Vapoursynth master race

If you have autism, what's your excuse for not using Vapoursynth to filter (deinterlace, inverse telecine, sharpen, crop, denoise, etc...) your videos? For those who don't know, this is a clean multiplatform Avisynth replacement made in Python (the code to actually do the editing - plugins and core - is c(++) and asm, obviously).

Pic related, what you get in mpv opengl-hq with the default deinterlacer (yadif) and what you get in vapoursynth with the following script:
[email protected]/* */> cat script.vpyimport vapoursynth as vsimport havsfunc as havfcore = vs.get_core()clip = core.ffms2.Source(source=FILE)clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip, width=768, height=576)clip = core.std.CropRel(clip, left=12, right=12, top=4, bottom=4)clip = havf.QTGMC(clip, Preset='Very Slow', TFF=True)clip = havf.LSFmod(clip, defaults="slow", Spwr=40, preblur=True)clip = core.warp.AWarpSharp2(clip, type=1, depth=2)clip.set_output()[email protected]/* */> vspipe -y -p -a FILE=Gunsmith_Cats_t00.mkv script.vpy out.y4m

Some resources:
vapoursynth.com/doc/
vapoursynth.com/doc/pluginlist.html
l33tmeatwad.com/vapoursynth101/using-filters-functions
forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?s=760192eff94747282b1fba93a380ea61&f=82

Some highlights:
-BM3D, best denoising filter possible (even better than NLmeans)
-QTGMC, highest quality deinterlacer (same as the Avisynth one)
-Waifu2x, neuron network based anime denoiser/upscaler

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V3KuJCX54Bo
mpv.srsfckn.biz/)
vapoursynth.com/doc/avisynthcomp.html
vapoursynth.com/doc/functions.html
vapoursynth.com/doc/pluginlist.html
thepiratebay.org/torrent/5746330/Beavis_Butt-head_The_Complete_King_Turd_Collection_V2_(100_)
avisynth.nl/index.php/External_filters#IVTC_.26_Decimation
vapoursynth.com/doc/autoloading.html
forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=173907
forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=171295
forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172496
brewformulas.org/
pkgsrc.joyent.com/install-on-osx/
github.com/4re/vapoursynth-portage),
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Filters of any kind of for shit-eating casuals.

You're retarded if you put mandatory stuff like deinterlacing and "improvements" like sharpening or denoising in the same bag.
What's for casuals is heavy and indiscriminate filtering.

those two images look same to me

I suggest you buy a new eye pair.

Because I'm too comfy with VLC desu.

That's not really a video player comparison. mpv is better though.
Pretty sure VLC has the same "problem", which is that you must choose between realtime and quality for deinterlacing.

Nice post, faggot.

My argument is havin eyeballs, retard. Will these help you? Do I need an argument for saying that the sky is blue?

Also, don't follow my retarded example. The order should be deinterlace -> resize -> crop.

I don't get my source material from shredded VHS tapes.

Yes, those were very helpful. Those allowed me to see that it is about making images (or frames in video?) less blurry.
Thank you for being patient and explaining things to me.

Gay. Listen to this though: youtube.com/watch?v=V3KuJCX54Bo

A lot of stuff is still on DVD (DVD9 if you're lucky). And DVD mean MPEG2, not square pixels and most of the time interlacing/telecine.

That's not the point. Unless you only look at the thumbnails, the images are obviously different.
But yeah should've explained that QTGMC = deinterlacing, LSFMod = sharpening and AWarpSharp = warp sharpening (making edges thinner).

I'd love to use it, but I use mpv on pajeetware and the builds I use (mpv.srsfckn.biz/) don't compile with vapoursynth support.

Is there a complete manual like for Avisynth?
Last time I checked there wasn't one, and it was not obvious at all what should I `import` and how do I fucking read video files in various formats. So I dropped it.

Sadly, there's no good wiki like Avisynth but:
-You have vapoursynth.com/doc/avisynthcomp.html vapoursynth.com/doc/functions.html
-You only need to import functions, not plugins
-Usually, use vapoursynth.com/doc/pluginlist.html and follow the links to have a quick manual
-To read files, use ffms2 for everything

Really, the only annoying thing is getting doc for havsfunc (it's in the source itself; a big python script).

really?
are plugins bundled already or how to make them werk?

btw thanks for the links, I'll probably take a look when at home and not too busy with serious business crap.

Is it possible to use this to properly de-telecine/deinterlace complex video shit that's seriously fucked up?

