I've got a request to make from any Mac users here

I've got a request to make from any Mac users here.

How much telemetry do Mac's transmit? On windows, a netstat command reveals a shitton of Windows telemetry connections to Microsoft datacenters. On my linux machine, the command below shows no connections at all until I start browsing or make any network connections:

watch -n 1.0 "ss -tur | awk '{print $6}' | egrep -v 'Address:Port' | uniq -c"

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/drduh/OS-X-Security-and-Privacy-Guide
discussions.apple.com/thread/7256669?tstart=0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Go back to reddit

Chill out m8. Serious discussion here.

It leaks all kinds of shit. You don't have to guess either (nor does anyone else), a lot of the phone-home stuff is done over port 80.

Yeah but what?
What's interesting are the IP addresses it's connecting to.

Maybe I should clarify. For the hell of it, I decided to search online for help about turning off mac telemetry. Almost nothing turned up, it was mostly advice on turning off Windows 10 telemetry. The only advice for Macs was an issue with Spotlight, and all the advice pointed towards GUI settings that could disable it.

I don't believe for a second that Spotlight searches are the only thing being sent to Apple, but there's really no way of telling unless you're on a Mac with a terminal open.

For the record, this code should work on a Mac:
watch "netstat -antu | awk '{print \$5}' | egrep '[0-9\.]*:[0-9]*' | uniq -c"

It lists the IP addresses of all the open sockets, which are all the connections your machine is making.

github.com/drduh/OS-X-Security-and-Privacy-Guide

Thanks! I heard of Little Snitch, but I haven't seen this guide before.

Its paid software. 30-40 bucks i think

Do you realizes that it's non-free/libre software ?

Can you understand that even if you try to monitor your macs hardware that apple can put specials rules so that it does not appear in the said mac statistics ?
Or even better they could add it to the hardware if they didn't.

An even lets say you find something and block it.
Windows and apple aren't retarded they have other backdoors somewhere to put it back somewhere else.
Or it's via an update.
Etc...

You have non-free/libre software user their is no compromise on that.

--RMS

Yeah, not bad for what it does though. There's another interesting tool called Little Flocker that restricts what applications to to individual files.

Arguably Windows is worse, and they give no fucks that anyone can find out telemetry is happening.

If Apple decided to backdoor every BSD/Unix program on their OS, I'll be surprised. It's still a Unix based system, and as a computer, it still can be manipulated to do whatever the fuck you want. Otherwise, there would be no malware.

Yes and no
They system has indeed a bit more flexibility
But it's retarded proof, I got a friend who is getting completely mad about it because compilation under make is shit (schools is forcing the use of the said mac), he is basically emulating gentoo into it (without admin privileges)
So that he can program and compile normally.

Do not think like that.
And by that don't assume that it's not already backdoored.

It non-free/libre software their is nothing to trust from an entity that gives no freedom/transparency to it's users.

It may be backdoored, but subverting cli tools is a pretty major effort that they're not very interested in developing. They'd much rather implement some other shitty idea like big emojiis. It wouldn't be very difficult to detect that these tools were subverted either.

got any proof ?

Like said before
we cannot trust software that takes away the four freedoms.
It's has simple has that.

Don't make suppositions, you have to be sure of that.
Their is nothing that proves us that they haven't backdoored their software.
And they have, for example did anybody could stop their software to upgrade automatically to the Sierra update ?
discussions.apple.com/thread/7256669?tstart=0
Well maybe by being offline.
But that's not the solution in that example apple has taken away freedom 0

Trusting non-free/libre software is like having blind faith.
Would you trust someone based on just blind faith ?
Like said before again there is unfortunately no compromise.

stallman is a fanatic.

Yeah he's pretty nuts. Here's an example of his GNUNet GUI.

top kek
You never have read anything on gnu.org go documented yourself

First of
RMS hasn't developed in years.
Second
The guys in that project are mathematicians, developers and experienced in cryptography.
They don't give a shit or have the artistic talent to make it look good.
They just took the first shit that was available.

I just checked out your link about the updates, and it's just retarded people who have no fucking clue how to manage their devices. I have an iPhone, and it has never automatically updated anything. I believe Macs also do not update automatically, unless you let them.

Common sense. Analytics tools like ptrace and dmseg will reveal a lot more about the OS, including any shady stuff going on in the background. I can guarantee you they haven't redeveloped their entire OS stack either to bypass tools like this.

You have to remember a computer is not a box of magic. Shit has to run logically, and someone will eventually find stuff you do your best at hiding. Case in point, the NSA keys Microsoft had on their machines years ago. That was definitely not supposed to be found.

have you ever been with casual people ?

So you ask people to trust you on blind faith ?
Not gonna happen.

Yes I no that.
But it's an enormous pieces of abstracted hardware and software.
Something so big that it can't be maintained by one person.
Something where you need every piece to be free/libre to be sure that you aren't being abused.
And other than being abused you need it to be free/libre so that you can have tools that are to be trusted.
Can you trust a piece of non-free/libre software that will diagnose your car ?
Do you imagine all the abuses that can and will be done ? (and has already)

Because that's the first thing you think of when you make software LOGOS and shinny stuff.

All of it.

No, I don't think you do.

Your English is as broken as a Paki's and you dismiss away tools like ptrace. You do treat a computer like a box of magic.

not everyone's a burger or English here.
Not relevant to the discussion, unless you are trying to discredit my statements via BS methods.

No I didn't.
To rephrase what I was implying.
When a software is so big and so abstracted where do you look ?

Sure you can try to look what does what follow the leads but why bother to look in a non-free/libre software ?

All the tools are already available.
You have the freedom to do what you want you don't have limitations.
You don't have to reverse engineer to prove that x does y etc....

So why use a software that is in the end is tyrannical against users/developers freedom.
A system that imposes a mindset of use, where elsewhere you already have most of the job already chewed up and if you aren't satisfied you have the tools to make it happen.

Well "it's a kind of magic" don't you think ? ^^
I treat a computer has it is, pieces of hardware/software with lots of abstractions to understand, witch cannot be fully understood by only one person.

this is horse shit.
my os x installation at home didn't forcefully install any major updates, ever. (currently running el capitan)

btw, sierra is utter crap, it breaks lots of things (for example mouse wheel in many applications), frequently crashes for no apparent reason and gives almost no valuable things in exchange for that. so, just skip this update.