I fucked right on up

I fucked right on up.

Normally I'd keep this within the general thread, but I haven't gotten a reply for two days on any chan and I'd like to figure this out.

Long story short, I disabled USB boot in my laptop BIOS because I am a huge idiot. Due to a malfunctioning keyboard, the actual laptop keyboard has been disconnected and isn't functional enough when connected to access BIOS.

Because I am a huge idiot and also pic related/I don't know what the fuck I'm doing, I tried every trick in the book to reset BIOS, removed both batteries, manual jump, combos thereof.

It clearly worked: I ran into another issue where I reset CMOS and got the same screen: RTC clock low, press F2.

Then I learned that UEFI stores the variables, so no resetting legacy USB for me. Today I set up a liveUSB with a .tmp img from the relevant BIOS update. Of course, it did nothing. I am aware that I probably set up the wrong image and am happy to give that route another shot if anyone could point me in the right direction. However, I'm getting the impression that this RTC wall is going to prevent me from doing even that.

I have tried a variety of keyboards (USB wired and wireless as well as ps/2 to USB; no ps/2 port.) in all slots. I have a new keyboard arriving but most likely not for a little while, and it's coming from china straight to the ghetto, so I have no certainty it'll ever arrive.

Any suggestions? Do I have any options other than waiting for the keyboard? Is there some way for me to create a bootable stick for the UEFI/BIOS that'll boot without legacy USB enabled? Either Linux liveUSBs I have don't boot.

Other urls found in this thread:

support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200005673&osId=38
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This makes no sense. You disabled USB booting in your BIOS. And then you couldn't boot? Because you dont have a internal HDD and only booted off USB?

Find the manual for your laptop and follow its instructions. If you're too retarded to even tell us the model, how do you expect us to help you?

In resetting the CMOS, I come to a screen that says "RTC power low, press F2 to enter setup." With a functional keyboard, pressing F2 takes me to BIOS (with the date and time set to 2009) THEN to GRUB.

I can't get past the screen without pressing F2; even though my boot order is set to USB before HDD, I can't boot from either liveUSBs I have, nor can I get to my boot loader to access either OS.

I didn't include the make and model because I actually don't think it's super relevant until needed (i.e. I have all of the appropriate firmware available and documentation.) But since you asked nicely, it's a Toshiba Satellite S55 A5294.

There's nothing in the documentation, either physically or online, that has helped me get past a screen predicated on a key pressed when the computer doesn't recognize any keyboard. All the bios reset or flash options require keyboard use. Enabling USB requires entering BIOS.

Let me know if you're still confused, I guess I wasn't clear enough in my OP.

Just to be perfectly clear: my issue is not that I can't boot, it's that I require a USB keyboard and can't get past a pre-BIOS screen to my boot loader since I disabled USB legacy (in a moment of pure idiocy.) I'm wondering if anyone knows of any way to rectify this, either by forcing my computer to boot into the USB bios flasher (without keyboard input) or by re-enabling Legacy USB without keyboard input.

install gentoo

jeb.png

download more ram

Use a PS/2 keyboard like a real man you cunt

Was reading about your dilema and thinking of solutions until I read:
I mean, I understand trying EVERYTHING, but you really should have stuck your dick in a toaster or something first before trying to work a BIOS with a fucking wireless keyboard. That's just beyond retarded. It's like quantum retarded: combining and traversing between every conceivable learning disability there is, simultaneously.

No port, ps/2 to USB port didn't work.

Good idea. I just deleted my system32 folder to save space, I'm gonna reboot now

It uses 2.4GHz before bluetooth, and has worked for me in accessing the BIOS before, but thanks for your informed post.

On second thought, though, I hadn't thought of the toaster thing. I'm gonna try that real quick.

Try, F8, F6, F11, F12

what the hell is the problem op? dont you have a usb keyboard?

USB legacy does not mean you can't use usb, it means you disable USB booting.

You can't use Wireless keyboard because because wireless keyboards requires an os that has its driver installed. go to a goodwill and buy yourself a USB keyboard.

Read the OP. I have a wired keyboard. It is not working.

No response from any keys. Toshiba BIOS standard is F12, F10 or Del is rule of thumb. No keys work.

Also, your driver comment is misinformation and isn't true.

Your legacy USB comment is also full of shit, come to think of it.

therewasanattempt.jpg

And just to be preemptive before anyone else figures they have the answer after reading half a sentence and unleashing their NEET rage: yes, all ports work, yes, all keyboards work. Tested the ports with a mouse that powers on when plugged in then immediately goes out. Also tested all devices including same mouses on different computer. Likewise with LiveUSBs. The problem I have outlined is in fact the problem I am experiencing.

Any ideas on resetting the BIOS values in NVRAM on a hardware level? I tried removing the memory completely (no boot, duh) and booting from just one stick (trying both) to no avail. I'm afraid I don't know much about NVRAM or where it's stored, and while jumping with a screwdriver or taking out components are one thing, my soldering iron is across state lines and I'm not going to go that far at this level of incompetence. I don't have another PC to mount to - though I did find an old cheapo tower + display for $30 because some normie couldn't google shit - that I could potentially use (if not for this purpose, for another) if there's some way to reset the NVRAM (or wherever the BIOS values are stored; feel free to correct me.)

I got an update China, the keyboard is at least on its way.

Update: 1) again, anyone know if it's possible to reset NVRAM on a hardware level?

2) the file that I used in an attempt to flash was most likely the wrong file, anyone care to hold my hand through making a stick that works?

Under BIOS:
I used the top file, 1.8. I wrote it to the drive using writeromfile, which extracted all the files, including an ISO & -a launcher.exe, among many others. Running the launcher within the drive failed. I then used Rufus to write the ISO alone to the stick, which created a .tmp file. Booting with stick did nothing; again I can't use my keyboard to force USB boot (and it's already configured to boot from USB first.)

I take it I should use the BIOS flash file for 1.6, although I won't have access to a Botnet 7 computer until tomorrow and can't find any way to do it from a Mac that isn't for itself. Given that the laptop is a pre-installed Windows 8.1 using UEFI, I'd still need to burn the drive as a ms-dos drive, correct?

Please help, I am extremely ignorant in this regard and I'm not paying pooinloo tech support to tell me to send it to them.

I'm 90% sure I've read the exact same post a year ago. Help

Yeah, I'm getting the general impression that my problem is not fixable with current means (ie hardware solution = replace BIOS chip) and that tech is failing pretty hardcore on reading comprehension itt.

Anyone willing to hold my hand through making a bootable USB out of the 1.6 flasher file? I used writeromfile to burn the exe to the drive for 1.8 and it extracted the files (including an ISO and a launcher), the launcher failed to install within the drive.

Do I have to make the drive a MSDOS drive (for UEFI windows 8.1 native) as opposed to a fat32, and if so, what file(s) do I write to the stick?

I am currently not in a position to unarchive the stick since I've only macs handy. (I do have a liveUSBs of ubuntu laying around if there's a gparted route that's feasible.)

Is there a way to do this on Mac?

I'm going to continue to bump this thread until someone who can read responds

Try pressing the fn key plus F2.

I have tried that.

The keyboard is not functioning, because Legacy USB is turned off. So any solution that involves using the keyboard will not work at this time.

I think your only option here is to replace the built in keyboard. Just need to defend the package from Jamal and you'll be good.

NVRAM is, well, non-volatile RAM. It doesn't require a constant power source so removing the battery won't help. Unless you can find an exact duplicate chip and resolder it where the old one is, you're stuck with the fucked BIOS. Unless that particular model has a jumper for it or something.