>user, I forgot to flush

Holla Forums, how can I learn to design interfaces that don't look like shit?

Functionality is easy enough; if the destination (desired functionality) can be defined, then it can be reached.

My problem with interface design is that I don't know what direction to take with the appearance of my designs; the destination cannot be defined, so it cannot be reached.

Are there any resources you'd recommend someone who's trying to improve their design sense?

Other urls found in this thread:

elementary.io/docs/human-interface-guidelines
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

just use c# and drag and drop in vs lmao

Probably search up some UX guides you dumb cunt.

Lelementary was the first distro to publish a HIG: elementary.io/docs/human-interface-guidelines you should find the HIG for your platform and follow that.

Google adopted a strategy that defines the problems of design as a chosen outcome that it AB tests with data, however nobody has ever praised google for interface design, and they've started coming up with absurd outcomes like "brainwash this user to vote for hillary clinton". I would advice not pulling a google.

Broadly the best interface is the smallest viable amount of interface: group related elements, file away set-and-forget settings in subwindows or subviews, and use some of the elements of design (scale, position, border, arrangement, etc) to create a hierarchical composition that looks pleasing.

It's not really all that hard.

CLI

That might not be a terrible idea. You could write the bulk of your code in whatever you want, then call it from a C# GUI project. WinForms runs on Mono, and I think GTK# can be run on Windows.

Find someone with carpal tunnel, ask them to use your interface, if their carpal tunnel goes off your interface sucks.

I'm more talking about the subtle design choices for any UI
examples:
even if I'm not doing this programatically, the process doesn't get any more self explanatory

off the top of my head some good examples of UI design are Guitar Pro 5, ollydbg (x32dbg and x64dbg fix a lot of small things that were retarded in ollydbg), and Sony Vegas. ignore what "professional graphics design" and similar shills tell you, they are just trying to make money by justifying their business. you shouldn't even be doing much in the sense of colors/themes etc, just use the default UI toolkit style. no matter what you do, if you use automatic compact layout, it's probably going to look okay. If you're designing a web application you're just pretty much fucked.

THIS. for starters, make sure your UI doesn't make me carry my mouse to some tiny "okay" button on a modal dialog box

anything that calls itself "UX" is probably just web 3.999999999 hipster hype.
I rest my case

If you don't include a beautiful dark theme by default in current year you're doing it wrong and if you're not letting the user customize wherever they might want to you're also doing it wrong. Layout and appearance are entirely dependent on what you're making, but a lot of programs have piss poor color theming when you would think it would be one of the easiest things to implement, and it pisses me off.

Just Use Bootstrap™
t. Bay Area Pajeet

Read the book of the ajax guy:
"The Elements of User Experience".
There should be a pdf somewhere around.

Tk

The HIG is your holy bible.

DO NOT try to be a smartass.
DO NOT try to reinvent the wheel.
DO NOT deviate from the HIG unless you absolutely have to.
DO NOT use non-standard colors, buttons, window decorations, anything.
DO NOT use the same interface across different platforms where it contradicts the HIG of each platform.

It made sense back in 1984.

Take art classes

On the topic of Dos and Donts, Do provide an option to use the system font settings, but also provide an option to override it with your own font settings. This is particularly relevant for chat programs, and one of my greatest dislikes of Discord because they don't fucking do it. Steam does the same thing even though they used to provide an alternative.

Coincidentally, those two programs also break the one of the most important rules of UI design. They don't use the system UI style, instead opting for a shitty flat UI which doesn't clearly differentiate between button and borders.

Based off of those two observations, they'll also probably break a number of other good design practices in a quest to be oh so unique and special.

Use the OS defaults. By that I don't mean copy-paste the OS color values, I mean literally use the variables the OS or your GUI library gives you. That way your program will always fit in. When the user themes his desktop environment your program will adapt as well then.

',:^)
I hate botnets as much as the next guy, but that's simply not true.

The term has existed pretty solidly for nearly two decades now. You must be underage.

Fuck off, edgelord.

After you kys faggot