For example this one thepiratebay.org/torrent/5746330/Beavis_Butt-head_The_Complete_King_Turd_Collection_V2_(100_)
it has regions with different type (telecined, interlaced, both, none, all with varying field order), is it possible to make it gud without manually tailoring a script for each problematic segment?

Never had to deal with these, so I don't really know if it's possible. Ask on doom9 if you really want to learn.
Or there's avisynth.nl/index.php/External_filters#IVTC_.26_Decimation (see PFR).

No, you need to download them (don't know how you need to do it on Windows; there's an overlay on Gentoo).
vapoursynth.com/doc/autoloading.html

After searching a little, here's what I found that could be interesting.
forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=173907
forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=171295
forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172496

I can't tell the difference.

I wonder how FLAC autists would respond to something similar for audio.

I'm more interested in OS X.

I'm more interested in OS X.>>694515

That's easy answer.

Unlike video, which takes TONS of space when stored losslessly, audio is easy to store losslessly (unless it's some dumb crap like SACD which shouldn't be never created and should rot in hell).

Therefore it's no big deal to have both original version and some processed if needed. And then if some better processing is developed, it can be redone.

And most audio records which actually have value also do not need any "fixing", they are fine as is.

What? You can't really compare since audio doesn't have the same distribution problems. FLAC makes sense because lossy audio codecs progress all the time.

Faggot. I hope you use Portage or pkgsrc, and not a crippled system like homebrew.

What exactly is crippled in homebrew?

Video codecs/coders do progress, too.
Remember the days when there was no x264?

When I said "FLAC makes sense because lossy audio codecs progress all the time.", I wasn't comparing with video; just replying to the archiving bit.
And video codecs actually don't progress that much when you want a quality similar to x264 crf 16-18. Most gains are in the >20 area.

And I won't compare the functionality set with portage (ebuild, overlays, etc...).
Basically, you want reliability? pkgsrc
Features and packages? portage

Also
>brewformulas.org/
>pkgsrc.joyent.com/install-on-osx/

But user my player already does this

That's the point of the thread. That the realtime filters (for deinterlacing) are shit.

So what?
Nope, it works across different versions of OS X. Just as designed.
Define "real support".
Things usually just werk, and if not, tweaking some formula is easy and it doesn't have to be merged to master in order to be usable locally.

But it's already reliable for me, I have zero issues.

Pls give a specific example of useful functionality which can be done in portage but not in homebrew.

I hate when people use package count as if it's a good metric for anything, those numbers are always counted differently. Some people count each package including things like the same software for a different architecture, some break things off into modules, some offer redundant packages when using modules too, like "package-full", "package-lite"+"package-module-x", and some just have a lot of shit nobody even needs. Package count is such a stupid thing to focus on, looking for specific packages and versions is what it important. Not to mention platform integration.

I'm not saying to use homebrew over pkg-src nor am I saying to use pkg-src over homebrew. I just hate seeing people use that metric as if it means anything of value when everyone counts it differently.

Slow and retarded.
That's still one OS and one Arch (unless it also works on ARM or whatnot). Having to support more than one arch/OS makes clean and portable code a necessity.
Go to a bugzilla and have the problem solved for you when you can't do it easily (some packages like llvm require some dark magic to build and intall correctly). Things being updated more regularly.
Windows Media Player also "just werks".
Are you retarded? Overlays (e.g. github.com/4re/vapoursynth-portage), slots and USE flags.

m8, even if it's counted differently (at least for portage, it's counted "normally", there's even less stuff than in other distros because you don't need a 'pkg' and 'pkg-qt5'), it's really more.

No it doesn't. As far as I remember from days when I used wincucks, WMP is total crap and can't even handle some mainstream formats like FLAC. Plus tons of vulnerabilities when it tries to install some "codec" after opening specially pumped wma file.

However, if there's only one arch, it doesn't prove that the code is not clean.

>Are you retarded? Overlays (e.g. github.com/4re/vapoursynth-portage), slots and USE flags.
What the hell is it, why is it even needed, I do not understand tbh.

maybe it's retarded (I guess in the same way as python) but what's the big deal with it? all languages are retarded in some ways or other.
and the "speed of ruby" doesn't matter here because it's not a bottleneck. it doesn't affect downloading speed, not compilation time, it doesn't even affect the fucking archive unpacking time, it's done in lower level codez.

Simple way to make and share your own repo (that can override some packages you already have). Example: this useful vapoursynth overlay.
If you want to enable/disable a "feature" for all packages (example, disable gtk3, dbus or pulseaudio for every package).
To have multiple versions of one package installed simultaneously.

Keep playing with your webdev tier package manager if that's your thing. Nothin personnel.