LibreOffice5.4 ships with RibbonUI clone

thought the libreoffice interface was a clusterfuck? we fixed it: now you have four clusterfucks to choose from :D

anybody have an advanced guide to LO Calc? I want to learn more about complex formulas with variables.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.3
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sounds like LibreOffice is full of Acronym-Driven Design these days :^)

All serious developers were working with the OpenOffice team, the brocoders dominated LibreOffice.

Guess what: The brocoders won. People care more about gimmicky bling than boring shit like interoperability, integration, clean code or performance.

It's the future you chose.

Don't tell me you actually like looking at this. It looks like it belongs on an Amiga desktop.

More like word 2003 imo.

got any sauce please ?

Nothing new shinny thing attract gullible people
For you maybe

Also the interface that word 2007 had was very intuitive.
That's the only thing that's good about it.

If this new interface is has good has the 2007 microsoft version people will throw themselves at it.

Absolutely cancerous. Thankfully being libre software you can turn it off and go back to proper toolbars.

The split between OpenOffice and LibreOffice was basically IBM and Oracle wanting to work on making OO integrate well with existing corporate tools, you know things like Lotus Notes, SAP and the like, expunging the code from cruft, better Windows performance and improving compatibility with MS Office formats. Red Hat, on the other hand, just wanted to work on pretty themes, shiny new "features" and the Linux desktop.

Red Hat won. All other distros replaced OO with LO and now OO is on life support. This new GUI is exactly what LO was all about, all looks and no substance.

Interoperability is not a problem when the interoperating formats are free and open to all. Legacy MS Office formats are neither.

m8 all the original OO devs moved to LO after Oracle bullshit.

LO has done much more to get a faster and less crufty office suite, one of their earliest endeavors was to convert the codebase away from java to C++.

All that said I fucking hate the ribbon, MS Office 2003 was the peak in office tools, since then they've just been gimmicking to justify sales.

Looks nice

lmao

And they chose a logo that looks like a pile of shit in a cupcake. They got that right at least.

I don't mind if they make the ribbon an option, but I really, really hope it never becomes mandatory. It's one of the reasons I switched away from Word in the first place.

that's interesting but LO developed librevenge a massive undertaking to make legacy formats first class citizens.

I miss the sheer simplicity of ClarisWorks / AppleWorks. Everything used to be so clear, stark, pure, uncluttered. Why can't anyone do this kind of interface anymore?

Calligra suite exist.

I wanted to say "enjoy having vlc player, qtwebkit and a lot of other shit as a dependencies" but turns out, Calligra 3 was just finished, so here's hoping that it will only depend on half of KDE and not the whole of it.

You guys realize that several users (especially companies) asked for a Ribbon-like UI, right?

You can not use it and work with the old interface. Or you can keep complaining and making up stories about how awful LibreOffice developers are despite adding new features and improving with every release, whatever floats your boat.

It wouldn't be a problem if you use plasma desktop.

Clarisworks was pretty cool. When I was younger, there was one Windows computer in our classroom that had it.

Just use LateX for everything.

Amiga programs normally used the RMB menu at top of screen (like a Mac, not inside window like Microsoft).
Some also had toolbar like Deluxe Paint, and pic.
The problem with this libreoffice thing is they're trying to do everything, so it's silly to use it for writing simple document (which is all most people do).

"The companies" is very vague and seems to be a way to mask the forced adoption of such useless interface changes. This is the kind of line they'll push when they have to justify the change to all the users who were already comfortable with the old interface. It's just a way to make them shut up and suck it down.

as opposed to installing entire mac os for appleworks?

ok

this tbh.

i started using LaTeX and haven't looked back. I write all my documents in LaTeX using emacs and haven't used a wysiwyg office editor in years.

Nice. RibbonUI is much better than the autist toolbar shit libreoffice used to have.

If you don't like it, don't use it. The old interface is not going away.

"The companies" may sound vague, but it's true. Show LibreOffice to Normie's and the first thing they'll tell you is that the UI looks old and ugly. It's also the excuse some idiots in Germany used to try to keep MSO in their PCs.

Just use the regular interface.

they did that so Microshit Office users can easily migrate to LibreOffice u cucks

Ssshhhh, secret club.

Microsoft already made that easy in 2007.

As opposed to the future where zero-days go unfixed for longer than Internet Explorer's high score of 219 days because not even the OpenOffice developers could figure out how to compile their own code.

But how do you think this ribbon interface got popular in the first place?
It's beecause it was force-fed, not because people were unhappy with the old interface they were already fluent with.
All these arbitrary changed are forced on everyone, and only then does the new interface become "normal", eventually (after a lot of groaning). And because there's really no other choice, people will accept it eventually. The average person doesn't just install Linux because Microsoft fucked up the stuff they already knew. They're kind of slaves, so they go along.
And this way Microsoft gets to get more money on training and tech support, while at the same time giving validity to new OS version. Look, we improved the interface! (HAHA SUCKERS!)

I miss the sheer simplicity of mspaint.exe. Everything used to be so clear, stark, pure, and shit.

I kek

Openware in a nutshell right there.

I preferred the sidebar tbh

You can still have that. This new UI change for Libreoffice is one choice that you can choose. This sidebar interface isn't going away.

If OP wasn't a retard, you'd realize this is all optional.

wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.3

Learn to read.

Thank god. I always get shit for this but pre-2007 I found the Word UI to be a disorganized mess, when the Ribbon came out I switched from openoffice to MS and started happily using office for everything, it was just that good for productivity.

These days LibreOffice is superior again, but you had to give up the UI from office for it. Well not anymore.

You anti-ribbonfags could never bring yourself to say "hey, I think the current UI is better, but I can see how you would prefer that one". You kept shouting about how that's how it was back in my day therefore it's the only way. Well now the tables have turned, I hope you're not expecting any sympathy.

As long as I can dump MUFFIN and go back to a normal menu/toolbar setup it'll be fine.
The problem comes when it's shoved down our throats without alternative.

Hmmm.

OP intentionally made it appear that it was enforced. And all the different toolbar types are customizable.

Oracle has never made anything good. Anything good from Oracle is the result of a recent acquisition.

I said that there were four interfaces, if you're too retarded to read the thread or find the announcement when it's saturating twitter, reddit, and hacker news then get fucked I can't help you.

You're a liar.

I'm just mad that LibreOffice doesn't like OpenGL desktop environments features enabled. It freaks out when I enable the cube.

Are you using Compiz? I don't have that issue.