistic use cases like running OpenGL games at 1080p60 while transcoding and playing back video on 3 monitors.

Not a fair Apples to Apples comparison user, AMD also makes dedicated GPUs, Intel does not. Intels GPUs are more tooled for GPGPU shit, you know, shit that serves a practical purpose on-die, and for light gaming.

If comparing an APU netbook to an Intel Ultrabook isn't fair then I don't think I can deprogram you.

Well, it also makes you a retard, because the AMD E-series used in most netbooks can barely compete with Intel Atoms.

Atoms can run DX11 now? Congrats, Intel has caught up to where AMD was 5 years ago.

Thanks for clearing up the purpose of APU.

How about the huge market of diverse people who run single-threaded applications?

It's an engineering sample, these programs are probably compiled with ICC, Windows probably isn't neutral.
tl;dr wait for real benchmarks and commercial parts.

Why don't you just go back to reddit?